PDA

View Full Version : Uplinks: Change the bonus ?

JediMasta
22-08-03, 20:17
Ok atm uplinks give a +50 point hack bonus. WTF is the point in this ?? Uplinks are currently the most useless ops as of this.

How about a change of bonus to give a boost to implanting or to tech combat, etc ?

Any thoughts/suggestions ?

ghandisfury
22-08-03, 20:20
This will hopefully change with hacknet.:rolleyes:

SilentGravity
22-08-03, 20:21
Originally posted by ghandisfury

*snickers*

JediMasta
22-08-03, 20:23
Lol yeah, hacknet :rolleyes:

At the current rate of features such as DOY being released, we should see it implemented by Christmas 2010 :D

Breschau
22-08-03, 20:25
A bonus to tech combat would be even more useless, surely?

At least with hacking some uplinks (northstar for example) have a use in hunting - you can hack the warbots in the same zone without actually using int points in hacking.

But would you honestly want to rely on an outpost to use certain guns? Cos high tech combat doesn't do any good [clarification edit: 100 t-c is identical to 300 t-c in the current game].

Maybe just replace uplinks with factories and labs :p

Mines don't strike me as very useful either, really. Unless you are making literally hundreds of ammo/psi booster/drug, the cost/time involved in getting to your outpost outweighs the money saved in cloning instead of selling the junk and buying the items (esp. if you have access to a barterer). I'd be mildly surprised if anyone has the tolerance for tedium to create many weapons/armor/vehicles from junk with recycling either.

JediMasta
22-08-03, 20:33
Originally posted by Breschau
A bonus to tech combat would be even more useless, surely?

lol, thinking back yes :rolleyes:

KimmyG
22-08-03, 20:42
I alwatys liked the Idea that uplinks showed were people are in the surrounding zones.

Mankind
22-08-03, 21:03
Belts - Don't drop in a warzone so it's absolutely useless.

OPs - Obviously if you are taking the OP you don't get the bonus for hacking so again, useless.

Warbots/Other Monsters - Useful. Instead of wasting 50 points into hack, my monk could actually fight warbots and be able to hack them with the bonus for owning the OP.

But I would rather have a +50 ppw, or +50 psi, or +25 apu or ppu for owning the OP. Wars would be interesting :)

Arcadius
22-08-03, 21:05
+50 psi resist would be a great advantage for the op owners.

Omnituens
22-08-03, 21:10
Originally posted by Arcadius
WINNER

Progenitor
22-08-03, 21:13
I alwasy assumed that they would become usefull once the fabeled HackNET comes about.

Otherwise not much help at the moment.

Are there any uplinks in zones where WB/WBTs or Hovers spawn? Doy bots?

At least it would help in opening them up to get the loot out.

-p

Mingerroo
22-08-03, 21:14
LOL @mankind, your sig is HARSH! :p :D

And as for the bonus. I'd love to see hackent implemented but they don't even know what they'd like it to be yet (apparently) so I doubt it being implemented in the near future.

I think OPs should have more of a functional role in all sorts of day to day features such as the GR change being important and makes owning an uplink slightly more necessary for travelling.

I have no idea how they could change uplinks but they shouldn't remove the hacking bonus because some people (look up) appreciate the bonus. I suppose the owners of the OP could see a ZONE list rather than a LOCAL list, and anyone not within local range shows up in a different colour on the list.

That way they are easier to defend, but less wanted so it kind of balances out. :) Thats just an idea. Or perhaps the owning clan could blast 3 pulses of DESTEALTH every 6 seconds or so if they want, destealthing everyone in the sector :D As a stealther I think that would be pretty cool.

Final idea is that the owning clan can get a snapshot list of all people in any selected sector. (to represent satellite images) including their rank, class, clanname, clan rank and name. There should also be another second list generated of all vehicles in that zone.

That would make it cool for a number of reasons;
When your OP is being attacked you would send one person to the uplink (there is a special terminal there for the owning clan to use, maybe even the hacking terminal) to check who and what competition you are going to see at the other OP.
Uplinks would become targets as a means of stopping the above action, making attacks much more tactful and plotted around the map.
Because of the above, you shoud be able to, somewhere in the cityterm, single out all OPs owned by a single clan, so that you can plan your route etc.
Well that is a much better idea than a destealther in my opinion, and that way they are kind of the PPUs of the OP world, although not directly offensive you still want to get rid of them first :p. Is it worth making that a second brainport idea? :D

.Cyl0n
22-08-03, 21:23
yup at northstar you can hunt wbs with that uplink bonus...
i lvled all my chars there :P

.cy

SilentGravity
22-08-03, 21:57
Ummm, maybe a Droner Boost?

Xin
22-08-03, 22:56
Droner boost would be cool, but it would be nice to make owning an op useful to all classes. How about +% xp gain instead?

Frotto
22-08-03, 23:07
Originally posted by Arcadius

Does psi resist even do anything? I thought it didnt... but perhaps this is something that kk has instituted and i'm just uninformed.

