PDA

View Full Version : Question to Americans.

hinch
11-08-03, 11:08
OK so it turns out that work may be moving me to a research/design facility in the US. Now the somewhat sketchy details so far say it`s going to be a 3 year move so that`ll mean me selling up in UK and buying stuff in US. Not a problem with that since everythings so fking cheap over there.

My problem is my Car. I gotta have my car. Are there any nation wide Japanese car importers over there or is it all based on a local kinda system?
Here in the UK one small company can do the whole country but since US is quite considerably bigger I need to know what the chances are of me getting the car i want over there as it`ll cost me a fortune to import mine.

Note i dont want the US version i want the proper jap version :)

extract
11-08-03, 11:28
problem is most proper jap versions arent legal over here otherwise theyd be readily available.....

I know this firsthand because while I was living in okinawa on a military assignment I happened to purchase a nice nissan skyline only to have to sell it because I found out it was "too fast" to be legal over here....yet people can drive around in theyre shitty POS vipers and corvettes...oh well...good luck gettin it done tho

hinch
11-08-03, 11:31
Originally posted by extract
problem is most proper jap versions arent legal over here otherwise theyd be readily available.....

I know this firsthand because while I was living in okinawa on a military assignment I happened to purchase a nice nissan skyline only to have to sell it because I found out it was "too fast" to be legal over here....yet people can drive around in theyre shitty POS vipers and corvettes...oh well...good luck gettin it done tho

thats the problem need to swap a uk spec vspec for a jap spec one in america (UK version was un restricted with factory standard 378bph and topping out at 180mph jap is limited to 118mph but can be desrestricted quite easily)

reason i dont want a uk vspec in america is the import costs are phenominal and only 500 were sold of uk spec ones so getting one will be hard hense the need for a jap spec as the american spec one is as nerfed as a hybrid monk. :(

PS. dont care if its not legal :)

extract
11-08-03, 11:51
well perhaps legal wasnt the right word...but you have same problem as me...they wanted thousands of dollars to bring it over when i only paid like 4 thousand for the car over there...wasnt a very good investment for me at the time...but as far as gettin you info on where to find a jap version I cant help you this was years ago like 1995 Im sure things have changed quite a bit...and frankly I just dont remember lol sorry =/

Beefheart
11-08-03, 12:26
Ship your car here if it's that important. Unless you mention the model you want, i really couldn't answer your question

hinch
11-08-03, 12:32
that wast £5,000 to ship and re register mine to over there including paying import duty

2001 Skyline R34 VspecII

Beefheart
11-08-03, 12:51
Well, if you can find out what that car is named here it'll help cause there is no skyline, it's prob just named diff here. However, 5k pounds might not be so bad to spend if you are gonna be here 3 yrs, you will after all have the car you want and also it'll be pretty unique

Glok
11-08-03, 13:01
Check out the emissions standards where you are going to move. My brother couldn't register his canadian car down here because it didn't meet EPA or some shit. He ended up taking it back to Canada and selling it.

hinch
11-08-03, 13:17
good point on the emissions :( though it meets UK spec so should meet US ones too

They are called skylines in the US im 99% sure of that as theyre called skylines everywhere

kurai
11-08-03, 13:21
I think the V-35 (aka Infiniti to the US market) was the only Skyline to ever be properly marketed/imported officially.

There *are* hardcore old style Skylines around in the US, but they are hard to come by, and have mostly been riced to death.

IronMonkey
11-08-03, 13:25
Originally posted by kurai
and have mostly been riced to death.

got to love the riced to death part in your statement. Couldn't be more true lol

hinch
11-08-03, 13:27
arg i just want a factory standard r34 has to be the vspec II though not normal vspec (i have my reasonings)

as for import i hate the thought of it sitting on a boat for 2 weeks + to br brought over :( i dont trust boats

Spoon
11-08-03, 19:15
Just sell or store your car, Buy one over here....

You can get a decent car for cheap here, these days...

You may have trouble getting replacement parts for a Skyline here, unless alot of the parts interchange with the Infiniti, if not, the dealer/repair shops would have to import them, and they tend to rape ya pretty bad already, when it comes to the repair bill......:eek:

nonamebrandeggs
11-08-03, 19:18
Just get a SUV, you'lle fit right in ;).

nonamebrandeggs
11-08-03, 19:18

Shujin
11-08-03, 19:21
Just get a SUV, you'lle fit right in . ;)

Scikar
11-08-03, 19:23

(Sorry couldn't help myself.)

Progenitor
11-08-03, 19:26
Might I suggest you try Vehix (http://www.vehix.com/) or another site like it.

If it is availble - someone is selling one.

Although for three years, you might just want to lease it instead of buying it. You'd never get your money back on selling it after 3 years.

