PDA

View Full Version : OT: Useless Facts

ex-machina
13-08-03, 18:00
[list=1]
Chevvy Case was Steely Dan's first Drummer
Muhammed Ali drunk 1.5 pints of his own blood during the Rumble in the Jungle Fight
Humans are the only mammals that have sex facing each other (most of the time :P)
A cockroach will live for 9 days without its head. Before it starves itself to death.
It's legal in Saudi Arabia to have a gorilla in the back seat of your car
Duelling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors
In roman times carrots were purple, it wasn't until the 16th century that the dutch cultivated the carotene pigment
Madonna was once sacked from a job at Dunkin' Donuts for squirting jam at a customer
The first Lemon arrived in Europe around 2000bc thanks to alexander the great conquering western asia
"Go." is the shortest complete sentence in the English Language.
In 1999, Mayor Guilliani decried New York's Public Schools saying "the whole system shoudl be blown up"
Poisonous Monkeys really do exist
Jimmy Page played guitar on Tom Jone's It's not unusual
The Electric Chair was invented by a dentist
The lowest temperature ever recorded on Earth was -129 Fahrenheit, registered in 1983 at the Russian base of Vostok in Antarctica. (That's cold, by the way :P)
Americans eat, on average, 18 acres of Pizza each day
Butterflies taste with their feet
A blue whale's scrotal sack is the size of a VW beetle
Sheffield was the birthplace of Football
The distance from your elbow to your wrist is the same as the length of your foot
Only one person has ever beaten up Clint Eastwood in a film and lived
This list is now finished
[/list=1]

SilentGravity
13-08-03, 18:06
Cool list, and just noticed how long my feet really are o_O

*ph33r*
13-08-03, 18:07
Originally posted by SilentGravity
Cool list, and just noticed how long my feet really are o_O

rofl same here... freakeh :eek:

BlackPrince
13-08-03, 18:12
1) The Blue Whale has the worlds longest Penis at 9 feet.

2) Those aren't John Travolta's feet in the opening scene of "Saturday Night Fever".

3) By the time he was filmed in Apocalypse now, Marlon Brando was so fat they only filmed him from the neck up in the light.

4) Jimi Hendrix was a One Hit Wonder.

5) There is no such thing as a 69 GT-500 (Gone in Sixty Seconds).

6) A bumblee's flight is impossible by our understanding, yet he flies anyway.

7) In Georgia, it's Legal to commit simple battery as long as the person used "fighting words".

8) A Chicken will run around for 30 seconds after you've cut off its head.

9) Most snipers use subsonic bullets, thus there is no "crack" of a shot.

10) China has a larger working population than South America, Europe, and the United States combined (706m).

Fordaz
13-08-03, 18:49
Originally posted by BlackPrince
9) Most snipers use subsonic bullets, thus there is no "crack" of a shot.

lol, well that one's bollocks. Most (if not all) snipers use supersonic bullets. If they used a subsonic bullet, you'd be able to hear the gunshot before the round reached you, and be able to move out of the way.

Most dedicated sniper rifle rounds are .30 Cal (2,800 feet per second apx.), well faster than the speed of sound.

\\Fényx//
13-08-03, 18:50
1) this thread is classed as spam imo :D

souljah
13-08-03, 19:14
Wow.. That foot thing.. Just tried it, never noticed how big my size 14 skis were :P

libbo
13-08-03, 19:21
Originally posted by Fordaz
lol, well that one's bollocks. Most (if not all) snipers use supersonic bullets. If they used a subsonic bullet, you'd be able to hear the gunshot before the round reached you, and be able to move out of the way.

Most dedicated sniper rifle rounds are .30 Cal (2,800 feet per second apx.), well faster than the speed of sound.

M-40A1 (USMC)
Muzzle velocity: 2550 feet (777 meters) per second

Yut!!

=Chojin=
13-08-03, 19:31
Originally posted by ex-machina

The lowest temperature ever recorded on Earth was -129 Fahrenheit, registered in 1983 at the Russian base of Vostok in Antarctica. (That's cold, by the way :P)

is this natural temp...cos im sure in physics i saw a program were the coldest place on earth was in britain in a lab somewere

edit

Originally posted by libbo
M-40A1 (USMC)
Muzzle velocity: 2550 feet (777 meters) per second

Yut!!

i looked up this weapon useing google

and within 2 seconds its passed its "effective range"8|

Max Effective Range. . 1000 yards (915 meters)

/edit

Ch0

SynC_187
13-08-03, 19:41
5) There is no such thing as a 69 GT-500 (Gone in Sixty Seconds).

