PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

MortuusLupus
06-08-03, 22:10
OMG THIS GAME ROXXORZ MY BOXXORZ!!!

Seriously, it's the most incredible game I've played in ages. I bought it Friday night, played from 7pm to 3am straight. Woke up at 9:30am, played until 6am straight. Woke up at noon, played till 6:30am straight. Woke up at 11am, played until 7pm when I finally beat it and got to see the light side ending.

It's...mmm...the only way I know how to describe it is "orgasmic," I just can't think of any better adjectives. There are a few bugs that pissed me off (the one that stands out most was when I was trying to kill 5 or so young Rancors by laying out a huge minefield and getting them to chase me through it. Some of the mines were not laid down properly, I guess, and the game would crash when they got halfway through :( ).

Anyway, I say this to you with more conviction than when I said something with less conviction: If you have an XBox, you NEED to get this game. It's as essential as Halo, and also Oxygen and Water and Food.

The last two in that list I disregarded, much to my girlfriend's dismay. "Boy, you have to EAT. You're too skinny!" "Yes dear, let me go kill these Dark Jedi first, kay?"

ANYWAY.

Go buy StarWars: Knights of the Old Republic. It's good.

Lethys
06-08-03, 22:16
What What WHAT!?!?

A Star Wars game that isn't shit? :eek:

enablerbr
06-08-03, 22:18
yeah i've been playing it. yes it is a good starwars game. then again it came from bioware.:D

MortuusLupus
06-08-03, 22:20
One thing I have noticed, though...it seems the new trend in StarWars games is not allowing you to jump...

enablerbr
06-08-03, 22:22
not sure about cause i haven't seen jedi academy yet. also that republic commandos looks cool.

Odin
06-08-03, 22:28
Originally posted by Lethys
What What WHAT!?!?

A Star Wars game that isn't shit? :eek:

Yup shocking isn't it? I played it and I swear I was doing 6-7 hour sessions before letting the xbox rest. Haven't been able to do that in a while with any games :).

Definately fun although if they do any type of sequel I would like to see the combat more involved and have the storyline change far more dramatically with more paths to choose from.

enablerbr
06-08-03, 22:30
i'm curious about if that bioware engine was used for SW:G. cause the graphics look similar.

Darth Slayer
06-08-03, 22:46
I HATE U ALL I'VE GOT TO WAIT TILL THE END OF SEPTEMBER FOR IT TO BE RELEASED IN BLIGHTY.........:(
' Cries '

MortuusLupus
06-08-03, 22:46
When I first started playing it I thought I was playing a futuristic sequel to Morrowind. The way the characters move was very similar. I really wish they'd have let you jump, though. And the worlds were kinda small. I wish there'd been more! Though I'm glad they didn't. If they made it a 70+ hour storyline I probably would have died from dehydration, malnourishment, and exhaustion.

Odin
06-08-03, 22:48
Originally posted by MortuusLupus
When I first started playing it I thought I was playing a futuristic sequel to Morrowind. The way the characters move was very similar. I really wish they'd have let you jump, though. And the worlds were kinda small. I wish there'd been more! Though I'm glad they didn't. If they made it a 70+ hour storyline I probably would have died from dehydration, malnourishment, and exhaustion.

That was the exact same comparison I used when I was talking to the GM's about this game. It does have the Morrowind feel but far better storyline. It took me about 31 hours to beat it. Probably try going through it again next week on the Sith side and see if that makes any difference to the game.

Xbox really needed this as the RPG's were pretty sparse. Now with this and Fable they might have a couple nice big hits on their hands.

Darth Slayer
06-08-03, 22:54
I love Bioware games a great fan of the Baldurs gate series.
Now however u can pick the evil path as well in KoTOR but is it like Baldurs Gate that if u go evil u recieve less xp ?
And I still Hate u pair ........Grrrrr

MortuusLupus
06-08-03, 22:55
Mmmm....fable....

KOTOR, when I finally got a character I wanted to use, took me about 25 hours, but that's mostly because I had gone through Taris about 4 times before. I think I skipped a few quests on That Second Planet You Go To (don't want to spoil anything).

I really want to play it as a persuader (one with high Charisma and persuade skills), but the lack of combat skills gets me killed really quickly, especially when going to that place after you get that one thing in Taris and those guys from That One Group attack you for no reason.

