PDA

View Full Version : Gamecube

Dardalion
22-08-03, 12:00
I am going to get one for my son for Christmas - and am wondering if anyone has heard if these are gonna be going down in price again before then.

I dont think they would be likely to drop the price until after Christmas personally but wanted to know if anyone knows/thinks that Nintendo might do this.

Cheers in advance

P.S. Any comments about X-Box or PS2 will be stamped on repeatedly :p

Smugly
22-08-03, 12:08
No chance of a GameCube price drop in the run up to christmas. They're the cheapest console on the market at the moment, so unless another company pulls a fast one (Maybe Sony, Xbox is doing too well that I doubt they will) it's going to stick with it's higher price list. So check the other console pricetags and see what they do.

Personally, although I bought a GameCube over a different machine, after buying several games for it, I'm now sitting around thinking "What the hell do I buy now for it?"....

sigh... that happened with my Dreamcast too.......

Vampire222
22-08-03, 12:10
yea, oh well who needs one with a fat box to play nc on, but its a great console with lots of quality titles for children on it imo

garyu69
22-08-03, 12:16
GameCube won't be coming down before christmas but you can if you shop around get your son a great bundle deal.

I would reconmend Toys R Us as they have the widest range of bundles available.

I love my GC and it has by far the most enjoyable games available.

Psycho_Soldier
22-08-03, 12:19
Well... if prices do drop before Christmas, what are the chances do you think you will be able to get one before they sell out if they do sell out? I really am not sure since I am just a computer gamer and maybe once every 6 months I might play something on my PS2... console games just can't keep my interest nearly as long as computer games even though it seems that console games are more fun... strange I know.

Mumblyfish
22-08-03, 12:24
I heart my Cube, me. I never thought that I wouldn't touch my PS2, XBox, DreamCast and the like for months because of it, but hey, Nintendo > ALL.

If you want to get some games for yourself, I'd recommend nabbing Viewtiful Joe, Soul Calibur 2, F-Zero and Eternal Darkness (all but the latter are yet to be released outside Japan).

Smugly
22-08-03, 12:25
Originally posted by Mumblyfish

If you want to get some games for yourself, I'd recommend nabbing Viewtiful Joe, Soul Calibur 2, F-Zero and Eternal Darkness (all but the latter are yet to be released outside Japan).

Takes out checklist. References Game.co.uk for release date.

DAMN
DAMN
DAMN
oooh.... house mate has that one.........

garyu69
22-08-03, 12:28
Make sure when you get your Cube that you also grab yourself a Freeloader or an Action Replay. Allowing you to get so many more fantastic games from the US and Japan.

Mumblyfish
22-08-03, 12:31
Aaah yes, the Freeloader is essential. Far easier than modding your cube.

Get Viewtiful Joe + Freeloader combo from Play-Asia. Capcom DEMANDS IT!

Arcadius
22-08-03, 12:33
Gamecube is an EXCELLENT system. :)

But ps2 ownz it. :p

Dardalion
22-08-03, 12:41
Originally posted by Arcadius
Gamecube is an EXCELLENT system. :)

But ps2 ownz it. :p

Stamp Stamp Stomp Stompy Stompity STAMP

I warned you didnt I ? *waves finger in front of Arcadius' face*

Benjie
22-08-03, 12:44
You are unluky!. Curry's used to sell them for 79 squid but they have stopped selling them altogether now.

Gamecubes are Great, so is the Xbox and PS2 though. Please nobody wright any "GC 5uX!" Threads because it's a matter of opinion. Every console is good in it's own way and none of them 5uX.

t0tt3
22-08-03, 12:50
I heart my Cube, me. I never thought that I wouldn't touch my PS2, XBox, DreamCast and the like for months because of it, but hey, Nintendo > ALL.

omg a SXR that think like I do O_o :eek:
Well I played Zelda alot and hey it PWNS on GC :D

Shockwave
22-08-03, 12:52
Erm... i hate to be the person to start pissing on people's parade, but:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/32248.html
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/32184.html

It's not looking good for the Gamecube at the moment. :(

Shock.

Arcadius
22-08-03, 12:52
Too bad link looks liek a retard on gamecube.

*gets flamed by fanboys*

:D :p

Mumblyfish
22-08-03, 12:54
Why not? Nintendo is too proud to let the GameCube just fizzle out. Plus they have the GBA to fall back on.

That, and while the GC is underperforming, it still makes a profit. Isn't that the point of business?

/not a fanboy, but sick of ONOZ PS2/XBOX/GC/MAC IS DYING

Dardalion
22-08-03, 12:59
I never look at The Register as I have some brain cells :rolleyes:

Benjie
22-08-03, 13:00
The GC was crap on release. It's great now but the reputation hasn't shifted. Pitty really because Metroid Prime is better than Halo!

(I am a fan of halo and Xbox so I'm not biast)

garyu69
22-08-03, 13:01
The GameCube is not in trouble at all.

Production was stopped until current stock was cleared.
Nintendo are a long way off dying at all, they have the GBA which Ownz all and they also have a huge libary of in-house characters and titles which are always going to be a guaranteed money maker.

Shockwave
22-08-03, 13:07
Why not? Nintendo is too proud to let the GameCube just fizzle out. Plus they have the GBA to fall back on.

