PDA

View Full Version : Switching accounts helper

Susan Ivanova
16-08-03, 03:12
Here's something for those lazy people (like me) who hate to enter their account data over and over again when switching to an alternate account and back. No fancy graphics no bells and whistles. Just download switch.cmd (http://camelot.germanistik.fu-berlin.de/~fastjack/switch.cmd). Put it into a folder with your exported account data from the registry. The script expects the name of the registry file (without the trailing .reg) as its only parameter. You might have to adjust NEOCRON_INSTALL in this script to point to the installation directory of Neocron.

Just create links on your desktop running the script with the appropriate parameter to switch to another account.

This script will most probably not run under Windows 9x.

And, yes. This is third-party software. It works for me. YMMV. If you don't trust me, just look at the script to see what it does.

This script might become obsolete very soon because of this (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71706). (It won't help because it's negligibly harder to extract your password from a keylogger dump than from the registry.)

Susan Ivanova
16-08-03, 17:04
What's wrong? 78 views and no replies? Is it too hard to use?

greendonkeyuk
16-08-03, 17:13
bad experiences with 3rd party software..... and uTs! j/k

seriously though, i think with all the stuff about hacked accounts and players "going bad" etc and the statements from reakktor peeps are just a little careful of any 3rd party software doing the rounds at the moment, its nothing personal to you susan.

Susan Ivanova
16-08-03, 17:17
Well that's why I did a Windows batch script. You can see the full source for yourself before using it. And since it's really short you can pretty easily comprehend what it does.

Archeus
16-08-03, 18:12
Had a look at the cmd file. All it does is launch the reg file to install it. You have to export your reg keys to a file.

The only issues with this tool is.

- Someone copies your NC directory they have your login information in a nice easy install file.

- Next patch the cmd file will be useless as KK plan to disable username/password saving.

Susan Ivanova
16-08-03, 18:25
Yeah, you can copy the files. But you can do the same for the registry file in %WINDIR%\System32 too. So you just shouldn't share directories with sensitive files over the network.

StryfeX
16-08-03, 19:50
Change it to a ".bat" extension and there should be no reason it shouldn't work in Windows 95(ugh)/98/ME.

--Stryfe

Susan Ivanova
16-08-03, 19:57
I wasn't quite sure if the syntax will work on Windows 9x too. So I changed the extension to .cmd just to make sure. If I get success reports from Windows 9x users I'll rename it to .bat.

Krll
16-08-03, 20:19
Sounds like a handy little tool. If I ever get two accounts, I'll give it a try. :)

-Krll

Kumiko Mimura
17-08-03, 18:35
Very nice. Makes switching between my normal and counsellor account extremely easy. Hopefully KK will not remove password saving in the next patch.

StryfeX
19-08-03, 08:03
I suggest you release an updated version of the switch file with Neocron install path in quotes. The 9x version of command.com has trouble with spaces in file names or paths unless they are enclosed with quotes.

Also maybe change the line

if "%1" equ "" goto helpto
if "%1"=="" goto helpThat's another thing I'm not sure 9x can understand.

Other than that, I don't see anything with the syntax that might confuse a 9x version of command.com.

--Stryfe