Erm wrong.

List of Shelby Mustang Production Dates (http://www.geocities.com/eskoufos/shelbyfaq.html)

\\Fényx//
13-08-03, 19:46
1969 and 1970 GT500 Sportroof 1534
1969 and 1970 GT500 Convertible 335

Machina dont like being wrong :p

BlackPrince
13-08-03, 19:56
Sorry, meant to say Hardtop as was pictured in the movie.

fordaz, I'm right. Supersonic bullets make a crack as they pass the sound barrier. Hence, most snipers use subsonic bullets. Yes there are times when a Super may be needed, but for a general duty round they use subs.

HellHound
13-08-03, 19:57
Well that's why they're called useless facts...

because they're wrong! :p

ex-machina
13-08-03, 20:07
Originally posted by \\Fényx//
1969 and 1970 GT500 Sportroof 1534
1969 and 1970 GT500 Convertible 335

Machina dont like being wrong :p

I'm not wrong, that was the other guy.

Cryotchekk
13-08-03, 20:14
you cant lick your elbow though some people can lick their arse cheak and gives them selve head.

also i own a peice of set from the last james bond film, coz i nicked it off the set at night :D

Nullifidian
13-08-03, 20:19
Sorry, meant to say Hardtop as was pictured in the movie.

fordaz, I'm right. Supersonic bullets make a crack as they pass the sound barrier. Hence, most snipers use subsonic bullets. Yes there are times when a Super may be needed, but for a general duty round they use subs.

BP is right.

There are 2 things which cause a gun to "bang". The first is the gases expanding out of the muzzle. The second is the bullet breaking the sound barrier.

Silencers only muffle the sound of the expanding gases, but there is nothing that can be done for the sonic boom of a bullet. So, to silence that sound the sniper needs to use subsonic rounds as well as a silencer. Thus the gun becomes truly silenced and the only actual sound you hear believe it or not is the click of the trigger (there is no "whoosh" sound like you hear in the movies, unless you use a really shitty silencer).

On a similar note, all stealth bombers and stealth fighter are also subsonic. Why? Because it'd be pretty damn easy to figure out they are there if they make a gigantic sonic friggin boom.

SynC_187
13-08-03, 20:36
Originally posted by Nullifidian
BP is right.

There are 2 things which cause a gun to "bang". The first is the gases expanding out of the muzzle. The second is the bullet breaking the sound barrier.

Silencers only muffle the sound of the expanding gases, but there is nothing that can be done for the sonic boom of a bullet. So, to silence that sound the sniper needs to use subsonic rounds as well as a silencer. Thus the gun becomes truly silenced and the only actual sound you hear believe it or not is the click of the trigger (there is no "whoosh" sound like you hear in the movies, unless you use a really shitty silencer).

On a similar note, all stealth bombers and stealth fighter are also subsonic. Why? Because it'd be pretty damn easy to figure out they are there if they make a gigantic sonic friggin boom.

Close

A silencer will still make a noise on a high powered weapon because of the pressure of the gases being pushed out of the silencer. A slight whistle from the vents.

The stealth fighter is capable of supersonic flight, but yes not a good idea in hostile areas.

Oh and the supersonics are usually Armour Piercing.
Standard rounds deform too much at high velocity and can veer off target.

Nullifidian
13-08-03, 20:38
Originally posted by SynC_187
Close

A silencer will still make a noise on a high powered weapon because of the pressure of the gases being pushed out of the silencer. A slight whistle from the vents.

The stealth fighter is capable of supersonic flight, but yes not a good idea in hostile areas.

The top speed of the stealth fighter and stealth bomber are both 697 mph.

HellHound
13-08-03, 20:38
Thus the gun becomes truly silenced and the only actual sound you hear believe it or not is the click of the trigger (there is no "whoosh" sound like you hear in the movies, unless you use a really shitty silencer)

This is getting really off-topic now, but.... even the best silencer should not completely muffle the sound. Using subsonic ammunition, in addition to elminating the noise produced by an object breaking the sound barrier, will further reduce the initial sound of firing (due to a reduced gunpowder charge) but there will still be a noticeable sound.

Nullifidian
13-08-03, 20:39
Originally posted by HellHound
This is getting really off-topic now, but.... even the best silencer should not completely muffle the sound. Using subsonic ammunition, in addition to elminating the noise produced by an object breaking the sound barrier, will further reduce the initial sound of firing (due to a reduced gunpowder charge) but there will still be a noticeable sound.

