PDA

View Full Version : Using GR settings

StoneRayne
08-08-03, 04:40
My current opinion on the GR settings is that they're being misused, and in a way, abused. Let's take this game to the basics. This game is about leveling and PvP. Abusing the GR system is the way you kill both elements of this game. Today, there was someone saying "well, we left the OP open to everyone and look what happens.. we're gonna have to close them down now" (they got attacked)
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but isn't the point of the OP is to GET attacked, to provoke action on the server? It's not like those people were ABUSING the GR by GRing there and ninja hacking the OP. No, they came, stood, and fought. What's the problem with that? Come on man. So you own the OP, you feel good. You feel like a god and you close the GR. I mean, what the fk is the point? You don't let people attack you, and you don't let other runners level. Then you go and complain about lack of PvP.
This probably applies to all servers. Unless there's a big problem of people ninjaing the OP, the only times the GR should be closed is during fighting to prevent reinforcements, which is a viable tactic.
My 1 nc

BlackPrince
08-08-03, 04:48
Ok, let me spell this out for you.

1) the Clan that owns the OP, owns the GR. They are free to do with it as they please, irregardless of what you think. Believe it or not, most are not out to inconvenience you, we have better things to do.

2) No person who even claims a shred of RP can justify leaving a GR open to Enemy factions, nor even allowing them to level in your territory.

3) If you don't like the rules the owning clan has set, hack the OP yourself and fight to keep it, otherwise stop crying.

4) Just because fighting is fun, does not mean we want to make it easy for our Opponents. A lot can happen on the way to attack an OP, and very likely can mean teh difference between Victory or Defeat. Strategically, its a wise move.

5) Some OPs it is profitable to leave open, but only to a certain point. It is up to the individual owners to decide at what point profit outwieghs risk.

Sorry, you're recieving the butt end of my frustration from seeing a lot of these threads from clueless individuals who can't see beyond their own gaming experience.

Xian
08-08-03, 04:55
I think imposing restrictions on OPs should be limited to the clans the OP holder is at war with.

BlackPrince
08-08-03, 04:58
We do that, hence for THe Gang at least, no enemy factions have access to our Ops or their GRs.

Eddie
08-08-03, 05:04
The thing is .. closing a GR down only delays the time taken to get to the OP.. and then to hack it.

Think about it.. it prevents the attacking getting there so easily. But they still can. Just run from a nearby friendly GR. Simple. Problem sorted.

On the other hand.. the defending clan still don't get advance notice that their OP will be attacked.. I mean.. they still get the turret destroyed or level 1 down messages WHEN the attacking clan is all there.. and they're ready.

IMO it's (another) timesink..

The GR system is a new inventive way to get us to use VHCs - which would be great if they worked - and to get us to go elsewhere for a bit.. and more incentive to own OPs - but it does need thinking through.

Eddie

StoneRayne
08-08-03, 05:10
Originally posted by BlackPrince
Ok, let me spell this out for you.

1) the Clan that owns the OP, owns the GR. They are free to do with it as they please, irregardless of what you think. Believe it or not, most are not out to inconvenience you, we have better things to do.

2) No person who even claims a shred of RP can justify leaving a GR open to Enemy factions, nor even allowing them to level in your territory.

3) If you don't like the rules the owning clan has set, hack the OP yourself and fight to keep it, otherwise stop crying.

4) Just because fighting is fun, does not mean we want to make it easy for our Opponents. A lot can happen on the way to attack an OP, and very likely can mean teh difference between Victory or Defeat. Strategically, its a wise move.

5) Some OPs it is profitable to leave open, but only to a certain point. It is up to the individual owners to decide at what point profit outwieghs risk.

