PDA

View Full Version : LE Spy Explioting fix idea.

tron123
09-08-03, 12:02
I have set this up as a poll, so maybe I can get some feed back. Apologies if this idea is not unique and some may disagree. Please comment and discuss.

I have finally started getting involved in some outpost nonsense and in the last few days I discovered something which many of you must have encountered and maybe do yourself. My faction, TT, were attacking jeriko when we realised that certain persons with the LE chip in were spying and reporting back to the enemy without us being able to get rid of the little shit.

Now this sort of thing is a joke cos it messes up any chance of being able to play out wars or be tactical etc, whilst someone is divulging all your secrets. It also negates the role of the droner, who could be sent in with spy drones to stake a place out.

SO.... I started thinking about this and came up with a simple solution to prevent this silly, ruinous behaviour. Why not make it that LE chips cease to function in zones with outposts. This could be explained by some sort of jamming nonense found on outposts or soemthing. This would make sense in that LE chips primarily exist for those who do not wish to engage in PVP..... Outposts are all about PVP so wearing your LE and getting involved in OP wars is contradictory. There are often few useful mobs around OP's anyway so it wouldnt necessarily have major impact on an LE users leveling opportunities.

So basically... an LE user enters an OP area... they can be bashed... the LE malfunctions....

OK so people can still log on and off with different characters in different factions, so it doesnt completely resolve the problem. Then again..... such persons can still be whacked whereas an LE user cant.

Comments on a postcard....

Its so clear now why DAOC implented the no 2 characters on different realms thang... shame same cant be done here in terms of city/anti-city!

Mumblyfish
09-08-03, 12:08
Why yes. I'm sure LE users would love to be ganked at places like CRP. WHY DIDN'T WE THINK OF THIS BEFORE?

Also, fix the poll so that it has an option saying "stupid idea".

IceStorm
09-08-03, 12:13
Outposts are all about PVP so wearing your LE and getting involved in OP wars is contradictory.
OPs give op bonuses to LE users if configured to give bonuses to non-clans. They are not "all about PVP".

There are often few useful mobs around OP's anyway so it wouldnt necessarily have major impact on an LE users leveling opportunities.
Northstar - excellent Warbot hunting
Gabanium - excellent Warbot hunting
Jeriko - great for lower level players to go ranged Hurler/Butchee/Cyclops hunting

OP locations don't have a major impact on leveling opportunities? I think not. You just struck down the three main leveling locations I have/am using to level my character. Nevermind the fact that there are still only four non-city GRs in the wastes and that two of them are next to NC. Not all of us drive.

tron123
09-08-03, 12:31
Ok fair enough it will limit a few places but there are many unused zones with all of these mobs in.

Question is do you shut off a few zones (well your not shutting em off... just putting in a risk factor during times of conflict), at the cost of leaving a loophole that pretty much messes up Neocrons main endgame.

kurai
09-08-03, 12:31
Voted "Don't care", as it's not a big issue, and doesn't really happen often enough to be a factor.

I've only seen two instances of LE'd runners obviously helping their faction in all the battles I've been in.

tron123
09-08-03, 12:37
well for my first major OP battle I witnessed it so maybe it was just a rare one off, but it killed the night

Jolt
09-08-03, 12:37
i really hate LE people in op battles as a droner, cant tell they have a LE in so i shoot them and wonder why im doing no dmg(dunno how to fix this, cause if they prevent a drone from targetting id think im bugged or something); plus they are free to go around looking for my body. ><

But like kurai said it doesnt seem to happen that often...

Mighty Max
09-08-03, 12:41
So basically... an LE user enters an OP area... they can be bashed... the LE malfunctions....

As a non PvPler i dont want to kill ppl, nor want i be killed. Therefore the LE.

And now you want to tell me i would have to avoid half of the map ? and not be able to travel anywhere outside NC, just because i dont want to be PKed ?

Find another way, or fight against your paranoia

tron123
09-08-03, 12:58
paranoid... dont worry im not losing sleep over this....

just trying to find away around this problem... if its not a major occurence then just say so.... on the other hand if many others have encountered this, then maybe a solution is needed...

aka discuss....

Kasumi
09-08-03, 13:09
I have to agree with Mighty Max i am an LE User and i dont want to be forced to not be able to hunt at Grant Mine/NorthStar/Gabanium/CRP etc....

