PDA

View Full Version : Player-driven distrubtion?

Heavyporker
22-08-03, 00:44
On this other thread (something like "Neocron in HongKong" or something), Rai Wrong, whoops , Wong complained about the rarity of Neocron in a extremely gaming-oriented population in HongKong...

I posted that we, the players, could do a LOT more for Neocron...

blank CR-RW are fairly cheap, right? most of us here have CD-RW drives, right? There's nothing wrong with passing around the Neocron off-line demo, right?

I say that each of us go out and get at least ten blanks, burn the demo on it, then on the labels on them, write "This is the Neocron Off-Line Demo. For more, go to www.neocron.com.", then pass them around to your friends, to others that you meet at your LAN parties or gaming get-togethers, and even to strangers on the street you think might play computer games.

This could make for a small, but significant push towards a larger Neocron population, because if they like what they see in the demo, chances are they will come in and try the world of Neocron.

We just need to staff MC5 so they don't get turned off too quickly, and guide them...

I think that maybe, just maybe, we could even burn copies of the download version and give to said demo recipents (so they don't have to suffer fileplanet) to speed the whole process up.

What do you think?

bounty
22-08-03, 00:46
Even though this game is a blast, I'd kinda feel bad giving this game to a friend and having him have to deal with all the frusteration that comes with learning the game (the bugs, the synchs, the losing your apartment with 30million worth of stuff in it, help not getting back to you for over a week(if at all), etc etc etc.

DarkPhoenix
22-08-03, 00:50
Originally posted by bounty
Even though this game is a blast, I'd kinda feel bad giving this game to a friend and having him have to deal with all the frusteration that comes with learning the game (the bugs, the synchs, the losing your apartment with 30million worth of stuff in it, help not getting back to you for over a week(if at all), etc etc etc.

Why do you insist on bashing Neocron every time you get a chance? Huh? If you dont have anything constructive to post, dont bother.

And HP, I agree, this would be a good idea, all though the offline demo is a bit out-of-date. We might need KK to do an update first. The layout is completely different now.

Dade Murphey
22-08-03, 00:51
Originally posted by bounty

well...uh...other than being lazy and just finding things to complain about...why not give the game to a friend and HELP (being the optimal word there) him learn the game...and maybe try to bring some others in as well...

bounty
22-08-03, 00:54
I do find things to complain about and if you've read my other threads i've tried to offer a great number of solutions. And i have 4 RL friends that have tried it out. One of those is left. I definitely think the population on servers is a problem and the community definitely makes this game better. My point with my post is i would just like to see a joint effort with the publisher but that's a dead horse we all know CDV sucks.

bounty
22-08-03, 00:55
Originally posted by DarkPhoenix
Why do you insist on bashing Neocron every time you get a chance? Huh? If you dont have anything constructive to post, dont bother.

And HP, I agree, this would be a good idea, all though the offline demo is a bit out-of-date. We might need KK to do an update first. The layout is completely different now.

You think that disagreeing with a thought backed up with facts is considered not being constructive? wow, i should just agree with everything that everyone has to say.

DarkPhoenix
22-08-03, 00:57
I saw no where in that post where you disagreed. All you did in your post was complain.

Fordaz
22-08-03, 00:58
I'd have to agree with Bounty... I wouldn't wish this game on anyone, not in it's present state.

The fact is that it's an awful, awful game... but it's addictive. It's like smoking.

DarkPhoenix
22-08-03, 01:01
Im sick of these people coming on the forums and bitching and complaining how awful Neocron is and then say, "But its so addictive." Thats just bullshit, if its so awful, leave. No-one will miss you.

Heavyporker
22-08-03, 01:02
Doesn't matter if the demo is a little out of date - one can learn most of the basics with it, which should suffice to hook them and draw them in.

Fordaz
22-08-03, 01:06
The point I'm trying to make is that it's an awesome game, it's just awfully coded.

The game frustrates me almost as much as it pleases me.

cracky
22-08-03, 01:09
Seriously word of mouth is not going to save this game and I'm tired of people saying it will.

This game has a very hard learning curve and alot of people will leave even if you help them. All word of mouth will do is get it so you have a few more people for you personally to hang out with it won't help the game state at all.

Also before anybody says blah blah I should try it, I have told alot of people about the game and got a few people into it.

Judge
22-08-03, 01:36
I agree cracky, trying to get people interesting is bloody hard. Especially when all your mates are biker/skater dudes who hate games which involve brainpower and who can just about use the start menu on their computers, though they prefer just to use the desktop. :p :rolleyes:

EDIT: I'm not saying anything against the idea, I think its great. But just don't get your hopes up. =/

Rai Wong
22-08-03, 01:43
The better way is hype the game up to people you know telling them how you can play halo style with jeeps and stuff, and explain the story to them. This way they are more likely to be interested in the game because you are making it interesting for him. It works for me I guess because i'm a good advertiser lol. Invite people to your house and show them the game.

