PDA

View Full Version : OT: Virus alert (mostly for XP users)

Warlogis
12-08-03, 15:40
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2354406C-C5B6-44AC-9532-3DE40F69C074&displaylang=en

If you have problems installing this update, simply use "Manage" option, then Services and Applications, then search Services. Choose "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)", Properties and change all 3 term of doing when server fails to "Reload program" instead of "Reboot PC".
Also lock ports 135, 139 and 445 (if you can) and search & destroy ;) file msblast.exe from both HDD and registry. Also delete from key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run message "windows auto update"="msblast.exe" .

If you dont know what exactly this damn virus do - you're lucky ...
You can call me dumb, but I even reinstalled XP before realised what I need to do about this situation :(

\\Fényx//
12-08-03, 15:41
welcome to 4 hours ago, check out about 4 or 5 other threads on the forum ;) most of which all have quick fixes for it in.

Kazuko
12-08-03, 15:45
Originally posted by Warlogis
If you dont know what exactly this damn virus do - you're lucky ...
You can call me dumb, but I even reinstalled XP before realised what I need to do about this situation :(

Its actually not a virus, but rather an exploit/worm (buffer overrun, specifically).

Warlogis
12-08-03, 15:49
Ops ... sorry, have really bad connection speed here so didnt checked forum :(

to mods - Please delete this post.

[D]estructro
12-08-03, 16:32
MsBlast.Worm ?

\\Fényx//
12-08-03, 16:38
Originally posted by [D]estructro
MsBlast.Worm ?

http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html

AlphaGremlin
12-08-03, 16:45
My entire Uni is infected with the damn thing. It's getting around, this virus.

\\Fényx//
12-08-03, 16:47
Originally posted by AlphaGremlin
My entire Uni is infected with the damn thing. It's getting around, this virus.

hahaha they gots OWND !

AlphaGremlin
12-08-03, 16:47
Yep. My mate's Uni has also got it, and I had to clean my Dad's computer of it today as well.

\\Fényx//
12-08-03, 16:50
I work on a TS line and ive taken 42 phone calls today, 39 have been this fuckin virus 8|

ericdraven
12-08-03, 16:50
If i would write such a virus/worm i would make sure to render the PC completely useless (destroy everything on the HDDs and make even more BS like this).. maybe THEN people will start to think about security and regular updates.

Helen Angilley
12-08-03, 16:52
Downloaded that and applied it. Doesn't seem to have done anything (Still get "Windows has recovered from a serious error" at start-up and I can still "msblast.exe" in the CTRL+ALT+DELETE menu...although I always get rid of that).

Something I'm missing here?

AlphaGremlin
12-08-03, 16:52
Such a virus wouldn't replicate though, and people would be mighty pissed with you. :)

ericdraven
12-08-03, 16:53
Originally posted by Helen Angilley
Downloaded that and applied it. Doesn't seem to have done anything (Still get "Windows has recovered from a serious error" at start-up and I can still "msblast.exe" in the CTRL+ALT+DELETE menu...although I always get rid of that).

The MS patch itself does NOT remove the virus, just prevents the exploit.

AlphaGremlin
12-08-03, 16:53

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

That's a prog to remove the virus, I used it myself.

\\Fényx//
12-08-03, 17:00

You need to remove the virus still, even if you have removed the gaps in XP you still have the virus there.

AlphaGremlin
12-08-03, 17:03
ARG. Forum-Spam. Poor Outlook is working harder than ever before.

Helen Angilley
12-08-03, 17:39
*Twitch*

Well, that program tells me it removed the virus, and I no longer have "msblast.exe" in the CTRL+ALT+DELETE thing, but I still get the "Windows has recovered from a serious error" on boot-up.

:(

AlphaGremlin
12-08-03, 17:51
You probably have another program that is causing that problem. I doubt it's related to the virus.

Helen Angilley
12-08-03, 17:53
Originally posted by AlphaGremlin
You probably have another program that is causing that problem. I doubt it's related to the virus.

Do you think there's a serious problem though, if XP is able to recover? oO

I'm in the process of downloading the non-security fixes for XP so I'll see how it goes.

AlphaGremlin
12-08-03, 17:56
I really can't say. It would be worth a try to fix it, but if you're not too bothered by it and there aren't any problems, then I wouldn't worry too much.