ZoneVortex
09-08-03, 13:14
LEs are sexy.

tron123
09-08-03, 13:14
Ok - I do see the problem with this now.... though... and maybe this is being a bit radical but - considering LE users originally had penalities (ie higher stats on objects) removed - maybe this would be one of the cons of LE use? (*ducks*).

Any other ideas people? If you see this as an issue of course.

Mighty Max
09-08-03, 13:19
Sorry, but LEs have still a lot of penalties.

It begins with buffs and goes through the Epics and end at clans.

Yes, the direct penalty to reqs/money/XP got removed.

Surfer
09-08-03, 13:42
Ok i voted no mostly because its a stupid idea...

Sorry if i hurt your feelings in any way but it is, the LE is a way for the non pvp'ers to dont get killed by groups of capped players that hasnt got anything better to do =)

Yeah i have some chars that uses LE at the moment because they are leveling up and because they arent interrested in doing pvp.
And i got some chars that participate in OP wars and 2 nights ago i was in a TT vs everybody (it seems) fight at Jeriko (this is on Saturn btw).
While we were trying to take Jeriko from a FA clan it turned out that a CM tank with LE was spying for a TG clan that ended up as our opponent, all this feel familiar?
Anyway, i know the problem youre talking about and i think its lame of players to do this, FFS ITS A GAME!!!

One of my chars is FA and clanless and if i get caught by some TT guys they kill me, and if i join a clan and they end up fighting agains some TT clan i wont spy in any direction, again THATS LAME, i will fight as good as i can on both sides.
I think the main advantage with multi char server is the chance you get to play chars with different personality so i think this problem should resolve by itself when people (like the CM LE-using tank mentioned previously) grows up...

Peace
/Surfer
Saturn

tron123
09-08-03, 13:59
no feelings hurt.... i think we were in the same battle ;)

Archeus
09-08-03, 14:03
Better system is an LE turret that is placed.

When a person walks in range of it, a little timer counts down before the LE deactivates. This gives the LE person time to run.

As it can only be placed in warzones, LE users should loose nothing.

tron123
09-08-03, 14:24
Yeah I was thinking along those lines.... still make LE work in OP zones but if they get within a certain distance of the OP in question then *Pop* *Bang* *Fizzle* the LE starts to malfunction. This would stop close range spying ie standing in the midst of the OP whilst opposing factions/Clans are preparing there defences.

Helen Angilley
09-08-03, 14:28
Originally posted by Archeus
Better system is an LE turret that is placed.

When a person walks in range of it, a little timer counts down before the LE deactivates. This gives the LE person time to run.

As it can only be placed in warzones, LE users should loose nothing.

That's one thing which annoys me, Turrets can attack LE users but they can't do anything in return.

Mighty Max
09-08-03, 14:28
and prevent us from buying ammo, Mediopacks and co.

The problem is simple: Some ppl abusing the system => Use the abuse mail addy. To punish all others is a bad idea.

tron123
09-08-03, 14:35
surely its difficult to know if someones exploiting... they could just claim there buying medi packs, ammo etc ....

The above ideas wouldnt stop you buying from the OP... just make it more risky... in fact if it is owned by an opponent then it would make some sense if there was a risk ... be a bit like walking into someones home and stealing.... aka using the facilities of an enemies base.

{MD}GeistDamnit
09-08-03, 15:07
any clan that uses le characters to "spy" in an op war is a cowardly and weak at pvp clan to begin with, so if you dont beat em up you dont deserve to ;)

tron123
09-08-03, 15:25
maybe but the op war i was in was big against a big enemey who still felt they needed to use such lame tactics.... sounds like the defense of an LE exploiter to me... shift the responibility onto the victim....

Hwarang S.
09-08-03, 15:34
Originally posted by Jolt
i really hate LE people in op battles as a droner, cant tell they have a LE in so i shoot them and wonder why im doing no dmg(dunno how to fix this, cause if they prevent a drone from targetting id think im bugged or something); plus they are free to go around looking for my body. ><

But like kurai said it doesnt seem to happen that often...

Uhhmmm,..... they both show up green in the local window..... the drone and the runner... o_O :rolleyes:

Hwarang S.
09-08-03, 15:42
Originally posted by Mighty Max
Sorry, but LEs have still a lot of penalties.

It begins with buffs and goes through the Epics and end at clans.