EDIT: No, I don't think you get less XP, but I've not played through it all and so can't compare final levels. If you follow the Dark Side, though, your Light Side Jedi powers cost more to use, while Dark Side powers cost less, and vice versa, which is good. Adds more realism. Don't want to see Light Jedis running around casting Harm and stuff.

Odin
06-08-03, 22:59
Just go melee and use a power attack. You'll kick butt with that. I was a scout/guardian in the one where I beat it. Used a couple of those jedi mind tricks and the high end stuns. Was fine that way. For feats use power attack, dual weapons and any defensive stuff you can get.

Darth Slayer
06-08-03, 23:00
Thanks MortuusLupus please don't spoil anything for me.
I'll wait till the end of September.....
Oh well keep playing Neocron then......:)

MortuusLupus
06-08-03, 23:01
Yeah, melee is all you need. Which is sad really. They needed a bit more rifle loving. Doesn't matter, though, by about the second half of the game (maybe last third, if you're stubborn) you use lightsabers all the time, so the other combat choices are kind of pointless :(

Melee combat sure is pretty to watch, though. Lots of animations.

Nexxy
06-08-03, 23:02
jxnc\vjlzvnxjvncxj;zlhvzxlb its not out here yet =(

Odin
06-08-03, 23:03
Yeah, melee is all you need. Which is sad really. They needed a bit more rifle loving. Doesn't matter, though, but about the second half of the game (maybe last third, if you're stubborn) you use lightsabers all the time, so the other combat choices are kind of pointless :(

Melee combat sure is pretty to watch, though. Lots of animations.

Yah I tried regoing through it using guns but it seemed pretty pointless when rifles/heavy weapons weren't doing jack.

MortuusLupus
06-08-03, 23:09
Guns just don't do enough damage and have the accuracy of a blind man throwing pumpkins at rabbits. Doing 2-9 damage every 3 seconds is just silly when you could be doing 10-30 (+1-12 vs Dark Side) with every hit.

Guns were useful in the beginning fighting Those Ugly Things With Poison, since you could kill em from far away, and were somewhat useful against soldiers and droids (until I got the Destroy Droid power I would always switch to my Ion Rifle and unleash huge volleys of rapid shots. Did more damage than my lightsaber)

At least they made lightsabers fun. Getting to chose the different crystals to change the properties, not to mention the COLOR of the beam...mmm, I heart my double bladed Green lightsaber, and my two blue Anti-Droid lightsabers, and my double bladed purple Anti-DarkSide lightsaber....mmm mmm good!

Selendor
06-08-03, 23:54
Thing about having to wait until autumn/fall in Europe is that is will be very close to the PC release at the same time. I had hoped that the PC one would be significantly different but one report I read suggests it will be a higher res / mouse controlled port.

thats not necessarily a bad thing though, judging from the reviews.

Judge
07-08-03, 00:00
I'm waiting for Jedi knight academy as I really liked the other Jedi Knight games. I might pick this one up for the PC if it comes out before then though.... I really like biowares games. :D

Baldur's Gate rocks. I want more isomentric Forgotten Realms games but they have said that they aren't going to do any more. :(

hinch
07-08-03, 00:01
it looks good but im too busy with halo*cough*2*cough* joys of work :)

Ryu
07-08-03, 00:06
I love this game .. I'm almost done with it and it has been a blast ..

Master Attack and master flury with dueling skills maxed owns. yeah yeah .. I don't duel wield but I own hardcore! Oh yeah .. force wave owns!

Plus running around with two other jedis= everything is mincemeat!

Forget My Name
07-08-03, 00:07
Anyway, I say this to you with more conviction than when I said something with less conviction: If you have an XBox, you NEED to get this game. It's as essential as Halo, and also Oxygen and Water and Food.

Dude, Halo is complete crap. The only reaosn why Halo is considered good is because all other Xbox games at release, adn now, are complete shit.

SeXy Happy
07-08-03, 00:14
I love this game but I screwed up my character on it. I took duel wield when I am extremely strong in the force. I have 21 for my willpower right now and I just barely have become a jedi. I am super strong in the dark side of the force and my electical attacks are awesome. But with me taking duel wield instead of using the defense available from specializing in dueling, I leave myself open a lot.

MortuusLupus
07-08-03, 00:41
Knights of the Old Republic is a fantastic weight loss tool! In just five days I've lost five pounds! Thank you, Star Wars, for surpressing my urges to eat!

