PDA

View Full Version : Should PPU Spells Cost Less?

Mankind
10-08-03, 07:41
I don't know if a poll like this has been brought up yet or not, but let's bring it up anyway, maybe the dev's will think more about it.

Non barter char:

Parashock Beam - 47k
Psi Combat 3 - 53k
Cst Boost 3 - 53k
Hazard 3 - 53k
Holy Provoke Enemy - 53k
Holy Psi Shield 53k
Holy Heal - 47k
Holy Damage Boost - 16k
Holy Shelter - 53k
Holy Deflector 35k
Holy Ressurection -58k

That's 521,000 from the store for JUST those.
Now if you wanna get player built ones, it will cost a little less but still alot.

PPUs get the least amount of cash in hunting, and they get the most expensive stuff. Plus they have the chance of losing the most stuff. Yes I can honestly say a PPU is an expensive character and even a person with a couple million could get poor quick :p

QuantumDelta
10-08-03, 07:46
Yup.

VirtualReGen
10-08-03, 07:47
yup =P

Arcadius
10-08-03, 08:09
rofl

I was about to post "WHAT THE HELL? HELL NO"

But then I realized you meant money not mana. :p

In that case yes, they should cost a hell of alot less.

Carinth
10-08-03, 08:35
This is just one of many things wrong with ppu's incomparison to the other classes.

- Your average ppu requires an average of at least 9 spells, a few more if they wish to use rare sanctums, a few more if they wish to help a team, and a whole lot more if they want to be prepared to help any team they come accross. Personaly I carry 32 spells in my belt and inventory. Of those only 11 are level 3 booster spells, which can't be blueprinted, the rest can and should be slotted. No other class requires such a ridiculous amount of investment in weapons.

- Now how about the fact that we will always drop these spells when we die. No other class always drops their multi slotted weapons, just ppus. Tanks can't even use the excuse of their pa anymore, our pa is twice as expensive!

- Now any ppu that keeps as many spells as I do has to order them in some fashion so that he can easy swap spells to quickbelt. When you die your inventory is randomized, so you spend 5 mine reorganizing your inventory, which is probably the thing I hate most in neocron. I would love pvp 200% more then now if I didn't hafta reorganize my damn inventory.

- During pvp your average ppu shocks lots of people, because the casting cost is low and rof is fairly high. In a typical fight you could shock 6+ people. Your shock inflicts dmg and somehow is enough so that when those 6+ people die from your teamates, you get smacked with a massive sl hit. I love when people go "omg car, you're red?! how can a ppu be red?!"

- So then you've got to raise your sl, you can either idle in your apt for a week, kill rats with holy paralysis for a couple weeks, or do research missions until you get carpal tunel syndrome. What happened to the Passive PPU? We've gotta kill or tradeskill to gain our sl back... not very passive..

- Changing factions is a pain in the arse, since once again the best way is to kill npcs or players... or do aforementioned missions!

- Epics require killing players, even for ppu's!

- There's an assortment of pretty much useless ppu spells cluttering the vendor. Psi Shield (only useful for pes), Distract Mind, Turn Aggression, Damage Boost Sanctum, and others I'm forgetting right now.

Thats just what I can recall right now, there are many others.

Mankind
10-08-03, 09:02
Well said Carinth.

ZoneVortex
10-08-03, 09:06
Originally posted by Mankind
Well said Carinth.

Agreed.

Any time my PPU dies I lose a 50k nc spell, a 40k costing armor, or a 200k costing PA.

Arcadius
10-08-03, 09:06
Damage boost sanctum isnt' useless.

Mankind
10-08-03, 09:13
Originally posted by Arcadius
Damage boost sanctum isnt' useless.

It should actually be a barrel and not a sanctum, being an aggressive spell in a passive's body :p

ZoneVortex
10-08-03, 09:17
It should actually be a barrel and not a sanctum, being an aggressive spell in a passive's body :p

I think it should be a group spell that doesn't affect the caster.

Pitspawn
10-08-03, 09:18
lol i think i have one of the highest valued inventories on pluto, pretty much what all ppus have to cope with. What pisses me off more than the price problem is the need for high slotted spells. Thankfully powerarmour means that you dont HAVE to have 5 slotted spells to be good in pvp, it just helps. Before PA if you had 3 or less slots on most of your spells you had a mega disadvantage.

I really think its stupid that level3 boosters arent researchable. They decreased buff duration to 10 minutes and even at caps i can only cast the buffs at 52/min (less than one per second) When i need to cast 3x15 level 3 boosters on my clan im looking at a MINIMUM of 45 seconds to rebuff every 10 minutes(if i had infinite mana which i dont) In reality its more like rebuff for 2 minutes every 10 minutes. Its just fucked up.

Archeus
10-08-03, 09:31
Originally posted by Carinth
- There's an assortment of pretty much useless ppu spells cluttering the vendor. Psi Shield (only useful for pes), Distract Mind, Turn Aggression, Damage Boost Sanctum, and others I'm forgetting right now.

