PDA

View Full Version : Major Blackout's in Eastern US and Canada

Spoon
14-08-03, 22:56
Turn on the news if your not watching it, this is getting weird..
I got power here in Ohio, the town I live in has it's own power plant, but much of NorthEast Ohio is without power....

lullysing
14-08-03, 23:00
I live in the canadian province of Quebec. Minus catastrophic lossage/freezing rain, we always have power where i live, cuz most of the power lines go from the north thru the Montreal power network and then generally south of the border to feed the US power system.

Archeus
14-08-03, 23:06
This is really weird!! I am not joking. But we had a blackout here for about 10 minutes, then the power came back on and then off again for another 5 minutes.. when it comes back on the news is talking about the US.

ALIEN INVASION!!

Spoon
14-08-03, 23:10
Originally posted by Archeus

ALIEN INVASION!!

:eek:

We lost power for about 10 minutes too...
Then the Muni power plant converted to thier own generated power....

=Chojin=
14-08-03, 23:11

ALIEN INVASION!!

Quick put on your foil hats!!!!!!11111oneoneoenone:D

Ch0

icarium
14-08-03, 23:14
YOU'VE ALL BEEN TAKEN OVER!!!!!!!!

if america brings in new legislation that nobody can wear hats we'll know for sure o_O

Krll
North Wales... our power went off for about an hour in only certain parts of my town. :)

-Krll

Kugero
hahaha it's a Bonzai skit - some dude in geeky glasses and tight striped golf pants pulled up to his navel is at the power plant throwing the switch:

"lights off! ..... lights on! ..... Lights off! ..... lights on!"

Scikar
14-08-03, 23:15
Sunspots and Solar Flares. It's got to be.

Krll
14-08-03, 23:15
Originally posted by Scikar
Sunspots and Solar Flares. It's got to be.

And brainslugs. Don't forget brainslugs.

-Krll

icarium
14-08-03, 23:16
Originally posted by Krll
North Wales... our power went off for about an hour in only certain parts of my town. :)

-Krll

they have electricity in wales now? :confused:

:p

=Chojin=
14-08-03, 23:16
Originally posted by Kugero
hahaha it's a Bonzai skit - some dude in geeky glasses and tight striped golf pants pulled up to his navel is at the power plant throwing the switch:

"lights off! ..... lights on! ..... Lights off! ..... lights on!"

"the Devil makes work for idle thumbs...txt another virgin mobile...etc "

hawhawhawh

Ch0

Helen Angilley
14-08-03, 23:17
There goes the "bigger companies don't have problems" argument. :lol:

Krll
14-08-03, 23:18
Originally posted by icarium

Yes, our most gracious and benevolent English overlords have been kind enough to let us use it. It now no longer inspires fear in our people, merely awed suspicion. :D

-Krll

=Chojin=
14-08-03, 23:19
Yes, our most gracious and benevolent English overlords have been kind enough to let us use it. It now no longer inspires fear in our people, merely suspicion. :D

-Krll

Yeah and if u missuse it well yank it right back!!!!!! Rar

Ch0

Spoon
14-08-03, 23:19

*cough*methane from goats*cough*

Krll
14-08-03, 23:20
Originally posted by Spoon
*cough*methane from goats*cough*

It's sheep m'dear... the joke is about sheep. :)

Originally posted by =Chojin=
Yeah and if u missuse it well yank it right back!!!!!! Rar

Me is a good boy, massah! :)

-Krll

=Chojin=
14-08-03, 23:21

-Krll

ROFL cheez ppl should do some research 1st:rolleyes:

Ch0

Archeus
14-08-03, 23:21
YOU'VE ALL BEEN TAKEN OVER!!!!!!!!

if america brings in new legislation that nobody can wear hats we'll know for sure o_O

I for one welcome our new evil overlords. :lol:

icarium
14-08-03, 23:22

-Krll

jesus you're obsessed o_O

Krll
14-08-03, 23:22
I for one welcome our new evil overlords. :lol:

The English are invading again are they? Or is it the Americans this time. ;)

-Krll

icarium
14-08-03, 23:24
The English are invading again are they? Or is it the Americans this time. ;)

-Krll

now now americans dont invade they "peacekeep" :p

Spoon
14-08-03, 23:24
hmmm, their saying a power plant in NYC went down and that caused a cascading effect shutting down the whole Great Lakes area grid.
It's not terrorism, apparently....

