PDA

View Full Version : Fry-a-computa? ONOS!

nonamebrandeggs
12-08-03, 03:56
Onos the my Hard Drive broke on my old computa, but it is still under warrenty :D. Since I'm taking it in anyways, is there any way at all to short out the whole thing, cuz I got a kickass warrenty where they gotta replace it, I don't think they got any P3 chips or Voodoo 3s in stalk, so they would give me the worst they can, like a P4 and a GF4 or something :D. So anyone know any ways to completely destroy the thing?

ex-machina
12-08-03, 04:13
jesus fucking christ.

Ehyuko
12-08-03, 04:15
I'm sure a hammer would work, but might void your warenty... same thing with a bunch of aluminum/iron/copper fillings.

MrBane
12-08-03, 04:17
Take the item, dip it in a bowl of water, count to 60, remove it, take a magnet, run it over the board / HD, repeat several times, rub it against your hair repeatedly, take a plug and cable, cut the cable to reveal the earth, live and neutral wires, attach the live and neutral to the board, plug it in, wear rubber soled shoes and stand on some polystyrene, turn it on and wait, or die, if you didn't have rubber shoes or polystyrene, then rub it against a TV screen that's just been turned off, and finally throw it off a wall.

It should be dead by now.

Or just do what I did, and send a £600 package of PC parts to Sweden. Customs always fry the fucking things whilst scanning it.

Stupid bastards.

[Edit] Forgot this one, and this does work, with great success.

- Take the board / HD / Whatever. Put it in a microwave. Place in that microwave, a sheet of tinfoil, or foil packed crisps / chips. Set the Microwave to one minute, stand well back, and turn on. Some form of protective shield or cover to hide behind works well here.

Watch the pretty blue lighting ball inside your Microwave nuke everything.

Warning: Your Microwave may explode in a massive ball of lghting and flames, but if not, you get to see a mini-lighting ball inside it.

LTA
12-08-03, 04:25
heheh rub ya hands on some carpet and prod the circuit connections with your fingers... get plenty of static on it or magnets and it shouldnt last long :p

nonamebrandeggs
12-08-03, 04:30
Originally posted by LTA
heheh rub ya hands on some carpet and prod the circuit connections with your fingers... get plenty of static on it or magnets and it shouldnt last long :p

I think I'll do that one... :wtf:.

MrBane
12-08-03, 04:41
It's not 100% guaranteed.

Seriously, do the microwave one.

Have some friends round and crack open a few beers, it makes a great show.

I've still to figure out how to keep the door open whilst it does it, then I can see if the lightning ball can move into the room. However, I intend to be in another room whilst this goes on, I'll leave my friends to watch it.

I don't like them much.

nonamebrandeggs
12-08-03, 04:45
Originally posted by MrBane
It's not 100% guaranteed.

Seriously, do the microwave one.

Have some friends round and crack open a few beers, it makes a great show.

I've still to figure out how to keep the door open whilst it does it, then I can see if the lightning ball can move into the room. However, I intend to be in another room whilst this goes on, I'll leave my friends to watch it.

I don't like them much.

But I still need the hardware :mad:! Without the original stuff no new PC for me :(.

Scikar
12-08-03, 04:52
Originally posted by nonamebrandeggs
But I still need the hardware :mad:! Without the original stuff no new PC for me :(.

Just overclock everything as far as you possibly can, remove all the fans, and hope it doesn't catch fire. :D

FBI
12-08-03, 05:10
Don't listen to these numnuts, this is what you do.

http://www.waaazup.com/p/uploads/power-supply5.jpg

Take a DC line (they all have 2 or more on each line), plug the
first dc on the line into the harddrive and then for the second dc,
get a metal wire and curve it into the middle 2 holes. This will
short circuit the computer and destroy the harddrive and power
supply. Mother board will also get screwed, sometimes it may
take one to three tries though, depends if the power supply
has good protection. Second try usually does it though.

I've done this 3 times now to get new harddrives + power supply
+ mother board because I blamed them on power surges and
defected power supplys ;)

ZoneVortex
12-08-03, 06:46
Originally posted by FBI

Damn you sly bastard.

Xian
12-08-03, 07:00
He might be sly, but it works, eh? :D

Forget My Name
12-08-03, 07:54
Originally posted by ex-machina
jesus fucking christ.

AHAHAHAHA

This is the best reply to an Egg Idiotic post ever.

Hey eggs, do humanity a favor and try this... plug your computer into a power supply, tehn hold it in your arms as you plunge into your bathtub full of water.... promise you that you will 1) short out your computer and 2) help humanity by cleaning out the gene pool some.

