PDA

View Full Version : Neocron terrain - How many sq miles?

Mankind
12-08-03, 22:19
Just as stated in the topic, how many square miles is neocron's terrain? I'm comparing this to something else, and would like to find out this answer.

Syntax-Error
12-08-03, 22:24
You wouldnt happen to be compairing it to DE would you *sigh*

CryptoChronic
12-08-03, 22:26
DE looks amazing....

Syntax-Error
12-08-03, 22:27
Looks sounds smells the whole works. Ive been signed up for months. Just waiting on the release of Beta 2

Mankind
12-08-03, 22:29
Yes I am comparing it to DE. Wondering if Neocron is even close to as big as DE states they will be. I'm betting Neocron is probably something like 10-20 sq miles.

Syntax-Error
12-08-03, 22:31
The thing you have to realise is. NC and DE are so far appart that they cant really be compaired. Since DE has (10 or 20 i forget now) Towns and Cities. its a good looking game. i just dont know if my comp can handle it. :(

Mankind
12-08-03, 22:31
Originally posted by Syntax-Error
Looks sounds smells the whole works. Ive been signed up for months. Just waiting on the release of Beta 2

I got an email from them like 2 weeks ago, saying Beta was open and they are getting ready to send out the link to people. I doubt they will send me the link, but who knows maybe I will be one of the lucky ones. I signed up for beta when they first released some screenshots of it, so maybe my chances are high.

Mankind
12-08-03, 22:34
Originally posted by Syntax-Error
The thing you have to realise is. NC and DE are so far appart that they cant really be compaired. Since DE has (10 or 20 i forget now) Towns and Cities. its a good looking game. i just dont know if my comp can handle it. :(

4 empires, 50 cities, 580 sq miles of terrain.
4 races; 15 classes per race.
Dynamic weather system
Night and day schedule
Advanced AI
Etc, etc, etc.

I can't wait :)

jernau
12-08-03, 23:02
I read somewhere that the wasteland zones are supposed to be 1km on a side. That seems a little large in some regards (eg how quickly you can run accross them) and a little small in others (eg how slowly a "speedbike" can cross them, how far you can see and the mountain gradients).

If it were 1km squares : The map is 12x17 = 204 sq.km. Only about a half of that is used though so it's ~100 sq. km = ~40sq. miles.

MrBane
12-08-03, 23:21
DE has most definately caught my attention. I crave a good Player Run economy, Neocron just doesn't, and never will, have that.

*ph33r*
12-08-03, 23:40
nm O_O

NeoWolfie
13-08-03, 00:09
Originally posted by MrBane
DE has most definately caught my attention. I crave a good Player Run economy, Neocron just doesn't, and never will, have that.

Neocron has a player run economy.. It's shit because it's player run. For the most part KK has only limited how low the players can sell something before they start losing money. Actually.. KK has given the players the option to set the price on 90% of the items in the game since if you really wanted to.. you could build just about everything in the game for free.. The only except is things like the substances and a few higher level implants.

The players themselves have jacked the fuck out of prices. 18mil for a MC5 chip anyone? and screwed any half decent player economy.

One sure fire way to fix the economy is to flood the shit out of it with the stuff people are charging millions for. Kinda like how Zerk 3's used to sell for upto 1mil each.. then they dropped ot being worth no more then 50k.

As for DE.. eh.. not my style of game..

Ryu
13-08-03, 00:24
what the hell is DE?

*ph33r*
13-08-03, 00:39
O M G !!!!!!!! (http://62.25.96.161/dragonempires/uk/imagelibrary/March5_de_mtnlake5.jpg)

Oof the landscapes look beautiful... gonna look deeper into this 'Dragon Empires' tommorow... looks promising :D

Syntax-Error
13-08-03, 00:57
Yeah beta 1 the basic is open. iam signed upto beta 2. so must wait

MrBane
13-08-03, 00:58
Neo, Reakktor have not given the players their own economy.

They've given them the option to build and sell items, but that does not constitute a player-run economy, when everything is so static, slow and manual.

You want your own shops, hundreds of useful items, automated selling and creation, stricter controls over prices, ratios, profits... Tighter financial indexing and a variety of other features.

Not "SELLING DS FOR 18MIL DM"

Helen Angilley
13-08-03, 01:00
Originally posted by NeoWolfie
Neocron has a player run economy.. It's shit because it's player run. For the most part KK has only limited how low the players can sell something before they start losing money. Actually.. KK has given the players the option to set the price on 90% of the items in the game since if you really wanted to.. you could build just about everything in the game for free.. The only except is things like the substances and a few higher level implants.

The players themselves have jacked the fuck out of prices. 18mil for a MC5 chip anyone? and screwed any half decent player economy.

One sure fire way to fix the economy is to flood the shit out of it with the stuff people are charging millions for. Kinda like how Zerk 3's used to sell for upto 1mil each.. then they dropped ot being worth no more then 50k.

As for DE.. eh.. not my style of game..

Yeah, it's how EVE'S economy has turned out.

It's _completely_ player driven (Supply/Demand being the biggest factor), so, natrually, it's been blown out of proportion as people are charging absurd prices for Battleships and even Mining lasers.

People have been complaining about the prices....yet are stupid enough to keep paying that much regardless (Having said that, I guess my viewpoint would be different if I wasn't able to get so rich off of what I get from attacked, and usually destroyed as pilots don't tend to co-operate much, Industrial and "Hauler" ships).

MrBane
13-08-03, 01:21
All it would take is a bit of restraint on the Buyers side, but, *Sighs*, some people just don't give a toss, have the money, and will pay whatever is required.

If we had more organised shop functions, where players could stack their goods and list a sale price, I think we'd see great controls and tighter running on the prices.

Helen Angilley
13-08-03, 01:26
Originally posted by MrBane
All it would take is a bit of restraint on the Buyers side, but, *Sighs*, some people just don't give a toss, have the money, and will pay whatever is required.

If we had more organised shop functions, where players could stack their goods and list a sale price, I think we'd see great controls and tighter running on the prices.

Not neccesarily, again I'll use EVE as an example:

You can have "brokers", NPCs which sell items for you, unfortunately all this does is give the player a chance to do other things while still charging obscene prices.

No chance to haggle/barter that way either.

MrBane
13-08-03, 01:33
Aaah, but that system offers the stock rotation and evaluation.

"I've had this on sale for a month, no-ones bought it.. Might as well reduce the price.."

I can't STAND Auctions, because someone always wades in with capped cash and outbids you by a mile.

These are the same people that moan when they lose it to a bug, and only get 100k compensation... Don't forget, materialistically, it's not even worth 100k, but you were daft enough to pay 15million for it.

hnlecter
13-08-03, 01:45
I want that game. Dammit release it now!!1

Lord Cypher
13-08-03, 03:21
Yay. I'm signed up to Beta Test :D

MortuusLupus
13-08-03, 04:56
Looks pretty, but I don't really want to play any fantasy games for a while. I'm fantasied out. Now, if they combined fantasy with modern stuffs, that would be cool. You could fly a dragon or a helicopter. That would roxxor my boxxorz

Q`alooaith
13-08-03, 05:05
Lolo...

I just checked my hotmail, I'd signed up with my hotmail yonks ago and forgot I had a login...

I got acepted to the closed beta and needed to update my information...

ahh well, too late now.