PDA

View Full Version : Poking - Ready now as a trade skill?

Archeus
12-08-03, 10:17
What I mean is, no longer working off tips.

I've been running a poker for a while now at 2k poke up front. Partly as a test and partly because of poor tips (due to a saturated market).

It appears to work very well, at least for me. I was wondering how the customers see it? Do you prefer to tip? or fixed fee?

When the new poke tools are activated I would say that a lot of Pokers are going to go this way?

Velvet
12-08-03, 10:34
YES!
Arrange a price up front.
Poking / constructing / researching for tips...:mad:
It`s enough to give you the creeps:p

SynC_187
12-08-03, 11:07
I pay between 5k and 10k for pokes. I used to poke and most people didn't tip, so I LoM'd. I pay well to try and make sure a few people carry on.

Brammers
12-08-03, 11:42
At the end of the day, I'm happy to pay for pokes upfront - so long as I can get poked!

It's not unusual for me to tip a poker about 20k for 5 high level pokes. (oh boy it was an epensive death day yesterday - died 3 times!)

Also the TLxx poke tools are not working on the test server yet.

n|eX
12-08-03, 11:46
Well, i'm playing ^seth on Pluto, or did (after that *censored* hydrid nerf), now i'm on Jupiter again...

It's a hybrid with 99 base implant and 115 with spy boost 3. And i tell you, you get much higher tips if you just let the people decide what they wanna pay you, trust me (only some geeks decide to pay nothing nor say thx or something - so they get on ignore, quite simple). I did this for some months and most people always paid me very well after some time. If you tell people how much money you wanna have per poke you don't get as much extra tips as if you just let them decide on their own.

Most who knew me for some time paid from 5-20k, just for some pokes (some even just for 1 poke - the crazy or uber rich ones tho, or friends who tried to support me ^^). Just because i was nearly always standing there in plaza 1 waiting for customers :)

Try it, worked quite good for me tho... This "paying before poke" is maybe good for people you don't trust - like faction enemies or known pk'ers etc..

Archeus
12-08-03, 12:07
Originally posted by n|eX
If you tell people how much money you wanna have per poke you don't get as much extra tips as if you just let them decide on their own.

Which works in a sellers market but the Poke industry is saturated so runners can pick whoever they like.

LTA
12-08-03, 12:40
I normally poke anyone, the tip is upto them as it is a tip and tbh poking dosent cost me much just a few skill points o_O

I expect faction enemies to tip tho as in my eyes i am doing them one huge favour, if they dont then they dont get no pokes from moi again..... enjoy standing in plaza 1 looking for a poker!

Allies i normally say free.... but hey thats just me :D

Archeus
12-08-03, 12:54
Originally posted by LTA
I normally poke anyone, the tip is upto them as it is a tip and tbh poking dosent cost me much just a few skill points o_O

Will you do the same when you have to pay over 700k to poke people?

LTA
12-08-03, 13:12
Originally posted by Archeus
Will you do the same when you have to pay over 700k to poke people?

Probably tbh asking upfront is a bit iffy

"Hi do you poke?"
"Yeah, 10k upfront plz"
"Errr but what if you dont poke..."

So then you either get the fake poker who nicks cash... or end up ppl who still wont pay..

least with constructing/researching you generally have their item so they don thave much choice in the matter... so unless they make it so you have to pass the poker the imp (mc5 HA never :p) i dunno :D

Disturbed021
12-08-03, 14:54
Originally posted by LTA

I expect faction enemies to tip tho as in my eyes i am doing them one huge favour, if they dont then they dont get no pokes from moi again..... enjoy standing in plaza 1 looking for a poker!

Yup, when a faction enemy pokes me in P1 I usually tip them pretty well, depending on which character I am using 5-50k.
The only time I haven't tipped for pokes is when I couldn't figure out who poked me and there was too much spam on local so I bail.
I would have no problem paying 2k+ upfront for pokes, but tbh I think you'd make more money just asking for tips.

Progenitor
12-08-03, 15:20
I can poke my self - except for my PSI Core. At least until I make up the 4 imp levels that spy booster 1 gave me.

