PDA

View Full Version : Uk ppl-Who's your ISP??

Sanch0s
06-08-03, 00:52
Im just wodering who everyones ISP is who plays neocron, id also like to know what tou all think of them- service-speed -value ect.
Im currently with AOL BB think its shit and ive cancelled so this thread might hopefully help m choose a new ISP that i will be happy with.
Thanks for reading and any suggestions will be appreciated.

Sanchos

alig
06-08-03, 00:53
not freeserve BB.....:mad:

*ph33r*
06-08-03, 00:54
Im on Freeserve- and its complete crap... disconnects every 2 f'in hours ffs! Plus im stuck with ISDN cause broadband isn't available where I live *sigh* so that just makes matters worse.

Hope I helped :rolleyes: :p

Mumblyfish
06-08-03, 00:57
FreeServe BB because I'm not the one paying the bills :(.

Yes, FreeServe is so abysmal you'll want to cut yourself. With another man's penis.

*ph33r*
06-08-03, 00:58
Originally posted by Mumblyfish
Yes, FreeServe is so abysmal you'll want to cut yourself. With another man's penis.

What the almight mumbleh fishy said.

^____________________________^

enablerbr
06-08-03, 00:59
OMG hahahahahah AOL, poor you.

i'm with netcentral on 2.2mbit adsl.

Edit: i pay £51.70 inc vat per month

Nidhogg
06-08-03, 01:00
NTL broadband. It gets a bad rep but I've had it for just under a year and I've never had a single outage...and I use it a lot.

N

Breschau
06-08-03, 01:00
Telewest Blueyonder cable (the basic £25/30 per month one).

Very happy with it. Admittably haven't used any other broadband (though a few 56k dialups) to compare with, but it's always been pretty fast and downtimes are very infrequent. When they do occur, the majority are over within a few hours, a day at most. In two years there's only been one instance where there were problems for as long as a week.

Dunno about prices, but I'm perfectly happy with the £25 per month I'm paying (we have other Telewest services, or I think it'd be £30).

Have yet to really need their tech support, so not sure what it's like. The one occasion was that single week long period of downtime and poor performance - it was real difficult to get through with a 45-60 minute queue mid-evening, but once I was through they were relatively helpful. Dunno if the 45-60 minute wait was the norm, or cos lots of other people were having the same problem I was.

enablerbr
06-08-03, 01:01
Nid guess you don't download a lot then. :p

DIS
06-08-03, 01:02
im on freeserve 56k, cheap but shite, disconencts every 2 hours, usually in a op war or something :(

Kendo Averly
06-08-03, 01:02
NTLWorld. They're good. Lesser of the twenty evils.

Ryuben
06-08-03, 01:08
NTL 600k thingy i had it over a year no probs cuts out like once a month for about 5 mins no problem really and i use it alot as well

Sanch0s
06-08-03, 01:09
Yeah, im only really intrested in BB i know about the AOL:( :(
I want one so i get pings under 50 in other fps so i dont have to play nc all the time :lol: :lol:

TEBO
06-08-03, 01:16
Telewest/ Blueyonder - 1mb version dont need the 2mb version

problems: none really, apart from them arsing up my account to start with and the odd rare (not as rare as droner implant tech part drops mind u) downtime (3 times in 3 years)

erm, what was the question again?

\\Fényx//
06-08-03, 01:24
im on a NTL BB Business package on my home PC :D, its 1 meg but cause I only shar with 4 other ppl per hub its pretty fuckin fast

MrBane
06-08-03, 01:27
NTL 1mbit cable, currently on offer at £34.99 a month, worth every penny.

As long as you aren't ripping the total arse out of it (And lets be honest, why would you be unless you were downloading wads of movies and games that you'll never watch or play), it's a great deal.

Never, ever had any outages for over a year.

\\Fényx//
06-08-03, 01:29
Originally posted by MrBane
NTL 1mbit cable, currently on offer at £34.99 a month, worth every penny.

As long as you aren't ripping the total arse out of it (And lets be honest, why would you be unless you were downloading wads of movies and games that you'll never watch or play), it's a great deal.

Never, ever had any outages for over a year.

Same as im on really... there _is_ however a 1 gig cap per day on your Dloading :p but like Bain said youll never hit that cap unless you really take the piss. I have only had 1 outage, that was cause some fucktard crashed his car into the hub box in the street, took out most people's phones/TV/cable in my street rofl

Shujin
06-08-03, 01:32
wtf AOL is in the UK? wtf o.0 America Online is in the UK... wtf o.0 am i not gettin somethin dont the name kinda fuck it? o.0

Aol.... uk.... aol... uk o.0 *head exploses

enablerbr
06-08-03, 01:34
Amatures On Line.
Art Of Lossers.

