PDA

View Full Version : keyboards crash neocron?

hinch
07-08-03, 10:42
has anyone else experienced this?

i have retail version in the uk now if i play on pluto or uranus i can use my arrow keys quite happily up and down etc.

but on jupiter or saturn if i use them nc instantly crashes to windows without even fre`ing it just dies.

I talked a friend into starting last night he downloaded it and installed it etc.

he has a uranus n00b tank :) i was talking to him last night teaching him how to lvl etc but what was odd was if he touches his arrow keys his nc quits to windows too.

His does it on uranus mine does it on jupiter. Any idea what is causing this? im guessing its to do with the special chars by different keyboards and nc not handling them correctly he is using a norwegian keyboard but as soon as he changed it to uk keymap it worked like almost all the time then yet im using a uk keyboard with uk keymap and its fucked

jernau
07-08-03, 10:53
Do you use TeamSpeak?

That has some "interesting" effects very like this.

hinch
07-08-03, 10:55
yes but this isnt anything to do with that as it happens even when not running

Odin
07-08-03, 10:55
Odd. Is it a cordless? I had a case like that last night where it worked while plugged but not cordless. Although it had worked previously for him.

hinch
07-08-03, 10:57
nope mines a ps2 wired one

his is a usb wired one

\\Fényx//
07-08-03, 10:59
Originally posted by hinch
nope mines a ps2 wired one

his is a usb wired one

Turn off num lock, will clear up the thing with the arrow key's. if its seemingly random tho then maybe new drivers or change your keyboard...

Odin
07-08-03, 11:00
Might be. I'll point the thread out to Codi if he ever ends up checking his mails :) He's busy busy busy these days.

hinch
07-08-03, 11:00
there are no drivers for 102 key ps2 keyboard tried with n00b lock off no difference its not completely random its just when we press the arrow keys

whats odd it is seems effected by which server we`re on.

ie uranus = fine, jupiter = fucked

jernau
07-08-03, 11:01
Originally posted by Odin
Might be. I'll point the thread out to Codi if he ever ends up checking his mails :) He's busy busy busy these days.

Busy on what?

Come on Odin, drop us a hint PLEEAASSEE :)

Surfer
07-08-03, 11:02
If you have numlock enabled Neocron will crash to desktop when you use the arrow keys...

This happens if you are running a Roger Wilco client and running Windows XP.

One of the weirdest bugs ive heard of, of course i use teamspeak now so they may have fixed it but...

/Surfer

/edit: This post will not help you i guess but its a interresting info on the topic.. =)

NeoWolfie
07-08-03, 11:02
ATI Card?.. If so try stopping the control panel from loading up with windows..

Also wasnt there a fix not long ago somethign to do with Neocron and USB keyboards?

hinch
07-08-03, 11:03
Originally posted by Odin

heh i got another one for you odin

nc now no longer fatals on me it crashes my entire machine (hard reboot needed) however in the last one somehow it lost all rpos settings

eg: gogu/cabs windows are 2 high
all skill inv and chat windows are closed when reopened stacked on top of each other
and the n00b help tip of the day messages are open even when i click dont show again it still shows them on relog.

its just not saving my rpos setting anymore its fine whilst im in game but as soon as i log off and log back on everything is reset again. and i have to spend 5 mins sorting things out again.

hinch
07-08-03, 11:05
Originally posted by Surfer
If you have numlock enabled Neocron will crash to desktop when you use the arrow keys...

This happens if you are running a Roger Wilco client and running Windows XP.

One of the weirdest bugs ive heard of, of course i use teamspeak now so they may have fixed it but...

/Surfer

win 2003 advanced server (dont ask ta) and no rw or team speak

@wolfie there was he has installed it for his usb keyboard
and no both of us use geforce fx`s

what you all appear to be missing is this though:

ITS DEPENDANT ON WHICH SERVER YOUR CONNECTED TO

:) thanks for listening :angel:

Odin
07-08-03, 11:05
I hate saying this.....but have you tried a complete reinstall. If it happens after that then there is something really up.

hinch
07-08-03, 11:06
im on the 9th reinstall since it happened any more suggestions?

jernau
07-08-03, 11:09

Move to Uranus? :D

Sorry dude - that's one really annoying bug you've found.

Odin
07-08-03, 11:09

9th? That's almost compulsive there :p

hinch
07-08-03, 11:11
every day ive even installed it on a completely new machine with nothing on and it still does it so im shit outta ideas.

btw the download version of nc = fucking hard work to get running just a thought perhaps that should be fixed for doy?

but still if you talk to codi and work out any solution to either the keyboard or the inability to save settings then let me know

NeoWolfie
07-08-03, 11:11
Try this..

Delete the custom.dat in your Neocron\Defs\"Server Here" directory..