ZoneVortex
12-08-03, 08:01
Originally posted by Forget My Name
AHAHAHAHA

Hey eggs, do humanity a favor and try this... plug your computer into a power supply, tehn hold it in your arms as you plunge into your bathtub full of water.... promise you that you will 1) short out your computer and 2) help humanity by cleaning out the gene pool some.

Gnarf?

Jesus fucking christ... :p

Shujin
12-08-03, 09:08
hmmm jesus is fucking christ?

SynC_187
12-08-03, 11:12
Spend some money on it you cheep git.

This is why a lot of companies have cut down warranties from 3 to 1 year.

bounty
12-08-03, 11:48
seriously, just make the fan not be able to complete its RPMs and in about 20 minutes, it will be toast.

kurai
12-08-03, 11:51
Or flash the bios, and pull the power half way through.

If it's not a top end motherboard with dual or replaceable PROMs it'll instantly become a paperweight.

jernau
12-08-03, 11:55
Originally posted by bounty
seriously, just make the fan not be able to complete its RPMs and in about 20 minutes, it will be toast.

And the burnt mark on the chip will make it bloody obvious what you did :rolleyes:

/edit - if you really are going to do it then Kurai's suggestion is best. Burning giberish into the bios will kill it and be untraceable. Only problem is that it will only kill the motherboard so that will probably be the only thing they replace. Shorting the PSU will work but they might be suspicious and make trouble for you.

Beanie McChimp
12-08-03, 19:12
GO UP ON THE ROOF OF YOUR HOUSE AND DROP IT
SMASH!! !

Peeping Tom
12-08-03, 19:16
Originally posted by jernau
And the burnt mark on the chip will make it bloody obvious what you did :rolleyes:

/edit - if you really are going to do it then Kurai's suggestion is best. Burning giberish into the bios will kill it and be untraceable. Only problem is that it will only kill the motherboard so that will probably be the only thing they replace. Shorting the PSU will work but they might be suspicious and make trouble for you.
you can fuck the gfx card same way cantyou ? just put inn a diff gfx card and repeat with teh mobo :P hm would it the same thing work on fucking the hd's firmware to ?
K4F

bounty
12-08-03, 19:28
actually the burnt mark doesn't void my warranty. Not my fault that the fan wasn't suitible to keep that card cool ;)

jernau
12-08-03, 20:50
actually the burnt mark doesn't void my warranty. Not my fault that the fan wasn't suitible to keep that card cool ;)

Depends a lot on the company, the "engineer" and who pays for the warranty (shop or insurer). Anyone with a clue would know what you did.

CPUs don't burn-up after years of use for one and for another a fast-overheat burn is very different to that made by a long slow death. All CPUs from the last 10+ years have had thermal cut-outs which makes it very hard to burn them out by accident.

You might get away with it but only if they are either stupid or lazy. Then again i reckon most of the drones in PC World/Best Buy would take a week to identify the faulty component.

bounty
12-08-03, 20:55
you don't think video cards burn out on their own? lol

jernau
12-08-03, 21:09
you don't think video cards burn out on their own? lol

Yeah they do (mine did recently) but the kind of damage that you'd get by blowing out a CPU (or GPU) that way is only likely to happen on a very new chip (even then it's pretty rare these days).

After several years of use that kind of failure would be very suspicious.

Like I say - it depends on the person that looks at it. Some won't know and many won't care.

Kugero
12-08-03, 21:20
ok try this. If you have on of those old house hold plug in de-ionizers you can take a piece of electric wire and solder an aligator clip to one end and just strip/tin 1/4" of bare wire on the other end.

Connect the aligator clip to one of the Ion discharge needles, plug the unit it and then take the other end and randomly poke any/all IC's you see. You'll get about 40K volt arc into whatever you ground to. Amperage is low enough you won't kill yourself.

Gauranteed to bork anything electronic. For the power supply just hit one of the capaciters or a diode or something.

When you finish with your comp you can connect the bare end to the back side of a metalic door knob and watch your friends shock the crap out of themselves when they grab the handle on the other side. The fun times have just begun ...

Tregard
12-08-03, 21:30
Originally posted by Forget My Name
AHAHAHAHA

:p
cleaning the gene pool....reminds me....use google to search for the Darwin Awards website...you'll love (and cringe) at the stuff on there.:D

Ren
12-08-03, 21:36
which company is this for?

/me sends a link to this thread.

bd*
13-08-03, 02:01
Originally posted by FBI

^^ Most likely to work, old PSUs arent as good as new ones so more susetable. Others risk voiding warrenty.

Or, my personal choice

(Just for old times NMF :p)

http://personals.galaxyinternet.net/tunga/SledgeHammer1.jpg
http://www.singsingsing.com/has/print1.jpg

KRUNK SMASH!