PDA

View Full Version : Re-discovering old games:Shogo M.A.D

Mirco
18-08-03, 02:14
Hey guys.

Tonight I`ve done a deep dive into my box of old games. I`ve recently finished DeusEx and System Shock 2 (with the mod and its great). Well this time my eyes where drawn to a cover with anime characters on the outside and a big Robotech type...erm robot in the background. On the cover it said Shogo M.A.D (standing for: mobile armor division). Let me tell you this game is so great!!! I think this must be one of my all time favourites and its somewhere between 4 and 5 years old.

I had really forgotten about this game. I guess half-life stole its thunder, I think they got out about the same time. Anyways, I just love it when I rediscover an old game and I`m pleasently surprised it has stood the test of time so good. The weapons are great, the comments from the person you are playing are hilarious, cool story and the intro music...ah I can go on and on. Can`t believe this game didnt spawn sequel. And I rarely find it on any top 100 games ratings were there are many games from the same era that arent that good compared to shogo.

None of my RL buddies did play this game which I think is a bit strange. Anyone here played Shogo?

Maybe the spies in Neocron can get the sort of Mobile armor like there is in Shogo( I know, I know. It will never happen). I would squash every tank and monk in sight.

You got Uber-resists? Hmm deal with the foot of my 20 meter high mobile armor and lets see how much squish and crush resist you got. :o

What old games have you guys discovered recently and what makes them still great??

SilentGravity
18-08-03, 02:19
I remeber playing Shogo on zone.com (Back then zone.com was COOL! :p)

ReefSmoker
18-08-03, 02:38
Just finished Space Quest 6 and Leisure Suit Larry 7, tempted to go onto KQ6 now (didn't like the new 3D interface in KQ7 so never bought that), and afterwards I think I'll follow it up with Gabriel Knight I and II.

Forgot how much fun these games were :)

*digs out amiga and original sierra games*

Take care,

ReefSmoker

EDIT : on topic, I liked Shogo MAD, thing was I was more inspired by the lithtech engine than the game itself, lithtech was a step up from the Q2 engine at the time, and those of us who were working on mods at the time seriously considered switching engines then.

RuButt
18-08-03, 02:42
POKEMON!!!!!11111111oneoneoneone

Q`alooaith
18-08-03, 06:00
Some games just last, I play shogun total war still.. some older games have realy good idea's behind them, unlike todays market, filled with FPS's and MMOG's galor, and nary a speck of a space shooter...

Lanigav
18-08-03, 08:07
Shogo totally kicked ass. I love how magically splattery everything was.

Anyone remember Blood? That's definetely a game series that needs to be revivied.

japata
18-08-03, 08:10
Yeah! Pokemons for spies!

VashTheSoldier
18-08-03, 08:14
I found Blood Bowl, Decent,,Wolfenstien 3D,Doom..3 seconds ago..

dL9
18-08-03, 08:24
Been playing Secret Of Mana with friends on an EMU and not too long ago I played System Shock 2 and X-Com.

nonamebrandeggs
18-08-03, 08:25
Beneath a Steel Sky is really good, I haven't gotten all that far in it though :(.

Mirco
18-08-03, 08:30
Originally posted by dL9
Been playing Secret Of Mana with friends on an EMU and not too long ago I played System Shock 2 and X-Com.

X-com was really an awesome game. Didnt like the 3 version of the game. I think it was the third, the one with the 60`s type grafics.

phunqe
18-08-03, 09:04
Originally posted by ReefSmoker
Just finished Space Quest 6 and Leisure Suit Larry 7, tempted to go onto KQ6 now (didn't like the new 3D interface in KQ7 so never bought that), and afterwards I think I'll follow it up with Gabriel Knight I and II.

I get goose bumps when thinking of Larry, Space Quest, Kings Quest, Police Quest.
Man, I need to play them again soon.
I remember Larry I... man was it cool or what. Played that on my 8086 with flourescent display o_O
Then came CGA, EGA and wow - VGA.
I bought a MT-32 sound module from a friend and I remember the Sierra games made very very good use of that. It was incredible. Now THAT was some serious wow experiences. Nowadays we're all so spolied :(

I miss it.

EDIT: here is one of my first computers btw http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=539 :)
The one with flourescent display was about the same, but with 8086 CPU instead and I think no hard drive at first. I think LSL1 played from floppies if I'm not wrong.
My father worked at NCR, so it was christmas when he brought home stuff all the time :p

zonk
18-08-03, 09:09
Civilization 1 :)

XCOM rules :p

CarniFlex
18-08-03, 09:19
/me looks up good ol' fallout 1... and diablo 1, remember playing diablo like nonstop some wekeends when it got out.

amfest
18-08-03, 10:07
yeah shogo kicks some serious butt in the fun factor . . hell i still play it online with some friends... or at a lan party . .we get calls for shogo fragfest :D .. no worries if someone has a good system . . fastest graphics card . . . or a great network card .......it looks pretty good on all systems .. plays great ..and for sure doesn't lag badly at times :D in fact I dig the old games cause of that .. ..

MAGIC CLAW

(did you know if you attack with the doll even though it doesn't do any dmg .. eventually the person you are attacking will start rubbing their eyes and you'll hear a baby crying :lol: )

FireWarrior
18-08-03, 15:19
X-Com ruled.... both Enemy Unkown and TFTD.... my personal favorite has got to be Apocalypse though...

and Shogo was cool... it's a shame that it's almost impossible to play MP in it anymore.

Anybody know why my X-Com games are fucked up graphically? don't get anything exepc a few thousand lines of various colours... like the entire screen was a jigsaw puzzle with the parts all set wrong.... looks like New Years Eve on speed, hash and acid at the same time....

Q`alooaith
18-08-03, 15:21
Originally posted by FireWarrior
X-Com ruled.... both Enemy Unkown and TFTD.... my personal favorite has got to be Apocalypse though...

and Shogo was cool... it's a shame that it's almost impossible to play MP in it anymore.

Anybody know why my X-Com games are fucked up graphically? don't get anything exepc a few thousand lines of various colours... like the entire screen was a jigsaw puzzle with the parts all set wrong.... looks like New Years Eve on speed, hash and acid at the same time....

Xcom Apoc was a nice game I thought... I liked the deflector armor, and how it looked, but the hover chest was better, I could never decide what to take so I stuffed one on the chest and one in the gear..