-p

Shujin
11-08-03, 19:27
awww u broke the chain!

hinch
11-08-03, 19:38
vehix doesnt have them

as for spares etc ignore the price consideration. asume for the time being that "money is no option" im just trying to find a place i can buy one.

im not fussed about loosing lots of money on resale or anything just want to get my hands on one thats all

Futureman
11-08-03, 20:28
sorry but there is no way of importing a car into america legaly unless its an american version of the car. I know this because I am a member of the TDI club in america. www.tdiclub.com. There are much better diesels in Europe, and these guys have looked into every avenue as to how you can import european cars into america. Unless it is 15 years old...no way. It has to do with the fact that they weren't built to comply with US safety standards. Its really just trade protection but there it is. I know a good shiping company though that would ship my car from US to Germany for 700$ Its pretty darn cheap but i am afraid you'll never legally use your car in America. (not because its right-hand drive, though)

Futureman
11-08-03, 20:30
sorry for the double post, but with the old skyline deal. The importer paid to have about 10 of those crash tested so he could have them certified to sell in America. So unless it is a model that has gone through testing in America, you can't do it legally

Cass
12-08-03, 03:57
If you're moving to America, I suggest you: Store your Skyline where you're at, because you'll never get it smogged in any state. Your chances of getting it stolen are far higher than getting it US-street-legal. You WILL be pulled over by any cop you pass because Skyline's are JUST NOT SEEN HERE. Ignoring all this, expect to pay somewhere around $1200-1400 USD a month for insurance (which is mandatory).
Drop your accent for something resembling..., oh I dunno... Texas or Kentucky.
Buy yourself a massive piece of American steel such as a '63 Cadillac or a late 60's Lincoln. The fewer miles to the gallon it gets, the better. Put cattle horns on the front of it, and a horn that plays "Dixie".
Complain that $1.90 a gallon is too much to pay for Gasoline to everyone you come in contact with.

SovKhan
12-08-03, 04:02
Originally posted by Cass
If you're moving to America, I suggest you: Store your Skyline where you're at, because you'll never get it smogged in any state. Your chances of getting it stolen are far higher than getting it US-street-legal. You WILL be pulled over by any cop you pass because Skyline's are JUST NOT SEEN HERE. Ignoring all this, expect to pay somewhere around $1200-1400 USD a month for insurance (which is mandatory).
Buy yourself a massive piece of American steel such as a '63 Cadillac or a late 60's Lincoln. The fewer miles to the gallon it gets, the better. Put cattle horns on the front of it, and a horn that plays "Dixie".
Complain that $1.90 a gallon is too much to pay for Gasoline to everyone you come in contact with.

LMFAO, although it isnt like that in NE US, everyone has a SUV around here. or a bmw.

isnt skyline drivers seat on the rigth side???

hinch
12-08-03, 10:46
Originally posted by Cass

euro emissions standards are twice as harsh as the us so if it matches over here then the us is simple. insurance/cost isnt an issue
being pulled over is :( its bad enough over here
if i cant get what i want then i think ive got the 2nd choice found after searching for a old `68 mustang convertiable on google i found this
http://www.sandersonsales.com/eleanor.html

kurai
12-08-03, 10:55
There's also the crash test issue.

Most US vehicles have to be built with an extra engineered in "Retard Factor" - some people will do just plain fucking dumb shit, then merrily sue when they fuck themselves up.

Example: Airbags have to be approx twice as powerful as EU ones because of some people refusing to wear seatbelts, and suing when the airbag alone didn't protect them.

hinch
12-08-03, 11:03
air bags have been toned down over here because there has been several death incidents due to air bag snapping necks

Futureman
12-08-03, 13:50
that's what im trying to say though. It doesn't matter that the European Standards are better, they aren't recognized as being so. That's the reason why we have crappy headlights. The E-Codes that you guys have are far better, but DOT is the standard here, it sucks, but because its the standard you have to follow it.

Martlet
12-08-03, 18:37
Originally posted by hinch

PS. dont care if its not legal :)

Stay in your own country then, if you aren't willing to obey the laws here.

hinch
12-08-03, 18:39
Originally posted by Martlet
Stay in your own country then, if you aren't willing to obey the laws here.

bite me tbh its a car i like driving and i like my big fast cars but i like proper cars not these 2mpg american tanks that drive like a park bench on jelly

Futureman
12-08-03, 23:33
sorry dude,

our laws regaurding this suck ass, but i don't see any way around it. As far as not being legal, that would mean you wouldn't be able to have a tag, probably, meaning you would get pulled over and asked a lot. I am not an expert, but as far as i know its a bad idea...really sorry though, because I know the feeling.

NeoWolfie
12-08-03, 23:57
Originally posted by hinch
bite me tbh its a car i like driving and i like my big fast cars but i like proper cars not these 2mpg american tanks that drive like a park bench on jelly

Talk about living in the past.. For the most part the domestic cars here have basically the same fuel economy as the imports for the most part.

You can have a Skyline Imported from Japan, however your basically looking at 2x the cost for it compared to buying and owning it in Japan. And I believe sometime in the future the Skyline will be sold State side but through Infiniti..

Me personally tho.. I'm biased as hell when it comes to cars.. I don't like imports and I hate new cars in general..

Then again I'm not even American so :p

Nixon
13-08-03, 00:00
Originally posted by extract

Nissan Skyline..

*drool*

cobrajay157
13-08-03, 00:19
unless its like a super duper car i would just buy a new one like a ford :p :p

hinch
13-08-03, 01:17
Originally posted by cobrajay157
unless its like a super duper car i would just buy a new one like a ford :p :p

2.6 inline 6
twin ceramic turbos
jap version is limited to 118mpg uk version is de restricted
they clam 278 bhp standard i rolling roaded mine abotu 2 months after i got it clocked at 380bph still in factory standard
0-60 in 5.2 (but clocked a fuck load quicker at 4.8)

4ws
rwd with self sencing and load balane onto fronts to compensate for over steer etc.

it IS the super car