You've never heard a sound suppressed MP5 then have you?

All you hear is a *click click click click click click*

That's the bolt pulling back and hitting over and over. That's the ONLY sound you hear.

SynC_187
13-08-03, 20:52
You've never heard a sound suppressed MP5 then have you?

All you hear is a *click click click click click click*

That's the bolt pulling back and hitting over and over. That's the ONLY sound you hear.

You've been playing Tom Clancy games. I've trained on one.

Its: *click hiss click hiss click hiss *

BTW it doesn't have a 6 shot burst. Did yours jam? ;)

Also on the stealth fighter, in 2000 they started a project to modify the whole fleet. The main objective being to improve the radar-absorbing material.

This was originally sheets of alloy coated in the material. They replaced these and applied a new spray-on material, all to save maintenance costs.

At the same time improvements were made to the engine, weapons and guidance systems.

The completed product is faster (just reaches mach 1) and cheaper to run. The downside being damage to the spray-on material at these speeds.

Nullifidian
13-08-03, 21:00
You've been playing Tom Clancy games. I've trained on one.

never played any. Don't see the relevance.

Its: *click hiss click hiss click hiss *

With a bad sound suppressor, you're right.

BTW it doesn't have a 6 shot burst. Did yours jam? ;)

That's the sound of firing 6 shots semi. Not burst. Burst would have been:

*clickclickclick* *clickclickclick* :D

Also on the stealth fighter, in 2000 they started a project to modify the whole fleet. The main objective being to improve the radar-absorbing material.

This was originally sheets of alloy coated in the material. They replaced these and applied a new spray-on material, all to save maintenance costs.

At the same time improvements were made to the engine, weapons and guidance systems.

The completed product is faster (just reaches mach 1) and cheaper to run. The downside being damage to the spray-on material at these speeds.

Just barely UNDER Mach 1, doesn't quite reach it. Onboard computers assure that it doesn't, even in a dive.:D :D

SynC_187
13-08-03, 21:26
See: MP5SD (http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/pages/military/mp5frameset.html)

Thats what I use. Its got a better system than any bolt on available for the various MP5's

Notice it is a sound "reduction" system. It still makes a noise.

As you can see on the page, by using a wet system you can use supersonic ammunition without problems.

Semi auto or not you would not fire 6 shots in quick succession if you are using a supressor. It will overheat and when hot is not as efficient at supressing.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Onboard computers can not override a pilot decission on a fighter.
If it does when you are evading a missile or enemy fighter, you are dead. It does allow them to fly outside recommended guidelines, if your going to die, its worth trying.

If your sitting looking up the specs on a website, you should know that after the upgrades the new spec wasn't confirmed, although the USAF will admit upgrades took place.

As for them going supersonic, half of my family is American, with 2 uncles and 5 cousins in the USAF. 2 of the cousins being pilots and 1 uncle is a test pilot. I have first hand sources.

Nullifidian
13-08-03, 21:29
2 friends working at Lockheed Martin over in Burbank, CA.

They helped design the friggin thing in the first place.

The F117A that is.

Btw, the F117A is no dogfighter.

SynC_187
13-08-03, 21:34
2 friends working at Lockheed Martin over in Burbank, CA.

They helped design the friggin thing in the first place.

The F117A that is.

That doesn't mean they had anything to do with any modifications or would ever even be told about them. The design of the engines for example were nothing to do with LM. They are GE F404's.

SynC_187
13-08-03, 21:38
Btw, the F117A is no dogfighter.

No, its not, which is exactly why it needs the ability to evade.

As was shown by the british military when it was shown at the air show, it isn't stealthed very well if you know what to look for. They targeted it and locked on from the ground for the whole duration of the exhibition flight.

Nullifidian
13-08-03, 21:38
That doesn't mean they had anything to do with any modifications or would ever even be told about them. The design of the engines for example were nothing to do with LM. They are GE F404's.

Both were on the design team for the overall project. The project was then further split into subgroups and certain components were contracted out to other companies.

Thus they not only knew about every aspect of the fighter, they were among the few to say what those aspects were going to be before it was even built.

No to my knowledge they were not involved with the upgrades. One is actually retired now, and the other transferred to Naval Division a number of years ago.

BlackPrince
13-08-03, 21:39
Easy way to track it in a Western country is monitor the microwave disruptions as it flies over them.

SynC_187
13-08-03, 21:39
Both were on the design team for the overall project. The project was then further split into subgroups and certain components were contracted out to other companies.

