PDA

View Full Version : Fact:Laptop DvD-Rom Drives Suck---

shodanjr_gr
14-08-03, 22:53
Ive been installing Visual Studio .NET Trial from a DVD for the last 20 minutes and im still at 40%. The drive is burning!!!!And on top of that i want to play NC :-).....Fooking laptop drives...

Lexxuk
14-08-03, 22:55
U'll be on 40% for a long...long....long time, takes about 2 hours to install that programme :p but ya, the DVD in my laptop, is about 2 years old now, and I get seriously screwed with DMA on it, blergh :p

d3ik
14-08-03, 22:56
Step 1) Buy a laptop that is not crap.
Step 2) Download .NET from a *perfectly legal, copyright friendly site*... *cough.. *cough....

Step 3) Play NC without worry of credit card bills :eek:

shodanjr_gr
14-08-03, 22:58
My laptop is new and not that bad. Fujitsu Amilo, Athlon XP Mobile 1.6+ (by the way is there a way to make the CPU run always at full speed and not drop its frequency to 500mhz whenever it wants?), 256 Ram (DDR i think) and Radeon IGP. But it takes AGES to install that little MS fowker and i want to go and level my APU monkeh!!!!!!!

shodanjr_gr
14-08-03, 23:00
Originally posted by d3ik
Step 1) Buy a laptop that is not crap.
Step 2) Download .NET from a *perfectly legal, copyright friendly site*... *cough.. *cough....

Step 3) Play NC without worry of credit card bills :eek:

Step 1)Laptop is not crap
Step 2)The Visual Studio .NET 60 day trial i got is from a book called : Sams, Teach yourself Visual Basic .NET in 24 Hours. (yes they give the full trial on DVD with the book)
Step 3)I dont, my dad does :-)

d3ik
14-08-03, 23:01
LOL.. i hear ya, I try to stay away from MS. Oh, and you can jump into the BIOS and change that CPU throttling. (Press DEL during BIOS post ((or whatever your laptop is set for, sometimes F1, F2, etc)) )

shodanjr_gr
14-08-03, 23:03
Cool, thanks dude, will do that.
I just hate it cause i think that sometimes the CPU decides to drop the frequency while i play games (not sure about that, just a hunch). Keeping it constantly at 1.4 gigs would be cool.

shodanjr_gr
14-08-03, 23:26
Almost Done :-)

bd*
15-08-03, 00:04
My laptop doesnt have problems installing anything or copying media for backup.

Sony GRT 715M
2.8 Ghz P4
512 MB DDR Ram
40 Gig ATA 100 HDD
DVD+-RW

Dont make generalisations :p

But your laptop is indeed good (a true mobile) makes me wonder if you need to get newer drivers for the DVD Rom or something ...

Or mabey your ram is clogged up, try a few restarts and a defrag.

O and your CPU will scale its speed using speed step i imagine. Its a little code that adjusts the CPU frequency according to conserve battery life. While running windows it will lower it because it doesnt need all that much. But while running Adobe Photoshop or games will it go to full performance but poo poo your battery life :)

Vampire222
15-08-03, 01:26
wot u expect..... laptops aint made for ub3r speed, they rather work fukkin 50 hours on a battery...