PDA

View Full Version : Why Neocron Feels Wrong And Loses Appeal

Kendo Averly
14-08-03, 20:07
The game's an MMORPG with PvP elements.

Great, fine, just like others. Good managable userbase, you have the common PKers, the minor role players, you have the OP Wars.

What you don't have is the loyalty, the decent feeling of involvement, the group stuff.

MMORPG isn't entirely about standing around talking, and it isn't entirely about standing around ganking.

It's about rules, and constraints. It's why I've thought that no safe zones is a bad idea. Because you'd be losing more in an already deathmatch type situation.

Let me explain, there's no loyalty. The display of the Paladin rank shows this. People show no respect and total disregard for the storyline of the game. This is the feeling of chaos, and the feeling that you're alone against everyone.

There are several sides to the game, but lets take for example, CityAdmin and Twilight Guardian.

Enemies. But when someone from Twilight Guardian jumps to CA just to do the epic, and ganks everyone just for the hell of it. There's no Role Play there, it's just like changing teams in a TDM and being a team killer.

There's a storyline to each faction, I can tolerate someone killing me because I'm an enemy faction, it's when they faction hop and kill just because of killing, and kill their own. You think you have people you can trust on your own side, fair enough in real life you can't trust anyone.

But here we're talking about the restrictions and constraints that should be in effect in some form, if not by the game engine, then oocly.

It's the kind of respect you should have in a game, such as Multiplayer GTA VC where you don't camp the spawn point and gank everyone, it pisses you off. It doesn't benefit anyone.

It just doesn't follow the rules of the world properly. It's why many people leave their clans, leave Neocron. You start off alone, and as some people say 'get the feeling of involvement, get the feeling of immersion, join a clan' you have your allies, the faction loyalties, you can rely on your faction, though through experience you gain trusts, you lose trusts. Without that, it's just deathmatch.

That's why people say the 'mindless ganking of the pvpers' is terrible, that's why. They're not following the 'unwritten rules'.

There's no honour to it. I had more on my mind on a few separate topics but when your family is bugging you around you your track of thought go awry.

Pitspawn
14-08-03, 20:12
Actually i think the situation is the opposite, everyone feels inclined to stay their faction. They get friends in that faction, and allied clans etc and build up a relationship. Soon enough you feel forced to stay with that faction and you make more enemies than friends by changing sides. Hell look at fenix, some sad fucks actually sent him IRL threats for changing from TG to TT...How sad is that?

KRIMINAL99
14-08-03, 20:16
What your saying is lacking is true, but as to what effect it has on the enjoyability of the game... I say none. As far as unwritten rules.. what if 2 peoples unwritten rules are different? What if one set of unwritten rules is immature and makes no sense? And is only based on emotional desires with no consideration for right and wrong or anything else? These are the "unwritten" rules of antipkers. "pkers" have just given some thought to the situation and found out.. HEY what do you know.. the original written rules were actually pretty good.

I think in order fot the game to be enjoyable it has to be that you feel you are getting somewhere and accomplishing things. And this was better done than any other video game I have seen for extended periods of time under the old PVP rules of neocron.

FBI
14-08-03, 20:18
Yeah people arn't taking their factions seriously. Even though I
faction hopped on several occasions, I finally found the faction
I enjoy and will stay on for a long time. ProtoPharm is my current
faction, it was the epics that got me interested in the faction and
that got me to create a clan for PP.

But, faction hopping should not be restricted totally. But, there
should be HARSHER penalties for switching factions. The
current sympathy drops are not acceptable at all. I hope they
make switching factions something you would only do if you
really had to, not if you just felt like it to gank and get epic items.

Lord Mansion
14-08-03, 21:00
Originally posted by Pitspawn
Hell look at fenix, some sad fucks actually sent him IRL threats for changing from TG to TT...How sad is that?

That is very sad.

Some people cannot see the difference between reality and a virtual world. I hope these individuals seek help immediately.

Nexxy
14-08-03, 21:02
When i changed to BD i got alot of harsh DMs but RL threats is a lil too far :wtf:

Kendo Averly
15-08-03, 00:51
what if 2 peoples unwritten rules are different? What if one set of unwritten rules is immature and makes no sense?

Figuratively speaking.