Sanch0s
06-08-03, 01:36
Some like to call it gayOL
Either way america or UK ive heard both are shit.

jernau
06-08-03, 01:39
Originally posted by Shujin
wtf AOL is in the UK? wtf o.0 America Online is in the UK... wtf o.0 am i not gettin somethin dont the name kinda fuck it? o.0

Aol.... uk.... aol... uk o.0 *head exploses

You know what BP stands for right?

/edit - OT : NTL 1Mb CM - It's OK but their support sucks ass when they bork the routers (not often but enough to annoy) and their billing is "interesting". I'd avoid them if you are in certain areas e.g. Oxford where they are beneath contempt. As a company they are a constant source of humour though. I'm moving to Nildram or Bulldog as soon as they can get me SDSL.

enablerbr
06-08-03, 01:39
you might want to checkout pipex.com for cheap adsl. if all you want to do is play games online 512k is all you need.

look here adslguide.org (http://www.adslguide.org)

\\Fényx//
06-08-03, 01:40
Originally posted by jernau

hehe pwnd :p but i dont think he will get that :D

MrBane
06-08-03, 01:42
there _is_ however a 1 gig cap per day on your Dloading

Was reading up more on that, it seems they've relaxed it quite a bit now after the outcry over it.

Still, as I said, you'll only break that cap if you're a mad h4x0r p1r4t3.

:P

enablerbr
06-08-03, 01:45
MrBane well my 2.2mbit BW doesn't go to waste.

jernau
06-08-03, 01:46
Originally posted by MrBane
Was reading up more on that, it seems they've relaxed it quite a bit now after the outcry over it.

Still, as I said, you'll only break that cap if you're a mad h4x0r p1r4t3.

:P

They've backed down totally after it was pointed out that a) it would be a substantial breach of contract and b) their business model is broken enough without losing 99.9% of their customers.

wrt "mad h4xor..." - if I do less than that /day I'd assume they'd broken the line again.

\\Fényx//
06-08-03, 01:49
They've backed down totally after it was pointed out that a) it would be a substantial breach of contract and b) their business model is broken enough without losing 99.9% of their customers.

wrt "mad h4xor..." - if I do less than that /day I'd assume they'd broken the line again.

yea they advertise, and STILL advertise it as unlimited BB access, when they put the cap on it everyone went crazy lol. mind you it took NTL 18 months for them to take the ''Free dialup access'' adverts down after they started charging #6 a month for it lol :lol:

jernau
06-08-03, 01:52
Originally posted by \\Fényx//
yea they advertise, and STILL advertise it as unlimited BB access, when they put the cap on it everyone went crazy lol. mind you it took NTL 18 months for them to take the ''Free dialup access'' adverts down after they started charging #6 a month for it lol :lol:

My two favourite NTLisms :

1) We want to dump Analogue in favour of Digital cable so we'll charge double for digital (for a lower quality service too) and when that fails we'll make analogue FREE.

2) Income/subscriber x no. of subscribers = 1/100 of overheads => publicly announce you won't be taking on any new subsribers until you make a profit.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shujin
06-08-03, 01:54

used to be, yes USED TO BE, british petroleum, forgot what it is now
but dont have british in its name anymore. rebbok shoes are also from the UK. and i think burger king is o.0

\\Fényx//
06-08-03, 01:56
but dont have british in its name anymore. rebbok shoes are also from the UK. and i think burger king is o.0

Rebokk

Eckel
06-08-03, 01:59
Blueyonder 512k

I totally abuse my connection :).......

Rarely have any problems ..... when i do helpdesk is very good....

NTL ... They're using Telewest stuff.....i'm sure there was a merge a yr ago or so ?

BT sux ..sorry but they do.... they botch things.....known fact BT gamers get higher pings than BY gamers upto 30ms ...

Basically i hate BT...I still owe them £150 from 4 yrs ago or so....
I got on their Surftime £10 a mth ....BB was'nt out then.....
I was a newbie to the net and rung their helpdesk askign why i got cutoff every 2 hrs... the guy gave me a number and said i wont be cut off........cool..........got my bill that mth and they had charged me my inet calls and still charged me for surftime.....when i rung them and said there must be a mistake....i said look at the times i was on...it fits my surftime hrs; 3 mths i was ringing and they still could'nt sort it because of lack of info.......i said ure BT get them ...."no we're BTinternet not BTphone" they said.....So ure BT but not BT....."yeh" ......Cya....been with cable from that day......

Glad i got that off my chest.............for the 200th time :p

AOL .....ya gotta be joking.....altho they make great coasters for my tea ;)

jernau
06-08-03, 02:04

It's still British Petroleum.

Burger King is owned by Diageo (via Grand Met) who are indeed British.