Yes, the direct penalty to reqs/money/XP got removed.

Amen to that! I have a pure hunting tank, and use Chaos Caves to level. Do you have any idea how many medkits you go through without the benefit of a PPU?? 8| 8|

Still, I know, it's my choice to use LE on this character. :D

I do agree that an LE user should NOT spy or be used for OP's. o_O

Cad
09-08-03, 15:43
Just get rid of LE chips. If ppl dont wanna get ganked they should stay in MC5 :p

Helen Angilley
09-08-03, 15:50
Originally posted by Cad
Just get rid of LE chips. If ppl dont wanna get ganked they should stay in MC5 :p

LE chip was here from, pretty much, the start of Neocron's development.

Cad
09-08-03, 16:30
Originally posted by Helen Angilley
LE chip was here from, pretty much, the start of Neocron's development.

But if they kept everything from the start then the game would be full of bugs and exploits........D'oh!

Mighty Max
09-08-03, 16:35
LE is not a weapon, the LE is not a uber item, the LE is only a sign that i dont want to PvP.

Just report those pps.

Btw. If someone spies this way, let him, its one less who can fight. And you still have ways of deception.

Pitspawn
09-08-03, 16:59
Voted against the idea because you biased the poll. I encourage everyone to vote against what someone is trying to bias you to do just to spite them.

If your going to make a poll PLEASE make it UNBIASED, eg YES/NO/MAYBE.

tron123
09-08-03, 17:49
that yes/no suffices....

crikey dont be so anal

do you like the idea pitspawn ie do you think its a major problem?

Dont you like the idea... to many negative repurcussions... not an issue that youve noticed?

You dont give a damn about the idea whether it was implented or not?

I think your polls stupid so i will hit 4... the silly option....

bloody hell... unless its a poll made by one of you 1k + poster gang you just mock everyone else.

Monthar
09-08-03, 18:10
Sounds to me like you're just another PKer that's pissed because you can't gank those of us who want nothign to do with you PvP world.

leethasbro
09-08-03, 18:13
Originally posted by Hwarang S.
Uhhmmm,..... they both show up green in the local window..... the drone and the runner... o_O :rolleyes:

I'm not certain but I think he means as a non-LE droner, it is annoying to have LE users at the op, because from the drone's perspective he doesn't look any different and the player list is local to teh meat collection.

Monthar
09-08-03, 18:18
Originally posted by leethasbro
I'm not certain but I think he means as a non-LE droner, it is annoying to have LE users at the op, because from the drone's perspective he doesn't look any different and the player list is local to teh meat collection.

Plus in drone mode we only have the chat window so no local list to use for that purpose.

Pitspawn
09-08-03, 18:32
Originally posted by tron123
bloody hell... unless its a poll made by one of you 1k + poster gang you just mock everyone else.

I dont give a crap who makes the post but if you bias the poll then it has NO FUNCTIONALITY OK?

The point of a poll is to obtain statistics from what the poll was created about. By biasing a poll you are corrupting the statistics therefore making the poll useless.

Oh yes! Lets make Op wars fair n Square

/\ This is a slightly biased option. You are forcing an opinion of something being fair when it may not be.

No way!!! I wanna ruin the experience of OP wars.

/\ This is a VERY biased poll option. You are forcing guilt onto the people who do not agree with you.

And if you want my honest opinion on the poll im undecided on it. By making LE users killable in warzones you are forcing pvp into something that was created for those who dont want to pvp. OTOH the system can be exploited and people can spy with LE in. To spy however takes a one whole player which will mean the enemy have one less on their side than they normally do.

I just want neptune, no le, no safezones, no saturated economy with 4-5 slotted duped CS's still lying about. No people with 6 apts of rares from when rare hunting was easy. Basically a fresh hardcore server. Yes please =)

JiNxY
09-08-03, 18:43
hmmm yeh ive seen this happen only once, not enough to be a major problem at OP fights... but still HIGHLY annoying.

and lame IMO.

sorry if im dragging the thread off course, but i also hate LE runners at OP fights because im a droner. As Jolt pointed out, as a droner the person your shooting has no signs of having an LE in so u shoot a few valuable shots at them (which could have been used far more efficiently on some1 else, helping a clan mate stay alive for example)

Hwarang S. re-read jolts post i believe you mis-understood :)