Kugero
14-08-03, 23:25
hmmm. aren't the French experiencing a heat wave and need power? Wasn't Canada a French colony not too long ago? hmmm. Doesn't Canada live next door to the US? hmmmm...

just kidding. no seriously I really am :)

Archeus
14-08-03, 23:26
.... o_O :D

Anyone see how many people vanished in NC around this time?

Scikar
14-08-03, 23:27
hmmm. aren't the French experiencing a heat wave and need power? Wasn't Canada a French colony not too long ago? hmmm. Doesn't Canada live next door to the US? hmmmm...

*Imagines hordes of Canadians running out of US powerplants carrying bottles of electricity bound for France*

:lol:

BlackPrince
Bah, just crappy wiring. Everyone freaked out over a Terrorist crashing a plane into a Nuke Plant.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to breach the cap on top of a nuke reactor? The ones in the US at least were designed to take a several kiloton bomb hit and not breach, so the odds of anything short of a tacnuke taking one out are about 0.

Krll

British colony, but the Quebec area may have been French at some point judging by the huge numbers of French speakers. :)

"The Dominion of Canada"

*Imagines hordes of Canadians running out of US powerplants carrying bottles of electricity bound for France*

Hey... it's a Monty Python sketch! :)

-Krll

Kugero
14-08-03, 23:29
*imagines a bunch of trans-atlantic power cords plugged into Montreal outlets*

:)

=Chojin=
14-08-03, 23:29
Originally posted by BlackPrince
Bah, just crappy wiring. Everyone freaked out over a Terrorist crashing a plane into a Nuke Plant.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to breach the cap on top of a nuke reactor? The ones in the US at least were designed to take a several kiloton bomb hit and not breach, so the odds of anything short of a tacnuke taking one out are about 0.

and then theres chernobyl......or however u speeelggg it :wtf:

Ch0

Kugero
14-08-03, 23:31
chernobyl was "crappy wiring" and half-assed safety policies ...

BlackPrince
Well yes, generally, anything the Soviets built was of poor quality and design, minus their small arms.

For instance, most soviet tanks would shed almost 3lbs of metal after their first startup from the gears being poorly fitted.

Scikar
and then theres chernobyl......or however u speeelggg it :wtf:

Ch0

That blew up from the inside, not the outside. :p

Krll
14-08-03, 23:32
Well yes, generally, anything the Soviets built was of poor quality and design, minus their small arms.

Some of their planes were pretty spiffy too though weren't they? Bearing in mind their lower level of technology. Or was it the pilots that excelled?

-Krll

=Chojin=
14-08-03, 23:33
That blew up from the inside, not the outside. :p

bahhhhhhh it still blew up *mumbles something about radioactive sheep due 2 radioactive clouds*

Ch0

Helen Angilley
14-08-03, 23:33

For instance, most soviet tanks would shed almost 3lbs of metal after their first startup from the gears being poorly fitted.

Without wanting to go into a Historical debate....

Why was the Red Army able to obliterate the ************ army machine, after they pushed it out of Stalingrad, with "poor quality" stuff? o_O

=Chojin=
14-08-03, 23:34
Originally posted by Helen Angilley

Why was the Red Army able to obliterate the ************ army machine, after they pushed it out of Stalingrad, with "poor quality" stuff? o_O

THE COLD

read history books the cold was one of the main reason's

Ch0

Krll
14-08-03, 23:35

The Germans could take up to 4million Russian prisoners at a time from victories over them. Russia just had (and still has) an immense pool of resources (both human and other) to keep throwing at enemies until they wear them down.

