PDA

View Full Version : Make a living by playing MMOG's

GT_Rince
12-08-03, 13:40
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3135247.stm

Incredible - I know that peeps sell the odd account and such, but I didn't realise that so much money could be made.

Imagine your working day - get up, shower, eat and play alllll day :D Talk about Job Satisfaction :D

RuButt
12-08-03, 13:44
lol - a m8 sold a castle on one of the bigger shards for 2000$ :p (in UO)

enablerbr
12-08-03, 13:49
well suppose they will always be losers who'll buy 1's + 0's. i can't wait to see the day in neocron that someone loses their $100 RL item in game due to being ganked. for me i just see these people who buy game items with RL money as simply cheaters. i mean wheres the fun in playing if you don't have to put any effort into getting stuff.

GT_Rince
12-08-03, 13:49
Originally posted by RuButt
lol - a m8 sold a castle on one of the bigger shards for 2000$ :p (in UO)

8|

You see....

Can someone now tell me just WTF I am doing sat in an office - lol

John.nl
12-08-03, 13:53
$1000 in three weeks (before tax I suppose). It is indeed fascinating to see you can make real dough from within a virtual world.

Tho I think it's a job as hard as any other.

Rizzy
12-08-03, 13:56
It says he brings in a six figure sum now each year. fucking hell.

GT_Rince
12-08-03, 13:57
Originally posted by John.nl

Tho I think it's a job as hard as any other.

You are probably right - in many respects, you rely on virtual products being made available. If these 'dry up' you are stuffed.

Even so, I still think it would be fun playing and making money at the same time :)

hinch
12-08-03, 14:00
there is nothing in any game i would ever buy for real money due to teh fact there is nothing in any game you couldnt get for your self with abit of effort.

enablerbr
12-08-03, 14:01
how's it hard. most these types of game traders have groups of them. like say clan's, guilds etc.. who all work together on this. also they do nothing but spend all day camping certain hot spots for the loot. hard my arse.

GT_Rince
12-08-03, 14:04
Originally posted by hinch
there is nothing in any game i would ever buy for real money due to teh fact there is nothing in any game you couldnt get for your self with abit of effort.

Couldn't agree more - but for every 1 person that wouldn't pay for something, I bet there are 3 that would - if it is what you need... Although I am also willing to bet that most peeps say that they would NEVER pay for a game item.

Say, for example, a DS goes up for sale on Ebay, you can't tell me that loads of peeps with PSI's wouldn't place a bid in the hope that they could obtain a very very awkward item for a bit or real money (say $50).

djskum
12-08-03, 14:07
Originally posted by Rizzy
It says he brings in a six figure sum now each year. fucking hell.

I second that motion! Fucking Hell!!!

DjSKum

funkeymonkey
12-08-03, 14:12
Paying real money for ingame items? Some people have got more money than sense.

Helen Angilley
12-08-03, 14:15
If playing computer games becomes your job, what would you do for fun?

It might sound great, but just like "testing" computer games, the reality is much, much different from the dream.

jernau
12-08-03, 14:15
Originally posted by GT_Rince
Say, for example, a DS goes up for sale on Ebay, you can't tell me that loads of peeps with PSI's wouldn't place a bid in the hope that they could obtain a very very awkward item for a bit or real money (say $50).

Someone sold an SA on Jupiter for a lot more than that a few weeks ago.

HellHound
12-08-03, 14:17
Yeah, if playing computer games was my job, then for relaxation I'd be doing bizarre stuff like going to the beach or for walks through the country, visiting the park or going to the pub every night - you know, freaky shit like that. :eek:

GT_Rince
12-08-03, 14:21
Originally posted by Helen Angilley

Same as I do now - go to the pub, out for a meal, to the pictures, to a concert, down the gym, meet up with friends, take my son on holiday... the list goes on.

It might sound great, but just like "testing" computer games, the reality is much, much different from the dream.

Well, my brother is a project manager for a big games house. I know some of his friends that test games all day - they love it. One has been doing it more or less since he left school - over 6 years now. He said he wakes up in the morning and can't wait to get to work - how many of us can say that :)

But, this thread isn't about testing games - it is about peeps selling in-game items to make a living.

Edit-----

originally posted by HellHound
Yeah, if playing computer games was my job, then for relaxation I'd be doing bizarre stuff like going to the beach or for walks through the country, visiting the park or going to the pub every night - you know, freaky shit like that.