As for the Crash requiring a hard-reboot.. I get that mainly when the game times out trying to sync.. it basically hangs its self..

Berzerker
07-08-03, 11:15
This problem has been since I started Beta. It was reported then. It is wierd though ,so I expect very dificult for devs to figure it out.

Odin it is totally random. I used to have to turn my numlock off. Then there was a patch and I was ok untill a few patches later. Then it started again with another patch. Right now it works fine unless I hit my page up/ down keys and it ctd's. Very odd. Could it possibly be how we set our custum config? Anyone have this problem with out reconfiguring controls?

hinch
07-08-03, 11:16
my controls are set as default i couldnt be botehred changing them

CoDi
07-08-03, 11:25
Can someone with that keyboard crash bug send me a callstack.log (after that crash)?

The mentioned bugfix (in patch #185, I think) was meant to prevent the game to crash, but did not fix the bug/cause itself - because I do not have a f**kin clue where to start to search. o_O

hinch
07-08-03, 11:26
as soon as i get home i`ll send you mine

Dardalion
07-08-03, 11:38
heh i got another one for you odin

nc now no longer fatals on me it crashes my entire machine (hard reboot needed) however in the last one somehow it lost all rpos settings

eg: gogu/cabs windows are 2 high
all skill inv and chat windows are closed when reopened stacked on top of each other
and the n00b help tip of the day messages are open even when i click dont show again it still shows them on relog.

its just not saving my rpos setting anymore its fine whilst im in game but as soon as i log off and log back on everything is reset again. and i have to spend 5 mins sorting things out again.

Im getting that too atm - Also getting a freeze at random times and have to hit reset and every now and then my PC just reboots itself (last night while fighting a chaser)

All this since the last batch of patches :(

Odin
07-08-03, 12:00
Feel free to send them via the email link in my profile. I'll sort em out and forward them to Codi.

hinch
07-08-03, 12:21
k ta odin and codi

P4mp3rk3
07-08-03, 12:21
I have the same problem, USB keyboard, winXP, geforce card, Teamspeak running
I press the arrow keys and I crash...I sent the callstack to you odin :)

\\Fényx//
07-08-03, 12:23
Originally posted by P4mp3rk3

press numlock and turn it off :) it wont crash the game as the arrow keys and the num pad are disabled, problem being that you will have to either rebind your weapons mod keys or turn num lock on before each time you wanna use it.

Odin
07-08-03, 12:27
Originally posted by P4mp3rk3

Don't want any teamspeak ones or other 3rd party involved ones.

MjukisDjur
07-08-03, 13:14
On my work computer I got the numlock problem + this one :

using right shift and up arrow very often result in FRE. So I must use caps lock. At home it works fine.
My computer at home used to work fine until I upgraded for a better motherboard. After that I cannot run the game with numlock (ok, unless I turn off numlock before starting windows because then it will fre bacause I dont have numlock on :))
Reinstalled computer 4 times now :(
callstack log you say... Im sending 2 different ones for you

Odin
08-08-03, 02:01
Get those into me soon. I'll be compiling and sending them off to Codi in the morning. Just cut & paste it into a PM or via the email link.

Sythlie
08-08-03, 02:06
I have the same problem, USB keyboard, winXP, geforce card, Teamspeak running I press the arrow keys and I crash...In Teamspeak, go to Settings->Options->Other. If the 'disable direct input' checkbox is not checked, do so. That should take care of any Teamspeak-Neocron-keyboard crash problems.

X452
08-08-03, 02:10
my winamp crashed neocron :)

only wen i listen to web radio though :S

jernau
08-08-03, 02:59
Originally posted by Sythlie
In Teamspeak, go to Settings->Options->Other. If the 'disable direct input' checkbox is not checked, do so. That should take care of any Teamspeak-Neocron-keyboard crash problems.

Won't that disable push-to-talk (which a lot of people use I believe)?

IronMonkey
08-08-03, 10:02
hinch try turning off your ati icon in the task bar thing

it crashes nc when using arrow keys.

btw havent read the thread only first post so fdunno if anyone told yah already

hinch
08-08-03, 10:52
appart from i dont use an ATI card i use an nvidia gfFX

MjukisDjur
08-08-03, 23:07
Thanks ironmonkey... it actually works for me :)
Killed the regkey so now I can just play away...

Clothing_Option
08-08-03, 23:23
there are no drivers for 102 key ps2 keyboard tried with n00b lock off no difference its not completely random its just when we press the arrow keys

whats odd it is seems effected by which server we`re on.

ie uranus = fine, jupiter = fucked

I have this exact same prob on pluto but it only began after I installed Teamspeak, I havent had a chance to play with TS settings yet,
if there are any that affect keys besides choosing which key to use to speak.
I can still use the W and S keys when hacking though