PDA

View Full Version : Bladerunner

cshank2
11-08-03, 21:49
Where can I find a copy of this old movie? Ive heard tis great but Ive never seen it....

extract
11-08-03, 21:51
=O thats sacreligous =P

HellHound
11-08-03, 21:52
Never.... seen.... Blade Runner?

*convulsions*

If you can't get it from Amazon or something, I'll eat my PC.

kurai
11-08-03, 21:52
Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0790729628/qid%3D1060630868/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-0499456-7156054)

Hell's Grannie
11-08-03, 21:57
Better yet, read the novel : Philip K. Dick - Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep ?

Have fun.

Ste-X
11-08-03, 22:13
top film :)

kurai
11-08-03, 22:18
Originally posted by Hell's Grannie
Better yet, read the novel : Philip K. Dick - Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep ?

Have fun. What he said.

Nearly all film adaptations of Dick's stuff aren't a patch on the orginal story/novel.

Total Recall (We Can Remember It For You, Wholesale), Screamers (Second Variety), Minority Report, Imposter.

There are a few more films I can think of that seem to have a distinctly "Dicksian" theme or tone about them, but I couldn't pin them down to a particular story.

berty
11-08-03, 22:27
and the other 2 blade runner books (by H W Jeter - The edge of Human (book 2) cant find the other but thats equally as good).

or try Philip Jose Farmer - Dayworld

:D

kurai
11-08-03, 22:30
Bleurgh. Hated the Jeter stuff.

It felt way too much like naive fanfic - his other stuff is lots better (and lots weirder too :D)

HellHound
11-08-03, 22:41
Actually like the K W Jeter stuff, but the original Philip K Dick novels were good stuff. The World That Jones Built > all.

Total Recall = sucked ass.
Screamers = good film, but they screwed the ending. The frigging teddy bear, FFS. :mad:

What book was Minority Report based on? :confused:

Nullifidian
11-08-03, 22:46
Originally posted by HellHound
Actually like the K W Jeter stuff, but the original Philip K Dick novels were good stuff. The World That Jones Built > all.

Total Recall = sucked ass.
Screamers = good film, but they screwed the ending. The frigging teddy bear, FFS. :mad:

What book was Minority Report based on? :confused:

A short story called "Minority Report"

Though PKD's short stories have a tendancy to run around 100 pages sometimes.

And, IIRC, "We can remember it for you Wholesale" was also only a short story.

mclayton
11-08-03, 23:02
PKD is an amazing author. Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep was probably his best, and quite different from the film which had a different point to make.

You should all run to the shops and buy it! Man in the High Castle (think that's what it's called) is also great.

Nullifidian
11-08-03, 23:16
The thing with PKD though is that all his books are extremely philosophical. Add to that the fact that he suffered from acute schizophrenia and took massive quanities of LSD on a regular basis.

Also, while the movies made based on his books all are action/scifi, his books actually contain very little action at all. They are very introspective. So you can't really say "the book was better" or "the movie was better" because the two are never even remotely alike when it comes to adaptions of PKD stuff. A lot of people therefore might like the book but hate the movie or might like the movie but hate the book.

Ryu
11-08-03, 23:46
Blade Runner is on my top 5 favorite movies list .. Go rent it now!

Talios
12-08-03, 01:14
Bladerunner is a pretty cool movie but it lacks action. You really have to follow the story line to know whats going on....

Krll
12-08-03, 01:21
You think Blade Runner is old and hard to find?

Oh dear...

Try finding "A Matter of Life and Death" (subtitle: A Stairway to Heaven).

Quality film and the inspiration for various depictions of "The Stairway to Heaven" (and heaven itself) since then.

One of the first lines:
"This is the universe... big, isn't it?"

Originally posted by Talios
Bladerunner is a pretty cool movie but it lacks action. You really have to follow the story line to know whats going on....

Amen to that. Still beats 2001 for action though.

-Krll

Smugly
12-08-03, 04:47
I really didn't enjoy it. But then I think I was expecting Shadowrun: The Movie as opposed to what I got which was mostly dialogoue and morality issues.....

I dunno, maybe I really do just like moderatly violent movies with simple plots. I just understand them better.....

Original monk
12-08-03, 10:25
Originally posted by Nullifidian
Add to that the fact that he suffered from acute schizophrenia and took massive quanities of LSD on a regular basis.

:angel:

El_MUERkO
12-08-03, 12:20
I hope everyone is talking about the directors cut and not the orginal, fot if not i will twomp you good o_O

Also read 'Inifinity welcomes careful drivers', because I order it.

greendonkeyuk
12-08-03, 13:51
Yes for the love of god dont get the "standard" version, you will know it because theres this lame narration all the way through it and the ending is a bag of spanners.

The directors cut owns! Action or not, guys i have one thing to say,

"tell me about your mother." :eek:

HumphreY
12-08-03, 16:31
Originally posted by greendonkeyuk
Yes for the love of god dont get the "standard" version, you will know it because theres this lame narration all the way through it and the ending is a bag of spanners.

The directors cut owns! Action or not, guys i have one thing to say,

"tell me about your mother." :eek:

Somehow I loved the narration in the standard version. Call me freak, yet it gives you the very touch of a dirty detective story à la Raymond Chandler. :rolleyes:

The DC ending is really better, point there. And the book upon which the film based is unbeatable.

bounty
12-08-03, 16:34
Originally posted by kurai

There are a few more films I can think of that seem to have a distinctly "Dicksian" theme or tone about them,

Not sure that's how I want to be remembered hehe :D dicksian? :)

Argent
12-08-03, 20:56
I think that the Blade Runner is one of the best movies ever but still haven't got the DVD. Guess why?

http://www.brmovie.com/

http://www.brmovie.com/FAQs/index.htm