PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Monk ?

Hell's Grannie
08-08-03, 19:36
I've been away from the game for some time for a number of RL reasons and just returned. Apparently there has been a 'skill release' of some sorts a while ago because all my PSI-points (PSI level 37 : 248 points) and PSU have been reset/released. Back then I was going hybrid but it seems that hybrid is a less viable option these days. Question : this morning I read somewhere in a thread (forgot which one) that you can go pure PPU AND level +/- decent if you go for a 'pistol-monk'. Was this a joke or a decent advice ? I'd like your opinion before I decide where to put my PSI-points.

Thanks in advance.

ZoneVortex
08-08-03, 19:41
Hehehe, it's more for kicks really. Do you know how LONG it takes to kill a Grim Chaser with a mendicant sub-machine gun? Maybe....an hour?

It was a serious idea, there are a few gun toting ppu monks around, but if you want to be hardcore PVP, don't use a gun, just put it all into agility.

However if you're just here to have fun (:D ) then by all means go for it.

DIS
08-08-03, 19:59
I tried PC, was cool for leveling dex fast, but saying that im ppu so pistoling a grim isnt too much trouble :) Personally i think RC is better, ive seen one ppu in particular using a 5 slot TAR and he can pretty much own a tank with it :)

FuzzyDuck
08-08-03, 20:03
off topic I know but DIS your sig made me laugh for hours upon end.

DIS
08-08-03, 20:04
rofl cheers mate :) made me laugh making it :lol:

Progenitor
08-08-03, 20:20
Not to mention that you can use a soul cluster, parashock and your pistol to damage an opponent.

Might as well use all of the options available to you.

If pistol ppu-monk is viable, is rifle ppu-monk then vialbe as well? Droner ppu-Monk?

-p

CRAIG DIGGERS
09-08-03, 10:30
Originally posted by ZoneVortex
Hehehe, it's more for kicks really. Do you know how LONG it takes to kill a Grim Chaser with a mendicant sub-machine gun? Maybe....an hour?
However if you're just here to have fun (:D ) then by all means go for it.

http://mypage.bluewin.ch/a-z/michaelgisiger/shot0044.bmp

FEAR MY MEDICANT
:p :p

Kendo Averly
09-08-03, 15:51
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/g.stanton/ehe.gif

But now I'm actually toting a TAR

^_^

leethasbro
09-08-03, 17:56
OHNOS!!@1 JAWAS WIHTH GUNSZ!?!!!!!!211

Riothamus
09-08-03, 21:06
been getting a little bored myself with PE, i love pistols, tanks bore me, APUS and spies are too fragile for me, so this is starting to look like a fun option to start testing. now if I cuold boost HCK and WPL, without gimping myself too badly i'd be a happy man.

XenivouS
09-08-03, 22:02
im an apu monk but way back in january when i didnt know what the hell i was doing i put points in pc and rc and it just looked funny when a monk pulls out a crappy rifle or pistol and takes em about 15 minutes to kill a rat.:eek:

jernau
10-08-03, 03:54
My PPU will use an S-337 at cap without drugs.

I can use it now drugged and it's not bad - I can kill most mobs (eventually ;)) and it can scare some people off when they can't hurt me but I can hurt them even a little.

I did spec a version to TAR on paper (well...excel buyou know what i mean) but the gimpage to PPU was too much IMO. Especially as I'd like to keep some hack and maybe some poke skill.

FYI - a drug-addled melee-monk is fun and a double-edged sword is the ideal fashion accesory for a monkey cloak :).

http://indifference.homeip.net/monkeyman.jpg

Benjie
10-08-03, 04:25
Monks do really well with a zerk 3 and an unlabled laser cannon, due to the high int level. Trust me you will not regret it!

kin
10-08-03, 05:17
nerf monks

hivemind
10-08-03, 09:41
In all seriousness, pistol PPU rocks. Rifle is too big a gimp on your Psi Use in Int, they take too much Weapon Lore, but pistols are perfect - with about 25 base Weapon Lore you will cap aiming on any pistol you can use. Like Jernau was saying, cap your DEX at 35 (use Implanting to do this) then put in a Dex Booster 2 Backbone (+3 DEX), and spec your DEX points to 75 Pistol Combat, 51 Agility and 21 Recycle (I might be missing a couple points somewhere, put 'em in Agility or Recycle, but I think that's right). You can also put in a Pistol Eye 1 or a Smart Cyber Eye 1 (preferred). This lets you use a s-337-f Submachinegun (the mid-level one). The mediocre agility is OK because you will be casting Spy Boost 3 on yourself, and you can cast Pistol Combat 3 on yourself as well.

With time, you can kill any mob in the game, and you can either kill or scare off a lot of players too.

KRIMINAL99
10-08-03, 17:01
with some drugs and imps you can get up to rapidfire smg too.

I wanted to have a drug abusing Grenade throwing ppu monk but they dont auto replace so itd be usesless.

If they still had Tigers blood around you have a Unlabled plasma cannon monk... THAT would be hilarious. Probably not much good tho...

I wouldnt use rifles cause of the extra int needed and the fact that you can't take advantage of their range and your ppu spells at the same time...

Lexxuk
10-08-03, 17:31
Its all in the quality of the pistol....

http://www.dgwebb.force9.co.uk/beggar.jpg

But i deleted that char now, so now its just a 5 slot beggar gun *sniffle*

Genty
10-08-03, 17:57
Originally posted by DIS
I tried PC, was cool for leveling dex fast, but saying that im ppu so pistoling a grim isnt too much trouble :) Personally i think RC is better, ive seen one ppu in particular using a 5 slot TAR and he can pretty much own a tank with it :)

I am the origional TAR weilding PPU Monk :p

hivemind
10-08-03, 19:16
The point is with pistol combat and sticking to the s-337-f you can do it with really no gimpage of a PPU. You lose a slot for Advanced Nerves or Strength Booster backbone, and you cast PC3 on yourself instead of Melee 3 (and you go back to Melee 3 if you're playing a support PPU role and not soloing).

You are a little slower than a pure caster PPU, and you've got 5 points less Psi Use than them. That's really it. In exchange you have the option to actually go out by yourself and kill things.

Beanie McChimp
10-08-03, 19:23
my monk can use laserblades with drugs
he can drone and he used to be able to use pistols

DIS
10-08-03, 22:45
ya genty is teh sex with his uber tar, even scares me with it :p I lommed out my rc now and put all dex points into agi, best choice ive made in ages :D