PDA

View Full Version : [OT] help with my radeon 9700 pro

CryptoChronic
23-08-03, 06:07
On my computer at home which is 1.5 ghz athlon xp, asus mobo, 512 mb pc 2700 ddr ram, geforce 4 ti 4200 128mb i get much better performace on almost every game than my brothers computer which kicks mines ass.. it is 2.53 ghz pentium 4, asus mobo p4 pe mobo, 1 gig pc 2700 ddr ram, scsi 10 thousand rpm hd, radeon 9700 pro... with my geforce 4 comp the fps is much higher on almost all games .. like wolfenstein enemy territory and suchh..... we both got the latest drivers...so what could be the problem???

Mattimeo
23-08-03, 06:11
Both computers using DX9? how about the quality sliders? FSAA or AF on? Mother board settings? all of these can cause major differences in performance.

CryptoChronic
23-08-03, 08:10
both with dx 9 and both on lowest anistopic filtering and antialiasing

Mattimeo
23-08-03, 10:55
I'd check the quality sliders as your culprit then. at the highest settings, even without FSAA and AF you can lose alot of performance. but then again, you also lose some of the reason to own the 9700Pro. other than that, I have no idea, unless some of the games you're having issues with are GL, the radeons have really poor performance in that arena.

Voodoochicken
23-08-03, 17:40
What are your actual fps then?

ie. Are both your fps unlocked from the monitor's refresh rate?

Or if you're running in open GL and he's using direct 3D, that makes a huge difference to fps in games like unreal tourney (old game, but..)

Maybe he's running everything in 32 bit textures, etc.. and you're in 16 bit?

other than this.. meh.

I don't care.

[edit] also.. I suppose it could also depend on BIOS settings (how much RAM is allocated to video usage), or maybe virtual memory settings [/end edit]

Scikar
23-08-03, 19:07
Get Omega drivers for the ATi card, they rock. Also check the OpenGL settings, Wolfenstein runs on the Q3 engine which is OpenGL, not Direct3D.

CryptoChronic
23-08-03, 22:43
how do i know if the fps is locked by the monitor?

CryptoChronic
24-08-03, 00:56
i found out why i am getting shit performance... its a common problem with radeon 9700 pro .. AGP Texture Acceleration is not enabled.. in dxdiag it sais not available for some reason... i have tried every fix i found on the internet and nothing worked...

Scikar
24-08-03, 05:07
If your FPS is locked to the monitor that means VSync is enabled, and you can tell if it's on because your FPS will never be higher than your monitor's refresh rate.

As for the acceleration, I have no idea.