PDA

View Full Version : To all those idiots - THANKS

Weazle
12-08-03, 14:11
Read the announcement:
http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71706

To all those idiots who decided to exploit the generosity of KK ... thank you for being such fucktards :mad:

Now anyone who has a legitimate reason for having their deleted characters restored will not get restored.

Another example of how the Neocron community shoots itself in the foot :wtf:

\\Fényx//
12-08-03, 14:13
Originally posted by Weazle
Read the announcement:
thank you for being such fucktards :mad:

OMG ONOZ ! thats my word, i copyrighted that word, you must now pay me 5 million creds ingame every time you use it o_O

Krll
12-08-03, 14:13

It happens in anything at all you'd care to mention. It ain't just the NC community that has fuckwits unfortunetly. :(

Edit so as not to get sued by Fenyx and to please HellHound. :)

-Krll

HellHound
12-08-03, 14:15
I prefer 'fucktards' but yes, they'll always be with us. :(

EDIT: changed to 'fucktards' just for a cheap laugh.

\\Fényx//
12-08-03, 14:15
Originally posted by Krll
fucktards

ONOZ not you aswell grrrrrrr :(

Helen Angilley
12-08-03, 14:16
Heh, I knew, and said, that something like this would happen when people started jumping on the "hacked account" bandwagon.

garyu69
12-08-03, 14:19
bloody Fucktards. ;)

Some people always ruin it for others

hinch
12-08-03, 14:28
oi dont disable local password saves i havent got a fucking clue what i set mine to be

Berzerker
12-08-03, 14:29
Ban the assholes.

\\Fényx//
12-08-03, 14:29
Originally posted by hinch
oi dont disable local password saves i havent got a fucking clue what i set mine to be

ROFL :lol: do a password retreival on the accounts section of the NC website, can find it out that way.

HellHound
12-08-03, 14:30

E-mail them quick and get the info before next patch?

EDIT: Oh, I hate it it when that happens.... :mad:

Krll
12-08-03, 14:30

You should have a confirmation e-mail which you kept safe when you signed up/changed the password.

It's going to be annoying and cause some chaos with people who don't bother keeping e-mails though I agree.

-Krll

hinch
12-08-03, 14:31
Originally posted by Krll
You should have a confirmation e-mail which you kept safe when you signed up/changed the password.

It's going to be annoying and cause some chaos with people who don't bother keeping e-mails though I agree.

-Krll

unfortunatly my machine gets reinstalled weekly due to work hence emails lostage.

and the .co.uk email addy i used to use is gone and replaced with .com

jernau
12-08-03, 14:33
Originally posted by \\Fényx//
OMG ONOZ ! thats my word, i copyrighted that word

??o_O

Krll
12-08-03, 14:34
unfortunatly my machine gets reinstalled weekly due to work hence emails lostage.

and the .co.uk email addy i used to use is gone and replaced with .com

Hmm... guess you'll have to e-mail support and ask for it... and keep it written down this time. :)

-Krll

LoneDawg
12-08-03, 14:37
hhmmm..

Ok so i have to type the PW in.. on one hand that would save them from getting the PW from registry/file but wouldn't it be easier for a key logging program then? o_O

Krll
12-08-03, 14:39
Originally posted by LoneDawg
hhmmm..

Ok so i have to type the PW in.. on one hand that would save them from getting the PW from registry/file but wouldn't it be easier for a key logging program then? o_O

Yes... but just don't use dodgy third party programs to get around that. :)

-Krll

Itth
12-08-03, 14:40
OMG ONOZ ! thats my word, i copyrighted that word, you must now pay me 5 million creds ingame every time you use it o_O

ONOZ!!!!!!!!11

ROFL OMG SUE ME

Original monk
12-08-03, 14:40
Its sad that again the small group of people who are ripped and really need the help get fucked by the big group of people lookin for a way to exploit :/

the people that lost their account cause of serieus reasons (example: spyware scannin fo accountinfo) are ripped of cause of the assholes wanting to make quick virtual cash, thats sooooo petetic.