I was meaning those put forward as Roleplaying 'standpoints' by KK, such as the Faction backgrounds and storylines, would, if you were brought up in that firm environment, cause you to act and behave a certain way and manner towards others. Which wouldn't cause you to 'faction hop' and 'gank everyone regardless'.

Scikar
15-08-03, 00:56
You can't expect everyone to abide by unwritten rules. The honourable people like QD will follow them, but there are some people who will use everything they can to their advantage. A RL example is the unwritten rule in cricket of not bowling with intent to injure the batsman, which has in the past been broken by players, but of course with no penalty because it's not an official rule.

Smugly
15-08-03, 03:36
I'll admit. My loyalties first and foremost are to my friends. When they moved to City Mercs so did I. Frankly, it seems to be more a "game mechanic" than something developed to make for an immersive world. I just went through the Epics for Protopharm and Biotech with a new tank and it was really pathetic just how desperetly the biotech clans tried to recruit me.
I'm not slanting biotech players, rather pitying them for belonging to a faction that everybody just "uses" to get what they want out of it (That Move on CPU) then going home. Both forums had posts regarding how they had such low numbers of players and how most people in that faction were only in it doing the epic.

Ultimately, nobody really gives a damn about the faction, because frankly, the faction doesn't seem to give a damn about anybody. This needs to change before people will become loyaller to it.

Actually, I've just had an idea. Consider for a moment, just how bloody stupid getting credits for killing a mob is. I mean, who's really keeping track of it? What I'm proposing now is some kind of salary, paid after every elapsed play hour into the players account. This amount increases based on the Sympathy the player has with the faction and the length of service they have to it. If a player is then to change faction, his wages reset with his new employer, thus giving the original faction both some leverage and purpose in the runners life.

Distaria
15-08-03, 10:18
Smugly: That's not too bad of an idea. Or perhaps, it's paid every set interval, regardless of if you're on, but missions should still give you money. Or maybe a combo, a moderate wage, and reduced money from mobs.

Futureman
15-08-03, 12:36
Yes i think that is a great idea Smugly, except for the part about earning wages when you aren't on, but the rest is perfect. It would add an intereresting dynamic to the game.

Kendo Averly
16-08-03, 06:24
Someone should shove it into brainport...

Benjie
16-08-03, 06:56
-I have cancelled my account.

-REASON: Game still unfinished.

-Will. Come back when NC is complete.

-Over.

(Biggest problem is FPS issues in PvP.)

Ferabukoo
16-08-03, 13:43
Originally posted by Benjie
-I have cancelled my account.

-REASON: Game still unfinished.

-Will. Come back when NC is complete.

-Over.

(Biggest problem is FPS issues in PvP.)

somone give this guy a big warm glass of...

bellybutton sex :angel:

\\Fényx//
16-08-03, 13:47
that comes in glasses?... hell most people need glasses after looking at you... it burns their retinas out :eek:

*ph33r*
16-08-03, 13:49
Meh I thought my sig was bad...

O_O

Leebzie
16-08-03, 14:48
Ive spent... well the past month doing all the available epics on retail (this doesnt include all the temp epics cause apparently they will be reset) epic runs are very challenging for me personally. what has been the biggest struggle for me is the faction symps , they are very difficult to shift , especially if they are negative , and take hours of irritating work.

Then of course the 300k charge... well , i guess for a lot of the people who've posted on this thread , money isnt really as much of an object as it is to me. but ive spent several million on my faction moves so far...

Paladin is something I really want to see in the game , working with the symps and then doing the epic is no walk in the park, and paladin is a status that should exist to show you persevered through it.

As ive had a lot of experience with the faction symps lately , I personally do not feel they are that easy to move.

I am rarely clanned anyway , and dont really plan to stop anywhere until im capped and have finished off all the epics coming with DoY.
Whats the upside of this ? I can move around more freely , make freinds across the entire range of factions.
Disadvantage ? Never having freinds close enough to do big favours and help you out like you might want. There is a price of working alone , but there are prices of working as a team. Both give different rewards also.

I dont take my factions very seriously as you might have been able to tell. (oh and about that IRL thing... thats stupid , its a game FFS)

But again about faction symps... they really are a bitch to move... dont make em impossible !!!