They aren't useless. The only useless one is distract mind as when you have the level to distract the monster you can take them other ways.

Provoke is great for warbie hunting when the other players are much lower level.

Carinth
10-08-03, 10:13
Originally posted by Archeus
They aren't useless. The only useless one is distract mind as when you have the level to distract the monster you can take them other ways.

Provoke is great for warbie hunting when the other players are much lower level.

They actualy work now? I tested them when they first came out and neither turn aggression nor distract mind worked at all on mobs. So I put them in the closet and havnt touched them since, maybe I'll hafta dig them out and do some testing. As for dmg boost sanctum, it's just silly. The spell effect is very short on those around me, so it's not that good as a kamikaze attack. What possible reason would I want to dmg boost myself and those around me? As Mankind said, a Damage Boost Barrel would be infinitly more useful. You see a group of enemies and you drop the barrel on them. Some other useless spells are Catharsis and Holy Catharsis, both have casting costs way to high to be worthwhile. The speed is slow, but thats ok if it weren't for the stupid casting cost.

More fun ppu issues:

- We're the only class to not gain exp for doing our job. All the other classes gain for killing or for tradeskilling (tho not enough). PPU Monks get nothing for doing ppu things, we get a little bit for healing and that's it. So all our exp hasta come from team or from solo with a SoulCluster.

- For god knows what reason poison/fire stacks appear in the same place as buffs. So 6 poison stacks can easily obscure what buffs you currently have. More stacks can make it impossible to know when your buffs are going down. A ppu that's not aware of the current state of her buffs is a dead ppu.

- Buffs do not overlap or cancel each other out. Thus a TL 3 heal will prevent you from casting your Holy Heal.

- I tested a few weeks ago and found that SHELTER DAMAGE STILL DOESN'T MATTTER!!! I wasted an Ultima on my holy shelter, at 550% damage it does no better then my previous 450% shelter. I'll test this again soon incase they snuck in a hidden fix in the last patch, but I doubt it. It sure is nice to know that specializing in ppu only helps heal and shock, just two spells!

Archeus
10-08-03, 10:21
As for dmg boost sanctum, it's just silly. The spell effect is very short on those around me, so it's not that good as a kamikaze attack. What possible reason would I want to dmg boost myself and those around me?

Run into a group of enemies or monsters and cast DB Sanctum. If you have the support firepower it pisses off the others. Damage blocking doesn't help either.

It does make the PPU weaker but it weakens a large group quickly and easily.

Arcadius
10-08-03, 10:30
Carinth I used it as my hybrid, it doesn't damage boost the caster.

;)

Sythlie
10-08-03, 10:51
What pisses me off more than the price problem is the need for high slotted spells.Removing the construction quality cap on psi spells would make them less reliant upon slots, and lessen the expense of being a ppu at least somewhat. (Since you wouldn't have to make dozens of each spell to get a couple that are competetive, and they wouldn't be as hard to replace when dropped.)

Zu (Pluto)
10-08-03, 12:35
Yes. PPU spells should cost less unless something can be done to improve PPU's xp / money gain.

Original monk
10-08-03, 12:38
Now this is a good question, the answer is: YES make em CHEAPER, kk yust make em like 50% cheaper please :P

Foofur
10-08-03, 13:23

PPUs get the least amount of cash in hunting, and they get the most expensive stuff. Plus they have the chance of losing the most stuff. Yes I can honestly say a PPU is an expensive character and even a person with a couple million could get poor quick :p

Hmmm...
I can't remeber me ever beeing poor on my PPU. Hunting cash on a PPU is juz as good as any class, juz pick the right ppl to share xp with.
And as for loosing stuff, my monk has close to godmode with all sanctums and stuff, the only time I die, is in PvP, and well, I like to keep that to warzones :). But perhaps on a low lvl PPU it could be a bit harder.

I agree in all lvl 3 buffs tho, it would be nice if they were made blue printable, cause having all crap (including the dronebooster nobody ever needs casted) there are about 10 of them for 53k each and seeing they have "better" quality and random slots at yakarma, u never get them as you want.
Come to think of it, mebbe they should fix that dmg on buffs also counts :rolleyes:

(edit: @ Original.... plz read your PMs)

msdong
10-08-03, 13:31
hmm - PPU _can_ earn lots of money for basicly nothin.
every cave session gives around 100k and i have no cost for psi booster because i spend 20 points recycling.
all "custom" spells i need are player given. u need a buff ??? get me a spell. easy.
all i have to care about are the basics. heal, shields,antipoison (i really need that) resurect and those freakin SC (FIX THEM !!!!)

if u dont want that u still can tip ppl for rezzin' or fixed fee for cave runs.

ah but YES.
as a PPU i have no SPARE money. Drop prizes around 15%

Ste-X
10-08-03, 13:36
drop prices abit, but tbh a ppu should not die from any mob, and in pvp a ppu monk can easy run / outheal most kind of attacks

but it is stupid that we have to carry a large amount of spells that cost 50K+ that no other class has to do

Scikar
10-08-03, 13:55
Wrt doing missions for SL and killing npcs for symp, why don't you do it with someone else? Have a friend do most of the damage, as long as you do a little bit more than 1 hit you'll get the mission objective/symp change.