EDIT: Seriously, I went from 160 to 155 :D

EDIT AGAIN: I compensated for dual weilding by getting the level 3 Flurry and raising my dex a bit. I can unleash three naughty attacks on my enemy and get him just about dead before he can hurt me. Being on the light side helps, though, since I can cure myself easily if injured.

SeXy Happy
07-08-03, 01:30
Yeah but being on the dark side I have taken out 3 Raiders in 2 hits of my lightnin gattack. And my force goes up REALLY quick because of my wisdom being at 21. I have compared her to Bastila and mine shoots up at least 3 to 4 times faster than hers. So all I have to do is wait like 10 seconds between fights and I can take on more. Plus I can use a lot of force powers without really draining my force.

ServeX
07-08-03, 01:49
definitely one of the best games ive ever played..and im still playing it so ^^

greendonkeyuk
07-08-03, 13:12
not wishing to be left behind here, is this game similar to jedi outcast or is it more rp?
i mean is it doom with lightsabres or more swg.....

i mean ive played most of the bioware games released in the last 6 yrs or so, right from baldurs gate original..... yeah my half-elf ranger rocked!

i just dont wanna think im missing out on other games as all ive played for the last 8 months is neocron.......

Ren
07-08-03, 13:26
hahah i knew odin would love this thread... he was just waiting in the shadows for somebody to post about the game.

Akasha
07-08-03, 14:25
Hehehehehe im so glad i didnt listen to ppl wen they said dont get a USA Xbox im so glad i did get it!! now i dont have to wait for british release dates ;) been playin star wars now and its awsome, but a few mistakes along the way and im headin for the dark side! omg me!! ot finished it yet so i got time to make it up!

CoDi
07-08-03, 14:43
Originally posted by Darth Slayer
I HATE U ALL I'VE GOT TO WAIT TILL THE END OF SEPTEMBER FOR IT TO BE RELEASED IN BLIGHTY.........:(
' Cries '

Amazon Germany says "end of August". Still a long time to wait. :(

Smugly
07-08-03, 15:45
Oh God....... I bet I have to wait for the sodding European Pal Console release....... I hate being at the damn mercy of console lovers, or the "economic feasability" of a bunch of twats in a boardroom somewhere.

(sigh), I'm depressed now. Again.

Nexxy
07-08-03, 15:46
something like 27 days till PAL xbox release.

Darth Slayer
07-08-03, 17:04
Originally posted by Akasha
Hehehehehe im so glad i didnt listen to ppl wen they said dont get a USA Xbox im so glad i did get it!! now i dont have to wait for british release dates ;) been playin star wars now and its awsome, but a few mistakes along the way and im headin for the dark side! omg me!! ot finished it yet so i got time to make it up!

'Slaps Akasha' :lol:
It' was posted on one of the bioware forums about KoTOR that it was being delayed until SWG was released because Lucasarts wanted to sell the SWG before a superior product would blow it outta the water.

Akasha
07-08-03, 18:13
hey scorp take that slap back grrr :mad: (no i dare not threaten any more violence coz nid is watchin me) :mad:
but but but ill ill ill **** u back harder!

im on about ages ago wen i couldnt wait for uk Xbox!! so i got a USA one *sticks out tongue*

Darth Slayer
07-08-03, 19:52
H'mmm Release date on Play.com is 29/9/03 and they're usually very good with these sorta things.
@ Akasha Now u know u like it babe.......:lol:

MortuusLupus
07-08-03, 22:26
heeheehee....plug in another controller into the 4th control port on the machine, then push the white or black button on that control. The white makes dialogue speed way up so they sound like chipmonks, black makes em speed way down. It's funny :p

Q`alooaith
08-08-03, 01:09
I can't say I'm looking forward to it.. looks kinda dull...

Morrowind was terible, the amount of overdraw, seamed more like a beta engine than a release...

There any netral powers, like pull and push.. or are they all light and dark?

Odin
08-08-03, 01:34
Originally posted by Q`alooaith
I can't say I'm looking forward to it.. looks kinda dull...

Morrowind was terible, the amount of overdraw, seamed more like a beta engine than a release...

There any netral powers, like pull and push.. or are they all light and dark?

Light dark and Universal powers. This is also far better then Morrowind. It just draws comparison due to the open endedness of questing.

