PDA

View Full Version : CRAZY IDEA - could improve neocron for ever!

Ren
13-08-03, 01:30
ok a couple of people were talking about this... and we think it might be a good idea for neocron to lose its wastes maps.. think about it... remember exploreing the map of Neocron for the first time? the thrill of finding cool stuff, the excitment of going "its this way, i swear" and getting majorly lost?

or at least have the maps blacked out untill u visit the area?

it could add so much more and make the game so much bigger it would likley stun alot of people. However i think its a great idea.

and please dont cut this thread down before you actually think about it :P

kthnx

Drake6k
13-08-03, 01:32
Yeah - blackout till discovery

Breschau
13-08-03, 01:36
Nah, wastelands are dangerous enough as it is for newbies (to the point many don't even *try* to venture out there).

And for the veterans, this wouldn't really do anything at all.

And finally, thematically it seems likely that basic mapping would be available if stuff like Navray is.

My personal view is it'd just add a little extra chore to that initial wasteland travel that new chars do - the novelty would wear off faster than the annoyance and tedium would last afterwards.

Ren
13-08-03, 01:38
discovery by blackness is a quality idea.. it forces u to search... and as for the vets.. they will soon panic when the maps vanish.. sort the men from boys and the women from the girls :P

i REALLY think this should be done.

edit: the wastelands are supposed to be super danagerous...... they oringally were gonna make u wear PA to stop the radiation getting u and the deeper u went the more it hurt.

They carebeared it!

Breschau
13-08-03, 01:39
Originally posted by Ren
discovery by blackness is a quality idea.. it forces u to search... and as for the vets.. they will soon panic when the maps vanish.. sort the men from boys and the women from the girls :P

I'd not panic in the slightest. I'd just systematically search each area (VERY tedious, but it'd work) and make notes. Then it'd not affect me anymore.

Which is why I said what I did about why I don't like the idea :)

Ren
13-08-03, 01:43
i hate to say this:

back in beta 2 ... the wastes were tiny, the floor was danagerous and a map? we wish...

we spent hours going by our wits and often ended up in the wrong place... it was great fun, the arguing, the adventuring... i think ur forgetting the oringal "WOW" from being a n00b.

and another thing... KK were gonna make a map master, where u could sell maps to others.............. CAREBEARED.

Breschau
13-08-03, 01:48
Originally posted by Ren
i think ur forgetting the oringal "WOW" from being a n00b.

Actually, I remember the "WOW" from being a newbie. I remember how I felt the first time I went through the blast doors at OZ station (heck, even just the blast doors themselves were sorta impressive) and saw the world for the first time. Along with the first encounter with hoverbots, reaperspiders, warbots, etc.

The problem is that the "WOW" isn't permanent. Sooner or later you see everything there is to see and it just becomes repetition. If you're an explorer type, that happens a bit faster (since you're actively searching out everything there is to see).

Now, I'm by no means saying ignore adding in new "WOW" factors. I'd just much prefer they don't come in a form that adds a new "yawn" factor once the "WOW" wears off. For me personally, this would be a huge "yawn" factor almost immediately.

I do see what you're trying to go for, it's just that for my personal enjoyment, it'd work out for the worse rather than the better. And my personal enjoyment is what I base my responses to polls and new game ideas on :)

edit: i'd prefer to see a lot more 'minor' locations added that don't appear on the maps. Just little bits of flavour, the odd npc, store, mini-dungeon, whatever. Stuff to go out and find - the maps just give the basic layout of the terrain and the major landmarks - OPs and cities. So it'd still be exploring to find all that more minor stuff.. if there was just more of it (rather than huge zones full off.. the occasional tree or fierce bat)

Q`alooaith
13-08-03, 03:36
I think they should kill the maps totaly..

Not the world map maybe...

When I was a newb back in the day, I didn't think to look at the maps, now since it's there I do, and feel bad about it afterwards..

Outzone's so much larger without a map to help, and so's much of the wastlands.

Arcadius
13-08-03, 03:51
Outzone has maps?

Q`alooaith
13-08-03, 04:13
Originally posted by Arcadius
Outzone has maps?

Yea, some work pretty well, others are just plain confusing.. somtimes the zones are fliped, cause you can enter looking one way, and come out another..

KimmyG
13-08-03, 04:16
Good Idea problem is that little map that comes with the game

Q`alooaith
13-08-03, 04:25
Originally posted by KimmyG
Good Idea problem is that little map that comes with the game

It's not the best of maps about, zone maps are the big killer, they show exactly where you are, and where everything else is.. I'd have missed to roads many many times without them to guide me back, and I consider myself a pretty navigator.. not any good but damn pretty....O_o

IceStorm
13-08-03, 07:35
It didn't take very long to get the hang of NC in Beta without maps. Not even Outzone is that "big" without maps.

This idea only serves to hurt the directionally challenged.

Kr3Yc3K
13-08-03, 07:54
how about adding new areas instead

its really really boring if you have seen everything... especially if everything is looking just alike and theres really nothing special to explore

but i think that there wont be any new areas except for doy...... at least in the next several years

Kazuko
13-08-03, 10:16
I don't like the idea of having to explore all the maps, I don't think the fun would outweigh the "DAMNIT WHERE DID THAT COPBOT COME FROM!!!!" factor. But if you wanted role playing make maps buyable, or even better have a map quest.

Original monk
13-08-03, 12:10
i choose the other option, so i need to reply:

cant we yust put a big dead animal where the map is normally ? then we would have one around when we needed one, yust an idea