PDA

View Full Version : Gah, Linux bites

Lexxuk
06-08-03, 16:56
Rawr, finally got meh ISO's for Mandrake 9.1, and, what dya know, its fsucked, so, bein the industrious person I am..

su
Password (as if I'd tell u lot)

cd mnt
mkdir mandrake1
mount -o -loop /mnt/cdrom/etc.../mandrake.iso.1

n then into X to copy over, notin the corrupt flies

Ftp off to sunsite, nooo problem, download the borked RPM's, then the nice base dir, 100meg on a V90, few hours, no sweat.

mdkinst... oh my good lord, several trillion billion gazillion quadrillion gogplexillion pillion rider, always wear a helmet, fasten ur seatbelt, 1byte files, arghhh, ftp client, connect, find file, download file, connect, find file, download fil... it takes longer to download all the stupid little files than it does to download the entire ISO, blergh.

So ya, Linux bites :mad: (cheatin now, telnet into my CGI shell account on my ISP, wget -r -l3 ftp://..... heh, let me ISP take teh strain, wonder if I can do that for NC patches rawr :D)

Now knowin my luck, I wont be able to zip em up on teh cgi, grrrr, Linux bites, so nerrr (ps, anyone who got teh mdkinst dir zipped up, all nice n tight anywhere, LEMME KNOW!!!111oneoneone :p oh, from Mandrake 9.1)

Archeus
06-08-03, 17:03
Pika?

RH9, Installed first time from ISO's and everything detected and worked. :p

Spank your inner penguin

hinch
06-08-03, 17:05
you fking n00b :)

you could have just stuck the files you wanted in a text file and stuck wget into a loop till it got them all then gone and made your self a sarnie and watched some tv.

btw mandrake blows and i hope the rpm`s your leeching are proper mandrake rpm`s and not generic ones else your linkage will be screwed too ofc the sane person would just have used gentoo and a nice apt-get

Lexxuk
06-08-03, 17:06
I got it all, 101 files apparently (didnt take that long for my ISP hehe, damn they gonna kick my ass) now I cant get the thing to zip up

I got gzip and zip, i try...

gzip -9 -r mdkinst

nothing :(

zip -9 -r -b mdkinst

Cant write to terminal growl :(

/edit - ahhh, balls, etc and lib are missing, i r teh killin teh summit, growl, and more growls

hinch
06-08-03, 17:07
put all files into a directory

so
mkdir stuff
mv * $home/stuff/
tar -c stuff.tar $home/stuff
gzip -9 stuff.tar

should leave you with a stuff.tar.gz

to uncompress at other end
tar -zxvf stuff.tar.gz

Lexxuk
06-08-03, 17:20
buggery, umm, its all in a directory, naturally, mdkinst.

tar -c stuff.tar mdkinst

my entire telnet is fulla lots of junk O_o 5 mins till isp kills me? hehe, come back pkzip, all is forgiven ^^

hinch
06-08-03, 17:27
tar -cf stuff.tar mdkinst

i forgot the f

:) the shit on your teminal is the contents of the binary data
close term relog and fix it

btw your isp is f9/plusnet your using criticalmass and it sonly like a 233mmx quite honnestly SHITE. its also insecure and allows you to read/write to any other users home directorys :)

they also dont monitor bandwidth unless you go over 1.2tb a day (i mirrored cs1.5 off their webspace they bitched and tried to bill me £3500) i told them to go kiss my ass and theyve forgotten all about it now :)

Lexxuk
06-08-03, 17:31
ouch, hmm, ya, f9, teh cgi bin (50 meg, pfft heh) anyway..

zip -r mdkinst mdkinst worked fine :p

Lord Cypher
06-08-03, 17:37
Telnet sucks, too insecure. o_O

Use SSH, just make sure OpenSSH is installed and running on the box, and get a good SSH client here http://www.vandyke.com

Might I suggest not running Mandrake? Run RedHat 9. I've never had a problem with it, but I've had a lot of problems off Mandrake.

hinch
06-08-03, 17:38
cm only accepts telnet not ssh its running like slackware 6 its an old ass machine