On the other hand, if ya lost 30 mill in stockx or ya lost 20 multislotter rares and some mc5 chips cause of a silly neocronbug and ya get 100K from a gm, or even worse: a mail with : "didnt we told ya we dont give stuff away" then i can understand they will try anything (however extreme it may be) to get there hard work and efforts back, including maybe telling there account got deleted by some sort of malicious act. On the other hand there are the vultures trying to make cash out of every situation, 2 bad its starting to screw neocron mentality.

edit: retyping my password everytime cause of some noobs trying to exploit THAT SUCKS

ericdraven
12-08-03, 14:44
"To further protect your login information, we will disable the option to save your password locally in the next patch."

Great. Just because people are too stupid to protect their PCs, give passwords to "friends" and and and... we can type in that password now all the time.

Well done.

Progenitor
12-08-03, 14:45
At the very least, if they are afraid of people duplicating items, they could just restore the characters as is. And not any items that they might have had.

At least that way, the work that went into building the character wouldn't be lost. You can always get more stuff.

-p

\\Fényx//
12-08-03, 14:46
just think of the ammount of times you have to retype your friggin password after each time you fatal 8|

Fucktards i say.... Utter Fucktards :D

jernau
12-08-03, 14:47
Originally posted by ericdraven
"To further protect your login information, we will disable the option to save your password locally in the next patch."

Great. Just because people are too stupid to protect their PCs, give passwords to "friends" and and and... we can type in that password now all the time.

Well done.

If like me you regularly suffer the Log-In-Eight-Times-Before-The-Bastard-Synchs-Properly bug this is going to be a bloody nightmare. PLEASE DO NOT DO THAT KK - very very very bad idea.:(

Weazle
12-08-03, 14:48
Fucktards i say.... Utter Fucktards :D

LOL .. look what we started Fenix :D

Original monk
12-08-03, 14:49

Well done.

EXACTLY this sucks: IF THEY loose their accountinfo cause of stupid reasons (bugs/spyware not included) THEY have to pay for their stupidity, not WE

enablerbr
12-08-03, 14:52
KK will always face this dilemma. help the needed which in turn helps the exploiter. it's a never ending loop. it's always the needed that gets screwed not the exploiters.

Weazle
12-08-03, 14:53
Its no bother really ... anyone who plays Planetside has to type in their password all the time.

\\Fényx//
12-08-03, 14:54
LOL .. look what we started Fenix :D

We? you probably heard me call someone a fucktard in plaza one and stole it o_O

Anyway, lets stop spamming like Fucktards before we get twunted with the BanHammer™

El_MUERkO
12-08-03, 14:55
ugh, ok if KK are going to stop the local password remembering thing plz allow us to copy and paste our passwords into the game cause mines random alphanumeric jibberish and I'll never be able to remember it.

*ph33r*
Its no bother really ... anyone who plays Planetside has to type in their password all the time.

Jup... :p

They even have a small menu bar where you can select your server and char at the login screen, and when you load Planetside up it skips the server selection and logs straight onto your chosen character and server...

Not that anyone cares... :D

enablerbr

yeah but how many times does PS crash every few minutes compared to neocron.

kurai
12-08-03, 15:14
Christ.

Dear Devs - just *think* about this for a second before you go leaping off at an irrelevant tangent.

Keyloggers are *much* more prevalent than registry key rippers.

You'll screw more than you fix. That little habit seems to happen a lot in Hanover.

This is not a "fix", it's a pointless waste of time for you and us and it addresses very little.

Perhaps concentrate instead on improving the registry password hashing, so it's unique to a machine.

i.e. So the hash uses , for example, the windows serial number as part of it's algorithm.

This will stop the root issue of hashed passwords from registry simply being copied and pasted to another machine.