And note that the spells are only expensive because they are 'better' quality. If you buy your spells from OZ station where they are 'poor' then you pay no more than any other class (though this is not a good choice for lvl 3 buffs, but it's certainly worthwhile if you intend to get the spell constructed.

Archeus
10-08-03, 14:12
Yes PPU'ing is a very costly profession until you get a very high level, after that unless your in a fight with others it is not so bad.

I make more cash from Barter/Taxi runs then PPU'ing.

Carinth
10-08-03, 21:34
I Still dont see how Damage Boost Sanctum is very effective, like I said the dmg boost it casts on those surrounding you is pretty short lived. It would require you staying near your enemies while your team bombards them from far. How often does a situation like that occur? I've never ever had a time were I thought, damn I wish I could dmg boost everyone around me!

Scikar, when killing npc's for sympathy yes I can manage to do enough dmg so that when my teamate kills, I get a symp change. Typicaly that means I hit an employee 3 times with my holy para, then an apu kills it in a shot or two. Only an apu really would want to do this with me, since it would slow down the whole process drasticly. Instead of killing the employees quickly, you hafta wait for the ppu to shock them multiple times. Only an apu, which doesn't have much of a choice would be happy enough going slower. For missions though, noway. I tried doing launcher missions at MB, if I didn't do a large percentage of the dmg to a launcher withint a reasonable amount of time, then it didnt give me credit. I killed 3 launchers myself, but it took to long, so none of them counted. I then let others deal most of the dmg just gettin in 3 or so shocks and still no credit for me. I managed to finish 1 mission in the time the rest of my team had done 4 or so and were already positive sl again.

In regards to how expensive spells are, it's more then just the store price. You have to consider how many you will hafta get constructed to get a multi slotted spell. So yes, I bought most of my stuff at poor quality to save some intiial money. It's still expensive as hell to get 6 spells built 50 times each. Then when you die and drop one of those, you hafta get it built another 50 times. It's not even 50 sometimes, to get 5slotted spells you can build 100,200, even 300 of some spells before you get your 5slotter back.

Arcadius
10-08-03, 21:58
I Still dont see how Damage Boost Sanctum is very effective, like I said the dmg boost it casts on those surrounding you is pretty short lived. It would require you staying near your enemies while your team bombards them from far. How often does a situation like that occur? I've never ever had a time were I thought, damn I wish I could dmg boost everyone around me!

Damage boost sanctum is good against a ppu who is using holy cath sanctum.

Also recently in op wars depending if the situation allows it, I try to attack from far.

So maybe if you have your team a bit away from teh sanctum they can wipe out TEH enemy.

I mean damage boost is a POWERFUL spell, and instantly putting it on all your enemies every few seconds is powerful. Imagine spamming a ppu with holy paralysis while your damage boost sanctum is going, his holy cath will be working overtime. :D

KimmyG
10-08-03, 22:03
True in theory but A good PPU should rarely die and hence never need to recover a lost item.

Scikar
10-08-03, 22:07
Damage boost sanctum is a good spell if you're not the only ppu, and one of you can keep your team alive while the other goes out to damage boost and parashock the other team.

Arcadius
10-08-03, 22:09
Originally posted by KimmyG
True in theory but A good PPU should rarely die and hence never need to recover a lost item.

Nearly every ppu dies. Pete the PSI I consider an awesome PPU, and we managed to kill him yesterday.

Their are alot of good ppus who die more than "rarely". The only PPU that I know of that dies rarely is Polarity, but then again Polarity "rarely" fights me. ;)

:p

Carinth
10-08-03, 22:33
Originally posted by KimmyG

I guess that depends on your definitly of a good ppu. I consider myself good, I'm capable of doin lots of nifty overpowered tricks. I believe on pluto I'm known as one of the better ppu's. Yet I still die often enough. Even more so now that the number of apu's has increased. My Dimension Splitter is currently at 15/120 if that gives you any idea, my Psi Core is at 18/95. Under certain circumstances, a ppu is able to live forever. Those circumstances do not always happen... I need to have total control of my character and be aware of everything around me. Lag, synchs, crashes, can all kill me very easily. Catching me by suprise when I'm not ready can kill me very easily. Overwhelming me with too much going on can kill me very easily. Simple Player error, forgtting to rebuff soemthing, can kill me very easily. I know ppu's may seem immortal but we're not.

Did you know that a real fight can leave me exauhsted? A real fight being mostly even teams with a ppu on each side. It's not at all like when I was a hybrid, then you get pumped up about killing. As a ppu it's all strategic, you have to plan things and keep cool during the chaos of a fight. You feel kind of like it's you vs the other ppu with your team supporting you. Ressurect a friendly apu to mess the enemy ppu up, then buff up a Tank and send him after a hostile apu that's trying to debuff me. When it's over I slump back in my chair exauhsted, that was a fun fight!