And what Cho said too. :)

Even the Russian tanks of the time beat the arse off the British ones of the same period though. A cardboard box could beat the arse off a British tank of that period. :)

-Krll

Helen Angilley
THE COLD

read history books the cold was one of the main reason's

Ch0

Yes, that was one of the reasons they could push the ************s _out of Russia_ but I'm talking about crushing the Panzers, Tigers....etc. Legendary fighting machines which were wiped out by, supposedly, crappy, badly put together armanents.

=Chojin=
The Germans would take up to 4million Russian prisoners at a time from victories over them. Russia just had (and still has) an immense pool of resources (both human and other) to keep throwing at them until they wear them down.

-Krll

yeah didnt Russia loose more men than all the other countrys put 2gether....thats just insane

Yes, that was one of the reasons they could push the ************s _out of Russia_ but I'm talking about crushing the Panzers, Tigers....etc. Legendary fighting machines which were wiped out by, supposedly, crappy, badly put together armanents.

again the cold...great haveing super tanks but haveing the crew freeze there asses off didnt help them

Ch0

Kugero
14-08-03, 23:37

well I think it was primarily a lack of German soldier morale (and fighting on 2 fronts), the extreme Soviet winter, and the die-hard stubborness of the Soviet resistance ....

icarium
14-08-03, 23:38

winter rolled in, the germans werent prepared and they were massively outnumbered :)

they also kept getting chafed testicles by goose-stepping everywhere

Krll

Sheere force of numbers as I said.

Doesn't matter how good your gear is, if you lose 1 tank for every 10 enemy tanks you kill, and your enemy can throw 10 times as many tanks into the fight as you and keep on producing them even when your supply lines/personel start to run short...

-Krll

Helen Angilley
again the cold...great haveing super tanks but haveing the crew freeze there asses off didnt help them

Believe it or not hun, the entire war wasn't just fought in Russia. o_O

icarium
14-08-03, 23:40

it was for the people on the russian front =/ especially the ones that ended up deed

also how the fuck have we gone from blackouts in america to world war 2 in russia, thats quite impressive

Krll

Ummm... true... but we were talking about the Russian front, so what's your point go to do with it? :confused:

-Krll

BlackPrince
Obviously not a military history buff are you Helen?

The Germans were overstretched. On the Eastern front in 1944 they had a total of 2,000 airplanes. That includes Bombers, Fighters, Recon, and Utility craft. Thats a front that stretched tens of thousands of miles. The Russians were able to commit about 10 times that many to one sector.

In one assault, the Soviets managed to mass 4,000 Heavy Tanks alone (JS 1s and T72s), the germans had about 7k armored vehicles total in the northern sectors.

The Russians discovered if you pushed enough folks at an enemy, you'll be able to break through eventually. An Army that had over 30million soldiers under arms, fought an enemy that had a total of 9m soldiers on the eastern front.

Oh and yes, the Russians also had the worst winter since the napoleonic wars strike at about the same time Operation Barbarossa hit Moscow.

Their airplanes were alright. They had a few exceptions which were amazing, but for the most part right until the end of the Cold War the whole Uberness of Russian Jets was perpetuated by Western paranoia more than any facts.

Now, some of the newest fighters built by Suhkoi are unbelievable, but will probably never go into mass production, same goes for their new assault rifle (what is it, the An4?).

=Chojin=
14-08-03, 23:41

no but u mentiond stalingrad which i belive is in russia or did they just move ito_O

read your own posts

Ch0

Helen Angilley
14-08-03, 23:42
Obviously not a military history buff are you Helen?

I know my History, was just asking for a little clarification on the when, apparently, "every Russian piece of technology" is poorly made and put together in a crappy manner. :p

Anyway, best stop there. Back to discussing hamsters in their wheels. Or something.

EDIT:

Chojin:
Stalingrad was only mentioned ("Why they did oblierate the ************ War machine so easily after pushing it out of Stalingrad?"), it was never the focus of my comment.