If I wasn't afraid of losing multiple Int levels I would LOM the imp alltogether, but I don't want to do that just yet.

I tip 10k for the Core poke - just because it is that valuable to me.

If someone said they just wanted 2k - that would be what they get. The person that just pokes get the 10k.

-p

Beanie McChimp
12-08-03, 16:17
I always poke i see it as doing a favour with perks but under rank xx/20 i poke for free the best ever tip i got was for 1 poke and it was a core part of a special science so i asked the guy if was sure about it so the guy sais "im short on cash thats all i had" well he was rank 60/64 apu :D

i think that there should be a shop for pokers where they open a temp shop near medicare like 10k for rental that would be ok then you set your rate for each tl or per each imp

Pwnage
12-08-03, 16:58
First off, I tip for all my pokes.

But just how much does it take for you to poke?

"Need poke!"
CLICK!

And we're done.

I usualy pay like 1K per poke, because that's all that I think a simple click is worth. I usualy get only 1 poke... tops two. If I'm getting like 5 high TL pokes, I'll tip accordingly for the wait time and all.

Let me compare it to construction and researching.

Either of those the user can only serve one person at a time, because they only have one processor. Both use lube. Both people have to drag bps/rares into the processor.

You can poke 5 people in five seconds.

I just don't see it as a big deal. Granted now with the TL 115 tool, you should get tipped higher to cover that cost... but just how badly do you want to poke 115 when 90% of the public doesn't have an MC5 chip. Clans have their own pokers/budget and all.

I appreciate the pokers, but I just don't see it as a big deal like you guys.

Smugly
12-08-03, 18:29
Generally, I pay about 1K a poke when getting service, with a basic time dependent bonus of another 1K which increases if the poker is having to wait for my chips to finish implanting. To be honest, unless I knew who the poker was, I'd be a little apprehensive about paying upfront for a poke. If I saw a stranger in plaza one asking for cash upfront before poking I'd probably only pay for one poke at a time. Until I felt I could trust them.

Sleawer
12-08-03, 18:55
I dont see necessary to stablish a fee for poke, but people always (not low ranks) should tip 1-2k per service at least, and when there are no pokers around prolly more.

Pokers do not need lube yes, and do not need to drag bp's to the processor, but our tools degrade themseleves with the use, and soon a tool for my 115 poker will cost 1 million nc, so I think poking is a BIG deal, speacially when your DS/Herc/SA has dropped, and you have to wait for half an hour to find a 115 poker.

No lube is not excuse to not appreciate the poker, the person is still spending points in a subskill that you didnt want to.

Is curious to see how some people say pokers are not a big deal to tip them, but when you die, and it happens a lot in this game, the first thing you do is look for a poker, and depending of the implant dropped, probably without one you wouldnt be able to play any longer.

LTA
12-08-03, 19:28
maybe they should add remote nanites o_O

Like the remote repair ones :p

Arcadius
12-08-03, 19:34
The tools are too expensive. I always tip well. But goddamnit I'm not gonna give 30k everytime I die i'll be fucking poor.

Poking is just too necassary too often, so it can't be the same as construct or research.

Xin
12-08-03, 20:12
If I poked, and tips sucked, I would do it like any real world business and charge for the service, then task for a tip.
"Poking: 2k + tip"

Then I'd expect to get a fat tip if I poke someone as soon as they kneel and/or if it's a high TL item. If I get stiffed, I make a note and pass on 'em the next time.

hnlecter
12-08-03, 21:39
I run around screaming "OMG H4X NINJA POKER!!!!!!1" and randomly poking people. It seems to bring in customers for me.

Xian
12-08-03, 21:43
I tip depending on how many pokes I get. If it's one I'll pay 2k, if it's more I'll pay up to 10k, because its hard for a poker to tell when I need the next one and the wait times are quite long.

Archeus
12-08-03, 22:34
Originally posted by hnlecter
I run around screaming "OMG H4X NINJA POKER!!!!!!1" and randomly poking people. It seems to bring in customers for me.

When the customer pays up front, ninja poking does nothing except makes the customer happy.