PDA

View Full Version : Stealth Activator (Martin please read)

yanbybkipbbpbbp
06-08-03, 05:30
The stealthier device needs much work, the effects it produces when activated are ludicrous. It must be changed so that the wearer becomes somewhat transparent rather than having all that stuff of different colors around him, which just makes it look somewhat gay and un-futuristic. Perhaps the effect should be as was in the Predator movie, and that the water would have the same effect on it, that effect can be also seen in the game predator vs. aliens 2. Regarding the length it runs, it is much to short, the stealth activators are used by spies while they are performing hacks (which are 30 seconds) runs and snipes, so it should at least run for 1 min at the lowest levels, perhaps 2 mins at level 2 and 4 mins at level 3, and the rare would give a concealment for 6 minutes so that the spy or any other type of stealth user would disappear into the darkness, actually if the stealth activator would work like the one in predator, and having the same visual effects, it would work very nicely at night, giving the all gothic and futuristic appearance that this game strives for. In conclusion, as of now the stealth activator is useless and when activated looks,,, not good. (I think that even if any country would somehow get that type technology but it would look the way as it does in neocron, when activated, no one would use it and would rather just get shot.) When it will start to work properly and have the proper effects and the duration of time it works, it would be a very cool device to posses for a spy or any other stealthy character, and the idea itself is very cool.

Further on, why can’t a character shoot when in stealth mode? There should be no physical reason for it to behave so. Perhaps you guys should have the stealth activator run on energy cells which cost an immense amount of credits, but the wearer can still use his weapons, his just very hard to target, and you cant see his name or faction or any data about him, that would create true spies in this game, oh and in the chat window, its annoying when people find you just buy looking whose within a certain area, they can just use the chat box to “sniff” your location, which should not happen in fps, or this type of games, I think we should be able to disengage ourselves from the chat box so that people will not know we are in the area unless they see us, and re activate it when we are in plaza and wish others to know that we are present in that specific location.

Feedback is welcome.

Mankind
06-08-03, 05:33
I'll get right on that...

MortuusLupus
06-08-03, 06:00
If anything is done to make the stealth devices more powerful, tanks and monks will start bitching for nerfs. Then pistols will get their damage reduced, then rifles, then drones, then spies will only be able to get a max of 17 in every stat.

Stealth devices are fine as they are, and they suit their purpose: they're a way to escape or evade an enemy. They're not meant to be weapons.

yanbybkipbbpbbp
06-08-03, 06:11
Oh contraire, stealth activators are not meant to be simply used when you wish to escape, but when you simply wish to travel in shadows, be unseen, snipe people, or simply spy and hack without others noticing you.

Perhaps a new item should be brought into the game, Thermal or Photo Warp goggles, using them you can see the light reflection which the stealth activator generates, hence using it you can spot the spy, if you’re good enough, though using it would cause slight synaptic impairment because of the optic nerve strain.

Marx
06-08-03, 06:28
You're a giant blue blotch.

people will notice you.

The only thing that helps is you can't be targeted - hence using it to get away.

Unless you have cataracts, ten to one says you see the bugger.

IronMonkey
06-08-03, 06:53
and even if you have cataracts the medicine you smoke will make u be able to see the buggers and be in awe at the perty colors

yanbybkipbbpbbp
06-08-03, 06:58
That’s the whole point here, I’m saying that the stealth activator should produce a more stealthier appearance, perhaps like the one in the movie predator, please read my post a bit more carefully so that you can grasp the idea I’m trying to portray.

Disturbed021
06-08-03, 07:07
huh?? Whats the problem with SAs? Dude I have no problem with them and I use them all the time. ppl dont see me sneaking up on them so I can get an element of surprise. And when I get in trouble I stealth and run to heal, rebuff etc...
Thats pretty much all they are for.
A slight tactical advantage. They are perfectly fine atm.

