PDA

View Full Version : Just realised something. (EVE. Again)

Helen Angilley
06-08-03, 18:18
After cruising the EVE forums, waiting for the patches to download (So I don't have a forum account yet. Gah), I've just realised a few things:

1.) People that want to "gain" something in PVP are playing Neocron.....when asked/told to go play EVE for the sort of thing they want, the answer is "EVE sucks".

If EVE sucks, with everything in PVP they want, then why are they playing Neocron in the first place?

2.) EVE and Neocron are not that different, development wise. They both have small playerbases (EVE only has several hundred more than Neocron....not really an advantage given the team size difference), both fairly poor launches and both lack advertising.

See something there?

3.) Any patch over 3MB sucks. Any game, any genre. Blah. :(

BlackPrince
06-08-03, 18:20
When I quit playing Eve they topped 6k users on primetime. Most I've ever seen during Neo retail was 3k at primetime.

ncadict
06-08-03, 18:56
eve sucks we told u its for carebears and mioning geeks boring boring boring anway see u later have fun being a mining geek

Mattimeo
06-08-03, 19:03
I was in the EVE beta, that game is IMO, worse than neocron, and I said this, many times, when i was still in my "Planetside and/or SWG will pwn neocron!" stage. God was I proved wrong...

but anyway, seriously, the game lacks in every inginable way, has a horrible UI setup and control scheme, why thousands of people abuse them selves with such a game is beyond me.

Xian
06-08-03, 19:04
Originally posted by ncadict
eve sucks we told u its for carebears and mioning geeks boring boring boring anway see u later have fun being a mining geek

Yes, your reasons for why it sucks are so clear and concise. Have fun taking the piss out of people who want something a little different.

Nexxy
06-08-03, 19:08
Neocrons good up to a point, but then you hit "the wall" (i made that up, im so uber). Theres nothing to do anymore, youve PKed everyone, had more OP fights you can remember etc etc and theres nothing to do anymore. Dont bitch at someone for wanting to try something different, even im gunna try out other games untill KK gives me something to do. And maybe helen is a carebear and geek?...i had a point somewhere here :wtf:

Lord Mansion
06-08-03, 19:13
I agree with Nexxy - The Supertank.

Btw: Eve seems to have around the 45,000 subscribers.

Judge
06-08-03, 19:42
Originally posted by ncadict

Hey, how about you think about other peoples opinions? You may not like EVE but did you ever stop to think that other people might find it enjoyable to be doing something constructive within a game? Does it really matter whether the game is for "carebears" or not? From what I've heard of the death system it doesn't sound very carebearish to me. If helen wants some info on Eve then either post something balanced or don't post at all. It just really pisses me off when people take the piss out of games that other people find enjoyable.

Helen Angilley
06-08-03, 20:03
How is EVE "carebear"? o_O

You die, you lose your ship, an arse load of skills and suffer some serious set-backs.....in addition to losing any cargo you had.

Janos Blake
06-08-03, 20:07
Originally posted by Helen Angilley
How is EVE "carebear"? o_O

You die, you lose your ship, an arse load of skills and suffer some serious set-backs.....in addition to losing any cargo you had.

Too many people confuse "carebear" with "not like CS"

jernau
06-08-03, 20:09
I tried it in Beta and didn't like it for all the same reasons as everyone else already listed.

The biggest issue for me was the flight interface. If I was actually flying the ship myself I might have liked it. Probably not as IMO the economy was flawed and the community offensive but those things can be fixed in time. The interface is there to stay though.

If you like the interface and the pace that it drags the game down to then you'll probably love it. It's a very very pretty game and certainly does have it's good points.

hivemind
06-08-03, 20:12
Have fun taking the piss out of people who want something a little different.
Want something a little different? Found something you like better than Neocron?

There's the door.

These Mining Sim (aka EVE) threads that Helen is making should be closed, they sound like leaving threads to me.

[ edited for violation of the forum rules - flaming ]

Disturbed021
06-08-03, 20:36
The character design process in the beginning is f00kin 1337!!
The different styles, angles, lighting, tatoos, color schemes, backgrounds, etc... I made like 8 different characters in Beta just cause it was soo damn kewl!! Any game should take ideas from them.

However, once in the game I found it to be a bit slow for my taste, lots of mining rocks. You couldn't really manually manuever your ship and the interface was quite cumbersome.

Many bugs (though it was beta) and the economy was a unique idea letting the players be in control of it, however, it again seemed quite cumbersome and difficult to get a handle on the advantages of an economy like that.

KnightWalker
06-08-03, 20:39
Originally posted by hivemind
Want something a little different? Found something you like better than Neocron?

There's the door.

These Mining Sim (aka EVE) threads that Helen is making should be closed, they sound like leaving threads to me.

[ edited for violation of the forum rules ]

Why does playing another game mean you need to leave NC? I play both EVE and NC, and IMHO they are very different games. EVE is more of a chillout game, and NC is quite the opposite. They are good for different moods.

KW

Tregard
06-08-03, 20:48

There's the door.

That was quite uncalled for, hivemind :mad:

Shakari
06-08-03, 21:04

There's the door.

yeah dude no call for that I have 3 NC accounts lol an AO account, I used to play eve and am considering playing SWG and keeping 2 NC accounts... I am not leaving NC but i do like a little variation in online gaming so unless u got something vaguely interesting or non flame bait do the usual STFU :P

bounty
06-08-03, 21:08
Originally posted by Tregard
That was quite uncalled for, hivemind :mad:

truth is sometimes difficult to accept.

hehe j/k

IN all honesty i thought eve was good, just bit too much of a snooze fest. Training in real time is slow and boring. Warp Gate camping is hopefully not what they had in mind for the highlight of pvp. Also i agree, mining is not too much fun.

THe good. EVE is huge, vast vast vast. So many places to go and vast pockets of exploration. You really do feel like you are out there alone sometimes. THe learning curve is much more difficult as far as skill points are concerned(and consistent) and just overall getting the hang of the game, which i feel is good in an mmorpg. Just like that capped monk in neocron, not only does he have all his skill points, but by that time he has earned the knowledge to know how to maximize them better.

Overall it's a great game, just a little slow for my preferences.

hivemind
06-08-03, 21:33
Sorry, just calling it like I see it. Sounds like an "I'm leaving" thread to me. And regardless of whether it is or not, the EVE forums are the place to yammer about EVE, not the Neocron forums.

Helen Angilley
06-08-03, 21:34
Again, just like Neocron the game's slow to start (Mining and selling is not that different from killing mobs and selling the loot....hell, the only difference is that Asteroids put up a better fight. :lol:).

Also like Neocron, back when I was a still a newbie, I'm getting glimpses of "later life"....huge Battleships rolling on by, people chasing each other while slamming plasma into each other's arses...

*Sigh*

I just want a bigger ship dammit. >.<

And it's very true that EVE is relaxing, the music has calmed me down a fair bit and it's pretty to watch my ship zipping about, zapping rocks with it's itty bity lasers. ^^;;

That said, I can't see myself playing it without going back to Neocron and other games after a while, once the initial "wow" factor has worn off I'll be playing it in shorter, but more controlled, bursts.

Just like Neocron. :p

Judge
06-08-03, 21:50
hmmm.... I'm starting to get interested in EVE now.

Is it out in England/EU yet and how much does it cost Helen?

Nexxy
06-08-03, 22:04
Yeah im thinking about picking it up too, to give me something to do while i wait for KK to give me something to do...Game sell it for £24 i think.

enablerbr
06-08-03, 22:20
or you could wait for dragon empires beta to start.

Darkborg
06-08-03, 22:30
Minor comment i found that at least while alone or in smaller teams with smaller ships u get a lot more out of hunting than mining.

not untill u get to a point where u need minerals to manufacture stuff u have a BP off do you actually want to get into mining.

me and a a few freinds tried it outmade our own corp (about 16 members) got our cruisers and so on. then it just grinded to a Halt for me bigtime. u really want a big corp BUT be very prepared for the game to grind to a halt at a point. after u get a better cruiser i felt like i wasnt getting anywhere just the sameold sameold hunting and mining hunting and mining.
i just think it got rather boring.

Hope u enjoy it though it can be quite fun if u find a lot of freinds to mine with( i still think hunting gives u a better revenue ).

Shakari
06-08-03, 23:38
Originally posted by Judge
hmmm.... I'm starting to get interested in EVE now.

Is it out in England/EU yet and how much does it cost Helen?

been out in the uk for like a 2 months :)

Judge
06-08-03, 23:51
lol I didn't realise.... I stopped getting games magazies and looking at websites after they gave SW:G better reviews that neocron :p

I'm also waiting for Dragon Empires BETA. I'm not sure how DE will turn out atm, it might be good but tbh it doesn't look revolutionary to me =/

Helen Angilley
07-08-03, 02:11
Well it would appear Kobra007 still plays Neocron, after all....he's on the forums:

Whats the matter, suddenly fallin out of grace with Neocron?? You chide me for posting about other games on this forum, yet you endless now spam it with EVE trash...

As I suspected, ur a dork.

BTW, you DO NOT have a 2.4Ghz Athlon, you probably have a 2400XP Athlon, with is really running at less than 1600mhz. Only intels have true ratings.

Eve sucks, you'll find out in a few weeks as to why it sucks..

Enjoy, and pls stop posting Eve crap on Neocron forums.

Eh.

KnightWalker
07-08-03, 21:45
The description of this forum (Community Talk (Enlgish)) is:
Discuss about Neocron, other MMORPGs, movies, community issues and other off topic stuff.
So its fine to talk about EVE here if we want. As long as its a constructive conversation and not just flaming it/flaming NC.

K.W.

Sorry, just calling it like I see it. Sounds like an "I'm leaving" thread to me. And regardless of whether it is or not, the EVE forums are the place to yammer about EVE, not the Neocron forums.

Cryotchekk
07-08-03, 22:14
TRIBES PWNS ALL

leethasbro
07-08-03, 22:36
Eve is cool in all the ways Earth and Beyond wanted to be.

PsiCorps
07-08-03, 22:49
it pisses me off how people preach about other games, i know its alowed and all, but i come onto the forums and every other threat is leaving/spambait or preachings of Eve, SWG or Planetside, i was at point that every Planetside thread started, id walk into the aggie sewer and pk a newb, (wooo nice sl).

KnightWalker
08-08-03, 13:48
Originally posted by PsiCorps
it pisses me off how people preach about other games, i know its alowed and all, but i come onto the forums and every other threat is leaving/spambait or preachings of Eve, SWG or Planetside, i was at point that every Planetside thread started, id walk into the aggie sewer and pk a newb, (wooo nice sl).

Dont read posts like that then