Cass
19-09-03, 01:10
Well, I did a search before I started to post this exact same idea. I could have either been bitched at for digging up an old thread or been bitched at for starting a new thread about something that's already been discussed. The first seemed to make more sense. That being said....

+HCK is pointless.

It only works when you're in the zone, and since it's a warzone there aren't even belts to hack.

I propose dropping the bonus from 50 to 25 (bear with me). Then making the bonus SERVER WIDE instead of just in the same zone as the uplink. UP LINK! Think about that word. UPLINK.

This will make uplinks FAR more important strategically, and far more useful to anyone that owns the outpost.

Allied factions should get zero bonus, because that's kinda screwy too. Why should an allied faction get the bonus from my OP that they're trying to take over? (yeah it happens).

EDIT - Nothing in game to my knowledge does Psi damage. All the APU spells and even the kamikaze drones are listed as "fire mode: psi" but they all do force, burn, energy, etc.

Jaggeh
19-09-03, 01:23
how about uplinks have a detrimental effect to enemy's instead

kind of like a reverese fortress.

Ransom
19-09-03, 02:19
While I agree for the most part that a HCK bonus is irrelevant on the English servers, don't belts drop in war zones on both the German speaking servers? I'm not sure about Venus; however there was a difference of opinion between the two communities over whether the belts should drop, so we each got what we wanted.

Keiron
19-09-03, 02:25
I don't really care what they do to uplinks, but for gods sake if you are going to leave them hack don't let anyone outside clan ever have the bonus. I was hacking one for =SSC= awhile back and the enemy op was making my hack easier (due to the +hack bonus). Why should the op *help* me hack it? I know ops like the touch of my uber Droner Hacker, but do they really need to aid my hacking skill?

ZoneVortex
19-09-03, 02:41
Yeah uplinks spawn mobs, all uplinks either spawn Y troopers, HoverBots, or WBs, all which can then be killed and hacked from the Uplink bonus.

Please do not change the bonus :D

Cass
19-09-03, 02:54
yeah but u only need what... 50 hack to hack any of those?

ZoneVortex
19-09-03, 02:57
Originally posted by Cass
yeah but u only need what... 50 hack to hack any of those?

yes.....which is what the OP gives :D

greendonkeyuk
19-09-03, 04:37
I like the idea of world wide bonus personally. I think it should be faction only and not 50 per uplink though. How many uplinks are there? 4 or 5 off the top of my head, sieger, gravis, northstar,...... bah minds gone blank.... but anyway.

What if each op gave its FACTION members 10 points of hack skill? regardless of where they are in the world. Bearing in mind an uplink allows hackers to access the internet or whatever it wouldnt be too far fetched to allow them to jack into their own factions servers (ie the uplink) remotely would it? I mean thats what theyre there for right?

This in turn would provide strategy and usefullness for uplinks as clans could take one or two of these before attacking another op so that their own hackers skills are bolstered a little.

Huijari
19-09-03, 08:00
Originally posted by Mingerroo
LOL @mankind, your sig is HARSH! :p :D

And as for the bonus. I'd love to see hackent implemented but they don't even know what they'd like it to be yet (apparently) so I doubt it being implemented in the near future.

I think OPs should have more of a functional role in all sorts of day to day features such as the GR change being important and makes owning an uplink slightly more necessary for travelling.

I have no idea how they could change uplinks but they shouldn't remove the hacking bonus because some people (look up) appreciate the bonus. I suppose the owners of the OP could see a ZONE list rather than a LOCAL list, and anyone not within local range shows up in a different colour on the list.

That way they are easier to defend, but less wanted so it kind of balances out. :) Thats just an idea. Or perhaps the owning clan could blast 3 pulses of DESTEALTH every 6 seconds or so if they want, destealthing everyone in the sector :D As a stealther I think that would be pretty cool.

Final idea is that the owning clan can get a snapshot list of all people in any selected sector. (to represent satellite images) including their rank, class, clanname, clan rank and name. There should also be another second list generated of all vehicles in that zone.

That would make it cool for a number of reasons;
When your OP is being attacked you would send one person to the uplink (there is a special terminal there for the owning clan to use, maybe even the hacking terminal) to check who and what competition you are going to see at the other OP.
Uplinks would become targets as a means of stopping the above action, making attacks much more tactful and plotted around the map.
Because of the above, you shoud be able to, somewhere in the cityterm, single out all OPs owned by a single clan, so that you can plan your route etc.
Well that is a much better idea than a destealther in my opinion, and that way they are kind of the PPUs of the OP world, although not directly offensive you still want to get rid of them first :p. Is it worth making that a second brainport idea? :D

WINNER

Mingerroo
19-09-03, 20:31
TY :) Nice to get noticed :D

SigmaDraconis
19-09-03, 20:41
I like the HCK....for WB's Y's and Hovers...and the occasional red SL belt...tho most ppl even trying at belts dont need the +50 fro red SL ;D

Also comes in handy when an allied faction owns the OP and you want it ;)

Bevis
19-09-03, 22:30
repair:confused:

flyjedi
19-09-03, 22:41
Originally posted by ghandisfury

yeah if hacknet ever makes it into a retail patch