=Chojin=
14-08-03, 23:43
I know my History, was just asking for a little clarification on the when, apparently, "every Russian piece of technology" is poorly made and put together in a crappy manner. :p

Anyway, best stop there. Back to discussing hamsters in their wheels. Or something.

like germany retreating from Russia:D

Ch0

*ph33r*
14-08-03, 23:45
YA THAT'S GREAT

Archeus
Lets not get off topic shall we?

Here are some pictures.

This people waiting for a boat on Manhatten Island as the subway/buses/cars are all stopped.

http://members.boards.ie/archeus/tv4.jpg

Another with a map
http://members.boards.ie/archeus/tv5.jpg

BlackPrince
Aye, if you want to know the real reason the Germans lost its easy. They fought a 3 front war, against the two largest industrialized nations in the world.

And yes, german tanks were uber. Carl Whitteman, a Captain in of an SS Panzer unit, took out 37 Polish and Canadian tanks in one fight by himself. At the time of his death in later 1944, he had over 350 Tank kills to his credit on both the easter and western front.

At the time of the Normandy invasion, the Germans only had 90 Tiger tanks on the western front. These 90 tanks destroyed in excess of 300 Allied tanks in the first month of the invasion, and had they been comitted when the first troops hit the beach head, it'd be a very different world we live in today.

Krll
like germany retreating from Russia:D

Trolling ain't cool.

I don't care if you got GamesMaster for an avatar. :)

-Krll

Spoon
14-08-03, 23:47
Apparently the problem didn't start in NYC, it started in Ottawa, Canada, where a power plant went down...

Hey, what did you guys do to this thread....:confused:

It went from a national emergency in part of the US and Canada, to hamsters, sheep and goats to a WWII history lesson...:lol:

*EDIT*
and Brainslugs.....:p

=Chojin=
14-08-03, 23:47
Trolling ain't cool.

I don't care if you GamesMaster for an avatar. :)

-Krll

FINALY i dint think anyone noticed RAR

and sorry 2 helen:angel:

/me grumbles
Ch0

Krll
14-08-03, 23:48
Aye, if you want to know the real reason the Germans lost its easy. They fought a 3 front war, against the two largest industrialized nations in the world.

Although the second nation didn't come in until after they'd picked on the first, and only got involved because Japan attacked them.

And yes, german tanks were uber. Carl Whitteman, a Captain in of an SS Panzer unit, took out 37 Polish and Canadian tanks in one fight by himself. At the time of his death in later 1944, he had over 350 Tank kills to his credit on both the easter and western front.

Poland had tanks? I thought they cavalry charged the Panzer divisions with... unpleasant... results? (I got that bit of info from an alternate history novel... so I may very well be wrong :) )

-Krll

Kugero
14-08-03, 23:49
don't forget brainslugs ...

=Chojin=
14-08-03, 23:49
Theres one simple reason they lost

they were evil and the bad guys always loose:D

Ch0

Helen Angilley
14-08-03, 23:50
Poland had tanks? I thought they cavalry charged the Panzer divisions with... unpleasant... results?

-Krll

Cruel to laugh at that...but still, the thought of Horses trying to attack a Tiger (Tank) is incredibly amusing. :lol::lol::lol:

Anyway...I can see the Government REALLY playing on the whole "Terrorist attack" idea. Oye.

Archeus
14-08-03, 23:50
Power cut guys.. -_-

Here is a better one of all the people waiting for a boat.
http://members.boards.ie/archeus/tv6.jpg

=Chojin=
14-08-03, 23:51
Power cut guys.. -_-

Here is a better one of all the people waiting for a boat.
http://members.boards.ie/archeus/tv6.jpg

i feel this thread has been jacked sooo

on topic i didnt get any powercuts and im near london

^^

Ch0

HellHound
14-08-03, 23:52
Yeehaa, I log off to check the forums only to find weird things happening, not to mention my fellow countrymen put down as sheep shaggers living in the 15th century. (that's just North Wales, btw ;) )

Krll
14-08-03, 23:52
Cruel to laugh at that...but still, the thought of Horses trying to attack a Tiger (Tank) is incredibly amusing. :lol::lol::lol:

Well, as I added, I don't know if it's a true story since I got it from an alternate history novel... but you've got to give those guys who did it 100% full respect for bravery.