I think Reebok shoes are from Korea, China or wherever the labour is cheapest. ;)

/edit - @eckel : NTL bought Telewest along with almost every other cable co. in Britain.

NeoLojik
06-08-03, 02:27
Plus.Net's 24/7 DialUp Access - £99.99/month

No 2 hr kick, no idle kick, etc

Yes, its a LOT to pay for dialup, but I can afford it and I cant STAND getting kicked every 2hrs.

Besides, broadband will FINALLY be in my area from October w00t! Im upgrading to a 2048/256 ADSL connection which will cost about £65/month

Cant wait :D

jernau
06-08-03, 02:29
Originally posted by NeoLojik
Plus.Net's 24/7 DialUp Access - £99.99/month

FMR with a splintered barge-pole.:eek:

NeoLojik
06-08-03, 02:31
FMR with a splintered barge-pole.:eek: ROFL :lol:

Sanch0s
06-08-03, 03:58
OMFG 99.99 ur fucking mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!o_O 8|
For dial up rofl!

Yeah im looking at nildram and pipex, bulldog my original choice seems to be out the question-apparently it takes 20 days to hook up and as of 2moro i will be internetless:( :(
So i will be oredering later today when the sun is up. I am yet to decide but atm im leaning toward nildram as on adsl guide they have generally looked better.

Ur joking......right?

NeoLojik
06-08-03, 04:14
Originally posted by Sanch0s
Ur joking......right?

Nope: http://www.plus.net/info2/residential/res_fixed_connectalwayson.html

Kendo Averly
06-08-03, 04:15
When needs must, responses occur. It's justified if you're in such a desperate situation.

Doc Holliday
06-08-03, 04:15
@jernau NTL bought alot of companies mate but never Telewest. Up until a very short time ago i worked for em sellin NTHELL Broadband. :lol:

i still use it too. its not been bad. i know of some people who have had some real 'mares with it but on the whole its pretty reliable. the 1gb per day caused some shit tho. i remember it well :D * nostalgia kicks in

enablerbr
06-08-03, 04:17
well i know some mates on irc were p!ssed off about the ntl dl cap.

Birkoff
06-08-03, 04:23
Use a meg Blueyonder line at home, I'm rarely there and abuse it like hell d/l 24-7 as its holidays. Never had a single problem + i get free TV and phone line *w00t*

Use 572k ADSL line with BT at a mates and it pathetic lol. Don't use BT :)

Legoias
06-08-03, 06:33
Originally posted by Birkoff
Use a meg Blueyonder line at home, I'm rarely there and abuse it like hell d/l 24-7 as its holidays. Never had a single problem + i get free TV and phone line *w00t*

Use 572k ADSL line with BT at a mates and it pathetic lol. Don't use BT :)

On on the same package but with 512k. Great thing with Blueyonder is you can phone them up and switch between 512k/1mb/2mb packages withing a matter of hours. I'll soon be upgrading to the 1mb service.

kurai
06-08-03, 07:32
Easynet business DSL - 2Mbit.

It's been fine, with approx 36 hours downtime in about 2.5 years (24 hours of that was the router PSU going splat, and a replacement being delivered).

Pricey though.

SynC_187
06-08-03, 10:52
Originally posted by Doc Holliday
@jernau NTL bought alot of companies mate but never Telewest.

Telewest is owned by Granada.
Blueyonder is a subsidury of NTL US who own but abandoned NTL UK

hinch
06-08-03, 10:54
energis o_O 4mb leased line :rolleyes:

hinch
06-08-03, 10:56
Originally posted by SynC_187
Telewest is owned by Granada.
Blueyonder is a subsidury of NTL US who own but abandoned NTL UK

quite wrong by is owned by telewest outright they purchased it about 4 years ago

Ascension
06-08-03, 10:57
HUH? whys everyone against FreeServe BB ive never had probs with mine had it 4 a year now :)

Dardalion
06-08-03, 11:06
Was on BT Openworld Broadband for a year then changed to Virgin - paying £5 a month less and it seems to be faster than BT

jernau
06-08-03, 11:07
@jernau NTL bought alot of companies mate but never Telewest. Up until a very short time ago i worked for em sellin NTHELL Broadband. :lol:

Yeah, you're right - late night, much happy-juice :). There is/was some kind of dodgy dealing between them a few years back though and NTL acquired a lot of Telewest areas. I can't remember exactly how it worked but it looked a lot like a "you have that lot and we'll have this lot" type arrangement.

i still use it too. its not been bad. i know of some people who have had some real 'mares with it but on the whole its pretty reliable. the 1gb per day caused some shit tho. i remember it well :D * nostalgia kicks in

Nostalgia? It was this year.:lol: