PDA

View Full Version : THREADS MERGED - Neocron password :(

{MD}GeistDamnit
17-08-03, 04:03
Ok I know there has been a lot of hacking and bullshit going on, but I for one do NOT want to have to type my password in every time I play. I log in and out about 8 to 12 times a day.And I'm sure others do as well.

KK said in next patch they are removing the ability to save your pass word on your local machine. How many of you want this, and how many do not?

please no bullshit in this thread, I want KK to see that this is NOT wanted.

Every other game or program for that matter has a local save.

Lord Cypher
17-08-03, 04:07
Keep the option to save login and password. That or please fix it so that nobody fatales 40 times in 10 min, no sync outs, etc..

rob444
17-08-03, 04:20
I think they should have the key in the registry as they have now, more encryption would be nice.

KimmyG
17-08-03, 04:35
how hard is it to remeber ur password.
IS the password nerf to much for u nibs?

FirestarXL
17-08-03, 04:49
Who said anything about remembering it??? O_o

It's about getting back in as fast as possible after a crash - typing in a SECURE password adds time that you don't want to waste after crashing while zoning into a hostile sector.

KimmyG
17-08-03, 04:52
Lame 2 secs to type in?

Flea
17-08-03, 04:59
dude, some people have long passwords or complicated ones so nobody could find them out, also if you are in the middle of pvp, you are gonna want to get in ASAP. if KK didnt remove parts of replies for flaming, you would be covered in third degree's right now.

{MD}GeistDamnit
17-08-03, 05:41
Originally posted by KimmyG
how hard is it to remeber ur password.
IS the password nerf to much for u nibs?

it's not about that.

picture this, I have 1 different password for each game, or program or forum I use. I store all of those on my pc, I have a sheet with them as well, but as an artist I have sheets all over :wtf:

so I depend on my locally stored passwords because it is supposed to be secured. If kk is too goddamn inept to securely handle this, I should NOT suffer.

Mankind
17-08-03, 05:46
As I said in my other thread, that's what I loved about neocron's login system. The save password option is great. It's only morons who ruin good things. It's frustrating when people keep making the developers change things. I for one am pissed, and what I am more pissed about is that a thread like this doesn't even matter now that they have made their choice. Here's my thanks again to the idiots who ruined something I liked:

THANKS IDIOTS!

ericdraven
17-08-03, 05:50
1) The user is mature enough to decide if he wants the password saved or not. I do not need anyone to tell me what i have to do.

2) Actually it does not increase the security but decreases it. Keyloggers are more common than trojans which sniff your registry.

3) Just because there are A FEW idiots around it does not mean that ALL OTHER players have to suffer because of them.

Kaden
17-08-03, 05:52
Hang on a minute. Fine, one option would be to make it more secure, but it seems to me that they are offering an instant solution to a problem that has caused a lot of people misery. I mean, isn't it better to be safer rather than sorry? What would u rather have? KK offering a solution now, that admittedly isn't the best in the world, or them offering the better solution a lot later, and keep having peoples accounts hacked?

btw, sorry if this doesn't make sense, it's lile 4.30 in the morning, and I'm knackered

Obsidion
17-08-03, 05:52
Originally posted by FirestarXL
Who said anything about remembering it??? O_o

It's about getting back in as fast as possible after a crash - typing in a SECURE password adds time that you don't want to waste after crashing while zoning into a hostile sector.

Same thing about getting back to the game and all... but I don't know what my password for Neocron is!!! If they change it I'm screwed!!!!

ok.. not really... it's one of about 10 that I have, but I'd rather not go through all those... I know, I'm a lazy bum.

~Obsidion

ericdraven
17-08-03, 05:55
Originally posted by Chief O'Brien
Hang on a minute. Fine, one option would be to make it more secure, but it seems to me that they are offering an instant solution to a problem that has caused a lot of people misery. I mean, isn't it better to be safer rather than sorry? What would u rather have? KK offering a solution now, that admittedly isn't the best in the world, or them offering the better solution a lot later, and keep having peoples accounts hacked?

btw, sorry if this doesn't make sense, it's lile 4.30 in the morning, and I'm knackered

If their solution would actually increase the security then i would support it. But it does NOT. ;)

thewarrior008
17-08-03, 06:33
Originally posted by {MD}GeistDamnit
Ok I know there has been a lot of hacking and bullshit going on, but I for one do NOT want to have to type my password in every time I play. I log in and out about 8 to 12 times a day.And I'm sure others do as well.

KK said in next patch they are removing the ability to save your pass word on your local machine. How many of you want this, and how many do not?

please no bullshit in this thread, I want KK to see that this is NOT wanted.

Every other game or program for that matter has a local save.

REMOVE THE PASWORD SAVING THING!!!!!!!!! IT IS ADNGEROUS AND i JUST FOUND OUT TAT A HACKER HACKED MY PLTUO CHAR BECAUSE OF TAT REMOVE THIS FUCKING PIECEO OF shit

japata
17-08-03, 06:55
Originally posted by ericdraven

2) Actually it does not increase the security but decreases it. Keyloggers are more common than trojans which sniff your registry.