"We want you to go out on your horses and charge these metal boxes on tracks that have cannons and machine guns attached."
"Ok."

:wtf:

Brainslugs rule.

Originally posted by HellHound
Yeehaa, I log off to check the forums only to find weird things happening, not to mention my fellow countrymen put down as sheep shaggers living in the 15th century. (that's just North Wales, btw ;) )

Yeah... South Wales is 10th century. :p ;)

Edit: Ok, sorry Archeus.

Edit: Replying here so I don't spam the thread more:

Bravery.....????

did they even know what a tank was or something???

Yes, but Poland hadn't kept their military up to date, or maybe couldn't afford to or something, I don't know.

maybey they were threatend with death which is more likely the case:(

Your on horse back and are facing certain death... horses can run pretty fast you know, and I think the German forces at the time had orders to round up and... the Polish army officers incase they organised a resistance.

-Krll

=Chojin=
14-08-03, 23:54
Well, as I added, I don't know if it's a true story since I got it from an alternate history novel... but you've got to give those guys who did it 100% full respect for bravery.

"We want you to go out on your horses and charge these metal boxes on tracks that have cannons and machine guns attached."
"Ok."

:wtf:

Brainslugs rule.

-Krll

Bravery.....????

did they even know what a tank was or something???

maybey they were threatend with death which is more likely the case:(

Ch0

Ulle
14-08-03, 23:55
Quit the war debate and get on topic please.

MortuusLupus
14-08-03, 23:56
I feel kinda bad for the people who need to catch a ferry or a subway or something to get home. I feel even worse for people who work the night shift on the 50+ floor of whatever building they work at.

=Chojin=
15-08-03, 00:00
is the power back yet then?

and what time did this happen ......london time that is

Ch0

Krll
15-08-03, 00:01
Why is everyone milling about in the streets?

Looks like a case of mass panic caused by a government induced fear of bad stuff.

-Krll

=Chojin=
15-08-03, 00:02
bad stuff....like ww3?? j/k hahah(dont mention the war;) )

seriously tho is the power back yet and how BIG was the cut?

Ch0

Krll
15-08-03, 00:03
seriously tho is the power back yet and how BIG was the cut?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3152451.stm

-Krll

Kugero
15-08-03, 00:03
ok back on topic:

has anyone seen the new safety device for people who live/work in large highrises? I saw one demo'd at a trade show last month - it's a body harness attached to a steel cable wound around a fly wheel with fan blades.

The idea being you bolt one to the floor or roof of the building, strap in, jump off the side of the building and the resistence of the fly wheel keeps your decent slow enough you can lightly land on your feet at the bottom.

The manufacturer claims you can do this off any current building or tower. Even showed video of somebody using it off a 40 story building. Talk about a thrill ride ...

VirtualReGen
15-08-03, 00:04
hahahaha! Poor eggs :lol:

MortuusLupus
15-08-03, 00:05
They're having a warm summer, too. It gets too hot in the buildings to stay inside.

Plus it's a little known fact that all american buildings are really little self-propelled space stations that will launch into space during a prolonged power outage, since the computers assume we've been hit by a nuclear attack. Probably the reason they've not launched yet is that they were hit by a very delayed Y2K bug.

And I hope I don't get in trouble, but according to Rise of Nations, the Soviets won because their nation power gives double attrition damage to invading armies. The Statue of Liberty is the only thing that can counter the attrition damage, but the Americans had that, and we weren't invading them.

=Chojin=
15-08-03, 00:06
ok back on topic:

has anyone seen the new safety device for people who live/work in large highrises? I saw one demo'd at a trade show last month - it's a body harness attached to a steel cable wound around a fly wheel with fan blades.

