PDA

View Full Version : Neocron cheating mentioned on Slashdot

Skinfitz
11-08-03, 21:06
The recent Neocron trojan programs have been mentioned on slashdot (/.)

Here (http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/08/11/176245&mode=thread&tid=127&tid=186&tid=206&tid=209)

d3ik
11-08-03, 21:11
ooo.... free advertising... *Mr. Burns impression* Excellent......

Xian
11-08-03, 21:14
Free advertising? I don't know what kind of advertising you would do, but "come to our game and watch players hand you keyloggers!" doesn't seem very inviting.

Not saying thats the policy, but an article like that doesn't give good publicity in my opinion.

QuantumDelta
11-08-03, 21:15
It's called Publicity, not advertising.

Advertising = Promotional.

Publicity is almost always bad.

d3ik
11-08-03, 21:23
Yeah, especially when people go to the forums to see what they're talking about... and see how the dev's handled the situation. They banned the people involved and disseminated the information quickly to the player base.

Plus, no press is bad press.
(I don't know the exact quote, but it's something like that)

QuantumDelta
11-08-03, 21:28
no press is good press :P
says my business studies certificate o_O

Glyc
11-08-03, 21:32
erm have they mentioned how to get rid of the skills.sfx.exe program or the stuff it installed? that might help the newbies who downloaded it needing help.

oh and might help me to

d3ik
11-08-03, 21:44
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
no press is good press :P
says my business studies certificate o_O

Damn college grad *grumble, grumble*
Can't argue with that logic.
Although in my mind I am still right :D

[Edit -

I just thought of something. I heard once that some guy beat in another guy's car windshield in RL because he took some items from him in EQ or stole his castle or something else lame like that. It made the news... you think it would help or hurt the game if something like that happened in Neocron? It would be 'publicity', not necessarily good but it might make some people check out the game. *starts spinning wheels on how to stage such a stunt* heheheh.....

]

Bob Monkhouse
11-08-03, 22:16
There are two ways of looking at it
"No news is good news" (as QD said, but with more old fashioned words, well I AM old)

I.E. It is better to hear nothing than hear something negative.

Alternatively
"There is no such think as bad publicity"
This is the oft quoted mantra of post modernist advertising/marketing types, who believe that it is better to have people saying bad things about you/your product than being totally unaware of it.

Take your pick. Maybe articles like this will pique the interest of someone who has never heard of NC, and they will look further. Alternatively maybe some people who might have been about to try our wonderful hobby/life vacuum will be put off......

Arghh, damned whichever viewpoint you subscribe to, thats life.

Sinead O'Connor
11-08-03, 22:18
cheating is (and has been) rampant in this game.

\\Fényx//
11-08-03, 22:20
Originally posted by Sinead O'Connor
cheating is (and has been) rampant in this game.

says the troll :rolleyes: lemme guess you lost a fight or something and ur still bitter

kurai
11-08-03, 22:21
Originally posted by Sinead O'Connor
cheating is (and has been) rampant in this game. Does the word "hyperbole" mean anything to you ?

Nasher
11-08-03, 22:52
Its the same "hack" that has been going around a lot of places (including IRC). You can fix it by just going to windows update and downloading a patch :)

nonamebrandeggs
11-08-03, 23:02
Originally posted by kurai
Does the word "hyperbole" mean anything to you ?

I can't speak for Sinead, but it sure doesn't mean anything to me... what does "Hyperbole" mean? :(:confused:

Skinfitz
11-08-03, 23:03
Originally posted by nonamebrandeggs
I can't speak for Sinead, but it sure doesn't mean anything to me... what does "Hyperbole" mean? :(:confused:
I've told you a MILLION TIMES eggs - it means to eggsagerate. ;)

Russian
11-08-03, 23:05
Overexxagaration (whateverhellyouspellthislongword)

MadDog
11-08-03, 23:05
They banned the people involved

I would really like KK to post when large numbers of people get banned, its good for the community to know when it happens. For all i know, no one was banned for this.

Brammers
11-08-03, 23:12
Stand by for the slashdot effect.... :)

...and by luck I have some mod points left today, hopefully thrown at the right posts ;)

BramTops
11-08-03, 23:19
damn... now everybody is scared of 3rd-party programs... :( :( :(

i'd like to get (if its possible) an "approved by Reakktor" label or something before i release 1.0...

this stuff really ruins it for the legit programmers who are just trying to do something nice for the community. :(

Brammers
11-08-03, 23:24
This spyware problem is not going to be unique to Neocron. Star Wars, UO and Everquest will (Or already) get targetted by the lowlife scum coders out there.

Also about the slashdot story - it's in the games section, which I don't think it gets so much attention from the readers as the main front page.

hnlecter
11-08-03, 23:39
You deserve to get bugs if you try to cheat.

\\Fényx//
11-08-03, 23:41
Originally posted by hnlecter
You deserve to get bugs if you try to cheat.

Whats bug's gotta do with the price of fish?

hnlecter
11-08-03, 23:54
Did I miss the point of the thread? :wtf:

Krll
12-08-03, 00:21
I can't tell if that site is sorry that the cheats don't work, or if they are sorry that KK are pointing out the key loggers to people. :wtf:

Either way they deserve a big old kick upside the face!

Originally posted by d3ik Plus, no press is bad press. (I don't know the exact quote, but it's something like that) I think "Neocron causes Anthrax!" would be bad press. ;)

Originally posted by hnlecter
Did I miss the point of the thread? :wtf:

I think so... they are talking about third party hax in supposedly helpful cheat/whatever code, not bugs. Bugs are not intentional. But I agree that if you try and cheat, you deserve to get your account haxxored.

-Krll

FlashFF
12-08-03, 01:40
hmmm...
if someone that tries to cheat deserves to get hacked...
what if the hacker takes alll of their in game stuff for their own?

that means one cheater loses for another to win... thats bad lol

ignore me... its late

Krll
12-08-03, 01:47
Originally posted by FlashFF
hmmm...
if someone that tries to cheat deserves to get hacked...
what if the hacker takes alll of their in game stuff for their own?

that means one cheater loses for another to win... thats bad lol

ignore me... its late

Hmmm... serves the first cheater right... but the second cheater gains... I see your point.

The theory being that KK figure out who the second cheater is and ban the fucker, so everyone gets their just deserts. :D

-Krll