PDA

View Full Version : The Neptune Server.

yanbybkipbbpbbp
09-08-03, 08:36
I was just wondering when will the Neptune server come around, I have even canceled my account sins I wish not to bother playing until Neptune arrives. I know that supposedly we are all waiting for these servers to fill in before creating a new one, but by doing so we are also loosing some neocron players, the vets. I was also wondering how many of you are waiting for Neptune and will play on that hardcore server, with no care bear areas, and hopefully hack able apartment doors?

Arcadius
09-08-03, 08:51
I don't think NC has enough people to warrant a new server. One of the servers should be MORPHed into Neptune.

Disturbed021
09-08-03, 09:26
Would have to Morph a server or 2 into neptune or create a new server and Morph Uranus and Saturn together...other wise there would be too many servers and not enough players to populate them. Pretty sad atm as it is.:(

Oh, btw what is soooo unrealistic about safezones? The safezones are safe cause of the Copbots. Granted I would play on Neptune and like the whole "you can die everywhere" thing, but having safezones has never been a big deal or unrealistic imo.
Tho, most times when standing in P1 looking for a tradeskiller I would love to kill all the f00kin silly-ass spammers :mad: grrrr they are annoying.

Breschau
09-08-03, 09:36
Originally posted by Disturbed021
Oh, btw what is soooo unrealistic about safezones?.

While I disagree with that bit being put in the poll (woulda been better with just the first two options.. the second two are like "hey, vote against me on this and you're stupid!") here's what's unrealistic:

The copbots don't beat you down if you illegally draw a weapon.. they just magically stop you even trying.

Copbots haven't displayed any other indication of psi powers, telekinesis, mind control, whatever, so it will naturally appear unrealistic that they have such incredible power with it in this one specific instance.

Edit: suppose I should actually give my opinion on the topic too :p I want Neptune. However, I don't really want to see an existing server morphed into it, whether it's done via wipe or simply keep existing chars. But on the other hand, I see the point about not enough players to justify a new server. So I dunno.

Disturbed021
09-08-03, 09:52
Originally posted by Breschau

The copbots don't beat you down if you illegally draw a weapon.. they just magically stop you even trying.

Copbots haven't displayed any other indication of psi powers, telekinesis, mind control, whatever, so it will naturally appear unrealistic that they have such incredible power with it in this one specific instance.

:lol: Well true, good point. But we are talking about a game here right?
Can u see them actually being realistic like in PP? n00bs would be dieing just coming out of their apts and capped players would run around killing everyone they could....emmm cause they can...not too hard to exploit the silly AI of the copbots. There would have to be tons of Copbots all over the place to make it even close to realistic....then you'd have ppl complaining cause they got beat down by a copbot for accidently hitting a 1 and pulled out there Stiletto instead of their imp tool.

I always just thought of the safezones as you cant draw weapons or you would get killed by copbots.....so instead of letting you draw your weapons, and cleaning your carcass off the streets, they just lock you down cause you wouldn't want to pull your weapon out if you could.....so really they knew that you hitting the weapon quickbelt slot was really just an accident cause you wouldn't really want to die....would you?:lol: :D ;)

Breschau
09-08-03, 10:03
Well, I'd agree that the AI for copbots needs to be souped up a bit before you could really get the illusion of 'safe' or 'secure' areas without the artificial safezones. And maybe they could turn some of those flying police car things into actual mobs, patrolling the skies to rain down fire on offenders within the current safezones.

But problems with it aside, I'd still like to see neptune - I just don't like artificial game mechanics. I recognise a lot are useful, or easier to do than code a proper 'virtual world', but I'd still prefer as many removed as possible.

edit: to get around the accidentally drawing a weapon problem - don't have any weapons in your quickbelt when in a safezone. A truely law-abiding citizen would not be geared up for combat in NC's city centre, surely? :p They'd need to make sure that leaving a sewer automatically puts your gun away though, for the newbies who'd forget to.

jernau
09-08-03, 10:50
**YAWN**

This again??

ffs - The search facility is there for a reason :rolleyes:

yanbybkipbbpbbp
09-08-03, 10:57
This poll was actually created to simply see how many people want a hardcore server that was original neocron, first beta. The options “I don’t want Neptune” and “something some thing care bear” was simply there for diversity, because if you don’t want Neptune, just don’t play on it. I think that we have enough people to start Neptune, and the faster the better, and it is this hardcore quality of neocron that would attract new people, it will in no way discourage currant users from playing neocron because, well, you don’t like Neptune don’t go there. Regarding noobs being killed, noobs shouldn’t be playing on Neptune, it’s for advanced players who wish to have more meaning to this game, think about it, you would actually be able to fight in neocron, attack copbots with your clans, and have wars between neocron and tech haven, the real way. Clan wars, the constant war atmosphere no matter where you are, indeed your not even safe in your own apartment, now that’s a real rush from a game, clans would become a MUST for survival, gathering the resources, putting up turrets, a lower weapon durability, a savage penalty for death making assassinations and assassins/snipers meaningful, spying for a strategic base attack will become a must to decrease deaths, all professions will become a must. Now I realize that this is not for everyone, but I am also sure that there are lots of us who wish to play it this way, the constant poverty, stealing, killing in the corners of towns, hiring bodyguards, for now they are meaningful with permanent exp loss death penalties. And those of you who are against this type of play, well, you just don’t play on Neptune; it’s as easy as that. I think that it is this server that we with which we can invite new players, the UT2003 players, the hardcore RPG players, the adventurers, the groupies, those who can play for only a few hours a weak or a day, those that play too many hours a day…..