Work on things you *can* and *should* fix, not pointless crap that won't make a difference to anything.

Edit: Further explanation to try and impress upon people the logic behind this.

There are two main ways of hacking an NC account from a local machine.[list=1]
Keylogging/interception of the typed password
Copying of the saved registry hash.
[/list=1]
Method [1] will not be addressed *at all*. In fact you make the issue worse - the risk is multiplied every single time the password is typed.
Your "solution" only prevents [2], which wouldn't be a problem in the first place if you didn't use poor hashing/decryption.

You already give us a choice *&* a warning - make the warning bigger and more obvious - add "We will not be held responsible for any account issues if you use this feature".

It's simply not your job to enforce people's local security - you should only advise, and make aware of consequences,not compel.

Archeus
12-08-03, 15:15
So they get your PW from a keylogger instead of accessing your machine? It's pretty much all the same.

Personally I would prefer the password on. Mine is gibberish too, I'm going to have to email to find out what it is.

A "Favorites" would be nice at login time (mentioned below). Shows your last 3 logged in characters and you just click on them and it jumps to the correct server.

It would also be a quick indicator that something is up with your account.

KRIMINAL99
12-08-03, 15:28
Read the announcement:

To all those idiots who decided to exploit the generosity of KK ... thank you for being such fucktards :mad:

Now anyone who has a legitimate reason for having their deleted characters restored will not get restored.

Weazle... Anyone with even the slight amount of business sense knows that the most selfish and damaging thing that can be done, will be done by someone. You don't then go around punishing all your other customers by denying them service and then claiming its their fault- thats a sure way to self destruction. Could you imagine walking into a resturaunt and having some pimple faced teenager told you I'm sorry sir we don't allow people to actually sit in the chairs in the waiting area because 2 weeks ago some schmo damaged one of the chairs by scraping it with a pen.

What you do is come up with controls to stop that particular situation and stop those particulur person from being able to do what they did. The truth is IT IS PEOPLE LIKE YOU who is in part responsible for this type of tactic being used by KK... By furthering their self dillusion that this way of dealing with snaky customers could lead to anything but their self destruction.

I don't know if it is part laziness on their part to deal with these situations anyways, an actual belief that the community will deal with the people who cause these problems or what... But regardless one thing is for sure. The mmorpg is a relatively new market... And not every aspect of it has been explored by multiple companies. KK started out with an advantage because it had some unique ideas on how to increase the player interaction in such a game. But now it has robbed itself of the majority of those ideas... And soon many companies will make games with similar ideas. When that happens, it will really be known if everything KK has done badly in dealing with its customers was truly done for absolute nessecity or not... Because If there is a better way the other companies with just as good ideas as KK once had will show up and learn them, and Neocron will be left a ghost town...

FirestarXL
12-08-03, 15:28
To further protect your login information, we will disable the option to save your password locally in the next patch

No, no, no, no, no. :mad:

Everyone knows the neocron crashes, a lot. This is made almost bearable by the fact that if it does happen, you can get back in very quickly by simply pressing enter four times. Now I have to type my (non dictionary, alphanumeric) password in, just to give something more time to kill me?

Talk about knee jerk, unconsidered "fixes". Sorry, usually I don't like whining, but this is not the way to go. :(

kurai
12-08-03, 15:41
Dear KK employees/mods ... when one of you checks this thread, *please* could you draw it to the attention of the code team or someone with policy authority.

It's too important an issue just to vaguely hope Martin or Codi or whoever just wanders by and happens to take notice.

Kazuko
Why not encrypt the passwords a bit better in registry and make it an option if you want it to remember your password, with it defaulting to off. That way its not KK's fault if people get thier passwords stolen--they turned it on, and everyone that keeps the crazy password KK gives us on signup is happy.

It seems like Reakktor enjoys making rash decisions when stuff goes wrong (ie: Revoking support on saturn because of a few people being jackasses, now this). I hope you reconsiter.