Omnituens
22-08-03, 01:47
Originally posted by Rai Wong
The better way is hype the game up to people you know telling them how you can play halo style with jeeps and stuff, and explain the story to them. This way they are more likely to be interested in the game because you are making it interesting for him. It works for me I guess because i'm a good advertiser lol. Invite people to your house and show them the game.
im afraird it isnt the good points in this game that people are remembering, its the bad things.

If people can spread good points to other people, and show the good outweigh the bad, then who knows.

Mankind
22-08-03, 02:01
Neocron has potential, but for new customers to come, it would take alot of work. These are the most common excuses I hear from friends or people I talk to at gaming stores like EB:

"I don't play games online"

"I don't want to pay for a game online"

"I don't like FPS games"

"I don't want to have to train a character to something higher"

"MMORPGs never make it"

The guys at the EB in our mall are weird. They play games like SimCity and C&C. They hate RPG, and FPS games.

And the only friend I have that plays this game has an expired account that he can't pay for because he doesn't have a CC.

FirestarXL
22-08-03, 02:18
You're allowed (http://www.neocron.com/index.php?name=NeoContent&op=modload&file=index&pageID=103) to copy your retail game CD's in conjunction with the trial version, so if you want to give em the full experience then that's one way.

Omnituens
22-08-03, 02:41
Originally posted by FirestarXL
You're allowed (http://www.neocron.com/index.php?name=NeoContent&op=modload&file=index&pageID=103) to copy your retail game CD's in conjunction with the trial version, so if you want to give em the full experience then that's one way.

I never knew that. I might rack off a few copies for some people.

but the fact that im quitting might discurage them.

oh well, what they don't know cant hurt them. :D

Mattimeo
22-08-03, 03:06
When I decided to give retail a try (after planetside completely sucked, and SWG was a major disapointment) I did exactly as was suggested here, I passed out CDs of the install and offline demo. One friend played untill his 10 days was up, one friend still plays, one friend took a look at these forums, said the community was doomed from the start and never subscribed, and one friend aparently never mentioned he was in beta, said how much he hated the game and broke the CDs up :eek: . Personally, I like the game, and I find things to do, but it's not just a lack of advertising that's keeping population back, IMHO.

although when the new semester starts i may have my one friend pass some more CDs out on campus to try and recruit.

Heavyporker
22-08-03, 05:25
quoting mankind:

"I don't play games online"

"I don't want to pay for a game online"

"I don't like FPS games"

"I don't want to have to train a character to something higher"

"MMORPGs never make it"

-----------------------------------------------

1.) Say its always worth a try.

2.) Say that there's a free 10 day trial and that the monthly payments are dirt-cheap

3.) Say that its only partly FPS, point out the RP aspects and so on.

4.) Say that it isn't NEEDED to train your character up really high.

5.) Point out Everquest, Ultima Online, etc etc.

yanbybkipbbpbbp
22-08-03, 06:08
Why dont you just walk around and tell strangers + your freinds how worthless the graphics are, how pathetically KK tried to copy system shock 2 and did not even closely achieved its level, how moronic, illogical, un reasonable the community is, how there is very little costumer support, how the game gets worse and worse by being gimped every day, how KK lies to us and never produces what it promises, how KK spoke of this game as PvP oriented and yet they nerf the PvP every day, how pathetic is the number of people that play this game, how pathetic ARE the people that spend more than 2 hours a weak playing this game, how moronic are the programmers who created this game for the code truly is NOOBISH and the game in result is full of bugs, how long it takes for them to create new items to insert into the game, how that neocron came after AO and AO is much larger, has better graphics, has a humongous player base, does not LIE or at least does not lie that much to their community, how its worth the money and this game does not, how AO produces add-ons every few months and KK nerfes the game every few weeks, how annoying it is to Level chars which are later nurfed by the changes KK makes for no reason, how the carebears have no idea and live an illusion in this game believing that leveling their in game chars actually gives something to their real life skills, and how they screwed this game up for the true vets from beta/open beta, how ignorant the community is, how corrupt the GMs are and the forum moderators, how they lie to you in their faq promising things they never plan to produce, how moronic the whole concept of the game is, how the game claims to be the first futuristic mmorpg when there were so many others that came before it, and were much better with a better community,(10six, AO….), how it is annoying that the game crashes every few minutes on p4 geforce fx and 1.25 gb of ddr ram, how the servers cant even handle over 200 players and remain stable, how………. After all, it is these facts that are true not that BS that you spawn on these forums to continue living in denial and trying to not go to your real life, the one that sucks so much, the one where you have no skills and you have to act so tough and RP in the game because of, why dont you tell people that?

Drexel
22-08-03, 06:54
Ive now got 6 friends onto Neocron & now their starting to sell it to their friends.

It begins ...

(Shame I cant get like a discount for all the referals, oh well fuckit, I just want more people online)