Think of how many new things can be done on this type of server! Here is what I think it should be like:

Copbot summoning terminals implemented. (They were in the original design of the game, check the FAQ)> Now we have use for them, for you can be attacked in the city and might need help, or the city might be under siege from different clans and factions.

Synaptic impairment for teleportation increased, and for death, a permanent exp loss, the higher level you are the more you loss, and I mean you lose shit loads of exp. ( I know most of you will argue that you don’t want to lose exp, but think about it this way, now you killing someone actually means something other than him simply genrepping and going about his way, now his calling his clan to kick your ass, now there can be outlaws and “order troops,” the increased synaptic impairment for teleportation will make now make some more willing to gather into groups or have bodyguards when they must travel from one location to another, also the whole idea of people loosing exp will make bodyguards and assassins an important part of the game, also give that important feel to your char whether you’re a builder ( everyone will depend on your weapons ) or an assassin ( everyone wants you to hunt down that outlaw and bring them his dog tags).

Increased amount of pay from the outposts and a decreased durability of the weapons. (This will make the holding of outposts a very very important part of the games, and hence will lead to constant clan wars, not the penzy ones we currently have, but real fights for outposts for every credit will now count.)

Spying ( this will become very important, with permanent exp loss from dying, information will become invaluable, you will need those ninja spies listening on conversations, or drone scouts trying to scout from where the enemy will attack)

City siege ( with all zones becoming anarchy zones you can have different clans and factions trying to do damage to the city, trying to take over parts of it, (was also in the FAQ) trying to hold a certain area, and of course their opposing clans will try to kill them, and/or get them to leave)

What if we allow apartments to be hacked? ( obviously it’s a bit scary yes, but, perhaps if we allow only the most superb hackers have this ability, we can have indoor assassinations and many other things, I mean you still cant steal anything from the persons gogo or locker rooms, but assassinations will be possible, and you are only safe on the turf of your clan)

There are numerous other advantages we shall have from a hardcore server, more dependence on skills, higher level of RP, more meaning in taking down people and creating clans, the stock market will have more meaning, faction wars will mean something……

And the best thing is, all the care bears or those who wish not to play on that server, don’t have to, but I’m sure will still be able to gather at least 200 people on that server, and more will join, indeed you can use that server as one of your marketing advantages calling in all those hardcore RPers and FPSers.
Sorry for any misspellings I didn’t have the time to correct them.

jernau
09-08-03, 11:20
If you really want to see what people think the use the Search and you'll find dozens of other polls that ask the same question (some in a much less biased way ;)). I suspect many people don't even open these threads anymore let alone vote on them so your results wouldn't be worth anything even if the poll were well consructed.

Searching would also have shown you several posts from KK (inc. MJS) stating their position.

Facts are - Some people want it. KK want it. KK can't afford/justify it. It'll come when they can afford and justify it.

gostly
09-08-03, 11:51
what would be better is to unlock all safezones from all servers upon doy's release....but maybe that's just me...i dont think a new server should open up just for this purpose...

bounty
09-08-03, 11:56
that original "hardcore" neocron is a LONG gone vision and its because of you the players, not kk.

Shockwave
09-08-03, 18:59
Originally posted by Arcadius
I don't think NC has enough people to warrant a new server. One of the servers should be MORPHed into Neptune.

That's a bit of an extreme idea. The sheer amount of wailing and gnashing of teeth would be biblical in proportions (Especially if there was a character wipe, too).:eek:

Nice, unbiased Poll, BTW. :rolleyes:

Shock.

Arcadius
09-08-03, 21:50
Massive XP loss. lmao. Let's see how many people stay on the server. Let's see how many spies can ever hope to reach high levels. What's next, you die once and your char gets deleted?

Originally posted by Shockwave
That's a bit of an extreme idea. The sheer amount of wailing and gnashing of teeth would be biblical in proportions (Especially if there was a character wipe, too).:eek:

Depends. NO ONE has given me a clear answer on what neptune will be. If there are no safezones, I don't see what's so "OMG CRAZY" about that that it warrants a new server or a character wipe. I'm still waiting to here what KK's plan for neptune is other than no safezone. No safezone, big deal, what's so hardcore about that? I mean, I like the idea, but realize about 3% of the game is safezone already.

Scikar
09-08-03, 22:03
I want to see no safezones, stuff doesn't drop in belts, and no safeslots. Turn up the tech part drop rate so that losing a rare isn't a big deal, and that way people won't mind dropping them which means actual loot for killing people. Anything less and I'll just feel cheated.

FBI
09-08-03, 22:07
How cool would it be to be a TG Spy and snipe from the top of P1?

or invade and shoot all that oppose :P

Arcadius
09-08-03, 22:07
Originally posted by Scikar
I want to see no safezones, stuff doesn't drop in belts, and no safeslots. Turn up the tech part drop rate so that losing a rare isn't a big deal, and that way people won't mind dropping them which means actual loot for killing people. Anything less and I'll just feel cheated.

Make slotenhancers store bought, and i'm totally with ya.

cshank2
09-08-03, 22:36
Originally posted by FBI
How cool would it be to be a TG Spy and snipe from the top of P1?

or invade and shoot all that oppose :P

HEhe thatd rock. Itd make bounty hunting an actual worthwhile job. The person cant run to a safezone to escape you, they have to fight you off, run to a safer place or die! prefferably the latter.

yanbybkipbbpbbp
09-08-03, 22:46
I too wish to know how much are you willing to loose from your inventory when you die to make the game more interesting, all of it? And how much exp, 1 level worth? 2? 1000xp points, something that’s worth assassinating for? Remember, the bigger the loss from dying, the more interesting it gets, the more meaningful assassinations, spying, sniping, body guarding, clans, and faction wars become.
Did not mention, LE would not exist on that server.