PDA

View Full Version : How does one uninstall Internet Explorer formally?

ZoneVortex
10-08-03, 06:22
I can't find an "uninstall" program per se, and the only way I can think of getting rid of it is to just delete the internet explorer folder....?

Or is there a real way to make sure everything gets removed.

I've tried the "Add / remove prgrams" thingy and all it gives me is "repair" and some other thing that wouldn't help.

KimmyG
10-08-03, 06:23
Originally posted by ZoneVortex
I can't find an "uninstall" program per se, and the only way I can think of getting rid of it is to just delete the internet explorer folder....?

I've tried the "Add / remove prgrams" thingy and all it gives me is "repair" and some other thing that wouldn't help.

You cant Microsoft rules the world they will find you and fix you.

QuantumDelta
10-08-03, 06:26
Unfortunatly, he's right, you can't...

There are some tools around the web you can look for (use google) "Internet Explorer Uninstaller" somethin like that...

ZoneVortex
10-08-03, 06:28
Yeesh, hehe ok thanks I'll start searchin.

VictorKruger
10-08-03, 06:33
if you have windows xp and have service pack one installed you can (i think) uninstall internet explorer. you have to go to add/remove programs and then on the side click on windows components and then there is a option to uncheck internet explorer. the size of it is 54 MB so it might be the whole IE program.

but be careful i have heard reports that microsoft has implemented "features" that will degrade performance if you either attempt or successfully remove internet explorer from xp.

ZoneVortex
10-08-03, 06:35
Originally posted by VictorKruger
if you have windows xp and have service pack one installed you can (i think) uninstall internet explorer. you have to go to add/remove programs and then on the side click on windows components and then there is a option to uncheck internet explorer. the size of it is 54 MB so it might be the whole IE program.

but be careful i have heard reports that microsoft has implemented "features" that will degrade performance if you either attempt or successfully remove internet explorer from xp.

=O

Damn you Microsoft!!

*goes off and reformats computer*

Spoon
10-08-03, 06:58
If you just want to use a differant browser, under Internet Options(click Programs tab) there's a check box asking whether IE should check to see if it the default browser....
How you set another browser to default, I don't know....

ZoneVortex
10-08-03, 07:11
Nah it's not that I want to use a different browser more than plain and simple my internet explorer is completely bugged and screwed. I tried 'repairing' it but it did nothing:mad:

JiNxY
10-08-03, 07:12
hmmmm then maybe its not a IE problem?? pc's are weird things :)

Spoon
10-08-03, 07:18
ahhh, ok

In that case...

C:/format

that sux....

Lanigav
10-08-03, 07:22
I honestly don't think its possible, since the browser is intergrated with the explorer.exe file, which is basically the core file for Windows to run, amongst other proprietary files.

Just download a different brower if you don't care for IE.

Kasumi
10-08-03, 07:23
You cant uninstall Internet Explorer its intergrated into windows because like eveyrtime you open a window you useing IE :)

ZoneVortex
10-08-03, 07:34
Originally posted by Kasumi
You cant uninstall Internet Explorer its intergrated into windows because like eveyrtime you open a window you useing IE :)

Ahhhhhh I get it now. What a rip off o_O

kurai
10-08-03, 08:17
The "un-installer" MS stuck into XP SP1 to satisfy the Courts doesn't actually remove much at all.

All it really does is unset IE default filetypes, remove shortcut entries, shell extensions etc.

i.e. It hides it rather than removes it, to all intents and purposes.

{MD}GeistDamnit
10-08-03, 09:39
Originally posted by Kasumi

yeah what she said :D

If you have broadband,try to open your C: or whatever drive. then in the bar that says C: type a web address, it will go to the net. IE is also WE or whatever :D

kurai
10-08-03, 11:05
Originally posted by {MD}GeistDamnit
yeah what she said :D

If you have broadband,try to open your C: or whatever drive. then in the bar that says C: type a web address, it will go to the net. IE is also WE or whatever :D Not really. That's shell integration and file type default action at work.

Look at the process list - explorer.exe & iexplore.exe

There are however a huge number of shared dll's, many of which will kill Windows/Explorer stone cold dead if removed.
Explorer & Internet Explorer share a common rendering engine.

Deflator
10-08-03, 11:22
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/ <-- badonk!

i use phoenix/firebird/whatever they want to name it next for pretty much everything. getting IE fixed is still a priority though, there's too much shitty IE only code out there to forgo it entirely. someday though... someday w3c standards will be laws and breaking them will result in robots cutting your toes off with lasers.

if you want a completely roundabout way of fixing your comp try this:

1) format your drive
2) install FreeBSD or Gentoo
3) set up a desktop on der boxen
4) rock Wine and internet explorer if you want to use it still

MortuusLupus
10-08-03, 11:29
mmmm.....lasers....

Yeah, anyway, if IE is giving you issues that upgrades aren't fixing, it might be a sign that your Windows installation itself is on it's way towards Hoseville, population: your machine. I find that a good reformat and reinstall work wonders. Only takes about 45 minutes, too.

Anthonys
10-08-03, 11:39
Originally posted by ZoneVortex

If you remove internet explorer from your machine dependig on the operating system...

Win XP etc.. you destroy alot of functions in windows itself...

The only for sure way to remove IE is to unistall windows itself and Use Linx running a GUI client like "X-Windows" and then run netscrape as your browser...

I have found IE better in Win XP Pro than it was in any previous version, I used to be a very firm beliver in the Netscape Ideals... But now I use IE and could care less about any other programs that might hog precious space from my system...

Berzerker
10-08-03, 12:34
Once you start uninstaliin microsoft stuff, whatever the prog. There will be problems. I just uninstalled office 97 becouse I don't need it any more. Now I cannot make Outlook express my defualt email. It lets me click the button and apply but does nothing. All that means atm is I can't use my shortcut button on my k/b. but this does ilistrate the problems with uninstalling microsoft products. My 2 cents. don't fuck with it mate. It just give you hassles.