VirtualReGen
06-08-03, 07:16
maybe like the one from PlanetSide? Dont know if the engine could do that though =/

Disturbed021
06-08-03, 07:23
Originally posted by VirtualReGen
maybe like the one from PlanetSide? Dont know if the engine could do that though =/

Prolly not possible in NC, but the one from PS was armor and it totally gimped you; which it should. You are almost completely invisible, therefore you can be killed by a slight breeze....unless someone went afk or was picking their nose then the suit pwnz!

Being able to shoot or hack while stealthed in NC would be too overpowering.

VirtualReGen
06-08-03, 07:31
hehe you just had to knee and press forward multiple times then your like almost invisible too =D Had some great kills with that =P

yea and i didnt ment to say that they should make people that use stealth be totally invisible,sorry =p, just make it so that you can see see their body in some transparent stuff or whatever just get rid of that "smoke" it looks cheap as hell :p

Mantus
06-08-03, 07:35
Yanbybkipbbpbbp, baby steps man! Think tweeks not MAJOR CHANGES. 4 min stealth and being able to shoot while at it...thats just nuts.

There is just one thing that i would change. I think that stealthed models should not have any textures or skins at all.

Because certain graphic cards don’t show transparent textures properly making stealth useless. Skin hacks are also very easy to come around and don’t think that some players wont stoops that low.

So just make the models totally skinless.

MortuusLupus
06-08-03, 08:12
You can't snipe while cloaked. You have to cloak after you shoot so you can get away without being seen. How is that anything but an evasive action? There's no "au contraire" at all about anything I said.

MjukisDjur
06-08-03, 08:43
worst post ever... Get some runspeed and 10 seconds is really great. 30 sec is enough to run across the map. And shooting while cloaked - jesus man...

Stealth is perfect as it is.

Marx
06-08-03, 09:26
I agree with the ugly kitty - er, I mean MjukisDjur

\\Fényx//
06-08-03, 09:44
That can not be done with this engine man... we'd all like to see it but it just aint gonna happen...

I have stealth 1 on my spy, he runs like shit of a shovel as most his CON is in ath. Stealth 1 is more than enough to run through a clan camping a OP, pick someone off at the back, then stealth and run back out :)

KidWithStick
06-08-03, 10:28
Oh contraire yanby, there used so spys can run away when theyre getting shot at...since its there best defence (running)

MjukisDjur
06-08-03, 11:14
hey, its a double best in show cat :)
Keep your thumbs since he is going to Sweden Winner Show (how cool :) this weekend

and btw yanbybkipbbpbbp, why the hell would MJS check this? Do you think he cares about this? He runs the business. He doesnt give a fuck about stealth :)
Dont yell for MJS unless you got something important to say. And even then he wont look in this forum...

greendonkeyuk
06-08-03, 14:28
to the author of this thread.... DO you even use stealth?

The obliterator lasts for 90 seconds!!! thats enough.....

ok picture this....

im a sniper...... walking along (all stealthed up) see an enemy tank..... i know ill shoot him!

Fuck! cant do it, gotta wait another 4 MINUTES before i can.....

(4 minutes later)

oh hes gone...

Damn next time ill use a stealth drug, get some drug flash, stagger about like a drunken lab rat and not be able to see anythin let alone hit anyone for shit!

If i manage to kill this cs wielding tank then ive gotta restealth... potentially more drugflash... and then run off....

Dude, no offence, but it aint gonna happen.

Please go test stealth devices or whatever other object you want to "improve" before posting as this post here just sounds like youve watched predator last night and maybe played avp this morning before school/work and decided you want it in neocron........

hnlecter
06-08-03, 15:04
Only thing that needs to be improved is so you can't be hit by AOE weapons while stealthed. And I am a spy as well so its not like I am saying this is a bad idea becuase I am not a spy.

Judge
06-08-03, 15:04
The only change that I would make to the stealth activators would be to be able to use them in safe zones. It would be great to shadow someone through the city to find out where they are going. Or to be stealthed in a rival factioned concenter meetings to find out what they are planning etc... It would cetainly improve the uses for spys, as they are basically the only ones who can use SA 3 or the rare which would be the best for actual spying. 1 and 2 are mainly used in a combative scenarios.