Yup. Do NOT remove the password saving option. Key loggers are so much easier to make than registry encryption crackers. I for one won't want my password sniffed by some 12 year-old 1337H4x0r.

MortuusLupus
17-08-03, 07:01
I say keep it. You're supposed to be 18 to play this game, anyway, and if you're over 18 and don't know to chose a password other than "Password" or "drowssap" or something similarly ridiculous and easy, it's your own damn fault.

thewarrior008
17-08-03, 07:03
Originally posted by MortuusLupus
"drowssap"

isnot easy 8|

MortuusLupus
17-08-03, 07:16
drowssap is password backwards. My sister used that as a password, then was surprised when I logged into her machine after the third try.

kurai
17-08-03, 07:49
Originally posted by thewarrior008
REMOVE THE PASWORD SAVING THING!!!!!!!!! IT IS ADNGEROUS AND i JUST FOUND OUT TAT A HACKER HACKED MY PLTUO CHAR BECAUSE OF TAT REMOVE THIS FUCKING PIECEO OF shit :rolleyes:

Did it never occur to you to question your piss poor security setup/habits rather than blame the game's password handling ?

I guess not.

ericdraven
17-08-03, 12:17
Originally posted by MortuusLupus
drowssap is password backwards. My sister used that as a password, then was surprised when I logged into her machine after the third try.

OMG, Mortuus is teh h4x0r!!!!!!!11 :lol: :lol: :p

Barar
17-08-03, 12:20
Personally Im happy how it is - however if ppl have a real security issue I can live with it .. Bit annoying when i fatal tho ..

Dribble Joy
17-08-03, 12:30
Originally posted by ericdraven
3) Just because there are A FEW idiots around it does not mean that ALL OTHER players have to suffer because of them.

While I agree, that is how the world works. If no-one murdered/raped/robbed people or committed crime, there would be no CCTV cameras in the streets or police around.

Helen Angilley
17-08-03, 13:09
It's no biggy. I stay keep the idea.

I log in to Neocron, EVE, RandomAxe forums....etc, quite often and each and every time I type in my username and password.

It doesn't take any longer than than just striking "enter" a few times.

Besides, if someone's too lazy to remember their password (Or choose a stupidly overly-complicated one) then that's their problem.

zii
17-08-03, 15:30
As others have already said afore me:

The save-password option neither decreases or increases security. It should remain unchanged.

<h1>Removing the option does not solve the problem. It just pisses people off.</h1>

You are old enough to decide whether you want to select the option ON or OFF.

zii
17-08-03, 15:37
Sorry for the double posting. It tried to delete one of them but I am unable to do so.

Ulle
17-08-03, 15:52
So instead of editing one of your messages you decided to do a triple post?......

I have directed Teh Bunneh to this thread.

kurai
17-08-03, 18:33
Originally posted by Ulle
I have directed Teh Bunneh to this thread. If "Teh Bunneh" is someone who can do something about this ... questionable ... change might I suggest you also point him/her/it at http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72208 and http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71707.

They have more constructive comment rather than the mostly "yes I like/no I hate" in this particular thread.
(not bashing Geist - it's simply the nature of a poll post)

{MD}GeistDamnit
18-08-03, 06:27
hackers are morons, the what 8 attention starved post's by the guy who hacked a gm account proved it :D

Odin
18-08-03, 06:32
hackers are morons, the what 8 attention starved post's by the guy who hacked a gm account proved it :D

First that wasn't a gm account. 2nd it wasn't hacked. It was the person and his friends pretending they are l33t when they really are nothing but fakers.

{MD}GeistDamnit
18-08-03, 07:02
Originally posted by Odin
First that wasn't a gm account. 2nd it wasn't hacked. It was the person and his friends pretending they are l33t when they really are nothing but fakers.

so he really dident give away stuff to people?

well regardless the no save is bs :(

Odin
18-08-03, 07:07

Well not going to get into it on the main forum but if you don't see a GM on the forum list anymore there is usually a good reason and NoGravity was ditched a long while ago hence why that forum account was just a 'regular' account.

{MD}GeistDamnit
18-08-03, 08:08
Originally posted by Odin
Well not going to get into it on the main forum but if you don't see a GM on the forum list anymore there is usually a good reason and NoGravity was ditched a long while ago hence why that forum account was just a 'regular' account.

ah ick, they let that fool be a gm but not me :(

BramTops
18-08-03, 14:32
uhm... this entire poll is pointless...

neocron already HAS a "function" to NOT STORE YOUR PASSWORD

if you want "extra security" (in your head, that is), dont save it.

or is it just me.

kurai
18-08-03, 15:24
Originally posted by BramTops
uhm... this entire poll is pointless...

neocron already HAS a "function" to NOT STORE YOUR PASSWORD

if you want "extra security" (in your head, that is), dont save it.

or is it just me. KK forcing this through is pointless - not the poll.

Nasher
18-08-03, 15:31
Storing the password client side is always going to be a security risk. You will notice most other online games only store the usename aswell (planetside deffinatly does) for the same reasons.

Its not very likely that crying about having to type a few letters/numbers at login will change KK's mind, the pros for doing it far outweigh the cons.

If you get caught out with a keylogger, then its your own fault for not having a virus scanner and firewall, because they can just as easily log your credit card number....

Kugero
18-08-03, 17:20
The option to save should stay. Ultimately the burden for client side security falls on the end user, not KK. I'm talking about common sense, anti-virus, trojan scaning, NAT, Firewalling etc.

Taking away the option still leaves a machine vulnerable to key logging, account info sharing etc.

ReefSmoker
18-08-03, 19:11
Keep the 'save password option'. In order to stop trojans harvesting the registry info, encrypt the password using something unique to the local computer like a NIC's mac address or something similar. The password is currently encrypted, but is not encrypted uniquely to the machine. This is why trojans can harvest the encrypted password and still use it.

What I'm suggesting is really simple, and does the job. No more paranoia about programmes harvesting your account details from the registry, because even if they did, the encrypted password would be of no use to them unless they use your computer.

Take care,

ReefSmoker

{MD}GeistDamnit
18-08-03, 23:04
Originally posted by ReefSmoker
Keep the 'save password option'. In order to stop trojans harvesting the registry info, encrypt the password using something unique to the local computer like a NIC's mac address or something similar. The password is currently encrypted, but is not encrypted uniquely to the machine. This is why trojans can harvest the encrypted password and still use it.

What I'm suggesting is really simple, and does the job. No more paranoia about programmes harvesting your account details from the registry, because even if they did, the encrypted password would be of no use to them unless they use your computer.

Take care,

ReefSmoker

Bang! there we go, reef to the rescue :D

good idea man

KimmyG
19-08-03, 01:35

How many people hack something then spend 10 mins spaming a forum saying look what I did?

The words "KK fucked with the wrong people" gave away that this was some little kid

back to topic though I changed my mind on test that NO PW is annoying as hell.

StryfeX
19-08-03, 08:54
Why not just add some sort of decent encryption to the game? DES3 or MD5 ought to do the trick. I don't know how it is now, but if KK doesn't secure the passwords with at least 128-bit encryption on the way to the server from the client, I think we should seriously think about what that says about them to begin with...

--Stryfe

StryfeX
19-08-03, 08:58
Damnit... Ignore this.

--Stryfe

Stigmata
last night i went to a fight at tyron, i wqas one of the unlucky 6 that crashed as we entered the zone, upon relogging i was syncing, i had to log off and back on 6 times then when eventually i got back i fatalled not once but twice within 5 minutes.

so that is a grand total 9 times of putting my password in if the "cant save password" option had been put in.

TBH i am no prepared to enter a long complex password 10-15 a night.

Andy

G.0.D.
well... id hate to be helpfull but cant you just code it to generate a unique save string per cd key? ... that way stealing a code is pointless becuase it will only work if ur installed copy of neocron has the save cd key as the copy that made the save of the string...

that or u can always remove a great time saver. . .

what sounds better?

ericdraven
19-08-03, 10:27
This change will just make people choosing a password like "12345" so they can login quickly.

Yep, great security increase. :D

G.0.D.
19-08-03, 11:11
HEY howd u guess my password?

ericdraven
19-08-03, 11:27
Originally posted by G.0.D.
HEY howd u guess my password?

Tries to login now... :p

t0tt3
19-08-03, 21:09
REAL :lol: @ ericdraven and g.0.d hehehe
Who cares who knows if a real hacker wants your in deep account they will get it. If a 14 year old can hack into pentagon a 12 year old can take my acc/drowssap :p

Rieper
19-08-03, 22:55
I dont get it.. they announce that keyloggers have been detected on many 3rd party programs and the links to them have been removed, but if they are being produced then why the hell have the decided to force you to type in your password?
If there are people who are trying to get into accounts of neocron players then why make it easier for them?

Syntax-Error
19-08-03, 22:57
Then what do u suggest? Voice verification? thumbprint? (now that WOULD be cool :P)

CryptoChronic
19-08-03, 23:02
or they could just get rid of passwords and that would solve everything

\\Fényx//
19-08-03, 23:04
Originally posted by CryptoChronic
or they could just get rid of passwords and that would solve everything

I take it you got some irish in your american blood :D :p :lol:

KimmyG
19-08-03, 23:05
I think they took off saved to passwords to prevent the my little brother loghed in and deleted my char and my cat ran accros the keyboard and hit the mouse and delete my chars.

Nidhogg
19-08-03, 23:43
Thread merged.

N

kurai
20-08-03, 00:36
Originally posted by KimmyG
I think they took off saved to passwords to prevent the my little brother loghed in and deleted my char and my cat ran accros the keyboard and hit the mouse and delete my chars. So make the password need to be manually entered once upon hitting/clicking the Delete Char key/button.