LOL :lol:

Scikar
12-08-03, 14:25
Originally posted by Helen Angilley

Who says playing computer games can't be fun AND your job at the same time? :p

hinch
12-08-03, 14:25
Couldn't agree more - but for every 1 person that wouldn't pay for something, I bet there are 3 that would - if it is what you need... Although I am also willing to bet that most peeps say that they would NEVER pay for a game item.

im selling my ds for $100 if anybody is interested :)

Originally posted by Scikar

nobody it is my job

GT_Rince
12-08-03, 14:28
im selling my ds for $100 if anybody is interested :)

LOL - see....

BTW, any advertising on the forums for anything will get deleted and could get my thread closed o_O

I'd edit quick :D

hinch
12-08-03, 14:29
tis a joke as if i`d really sell it
its staying in my head for the day kk and the wankers pull their heads outta their asses and reinstate the hybrids to the lvl they should be ie patch 165 time

GT_Rince
12-08-03, 14:31
its staying in my head for the day kk and the wankers pull their heads outta their asses and reinstate the hybrids to the lvl they should be ie patch 165 time

Neeeever gonna happen :D

Back on topic though, has anyone ever played UO ? Looking at it, it's not what I would call 'my kinda game'.

HellHound
12-08-03, 14:33
UO? I played it years ago on a free trial... as I remember, I repeatedly lost a fight with a rabbit and gave up in frustration. o_O

El_MUERkO
12-08-03, 14:34
I have no great desire to buy stuff in RL for neocron but I dont take it as serious as others.

However with the irritation that is MC5 and the vastly diluted rares pool its only a matter of time before selling equipment becomes more common place.

I've already been offered money for my account as and when I leave neocron. I keep putting that off though, want to see what DOY is like first.

GT_Rince
12-08-03, 14:34
Originally posted by HellHound
as I remember, I repeatedly lost a fight with a rabbit and gave up in frustration. o_O

rofl :lol: Was probably teh Bunneh !!! :eek:

Sokaris
12-08-03, 15:54
My girlfriend plays that game all the time.. maybe I have something here.. hmm she has been lookin for extra cash as well.. :p

Pitspawn
12-08-03, 16:04
People really get worked up over virtual items/accounts being sold with real life money. Lets be honest, playing a mmorpg doesnt just take a lot of time, it takes unrealistic time. There is almost no such thing as a mmorpg casual gamer, and those that are will never be as good as the hardcore gamers. Not because of reflexes/skill etc, but normally because of equipment/capping out etc. Neocrons leveling system isnt as harsh as other games. I think in some mmorpg there are no caps or capping takes many months. Also other mmorpg really have RARES. Im talking shit that only 1 in 100 players will have at any given time. Drops from epic mobs that take 20-50 people to bring down. It works like this...

Some people got shit loads of time and can play games all their life. These people are usually very short of cash. While others who work all day normally have a lot of cash but very little time to cap out a char and get them uber equip. Both can give each other what they need in exchange for cash/accounts.

John.nl
12-08-03, 16:15
Originally posted by Pitspawn
[...] Some people got shit loads of time and can play games all their life. These people are usually very short of cash. While others who work all day normally have a lot of cash but very little time to cap out a char and get them uber equip. Both can give each other what they need in exchange for cash/accounts.

Yes, I wish I could pay a player to level my chars a few points. Say, $2 a point for my spy's DEX maybe.

But I wouldnt trust a stranger with my account password :)

Original monk
12-08-03, 16:24
nice words pitspawn, i agree fully

LTA
12-08-03, 16:25
Originally posted by Scikar

indeed..

For me it would be just a normall day but i'd get paid for it!!

All i do atm is play games (Student no money etc) and go out the weekend.

I wouldnt turn down an offer of a job and a games co

KimmyG
12-08-03, 16:31
HHAHAH

Just 20 hours a week traveling in UO
Inaccurate

Beanie McChimp
12-08-03, 16:36
did any one see the picture and caption of star wars galaxies?
and people say it is shit and a waste of time but people who are selling and making a geat deal of money right now probaly people who got made fun for leaving neocron must be pissing themselves laughing playing on a custom built best of the best pc paid for by mugs who buy accounts and ingame items.

If a evil random pk'er like ITAK-MAN on uranus payed for say a cs for £300 but he has neg sl and gets pkd while lvling and loses it in his belt that would of been a waste of money and i would be there in plaza 1 while hes bitching about losing his cs while im pissing myself laughing. much like this
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kl0wn
12-08-03, 17:07
i sold my account for 65 us.

I know someone who sold about 300 Milion on Ebay .. for about the same amount of money + a zero :D

i seen account of NC goes for 300 (the guys worked for it he has everything with capped char)

if i want i could sell my SWG account , i just have a Creature Handler but that what people want , another Pack of cash

@KK : you can delete this forum account if you think im cheating , i don't think ill come back, by the time you get one patch out , SWG got about 10. and what coming is even more incredible.

