PDA

View Full Version : Ubar HLT drainage from fire stacks

phunqe
06-08-03, 12:30
Hi all,

This has happened to me at various occasions, mostly when PPU:ing for people who are fighting grims, chasers etc.

Basically what happens is the following:

1) I am fully sheltered.
2) I get 10 firestacks on me and see my HLT dropping steadily.
3) I cast a heal to suppress the stacks and it works, my HLT is full and as soon as the stacks takes HLT away I regain it thanks to the heal.
4) The heal is still on, so I look away from my HLT bar to check on others.
5) 1 or 2 seconds later I look at the HLT bar again and wham, I'm down to like 30-50 HLT, WITH the heal still on. I still have 10 stacks on me, no more. Shields are still operative. This mostly means I'm dead, since one "HLT takeaway" more from the stacks and I'm gone.

I have tried to get this behaviour when I want to, for testing, but that doesn't work of course.
I can run into a grim with some maulers, get like 10 stacks and basically outheal it every time. But sometimes (of course when I don't need it) the stacks take away like 80-90% of my HLT in one blow.

This happened to me at an op war last night, and it's somewhat confusing :)

Any ideas?

phunqe
06-08-03, 12:45
On further consideration though...
The fire stacks deliver burst damage right? I.e one stack might take away 10-10-10-10 HLT in bursts while it's on.
If you have like 10 on you and these bursts aren't "synched" you have the ability to outheal every burst as it come.
However, if you are unlucky all stacks are "synched" and will take their damage all at the same time.

Does this sound correct?

MjukisDjur
06-08-03, 12:48
only me that thinks that 10 firestacks should kill most people? :)

Shockwave
06-08-03, 13:00
This happened to me with poison stacks in the sewers on Saturn a couple of days ago. The way I figure it, it's down to lag. What I reckon: The local client, when it stops receiving info from the server in a lag spike, carries on with the last batch of damage/healing info it had (This is what you see on the screen). Since all damage/death is now serverside, when you sync back with the server it can cause radical changes to what you thought your health situation was (Basically your client didn't get the update on the extra 9 stacks you got while lagging, that sort of thing), quite possibly leaving you up a certain muddy brown river without a rowing implement.

Shock.

phunqe
06-08-03, 13:03
Originally posted by MjukisDjur
only me that thinks that 10 firestacks should kill most people? :)

Well ok hehe, 10 stacks from only grims might hurt a bit :p ... I do however manage to outheal a lot of stacks. But sometimes they just say wham bam and thank you phunqe :p

phunqe
06-08-03, 13:04
Originally posted by Shockwave
This happened to me with poison stacks in the sewers on Saturn a couple of days ago. The way I figure it, it's down to lag. What I reckon: The local client, when it stops receiving info from the server in a lag spike, carries on with the last batch of damage/healing info it had (This is what you see on the screen). Since all damage/death is now serverside, when you sync back with the server it can cause radical changes to what you thought your health situation was (Basically your client didn't get the update on the extra 9 stacks you got while lagging, that sort of thing), quite possibly leaving you up a certain muddy brown river without a rowing implement.

Shock.

Yeah, that might be it.

Cyphor
06-08-03, 17:13
you said this is at an op war...do you mean this is 10 fire apoc or firestorm stacks then? A grims shouldnt hurt even with 10 stacks, if you have heat on you and decent dmg on your shelter, you can out heal anything a grim throws at you and you should be able to out heal a player but 10 stacks would prob still hurt although does sound more like lag or something...

phunqe
06-08-03, 17:29
Originally posted by Cyphor
you said this is at an op war...do you mean this is 10 fire apoc or firestorm stacks then? A grims shouldnt hurt even with 10 stacks, if you have heat on you and decent dmg on your shelter, you can out heal anything a grim throws at you and you should be able to out heal a player but 10 stacks would prob still hurt although does sound more like lag or something...

I do cap heal and shelter and I did have fire3 on me atm, giving me.. hmm.. like 90 in fire resist + 50-60 or something from the armour.

Not sure about the fire spell used at the war, but I think it was apoc at the time (at some point I was spammed with firestorm and no problem there). I have tested both however, and it seems the massive HLT loss is due to some lag. Strange though, since the heal + shelter should still be on (even on the server side)

EDIT: I had some probs with seeing which stacks was what, but I had only fire on me atm and that was what killed me.

EDIT 2: Or maybe it was firestorm induced stacks... However... Never mind, I'll just have to live with it for now :)
Gonna do some better tests as well.