Elric
Originally posted by FirestarXL

Everyone knows the neocron crashes, a lot. This is made almost bearable by the fact that if it does happen, you can get back in very quickly by simply pressing enter four times. Now I have to type my (non dictionary, alphanumeric) password in, just to give something more time to kill me?

Talk about knee jerk, unconsidered "fixes". Sorry, usually I don't like whining, but this is not the way to go. :(

Precisely, well said.

Kazuko
12-08-03, 15:44
This is made almost bearable by the fact that if it does happen, you can get back in very quickly by simply pressing enter four times.

I've always wanted to complain that you can't just keep pressing enter to login. I get stuck at the server select screen (since it doesn't remember my last server). Are you saying that it works for you?

Pitspawn
12-08-03, 15:50
Well who couldnt see this coming a mile off. Of course there are going to be arseholes out there who will abuse the system for their own game. But the guenuine calls for help after a hacked then deleted character are about to be ignored.

If kk do not want people to dupe their equip they should return JUST the character with no implants, just the set levels. After all its normally the character which is worth more than his entire inventory.

With regards to forcing people to retype their passwords everytime they crash/relog....STUPID IDEA The irony of it is that the process will actually increase the likelyhood of keyloggers obtaining passwords LOL

Worst thing for me are my passwords are like 10-12 characters of multicase, alphanumeric, non dictionary random giberrish. Thankfully from switching chars so much ive memorised them :wtf:

kurai
12-08-03, 15:50
Originally posted by Kazuko
I've always wanted to complain that you can't just keep pressing enter to login. I get stuck at the server select screen (since it doesn't remember my last server). Are you saying that it works for you? You are right - it doesn't remember.
It only works with Pluto, because it's always at the bottom of the list :D

Scikar
12-08-03, 15:51

I changed my password with all the hacks. After starting the game 3 times I already had the feel for typing the password in, it takes me 2 seconds max to type in user name and password. And I really don't know what's going on with some people, but I've found the game is more and more stable with every patch, to the point that I haven't had a single fatal (touch wood) since I got back from holiday.

Berzerker
12-08-03, 15:54
Save my pw on this machine is already an option. If I decide to do that. Then it is my fualt if some one gets my PW. That's tough on me. It was my decition to enable that option.

So please reconsider this idea. I don't want to be typing in my pw every five minutes.

Pitspawn
12-08-03, 15:54
Originally posted by Scikar
I've found the game is more and more stable with every patch, to the point that I haven't had a single fatal (touch wood) since I got back from holiday.

The game is crashing more than ever before for me. If you stay in one zone for more than 20 minutes, zoning will result in FRE. If you travel too many zones, zoning will result in FRE. Infact if you even look at someone in a funny way it will result in FRE. Now either the game is getting more unstable or its my computer.

Kazuko
12-08-03, 16:07
Originally posted by Berzerker
Save my pw on this machine is already an option.

I mean, put it in the options. It sounds like KK is just trying to push blame away from them incase it happens again, that way no one can say that KK didn't do anything. If its not right there then its not an impulse for everyone.

ronaz
12-08-03, 16:14
You want to know how often i hop from character on Saturn? If I have to type my PW every time i do that It will get annoying real fast.

Don't implement this...PLEASE! Don't punish everyone for cons a few fucktards played on you.

:mad:

* eyeballs report to moderator button....but walks off to PM Thantatos instead..

Berzerker
12-08-03, 16:15
Ah got you. Yeh that makes sence Kazuko.
Good call.

DonnyJepp
12-08-03, 16:34
Originally posted by Pitspawn
The game is crashing more than ever before for me. If you stay in one zone for more than 20 minutes, zoning will result in FRE. If you travel too many zones, zoning will result in FRE. Infact if you even look at someone in a funny way it will result in FRE. Now either the game is getting more unstable or its my computer.