Hwarang S.
06-08-03, 16:39
Originally posted by yanbybkipbbpbbp
Further on, why can’t a character shoot when in stealth mode? There should be no physical reason for it to behave so. Perhaps you guys should have the stealth activator run on energy cells which cost an immense amount of credits, but the wearer can still use his weapons, his just very hard to target, and you cant see his name or faction or any data about him, that would create true spies in this game, oh and in the chat window, its annoying when people find you just buy looking whose within a certain area, they can just use the chat box to “sniff” your location, which should not happen in fps, or this type of games, I think we should be able to disengage ourselves from the chat box so that people will not know we are in the area unless they see us, and re activate it when we are in plaza and wish others to know that we are present in that specific location.

Feedback is welcome.

Gee, let me think.... Something comes to mind about Klingons..... Cloaked ships...... not firing........ hmmmmmm.. o_O

4 or 6 minutes?? Firing while cloaked??.... You're kidding right??? ....

No way, and I have have 2 almost capped Spys..... :rolleyes:

W/W/H/B/LE/Korn

Xin
06-08-03, 18:03
Fought a stealthed friend of min neofrag last night and thought it worked just fine for him. After a couple matches I developed some good strategies for dealing with it (in Neofrag at least.. prolly won't work in the wastelands...) It's easy to lose track of the "mist" and he got behind me quite often.

He only had the 10 second stealth, I can only imagine the havoc a 90 second one could wreak.

Shooting in stealth mode is a silly idea. No one could stand up to a 90 second barrage of gunfire (considering the level you'd have to be to get 90 seconds of stealth, and the weapon you'd most likely have)

Although I might be more accepting of a suggestion that "arming a weapon disengages stealth without the need of drugs". Using drugs to shut off a mechanical deviceis kind of strange to me. I understand that the main purpose is to inflict a penalty for early shutoff.. but the device itself could inflict that penalty - immediately, not delayed like it is with drugs.

One interesting situation that I'll use to boycott this thread a little: I knew he had no drugs, so when he stealthed I healed - and he walked in front of me, so I almost healed HIM. That could be cool tactic - steal your victim's heal for yourself. Does anyone know - can you be healed by another when you're stealthed? Or do spells not work if the target isn't reticuled?

Spy<VS>Spy
06-08-03, 18:22
the only friggin retarded drawback to the stealth, is not being able to turn it on and off at will...if i hit a llag bubble and try to hit my stealth device and it doesnt pull up, at the moment, i know i'm pretty much fucked.

same deal...what the hell is with the drugs? so gay, you should keep your stealth device up in your hand and use the num pad to turn it on an off.

there there is the friggen pisser of marking a stealther, i mean personaly, i belive there should BE no true sight sanctum, only a spell which marks the stealther, like the partical effect of healing or damage boost. once you hit em with that, they can still go stealth but you can follow them. in THAT instance its the spy's who invest in using rare stealthers for higher cloak times that will get further add on time to heal or find an escape...the way it is now, parashock the fuck out of them, stand next to them, shoot them.

other then that, AoE weapons, getting too close to a target and having them see your mist...not being able to use your guns while cloaked. (cause you should be holding that item, not press button put back in pocket)

the peneltys are exceptable, and the delay kills many stealthers, belive me...the only problem, is its limite dto how fast your connection is...if your REALLY quick you can switch to the activator and activat it in about oh...2 seconds i think...maybe three...someone like me, it takes my 5-6 seconds to switch from fighting to stealthing...with good ping...so trust me, not all escape attempts work out for the best, typicaly with the bad armor taking hard hits doesnt work well for me.

PaulVinten
06-08-03, 18:25
The stealthier device needs much work, the effects it produces when activated are ludicrous. It must be changed so that the wearer becomes somewhat transparent rather than having all that stuff of different colors around him, which just makes it look somewhat gay and un-futuristic. Perhaps the effect should be as was in the Predator movie, and that the water would have the same effect on it, that effect can be also seen in the game predator vs. aliens 2.