The idea being you bolt one to the floor or roof of the building, strap in, jump off the side of the building and the resistence of the fly wheel keeps your decent slow enough you can lightly land on your feet at the bottom.

The manufacturer claims you can do this off any current building or tower. Even showed video of somebody using it off a 40 story building. Talk about a thrill ride ...

back on topico_O so if theres a powercut ppl should just attach themselves 2 a cord and jump instead of walking down the stairs?
:lol: :lol:

And I hope I don't get in trouble, but according to Rise of Nations, the Soviets won because their nation power gives double attrition damage to invading armies. The Statue of Liberty is the only thing that can counter the attrition damage, but the Americans had that, and we weren't invading them.

ROFL

Ch0

Krll
15-08-03, 00:08
Originally posted by MortuusLupus
They're having a warm summer, too. It gets too hot in the buildings to stay inside.

Aha... of course... I guess it may be cooler outside if the air conditioning ain't working.

*snip*but the Americans had that, and we weren't invading them.

@Kugero: We don't know if it was a terrorist attack yet though... and wouldn't that be a problem if the section of the building below you was ablaze and you zipped through it on your line?

Edit: Anyway, time for bed.

-Krll

=Chojin=
15-08-03, 00:10

@Kugero: We don't know if it was a terrorist attack yet though... and wouldn't that be a problem if the section of the building below you was ablaze and you zipped through it on your line?

-Krll

out of the frying pan into the fire:eek:

but it would b cool 2 just test it out:p

Ch0

=Chojin=
15-08-03, 00:10

-Krll

out of the frying pan into the fire:eek:

but it would b cool 2 just test it out:p

Ch0

edit Bugger sorry bbout double impatient mouse clicks /edit

Kugero
15-08-03, 00:16
back on topic so if theres a powercut ppl should just attach themselves 2 a cord and jump instead of walking down the stairs?

yup - it's called a "Hollywood Jump" :)

sorry - I didn't mean to imply any terrorists acts atm. Given the option to either burn alive - trapped above floors on fire (assuming other exits were blocked), jump to spare myself the agonzing death or spend 1 second zipping through hot flames strapped to a stainless steel cord on my way down to safety ...

well I'd take the 3rd degree burns and a safe landing over the other 2 options any day.

disclaimer: This was a device invented solely as a last means of exiting a building when all other viable means of escape were blocked.

DarkPhoenix
15-08-03, 00:19
Dunno if this has been said yet but, someone told me that Alaska (:p ) has lost electricity too. :rolleyes:

Scikar
15-08-03, 00:20
Kugero what do you do if somebody nicks the flywheel to use as a plate when they run out? :p

=Chojin=
15-08-03, 00:20
"Hollywood Jump"
i wonder how long till they make it into a theme park ride:p

or spend 1 second zipping through hot flames

what if it works 2 well and u spend 5 seconds being burnt alive8|

Ch0

Kugero
15-08-03, 00:28
Kugero what do you do if somebody nicks the flywheel to use as a plate when they run out?

damn I forgot to mention that each personal fly-wheel of death comes with it's own stun turret :)

what if it works 2 well and u spend 5 seconds being burnt alive

Well Ch0 - that's why I always wear my flame retardant underpants when ever I find myself above 15 ft ...

=Chojin=
15-08-03, 00:29

Well Ch0 - that's why I always wear my flame retardant underpants when ever I find myself above 15 ft ...

lol saveing the important things eh? :p

Ch0

Ka0s^
15-08-03, 00:52
this is just a power outage, terrorism or not, i magine the panic and ppl control problems if it was a dirty bomb/ nuclear attack scenario

BTW the mayor said to turn your eletrical stuff off if ur affected, to stop a voltage spike when ur power guys light u up again ;)

Ransom
15-08-03, 01:43
ok back on topic:

The manufacturer claims you can do this off any current building or tower.

or your money back 8|