The Gameboy series is possibly Nintendo's biggest earner, yes. Has been for a while now. As to them being too proud to let a console fizzle out, what happened to the N-64? Sony happened to it, and it fizzled. It wasn't anywhere near as successful as it deserved. The same's happening with this generation of consoles (Only this time they've got the Beast of Redmond to contend with as well).

What I'm saying is because of the storming success of it's rivals, plus the fact that Nintendo seem to be turning their consoles into a niche gaming market - it's all 3rd person platformers/shooters, and beat-em-ups - the GC is suffering badly at the mo.

Shock.

garyu69
22-08-03, 13:08
Originally posted by Shockwave
- it's all 3rd person platformers and beat-em-ups - :wtf:

Smugly
22-08-03, 13:11
Well there was all sorts of reasons for failure of N64. Sony is part of it yes, but I tend to put the blame on high price of carts. Bit like today really. The Nintendo president likes to talk about how they aren't making the right games. Bollocks.
He's charging too much for them. I see a game at £40 I end up thinking twice to myself "Do I really want this?" and just like most people I end up thinking "No I don't". Put it back on the shelf and wait for something to actually persuade me to buy it. I don't look at Gamecube advertising, since I don't read it's affiliated magazines. So like the masses, my only information is what I see infront of me in the shop. And frankly it's asking too much for my liking.

Archeus
22-08-03, 13:16
GBA is one of the best sellers (is it a console?).

Got two myself, burner/4 port cable/rechargers and about 15 games for it.

- Total Advance War
- golden Sun
- Yu-gi-oh world championship

most played.

But things get played nearly every day by at least one person.

As for the game cube. I have about 10 games for that.

The only ones that get gameplay now are

- Bloody Roar (undefeated :D)
- Super Monkey Ball.

Nexxy
22-08-03, 13:25
Gamecube sales will go up when gamespy release their tunnel thingie. So people will be able to play games like mario kart online. Online affects the sales on consoles alot, xbox was loosing the console race untill they started the xbox live campaign and now theyre slowly catchcing sony. A price drops probably not gunna happen, though there will probably be some nice bundles about around christmas.

garyu69
22-08-03, 13:46
^
Xbox is no where near the Sales of the PS2.

Smugly
22-08-03, 13:47
Aye. Tis number two everywhere but Japan, but it's got a long way to go to catch up with the Sony Juggernaught.

Nexxy
22-08-03, 13:48
i didnt say it was.

Omnituens
22-08-03, 14:37
hmmm, the console wars.

the gamecube is a good little console, with some game i really, really, want, but im not shelling out for another console just for a few games that i cant get on my PS2.

namely the sonic collection and super smash bro melee.

additional: i heard the sonic collection was due to be ported to the PS2. anyone else know about this?

Nexxy
22-08-03, 14:40
I think the classic sonics are going on the ps2 not sure about the new ones.

Omnituens
22-08-03, 14:52
Originally posted by Nexxy
I think the classic sonics are going on the ps2 not sure about the new ones.

thats the one i mean. its sonic 1, 2, 3, S&K, S&K + 2, S&K+3 and dr robotnic's mean bean machine.

Mumblyfish
22-08-03, 14:56
That one's GameCube exclusive, at least for the time being (Mega Collection).

Sonic Heroes, however, is Multi-platform.

=Chojin=
22-08-03, 15:15
Originally posted by Archeus

- Super Monkey Ball.

PWNS

OMG i love this game . best fun 4 ppl can have with cloths on:D

Ch0

Dardalion
22-08-03, 15:47
Originally posted by garyu69
GameCube won't be coming down before christmas but you can if you shop around get your son a great bundle deal.

I would reconmend Toys R Us as they have the widest range of bundles available.

I love my GC and it has by far the most enjoyable games available.

I tried Toys R Us even though I hate that place

I got the Limted Zelda Console Pack for £129.99 and also got 4 free games with it Medal of Honour, Sonic the Hedgehog (Directors Cut) Crazy Taxi & Turok Evolution.

Got a 2nd Game Pad £24.99 and Memory card £14.99 as well.

Toys R Us total £169.98

Went to Game and bought Crash Bandicoot - Wrath of Cortex & Rogue Squadron 2 for £30

Thx for mentioning Toys R Us M8 I was gonna get the Zelda pack from Game with no extra games originally :)

garyu69
22-08-03, 15:50
Cool.
I didn't realise you were actually buying it today.

I thought Christmas was ages away :eek:

Or did you just want to get some sneaky goes in now ;)

Dardalion
22-08-03, 16:01
Got it while I had the spare cash

I will of course have to test it and all games thoroughly before Christmas to make sure all is in prime working condition *cough*

Im sure it will sound and look great on my 33 inch Pro Logic Sex machine ( ooops I mean TV )

:D

garyu69
22-08-03, 16:12
Originally posted by Dardalion
I will of course have to test it and all games thoroughly before Christmas My Mum did that when they were buying me my first even NES all those years ago.

And like her i bet your real reason is that you just want to be good enough to beat your Son at them ;)

Pi-Oh-Pah
12-10-03, 15:23
Originally posted by Smugly
No chance of a GameCube price drop in the run up to christmas.

LOL they just dropped by £50.00 to £79.99

Archeus
12-10-03, 15:26
Digging up old posts makes baby jesus cry.