I hear that Pit, I usually get the right-click bug within 5 minutes of logging in and I've been dealing with many more crashes and much wierd behavior. Instability sucks and although my computer is in tip-top shape and faster than ever, the game is dumping, freezing, crashing, and acting up worse than at any time I've seen. Reinstalling didn't help a bit, my first launch of the reinstalled and repatched game gave me a right-click bug within 2 minutes and Citycom froze up, displaying no text. I get zone fatals, zone syncs, and crashes to desktop like crazy. I get inventory bugs, items switching out, items disappearing, etc. Its almost enough to make me wonder what the heck I'm still doing here.

I'd attribute this situation (abuse of character recovery, and KK's decision to stop supporting lost characters) as another of KK's heavy-handed "penalize everyone, not just the bad apples" tactics. Not unlike when the GMs said they wouldn't support the whole of Saturn because of a few jerks on the server.

Nothing causes someone to quit faster than a lost character. You should just think about this one a little more KK, because to not even attempt recovery of lost characters will cost you revenue, directly.

D

Tregard
12-08-03, 16:40
I think they should leave the password thing as is. However, I have to agree with the situation on characters. There is simply no solution they can implement that will not result in there being 3-5x the number of scams as real accidents. I know I'll get flamed for this view.:(

ericdraven
12-08-03, 16:47
Originally posted by Tregard
I think they should leave the password thing as is. However, I have to agree with the situation on characters. There is simply no solution they can implement that will not result in there being 3-5x the number of scams as real accidents. I know I'll get flamed for this view.:(

Simple solution, already mentioned many times - just restore the (naked) character.
If you REALLY lost your char 'cause of an accident you will be more than happy to get him back at all because you spent many, many hours on him.
Those hours can't be given back, whereas you always can get new items.

kurai
12-08-03, 16:48
Simple solution, already mentioned many times - just restore the (naked) character.
If you REALLY lost your char 'cause of an accident you will be more than happy to get him back at all because you spent many, many hours on him.
Those hours can't be given back, whereas you always can get new items. Totally agree.

Progenitor
12-08-03, 16:51

It is the optimal solution.

-p

Archeus
12-08-03, 16:52
Originally posted by kurai
Totally agree.

I concur. ^__^

Actually I wondered what I would do if I ever got hacked? The brother would probably have kittens, but I'd just start fresh again (the journey is half the fun).

Tregard
12-08-03, 16:52

This would be good but the problem is this. When they restore a character it is done from a backup which means *everything* about the character is restored. To make it a clean char someone then has to *login* as it and remove all implants, armors and inventory. Key....*login as*. Do you want them to have to ask for passwords via PM or email?

kurai
12-08-03, 16:54
This would be good but the problem is this. When they restore a character it is done from a backup which means *everything* about the character is restored. To make it a clean char someone then has to *login* as it and remove all implants, armors and inventory. Key....*login as*. Do you want them to have to ask for passwords via PM or email? Certain senior levels of GM don't need your account password to log in to a character.

ericdraven
12-08-03, 16:56
Certain senior levels of GM don't need your account password to log in to a character.

For sure.

And they can always do a..

UPDATE DB SET ITEM1=0, ITEM2=0, .... :lol: :p

jernau
12-08-03, 16:56
This would be good but the problem is this. When they restore a character it is done from a backup which means *everything* about the character is restored. To make it a clean char someone then has to *login* as it and remove all implants, armors and inventory. Key....*login as*. Do you want them to have to ask for passwords via PM or email?

They don't have to - Odin has confirmed he can enter any account he wants.

I agree with what Eric said too with one addition - only when this applies to "player fault".

If KK screw it up then KK should replace the lot. If I screw it up I should be grateful for whatever I get. Where there is a disagreement over fault KK will ultimately win I'm afraid but that's something we all have to accept when we start playing.

/edit - can anyone tell us what the German reaction to this is? (both the hack issue and the PW issue).