I agree that the blue smoke does look crap, but the NC engine just wouldn't be able to handle that kind of texturing on a model. and as some people already said, some GFX cards don't render transparant models properly.

Regarding the length it runs, it is much to short, the stealth activators are used by spies while they are performing hacks (which are 30 seconds) runs and snipes, so it should at least run for 1 min at the lowest levels, perhaps 2 mins at level 2 and 4 mins at level 3, and the rare would give a concealment for 6 minutes so that the spy or any other type of stealth user would disappear into the darkness
Ok, 6 minutes of stealth, WTF?! NO! I'm a spying spy, and pride myself on the ability to use an obliterator. (you have no idea how much fun it is until you've tried it). BELEIVE me, it's long enough for anything you could think of. Not sure if MB GR is clear? pick up the oblit, use it, whack it back in your gogo, step through gr, walk around a bit.

3 can be used for minimal spying, 1 and 2 are purely for evading really.

actually if the stealth activator would work like the one in predator, and having the same visual effects, it would work very nicely at night, giving the all gothic and futuristic appearance that this game strives for. In conclusion, as of now the stealth activator is useless and when activated looks,,, not good. (I think that even if any country would somehow get that type technology but it would look the way as it does in neocron, when activated, no one would use it and would rather just get shot.) When it will start to work properly and have the proper effects and the duration of time it works, it would be a very cool device to posses for a spy or any other stealthy character, and the idea itself is very cool.

Further on, why can’t a character shoot when in stealth mode? There should be no physical reason for it to behave so.

I know, lets make spies have a 6 minute long stealth, that they can shoot out of, but are invisable to everyone else. Jeez, like THAT wouldn't be unbalanced.

Perhaps you guys should have the stealth activator run on energy cells which cost an immense amount of credits, but the wearer can still use his weapons, his just very hard to target, and you cant see his name or faction or any data about him, that would create true spies in this game, oh and in the chat window, its annoying when people find you just buy looking whose within a certain area, they can just use the chat box to “sniff” your location,

I must say that I've thought about getting the stealth activator to run on ammo, or have a recharge time, that's maybe a good idea. Must be able to reload it whilst stealthed though, at least for sa 3 and oblit.

As for the chat window thing, when you cloak you disappear from the people window, AND anyone in your team looses the little arrows...

Feedback is welcome.

Originally posted by Xin
Shooting in stealth mode is a silly idea. No one could stand up to a 90 second barrage of gunfire (considering the level you'd have to be to get 90 seconds of stealth, and the weapon you'd most likely have)

Actually not, to be able to use the oblit you need 100 TC, and so you need to gimp your rifle combat quite a bit to be able to use it.

Originally posted by hnlecter
Only thing that needs to be improved is so you can't be hit by AOE weapons while stealthed. And I am a spy as well so its not like I am saying this is a bad idea becuase I am not a spy.

Erm, just NO. It's something that makes you invisable, not out of phase with all matter lol. AOE is the only defence against a spying spy with oblit or sa 3.

I can use a SA1 straight from a GR, I can use an oblit, and if I use the oblit before GRing, by the time the oblit has worn off, I can use sa3.

Roc-a-fella
06-08-03, 18:27
yanbybkipbbpbbp i agree 100% with you

and this game will never be a truely good game until ideas like these are added you cant even prone on neocron, because the makers wont take time to "script it in"

Xian
06-08-03, 18:37

I wonder why a character can't shoot while stealthed. Let me think, would it be just a little overpowering? I can't get a reticle on someone who is stealthed, and if someone knows what they're doing its a bitch trying to get them with AoE weapons. If stealth also lasted 4 odd minutes, you're looking at a Spy being the most powerful class in the game full stop, since it would be almost impossible to kill them. (don't say AoE, because a rifle spy could kill you from fucking miles away even if their combat was gimped).

The player name box isn't really that bad in my opinion, lets you know if friends are around easily without having to look all over the place... plus lag means I don't see someone who might PK me until they're right on top of me.