Sorry, you're recieving the butt end of my frustration from seeing a lot of these threads from clueless individuals who can't see beyond their own gaming experience.
1) Yeah, and then you b!tch about lack of PvP. and yeah, you can do as you please, unless you step back and realize that pvp has been dying steadily.
2) Yeah, RP RP RP. Everyone puts it on RP. Don't even fkin try to tell me that you've never rezzed or helped someone's alt from an enemy faction, or your member on alt. There are priorities, RP is fine, but when it fucks up the fun of the game, whether you RP or not, noone gives a shit.
3) Who the fuck is crying? I don't give a shit. If we hack an OP most of these clans will hack it back when I sleep. and I don't even level anymore for fuk's sake. But when people that want to level to have some fun in this game later on face this kinda bullshit it pisses them off.
4) Uh. Don't even fucking try to go there. EVERY SINGLE person would rather fight than sit for 20 mins and wait for their opponents to get there. Which probably will happen when their buffs are about to run out, and when lotsa people start getting pissed off.
5) Profits, risk, blah blah blah. You're failing to see to the core of my point. You're tying everything to the fact that it's an RP game. Yeah, it conflicts the game. In the same way that leveling is effected by RolePlay, there is a matter that is more basic and more important than Roleplaying. That's the fact that this is a GAME. You know, GAME? That's what you do to relax yourself and have FUN. When your idea of roleplay fucks up the GAME, noone gives a shit about roleplay.
To make it easier.
You->are part of->Your Clan->Which is part of->Faction->Roleplay->Game.
When something happens to your clan, YOU are affected. When something happens to the ROLEPLAY, your Faction, your clan and you are affected. When something happens to the game( or more proper term, gameplay), EVERYTHING is affected, including roleplay.
[ edited for violation of the forum rules - flaming ]

Think (or know)before you speak.

Xian
08-08-03, 05:13
We do that, hence for THe Gang at least, no enemy factions have access to our Ops or their GRs.

In my opinion lone runners should be left out of clan wars unless strictly necessary (i.e clanless runners from the opposing faction have been killing your clan), and just limited to clans you put on your war list. Then again thats just my opinion. :p

BlackPrince
08-08-03, 15:40
I've never bitched about lack of PvP. On Pluto we have 7-15 fights of various sizes every night, never a dull moment. That said, most Lone Runners I've seen have later on turned out to be scouts, spies, and raiders for Enemy clans.

If you are a Lone runner, than you have chosen a playstyle with some downsides, one of those being you are at the mercy of those who control Ops. What makes you think you deserve special treatment?

Also, with Neocron being what it is, a long run to attack an Op, or a short run, can be a huge undertaking. You try keeping a 20 man attack force alive, together, and organized while zoning several times. On average we lose 3-5 to Zoning Errors, FRE's, etc. Another 3 have to be rezzed when they zone and get killed by some bored Doom or Grim while Synching. So right now you've gone from 20 to 11-14, thats a huge reduction in Force. Mr Murphy, being always right, will make sure that the ones you do lose are your hackers and PPUs as well.

So yes, even short hops of a few zones can be disastrous for an OpFor.

You are really getting bent out of shape over this. Its not that hard to hop on a Hovertech and use it. I find it quite enjoyable.

So let me get this straight, its only RP if you like it, if it doesn't affect you, and then maybe it still isn't.

Tell ya what, we'll let you use our GRs, then we'll come hunt you down and kill you, that better? We could be really nasty and open up all our GRs, wait a little bit, close them down again, and then go hunt all the Enemies of TG hunting in TG territory. You seem to be getting overly emotional about something that is now a basic tenet of the game.

hershey
08-08-03, 22:15
Originally posted by StoneRayne
Born a noob... die a noob

Arcadius
08-08-03, 22:39
I don't see the point in closing off the op honestly. You can already gr to the UG without SI. That's the most important part IMO. You can literally moblize your team in 2 minutes and quickly gr to the UG to fight, i've done it before.

SO if they cross three zones to get to your op or go from your GR, either way there's NO difference on how the battle will be.

BlackPrince
08-08-03, 23:00
Boy howdy, lets all GR into the basement of the OP and either get slaughtered like sheep as we synch into the basement or on the outside :rolleyes:

Any more bright ideas there Clausewitz?

Arcadius
08-08-03, 23:02
Boy howdy, lets all GR into the basement of the OP and either get slaughtered like sheep as we synch into the basement or on the outside :rolleyes:

Put a stun and 2 gats by the UG entrance. That always buys enough time to go in and get prepped. I don't see a problem with it, you want the attackers to stay inside the op and the defenders to come attack the op? That just seems a bit silly.

Any more bright ideas there Clausewitz?

lol

Pitspawn
08-08-03, 23:22
Locking out genreps doesnt do much for the first wave of attack, but it sure as hell makes it hard for the later attacks. By making your enemy spend even longer regrouping after defeat you make it hard on them. Hopefully they will quit earlier than they normally would.