Lexxuk
06-08-03, 17:52
I been usin mandrake for a coupla years, on and off, never had a problem wiv it, only prob now is the ISO bein screwed, soon as I grab the zip file, unzip it, copy it over to meh laptop (via Samba), i can go from 8.1 to 9.1, n get it all set up to host my ADSL modem n stuff, 24/7 connection, i wanna 24/7 firewall etc.. :p

hinch
06-08-03, 17:54
Originally posted by Lexxuk
I been usin mandrake for a coupla years, on and off, never had a problem wiv it, only prob now is the ISO bein screwed, soon as I grab the zip file, unzip it, copy it over to meh laptop (via Samba), i can go from 8.1 to 9.1, n get it all set up to host my ADSL modem n stuff, 24/7 connection, i wanna 24/7 firewall etc.. :p

if thats all you want it for then theres far better distros that run off a floppy to do that with

Dream
06-08-03, 17:58

IPTables > All ;)

Lord Cypher
06-08-03, 18:02
If you want a 24/7 Firewall, go to Newegg.com and get a hardware firewall like I have, and wish anyone wanting to get in good luck.

My router with built in firewall http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps4866/products_data_sheet09186a008010e5c4.html Its a good router with the Builtin firewall, also have it setup running a VPN connection as well.

Also as for the webhosting, storage, etc... I still recommend RedHat.

Lexxuk
06-08-03, 18:03
Nah, got a few things planned for it.

FTP Server
Web Server (to test my web stuff) wiv MySQL
Firewall
Storage for downloading... well... crap really heh
Mail Server (no more F9 SMTP)

Will also be setting it up so I can send/recieve emails thru my mobile, via my Laptop/GPRS

Well, quite a lot of stuff really, a distro from a floppy, well, that would just be a waste of teh ole Laptop, though if I find I am only usin it as a firewall, i'll find an ole 486 or something. But wiv meh new business startin up beginning of next month, i "really" want to be able to incorporate my Laptop and my Mobile into 1, usin it for storage of information, databases, spreadsheets, dreaded 33% tax, VAT...... Then no matter where I am, i can just log onto the laptop, find info, use meh mobile for info, really 21st century solution (ohh, wonder if I can sell that :D) just in case (c) me 2003 :p

trigger hurt
06-08-03, 18:29
debian my good man

apt-get, etc...the lazy man's way to upgrade.

Lexxuk
06-08-03, 18:34
hmm. only debian based distro i've ever used, was Corel Linux, which was... nice? umm ya, nice :p

As for RedHat, I've never liked that one tbh. Tried SuSE, RH, Corel, but Mandrake tickles meh fancy (coz everything I have on my laptop, I know works with Drake & RH got them MP3 issues too, silly people)

Lord Cypher
06-08-03, 19:19
hmm. only debian based distro i've ever used, was Corel Linux, which was... nice? umm ya, nice :p

As for RedHat, I've never liked that one tbh. Tried SuSE, RH, Corel, but Mandrake tickles meh fancy (coz everything I have on my laptop, I know works with Drake & RH got them MP3 issues too, silly people)

Thats why you recompile XMMS with MP3 support :rolleyes:

Lexxuk
06-08-03, 19:52
Why bother? I can just choose another OS with MP3 support built in, heck, even Windows manages MP3 support :rolleyes:

Kazuko
07-08-03, 04:37
Originally posted by trigger hurt
debian my good man

apt-get, etc...the lazy man's way to upgrade.

gentoo's emerge makes my knees weak :p Gentoo is great for hard core users and noobs a like. Even though the install/compile processes can take a long, long time... the learning experience is invaluable.

I don't understand why people use Redhat as a desktop system (mandrake is redhat). It is however great as a server OS for those who don't have time to screw with all the options that linux gives you, but want the stability.

Malek
07-08-03, 06:51
Originally posted by Kazuko
gentoo's emerge makes my knees weak :p Gentoo is great for hard core users and noobs a like. Even though the install/compile processes can take a long, long time... the learning experience is invaluable.

I don't understand why people use Redhat as a desktop system (mandrake is redhat). It is however great as a server OS for those who don't have time to screw with all the options that linux gives you, but want the stability.

Seconded, just obtained the ISOs for the latest Gentoo install, hope to have it in soon and running Neocron eventually... (not hoping to launch into the WineX convo. but still.)