GT_Rince
12-08-03, 17:07
playing a mmorpg doesnt just take a lot of time, it takes unrealistic time.

Ain't that the truth. I play NC about 5-7 hours per day (thats normally) unless going out or doing other stuff - but that's an average. Still, I find myself lagging behind others who have more time to level.

Also other mmorpg really have RARES. Im talking shit that only 1 in 100 players will have at any given time. Drops from epic mobs that take 20-50 people to bring down. It works like this...

Now, imho, this is how rares should be - they should be uber rare. Something where it actually means something to own it.

Some people got shit loads of time and can play games all their life. These people are usually very short of cash. While others who work all day normally have a lot of cash but very little time to cap out a char and get them uber equip. Both can give each other what they need in exchange for cash/accounts.

As far as I am concerned, if it is not hurting someone, and no-body gets ripped off, why shouldn't they profit from the time they put in. They already pay for the game and a monthly fee - the games company shouldn't be that bothered.

Cryton
12-08-03, 17:14
I can smell that Rince is considering a career change :p

/Cryton

Assimilator
12-08-03, 17:18
Grr... biased news site, didn't even mention NC anywhere! We're not getting the publicity we deserve :)

Delloda
12-08-03, 17:25
People really get worked up over virtual items/accounts being sold with real life money. Lets be honest, playing a mmorpg doesnt just take a lot of time, it takes unrealistic time. There is almost no such thing as a mmorpg casual gamer, and those that are will never be as good as the hardcore gamers. Not because of reflexes/skill etc, but normally because of equipment/capping out etc. Neocrons leveling system isnt as harsh as other games. I think in some mmorpg there are no caps or capping takes many months. Also other mmorpg really have RARES. Im talking shit that only 1 in 100 players will have at any given time. Drops from epic mobs that take 20-50 people to bring down. It works like this...

Lineage comes to mind.

Chaplin
12-08-03, 17:39
Well, lets see what will happen when WoW comes out ... ;)

Clothing_Option
12-08-03, 17:46
8|

You see....

Can someone now tell me just WTF I am doing sat in an office - lol

I understand ur POV but i just checked ebay and theres notheing on there worth much

KimmyG
12-08-03, 17:49
Originally posted by Kl0wn
@KK : you can delete this forum account if you think im cheating , i don't think ill come back, by the time you get one patch out , SWG got about 10. and what coming is even more incredible.

Cranking out patchs dont make a game none shit.
Fact is Fact

NC>SWG

If I was a chick I would wear the thong

GT_Rince
12-08-03, 17:49
Originally posted by Cryton
I can smell that Rince is considering a career change :p

/Cryton

LOL - I tell you, if I thought I could make easy money playing a game, then I would :D

Originally posted by Clothing_option
I understand ur POV but i just checked ebay and theres notheing on there worth much

Yeah - Neocron is not the sort of game you could do that with - you would need something like UO - you would need all those thousands of people.

tw@
12-08-03, 17:57
This is really interesting that people can make a career out of this.

I was thinking, i have over 100 million credits on saturn, and do you think i could sell them bit by bit on eBay and make some cash? Because most people who know me will know that i can rustle up about 30 million a day, but ive stopped recently because i have no need for the money. Also, apparently people buy like 10 million credits on neocron for like 20 pounds (UK) or more. So maybe i could make some real cash... Same goes for big players on saturn and other servers who's accounts would really go for big cash.

The problem is, i dont think it is possible for me, or any other player to make a career out of neocron, because to be honest i dont think it will ever have the lifespan that things like UO and SWG will have.

Also - i would probably end up hating myself, because i would think i was being paid for soemthing that didnt deserve it. I'm one of those people completely against professional sports like Football/Soccer, because of the huge amounts they get paid.

Nexxy
12-08-03, 20:08
its crazy crazy, just look at shit like this - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3040398112&category=4596 - its stupid what people will pay for. I sold some duped shit from ragnarok on ebay and made like £100. If people can make a living out of it though fair play to em, and if mugs wanna buy shit off ebay thats their problem. I find it just as enjoyable getting stuff as using it, but not everyones like me..

kane
12-08-03, 20:15
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3135247.stm

Incredible - I know that peeps sell the odd account and such, but I didn't realise that so much money could be made.

Imagine your working day - get up, shower, eat and play alllll day :D Talk about Job Satisfaction :D

Im sure you have heard of runescape.. about 1-2 weeks ago.. A guy there got sold for over 19,000 us dollers.