Thus they not only knew about every aspect of the fighter, they were among the few to say what those aspects were going to be before it was even built.

No to my knowledge they were not involved with the upgrades. One is actually retired now, and the other transferred to Naval Division a number of years ago.

So probably bang on about the original specs. Maybe not completely up to date now.

lol @BP :)
Yep thats one's way. IR/heat is another

BlackPrince
13-08-03, 21:45
Simple, and effective. Just not accurate :-).

Also certain low frequencies beams can track them, can't remember off the top of my head what, but the Russians were looking to sell the systems.

Trip
13-08-03, 22:11
A cockroach will live for 9 days without its head. Before it starves itself to death.

SICK!!! DAMNIT THATS SICK!...*pukes* HOLY...*pukes*

foot thing i already knew...its how i go shopping for shoes lol.

the whole whale and genitalia thing is depressing.

the super/sub sonic issue i cant be bothered with other than that really really fast gun where it reaches its effective range within 1.5 secs.

btw...love the looks of the M29 OICW gun...
Also the GMG...Grenade Machine Gun....wtf is with that? a gun which chews out nade after nade?

Fordaz
13-08-03, 22:58
This is absolute horlicks, the very notion of using subsonic ammunition for sniping is obsurred.

You don't need to be absolutely silent, hell, you don't even have to be remotely silent. The aim of the game is to get the bullet to the target before he realises the shot has been fired. By the time he realises a shot has been fired, it's already too late.

To do this it is imperative that you use Supersonic munition. You can use a Supressor with Supersonic munition to dampen the muzzle noise, that will prevent the enemy from hearing where the shot came from (after, of course, the target is already dead).

The flight noise of the munition (or "Sonic Boom" as you guys like to call it) doesn't need to be dampened at all... as the noise only relates to the location of the bullet, and not the sniper.

In fact, it's actually a good thing to have the flight noise, as the "Sonic Boom" echoes off the terrain it passes over, and gives the enemy a false impression of where the shot actually came from.

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but you are wrong.

[Edit: Can anyone tell me a Subsonic Sniper rifle, apart from the VSS?]

Nullifidian
13-08-03, 23:00
Originally posted by Fordaz
This is absolute horlicks, the very notion of using subsonic ammunition for sniping is obsurred.

You don't need to be absolutely silent, hell, you don't even have to be remotely silent. The aim of the game is to get the bullet to the target before he realises the shot has been fired. By the time he realises a shot has been fired, it's already too late.

To do this it is imperative that you use Supersonic munition. You can use a Supressor with Supersonic munition to dampen the muzzle noise, that will prevent the enemy from hearing where the shot came from (after, of course, the target is already dead).

The flight noise of the munition (or "Sonic Boom" as you guys like to call it) doesn't need to be dampened at all... as the noise only relates to the location of the bullet, and not the sniper.

In fact, it's actually a good thing to have the flight noise, as the "Sonic Boom" echoes off the terrain it passes over, and gives the enemy a false impression of where the shot actually came from.

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but you are wrong.

The boom only occurs as the bullet breaks the sound barrier, not during. That means the crack only occurs when the bullet is fired, which means it will tell the enemy exactly where you are.

The only snipers who don't use sound suppression are ones that don't care about whether or not they are found after they shoot, or are snipers that only require one shot at all.

For example, a SWAT sniper isn't going to care. A combat sniper isn't going to care either because the noise of combat will usually cover the shot anyway.

However, an assassin, or a military sniper in enemy territory will almost certainly use subsonic rounds and sound suppression.

Fordaz
13-08-03, 23:08
LOL!

No, not quite. The sonic boom doesn't happen when the munition passes from Subsonic into Supersonic speeds.

Anything traveling faster than sound continuously creates shockwaves beneith it, you only hear it once because the pressure "cone" in front of the projectile which contains the sound (remember, the bullet is traveling faster than it's own sound) only passes you once.

The Sonic Boom has nothing to do with the change between Sub and Supersonic speeds.

BlackPrince
13-08-03, 23:11
Fordaz, from what wealth of knowledge are you speaking from?

I'm a competitive marksman, most of my friends and associates are military shooters with years of experience.

As far as I can tell, you're talking out of your ass. Basic fieldcraft at the U.S. sniper school drills it into your skull to use subsonic. The only reason to use a supersonic round is to pierce lightly armored vehicles, and thats what we have the Mufressboro Five Oh for.

Vampire222
13-08-03, 23:12
i can lick my elbow, its simple, just rip ur left arm off!!!

Odin
13-08-03, 23:14
Closed at request of thread starter.