Cyphor
08-08-03, 01:40
Looking forward to the release, think its sept in the uk although not 100%... Edit: (the game site says 12 sept)

Anyone got any ideas if swg is still in the pipeline for xbox? www.game.uk.com has it listed coming but no release date, I would try it on pc but i cant run it :D ...God bless the nc engine about the only decent game my pc runs well :)

ZoneVortex
08-08-03, 01:46
My friend just bought KOTOR and he's obsessed with it now. He's been trying to get me to buy it but it doesn't look like anything special =/

I'd actually rather try out SW:G first.

Q`alooaith
08-08-03, 02:09
Originally posted by Odin
Light dark and Universal powers. This is also far better then Morrowind. It just draws comparison due to the open endedness of questing.

good..

I hate morrowind somtimes, then others love it.. mainly when I'm writing a complex set of scripts for a quest, then realising I've not done any dialog for them, I hate writing dialogs, got all the storys in my head, but can get em nice..

I have the largest imcopleate mod anywhere added add's children as a new race, and scripts so you can change to a child and back to adult... it was for a mod I was working on, if you can guess what game it was trying to replicate in the engine..

but back to the matter at hand...

How well do the lightsaber styles work.. is two handed and two balded easy or just the same controls.. how's it for fighting more then one foe at a time.. is there a lock on system..

all that junk..

Odin
08-08-03, 02:49
Originally posted by Q`alooaith

How well do the lightsaber styles work.. is two handed and two balded easy or just the same controls.. how's it for fighting more then one foe at a time.. is there a lock on system..

all that junk..
[/color]

You control 3 characters at once but as you get more feats and jedi powers it gets easier to take out multiples. It's just a matter of matching people up and taking advantage of those pause spots. I find the best setup is using 2 lightsabers with maxxed out dual feat. There are double ended lightsabers but you can get more power out of 2 seperately.

Early on I think it's pretty hard to die. The last levels though things all of a sudden get tougher which came out of the blue.

And yes it is a lock on system. It's pretty turnbased but you can set how many pauses etc you come to.

PsiCorps
08-08-03, 09:13
the best starwars game was Starwars: Yoda's Story, an old windowmode 2d RPG with random maps, it was so uber in its day *searches for it on google*

MortuusLupus
08-08-03, 10:53
It's a sort of real-time turnbased combat, like Baldur's gate and all those other games they made. You've a set amount of attacks per turn, but the turns run right after another without pause (unless you choose the option to pause after every turn). You keep attacking the enemy you've targeted until you kill him, you die, or you switch targets using the R or L button. You can que up to five turn's worth of actions, like activating an energy shield, then next turn using a medpack, then next turn throwing a grenade, then firing off a power shot, then rapid-firing at your target.

You can use one handed fighting styles (single blaster or sword/lightsaber), one weapon in each hand fighting styles (two blasters or two swords/lightsabers), and two-handed single weapons fighting styles (rifles, heavy riflles, double bladed swords/lightsabers).

There are a bunch of different attacks you can do as well. There's your standard attack, a rapid attack which gives you one extra attack per turn but with to-hit and defense rating penalties (these become smaller as you increase your skill in that attack style), power attacks which give you a bonus to damage, but a to-hit penalty (stronger as you increase the level of attack), and a sort of "concentration" attack which makes you more likely to get a critical hit (the higher the skill, the more likely). Both ranged and melee combat styles have these versions of attacks. When you level you sometimes have the opportunity to gain a "Feat" which you put into one of these fighting styles, or into some other ability giving you bonuses to repair and computer use or extra hitpoints, or saving throw bonuses, stuff like that.

It's really a dice-based game sped way up with pretty graphics and a very good storyline. Three thumbs up. :)

IronMonkey
08-08-03, 11:19
Originally posted by Odin
Yup shocking isn't it? I played it and I swear I was doing 6-7 hour sessions before letting the xbox rest. Haven't been able to do that in a while with any games :).

Definately fun although if they do any type of sequel I would like to see the combat more involved and have the storyline change far more dramatically with more paths to choose from.

Word in the developer circle odin is they will be doing a sequel and it will contain multiplayer. You didn't hear that from me though.

=-)

btw don't listen to me...i don't know what i am talking about....really dont ;)

Thane
08-08-03, 13:51
only thing i have to say about this game:

i was waiting for it some time, then.... some days ago, thany realised it's a .

god damn single player game ....

so who the hell cares?

Darth Slayer
08-08-03, 15:38
New issue of Xbox magazine has a review of KoTOR and says September release but no date.....:(

Distaria
09-08-03, 03:24
Dude, there's nothing wrong with singleplayer, it wouldn't be as immersive as a multiplayer game.