Kendo Averly
12-08-03, 18:50
Shows people don't keep up with their windows updates. tsk.

extract
12-08-03, 18:54
The worm contains the following text, which is never displayed:

"I just want to say LOVE YOU SAN!!
billy gates why do you make this possible ? Stop making money and fix your software!!"

its real obvious he cares about the software
:lol:

Kazuko
12-08-03, 18:58
I wonder why people use virus as such a blanket term. Even the media does it on the news.

worm: A worm is a program that infects other computers without human intervention. It makes copies of itself, and infects additional computers by using exploits and holes in existing programs and services. Once a worm has infected a subject target it continues to search or scan other computers for more vulnerable targets until it is given instructions, usually a pre-programmed date or a packet received by listening to a port, to cause mass destruction.

virus: A chunk of computer programming code that makes copies of itself by tricking humans into running it, and then causing damage to the host computer. It will often be combined into a legitimate application, screensaver, or email causing an unsuspecting user to execute the virus. Typically viruses replicate themselves by reading a users email address book and sending an attachment to every user on the address book. Other viruses are contained in Word documents, called "macros" that preform malicious tasks, and some viruses simply cause annoyances by displaying popups or moving files.

However one thing all viruses have in common, is that they need human interaction to spread, as worms to not.

I'm probably the only one who cares, but I hate how the media in general misleads the public on tech issues.

Helen Angilley
12-08-03, 19:00
Originally posted by Kazuko
I'm probably the only one who cares but I hate how the media in general misleads the public on tech issues.

Yup, the "virus" issue is overplayed by a considerably margin.

There are exceptions, always will be, but contray to all those horror stories you hear, logging onto the Internet won't immediatly wreck your computer, destroy your HDD and cause members of the opposite (Or same) sex to shun you.

Oye.

\\Fényx//
12-08-03, 19:01
Yup, the "virus" issue is overplayed by a considerably margin.

There are exceptions, always will be, but contray to all those horror stories you hear, logging onto the Internet won't immediatly wreck your computer, destroy your HDD and cause members of the opposite (Or same) sex to shun you.

Oye.

Had 2 customers today, both 'old' and new to PC's one got his PC yesterday and another at 11pm thismorning, both set up their net today, both had the virus with in a hour of setting up their net 8|

Helen Angilley
12-08-03, 19:05
Originally posted by \\Fényx//
Had 2 customers today, both 'old' and new to PC's one got his PC yesterday and another at 11pm thismorning, both set up their net today, both had the virus with in a hour of setting up their net 8|

As I said, there will always be exceptions.

I've been connected to the Net for over four years and in that time, without a decent firewall or anti-virus stuff I might add, I've only had two harmless "worm" things wriggle into my HDD.

Both gotten rid of in no time flat.

I'll regret the lack of protection one day, but I doubt I'd have the tolerance to wait for any anti-virus stuff to update every time I logged on. Gah.

*Twitch*

Kazuko
12-08-03, 19:22
I've been connected to the Net for over four years and in that time, without a decent firewall or anti-virus stuff I might add, I've only had two harmless "worm" things wriggle into my HDD.

I won't go as far as to say you're stupid if you get infected by a virus, but most viruses pretty much scream out "VIRUS!!!!". If you're informed, you don't get viruses. Firewalls on desktop computers are pretty much useless. All you are going to see is script kiddies doing massive port sweeps across the internet for peons infected with sub7 or some other trojan.

As for worms on windows, don't run IIS and you'll be fine, in general :p

AlphaGremlin
13-08-03, 03:01
I won't go as far as to say you're stupid if you get infected by a virus, but most viruses pretty much scream out "VIRUS!!!!". If you're informed, you don't get viruses.

Amen to that. I've noticed it's nearly always people who don't know much about computers who get infected.

Firewalls on desktop computers are pretty much useless. All you are going to see is script kiddies doing massive port sweeps across the internet for peons infected with sub7 or some other trojan.

Peons. LOL :lol:

As for worms on windows, don't run IIS and you'll be fine, in general :p

Yeah, IIS is a bit of a security hole, even if I am running HTTP and FTP servers. :angel:

I agree though, the "virus" thing is quite blown out of proportion. Really there's only one or two that ever become wide-spread. Apparently this is one of them.

Also: I use the term Virus in it's closer to medical meaning, a piece of software that enters the computer without your knowledge, regardless of it's intentions or method of transport. Thus: Gator is a virus! :D