FirestarXL
12-08-03, 17:02
You are right - it doesn't remember.
It only works with Pluto, because it's always at the bottom of the list :D

Fair enough, lucky I'm a pure plutonian then!

Anyway, I would suggest the the state (is it selected, or not) of the "remember password" box is stored server side, and simply make it clear that if you had it checked then you are responsible for the consequences.

kurai
12-08-03, 17:06
Originally posted by jernau
/edit - can anyone tell us what the German reaction to this is? (both the hack issue and the PW issue). Pretty much the same, just a lower volume of posts.

Brammers
12-08-03, 17:27
Ok here comes a big explosion on the boards KK...

Indeed KK must stop the cheaters, I agree 100% with that, how one implements that policy is questionable - I'll leave the debate on restoring deleted characters in genuine cases chars to rumble on.

But proposing to disable the save password option when to guard against trojans such as key loggers - that is not going to work, as the key logger will stand a better chance of grabbing your password.

As for storing the password securely on the PC in the registy, I'm still thinking about this one. (I did have an idea for a solution then I realised it was no better than what we have now!)

Voodoochicken
12-08-03, 18:07
1) I have a hardware firewall

2) My registry can only be accessed from my pc (I think)

So, I think it's more likely I'd dl some kind of key logger by accident, than someone botherign to hack my pc.

ie.
I want my password saved...

People already have the option NOT to save it anyway (just put a warning on it)

If people who connect to the internet can't be bothered getting a proper firewall, then that's their own problem, not KKs.

Dirus
12-08-03, 19:19
Certain senior levels of GM don't need your account password to log in to a character.

Only Reakktor employees can.

Kazuko
12-08-03, 19:24
Lupus you aren't going to comment on any of the other issues in this thread?

-FN-
12-08-03, 19:27
Bah.

I've never used *any* third party program while running NC. I've never put my acct info into anything *but* NC. I'm behind a firewall. I'm a system admin and patch Windows holes 50 zillion times a day. And I'm one hell of a geek so I'm anal about every little process and thread running on my PC.

Yet my account was hacked and deleted. So it's too bad that people have to be fucking exploiters and screw over the 110% legit players like myself.

FirestarXL
12-08-03, 19:33

Unlikely, since this was not his decision, and anything he says will be quoted by people who think that he works for KK. If I were him, I'd stay well out of it too.

Clothing_Option
12-08-03, 19:34
--------------------------------------

Keep your login information safe, be suspicious of third party programs and scan for trojans regularly. To further protect your login information, we will disable the option to save your password locally in the next patch.
From Thanatos

------------------------------------------------------------------

Great now i get to type in pass 10 times a day

:mad:

Dirus
12-08-03, 19:44

Unlikely, since this was not his decision, and anything he says will be quoted by people who think that he works for KK. If I were him, I'd stay well out of it too.

Pretty much what FirestarXL said.

I don't have the authority it represent KK in matters such as this.

My only reason for posting in this thread was to clear up what kurari said because theres far too many misconceptions as to what GM's can and can not do.

Dribble Joy
12-08-03, 20:13
O_o

FUCK ME.

Ummm....

well this just sucks.
Can't think of anything constructive atm sooo...

msdong
12-08-03, 20:17
Christ.

Dear Devs - just *think* about this for a second before you go leaping off at an irrelevant tangent.

Keyloggers are *much* more prevalent than registry key rippers.
....[/i]

hmm so what? this announcement is all about "accidently" deleted deleted characters. its not to make u sitem more resistant to third party junk. why should KK kare if u are to stupid to carefully use a PC????? this is because you make shure that u mother dont push the delete button because u dont do the homework....

KK is reponsible for NC security.
YOU are responsible for PC security.

Edit:
what u get from "more security" on every website is the FUCKIN grafic numbers and letters u have to type. soon we get this for security reasons because ppl want thir lovely im so lazy button.
edit2:
lol. it looks like every place in this world is infected with keyloggers but germany! why is every(i mean the few persons dicussin here) one so afraid of them ?? so u want the save option. dont u think that its impossible to netgrep the traffic to the server and get the password out of this stream?
where do you get all these code from ???? i use the freakin internet for a real LONG time but i can count the problems with bad codeon one hand. and im not a security freak ...

Arcadius
12-08-03, 20:18
Wait a damn second, so what if you never gave out your PW and your char was deleted due to being hacked or to some database error or something, that means KK won't recover it?

I know if my char got deleted(not by me pressing X)and KK didn't recover it I would quit asap.

Dribble Joy
12-08-03, 20:28

I concur also.

Re-entering PWs will leave you open to hacks even more than before, as said.

There is no real reason for this action that KK has decided to take.
If hackers can get through Net admin lvl security to get these accounts, then what chance do the rest of us have?
Improving the encrypting and hash of registery files will help, but I know little/nothing of this shit.
I don't know, but re-entering the PW is stupid, will not solve anything and potentially worsen the situation.

Shakari
12-08-03, 20:35

hehe sorry \\Fényx// you can't copyright a word only a registered trade mark (wich can be a word ) hehe

Promethius
12-08-03, 20:40
well i really don't like the no saved password anymore. I have my comp well protected and i don't go running around Downloadin every prorgam created so i never had a problem with 'hacked' accounts. This extra 3 secs its gunna take me to type password is gunna ruin my life =P

Lexxuk
12-08-03, 20:40
Ok, because there are stupid idiots out there, we all pay the price, ok, that sounds, well, total rubbish tbh.

I have a firewall on my Neocron box. In a few days, I'll have a firewall on my Neocron box, going through a firewall on my Linux box, it would be difficult for someone to hack into my system at the moment. It would also be difficult for a key logger to send information out "Programme x/y/z is trying to access the internet" Hmm, I dont know that programme, best let it access the internet to see what it does!!! Sure, my registry might not be the safest in the entire universe, but there is still the firewall, still the fact my IP addy is hidden on the internet, and is currently dynamic.

So now, why should I have to forfit the "Save Login" thing? I know my password off by heart, but, at the moment, i'm crashing almost constantly, the added hassle of "OH FFS, STUPID MOFO SHIT POS SOFTWARE" from the 10th crash, added to "OHH, FFS, password??!?" then the Synch error, wher eyou cant synch in gives "that it, i'm pissed, i'm goin off to play summit else" feature.

I checked the registry, password seems encrypted somewhat, but, the User ID isnt. How bout encrypting both? Why are they saved in the Registry anyhow? Why not save them in a ini file? Why are the UID and PW stored in pretty much the same place? Why not have the UID stored in the Registry, and password stored in an ini file?

Why not put up in big letters "If you give your password out to anyone, you forfit all rights to support". Only person who knows my password, is me, only person that knows my UID, is me.

As for retrievin deleted chars, i agree, bring them back with nothing, AND a 10% loss in Stat's, that will stop people just hitting the x, and, if the x is there, and you do hit it, it says "are you sure you want to delete your char? y/n?" If they hit "Yes" ask them for the friggin password, just to make sure.

Promethius
12-08-03, 20:45
Originally posted by Arcadius
Wait a damn second, so what if you never gave out your PW and your char was deleted due to being hacked or to some database error or something, that means KK won't recover it?

I know if my char got deleted(not by me pressing X)and KK didn't recover it I would quit asap.

I agree 100% Too much work into these cahrs to just say oops and start all ova again.

msdong
12-08-03, 20:48
Originally posted by Lexxuk
...Why not put up in big letters "If you give your password out to anyone, you forfit all rights to support". Only person who knows my password, is me, only person that knows my UID, is me.
because ppl are to lazy to read. ppl will still give away their pass and be afk while loged in. this is only for KK.
after that change KK have an option to tell why are u to stupid to look for u PC?
We are not responsible for u pc and we dit anything to make shure nobody can login without knowing the password.:cool:

Dribble Joy
12-08-03, 20:51
Originally posted by Arcadius

Although I can see why people would ( and will) do this, I (hopefully) would not. But only out of principle. Yes I would be VERY ANGRY FUCKING ANGRY but that's not what NC needs atm, server population is low enough as it is.

Mattimeo
12-08-03, 21:15
Great.. just wonderful. With the amount of times I crash a day I'll spend more time typing my password than playing, brilliant move KK, really. Nice to see you're just like you were in beta..

Susan Ivanova
16-08-03, 21:03
OK, here's my solution to this. Make password saving off by default. Trying to enable it should bring up a big warning with red letters stating that your account data is going to be stored in the registry where it can be easily retrieved and KK will not take responsibility if it gets retrieved from there and you should have to confirm that you're really sure what you're going there.

This should keep KK out of trouble security-wise. Of couse you can still netgrep or keylog your account data. But at least this gives you a warm fuzzy feeling of security in your tummy. :)

Rade
16-08-03, 22:20

Dont be silly, Ive seen fucktard quotes on the gang forums from before christmas last year, did you even play nc back then? Didnt think so, now go away before I pullz out teh banz0r stek.

Oh, I didnt bother with reading more than the first page, but being generous with reimbursement never works in games like these, theres always people that take advantage of it. All the GM hours Ive put down in different games proves this over and over.

Kazuko
17-08-03, 05:01
Why not encrypt the passwords a bit better in registry and make it an option if you want it to remember your password, with it defaulting to off. That way its not KK's fault if people get thier passwords stolen--they turned it on, and everyone that keeps the crazy password KK gives us on signup is happy.

Originally posted by Susan Ivanova--several days later
OK, here's my solution to this. Make password saving off by default. Trying to enable it should bring up a big warning with red letters stating that your account data is going to be stored in the registry where it can be easily retrieved and KK will not take responsibility if it gets retrieved from there and you should have to confirm that you're really sure what you're going there.

This should keep KK out of trouble security-wise. Of couse you can still netgrep or keylog your account data. But at least this gives you a warm fuzzy feeling of security in your tummy. :)

Déjà vu?

Drake6k
17-08-03, 05:17
Doesn't bother me. KK made a very good choice here seriously.
I'm glad they are on top of things.

Susan Ivanova
17-08-03, 05:22
Déjà vu?
Probably I wasn't reading all post closely enough. But being one of those "hippies" I believe in the user's choice. If he wants to do something stupid and is being aware of its consequences and implications then he should be allowed to do it. Just show him the big "from this point you're sol" warning sign. That should keep KK's lawyers happy.

Mankind
17-08-03, 05:34
God damnit, that was one of the thing I DID like about neocron's login system (the save password option). But not because of fucking retards, we can't do that anymore. It's so less of a hassle, and it's not a security risk unless you have the IQ of a 2 year old. Well everyone say thanks to the idiots!

THANKS IDIOTS!

Promethius
17-08-03, 05:35
Originally posted by Susan Ivanova
Probably I wasn't reading all post closely enough. But being one of those "hippies" I believe in the user's choice. If he wants to do something stupid and is being aware of its consequences and implications then he should be allowed to do it. Just show him the big "from this point you're sol" warning sign. That should keep KK's lawyers happy.

ya true its a rick. If your lazy like myself and want to save ur PW u should be able to. If your cautious and don't want it saved well thats your chioce. I don't think they should force us to nto save it. its like how would the other people feel if they forced you to save ur PW.

ericdraven
17-08-03, 05:36
Originally posted by Susan Ivanova

Yep. Especially since this supposed "security patch" will actually decrease the security. :lol:

kurai
17-08-03, 07:35
Originally posted by Drake6k
Doesn't bother me. KK made a very good choice here seriously.
I'm glad they are on top of things. Unless you post some rational explanation for that, it goes down as a quote in the "Big Book Of Retard Remarks"