TBH i think this quote from BlackPrince says it all ...

All NDAs outposts are set for GR Friend (Allied Faction only) We have enemies in both neutral and hostile factions. You are all lucky that everyone are not strict roleplayers. Neocron would be a gankfest. It sickens me seeing CA/TT leveling with TG/FA. But well if thats what people want.

StoneRayne
09-08-03, 02:26
I've never bitched about lack of PvP. On Pluto we have 7-15 fights of various sizes every night, never a dull moment. That said, most Lone Runners I've seen have later on turned out to be scouts, spies, and raiders for Enemy clans.

If you are a Lone runner, than you have chosen a playstyle with some downsides, one of those being you are at the mercy of those who control Ops. What makes you think you deserve special treatment?

Also, with Neocron being what it is, a long run to attack an Op, or a short run, can be a huge undertaking. You try keeping a 20 man attack force alive, together, and organized while zoning several times. On average we lose 3-5 to Zoning Errors, FRE's, etc. Another 3 have to be rezzed when they zone and get killed by some bored Doom or Grim while Synching. So right now you've gone from 20 to 11-14, thats a huge reduction in Force. Mr Murphy, being always right, will make sure that the ones you do lose are your hackers and PPUs as well.

So yes, even short hops of a few zones can be disastrous for an OpFor.

You are really getting bent out of shape over this. Its not that hard to hop on a Hovertech and use it. I find it quite enjoyable.

So let me get this straight, its only RP if you like it, if it doesn't affect you, and then maybe it still isn't.

Tell ya what, we'll let you use our GRs, then we'll come hunt you down and kill you, that better? We could be really nasty and open up all our GRs, wait a little bit, close them down again, and then go hunt all the Enemies of TG hunting in TG territory. You seem to be getting overly emotional about something that is now a basic tenet of the game.
In that post, what have you come up with that says closing down GRs is a good thing?
1) That I'm not special.. well ok... But is that the reason, to show off your uber l33t 100 members? *cough*

2) so you close GRs that the attacking team takes longer to get to the OP, So they have a chance of losing runners to this buggy ass game? (is that a good thing?) And that the result of all of this is that you get bored out of your ass while waiting for them to get there, and then you meet a buncha people who are angry at this game's bugs, and instead of an epic battle you have some chaotic bs called fights?

3) So you can use vehicles, yeah that's cool. But in the end, it's a little like PPUing in PvM. At the beginning you like it, and look at it like good practice for your skills. After awhile it gets boring.
So after you drive for awhile, you'll end up looking at it as if it's just another waste of time.

4) yeah, in a way it's RP. But it's nothing that promotes anything good. It's same as two warring clans kill each other's newbs, yes, they do it sometimes, yes, it is RP, but in the end, if you look at it completely, it's gay. It's RP, but it's lame.

5) Well, if you open them, then at least people will be able to hunt. And I'm pretty sure, that you, just like me, would rather hunt and then get attacked rather than spending same money to GR somewhere else and waste your time driving there, or if you don't drive, running there.

And as I said, RP is fine as long as it doens't interfere with the overall effect of the game on you, the person.
And btw I said that it's good if GRs are closed during a fight, it has a reason. But just cuz of "rp" so others can't level on any good mobs.. Well.. As I said, it's RP, but it's lame.

BlackPrince
09-08-03, 22:27
Arc, Turrets in the UG are extremely easy to take out if you have a PPU and an APU, so easy in fact as to make it pointless to put them there as anything other than a warning they they are camping the UG.

Pfehh
09-08-03, 22:43
Stone, we may go on an OP freeing spree or two soon. Most of our core players are done with NC now, so we're free to do some things we've thought about doing but never proceeded with for fear of having too many people pissed at us. As that no longer matters, expect to see some fun times and really pissed off people on Uranus, on the nights we're not on other games.

I'll be sure to give you a shout when we're on, you might want in on some of the fun.

But I do have to say, it *does* suck trying to keep an OP open for the public, only to have goobers abuse their faction friendliness to blow up your turrets while you sleep and whatnot. But as I've always said, if you can't deal with it, don't bother trying to hold the OP.