PDA

View Full Version : Arguement!

TEBO
05-08-03, 23:11
Right, someone help me here, before I smack someone.

Is it possible to run 2 accounts at the same time on the same PC?
So that for example u could poke one player on 1 account with a player from another account - all on the same PC?

I say it is possible, but 'a n other' says its not, who is right?

Dardalion
05-08-03, 23:16
U cant run 2 accounts on 1 PC

Network a 2nd or summat

IronMonkey
05-08-03, 23:18
er i was told before you can...

hmmm

d3ik
05-08-03, 23:19
First off, I'm a grammar freak so I need to point out that there's only one 'e' in argument...

Second, you have to have a second PC with a separate account. The problem is that even if you hypothetically could run two versions on the same machine, Neocron runs off of the same port (8040), so if two instances tried to run (which I don't think would be allowed to begin with)... they would be trying to use the same port to talk through. Same port + two conversations = only one gets through.

Tregard
05-08-03, 23:23
Originally posted by d3ik
First off, I'm a grammar freak so I need to point out that there's only one 'e' in argument...

Second, you have to have a second PC with a separate account. The problem is that even if you hypothetically could run two versions on the same machine, Neocron runs off of the same port (8040), so if two instances tried to run (which I don't think would be allowed to begin with)... they would be trying to use the same port to talk through. Same port + two conversations = only one gets through.

errrr......

if you have two separate directories and modify the neocron.ini in one to use a different port, then theoretically(spelling?) you can.

However, 2 neo's running at the same time = very very slow.

Mankind
05-08-03, 23:25
It's very weird, but you really cannot. Usually under windows XP you can create two seperate logins and connect to a game and play it on both logins. I was able to do this with counter-strike, tribes, and some rpgs also. In the previous rpg I played I was able to cast defensive spells on my other account, which was a real help. I have absolutely no clue why Neocron does not allow you to do this. On the second login the furthest you can get is to the character selection screen, and then it tells you that you cannot login because your IP is already connected.

TEBO
05-08-03, 23:30
Originally posted by d3ik

Thank you for your 2nd comment, as for your first, I really dont give a flying f..k (spell that 1) - :mad: there is always 1 :D

FlashFF
05-08-03, 23:32
Im quite sure it all boils down to the client.exe checking for the existence of another version of itself running.

Unless u could hack the exe from the second one, Im quite sure the second one would just close itself.

If you could run 2 OS's from the same system at the same time, perhaps it would work without hacking the exe but thats a hard enough task on its own.

Easiest solution is to network 2 PC's

About the same port thing...
The 8040 is the port on the NC server you connect to.

Open your neocron.ini and make a new entry

LOCALPORT = "6000"

That's how you change your local port, and this would have to be different on each copy.

Note to Network users.

If you are running a netwrok through a router (I.E. all your comps have the same IP) you also need to do this to each copy on each computer you are running NC on. If you dont, you can get a lot of packet collisions, and have a lot of problems playing.

IronMonkey
05-08-03, 23:32
eh well like tregard said it is possible. As i know someone that runs multiples off one pc.

OpTi
05-08-03, 23:41
it's possible because i do it from 1 PC

ok REALLY easy, first start up NC login to your first account and login to your char, then alt-tab out and goto your NC directory and open neocron.ini at the end type

LOCALPORT="5000"

or whatever port if free (don't forgetany firewalls etc that maybe blocking the port). Start another instance of NC and login to your seccond account and 2nd char.

Just remember to remove the LOCALPORT="5000" when your finished, i know this works because i'm using it right now :D

mclayton
05-08-03, 23:47
HEY! If you had two tanks (not two hybrids, obviously) you could be UBER! All you need is maybe an extra finger or two, or maybe you could train your toes, or maybe I shouldn't smoke so much weed.....

MortuusLupus
05-08-03, 23:54
You, can and it's easy. Just do the localport things that have already been said. You'll need to have a beefy machine, though, and even then you'll prolly need to run them windowed, or at least at low graphics settings. If all you're gonna do is transfer moneys and equipment between two of your characters, though, then it shouldn't matter. Just put them both someplace simple, like an apartment hallway, and you should be fine.

\\Fényx//
05-08-03, 23:57
hehe or run a program that Emulates a second OS :D then like thingy said up above, edit the in/out port it uses on your PC. Works, but its BLOODY laggy on my PC and my PC is...liek... uber :)

[Edit] Damn it FlashFF beat me to it =P

Kugero
06-08-03, 00:04
or maybe install a second NIC so you can bind a second IP address. You still might have to goof with the port settings for each install and on the router but that might work ...

kurai
06-08-03, 00:24
Originally posted by Mankind
In the previous rpg I played I was able to cast defensive spells on my other account, which was a real help. I have absolutely no clue why Neocron does not allow you to do this. You just answered your own question

jernau
06-08-03, 00:46
You can.
I have done.

You'll need a good router though (or you'll synch a lot) and a dual CPU box. Set the process affinity right and it's OK though you'll find that some time-dependant tasks (e.g. LoMs and Processor tasks) can run at funny speeds. Also the log-off timer doesn't seem to tick-down unless the process has focus.

I haven't tried a VM but it will probably be similar as all the above are probably caused by DX tasks monopolising CPU time.

Ferabukoo
06-08-03, 01:03
yes its possible.. but shit fps.

TEBO
06-08-03, 01:09
Originally posted by mclayton
HEY! If you had two tanks (not two hybrids, obviously) you could be UBER! All you need is maybe an extra finger or two, or maybe you could train your toes, or maybe I shouldn't smoke so much weed.....

No, weed is good!

Now that would be funny, all op wars being decided on whose keyboard lasted longest from being foot bashed!

Suppose the downside of that would be more people using the 'new' speed hack ---- Athletes Foot !!! :D

Tregard
06-08-03, 16:45
Originally posted by TEBO
No, weed is good!

Now that would be funny, all op wars being decided on whose keyboard lasted longest from being foot bashed!

Suppose the downside of that would be more people using the 'new' speed hack ---- Athletes Foot !!! :D

o_O

*GROAN*

I can't believe you said that :p

hinch
06-08-03, 17:09
yes you can just need 2 nc installs

Monthar
07-08-03, 01:35
I run two accounts from one PC all the time for money transfers, pokes, barterer workign with CSt, etc.

You will need Neocron installed twice on the same computer. Just make a new folder called Neocron Mules or somethign similar then cop y everythign from the Neocron folder to the new folder. Next copy the launcher file from the new folder and paste shortcut to desktop to launch the 2nd copy. Lastly add this line to the end of your ini file.
neocron.ini for first instance of the install add:
LOCALPORT="6000"
neocron.ini in the new folder add:
LOCALPORT="6002"

Then you're all set. However, you may have graphics problems where the buff icons don't appear after alt-tabbing between the two. I've also had loss of the Navray arrow. A simple reconnect clears these issues. You will definately have sluggish frame rates due to how much work your CPU is having to do for both copies running at once with a character logged on in both accounts. However, that clears up as soon as you log off one of the accounts.

hudsonbeck
07-08-03, 17:06
Originally posted by OpTi
it's possible because i do it from 1 PC

ok REALLY easy, first start up NC login to your first account and login to your char, then alt-tab out and goto your NC directory and open neocron.ini at the end type

LOCALPORT="5000"

or whatever port if free (don't forgetany firewalls etc that maybe blocking the port). Start another instance of NC and login to your seccond account and 2nd char.

Just remember to remove the LOCALPORT="5000" when your finished, i know this works because i'm using it right now :D

I read this...Did it...it worked fine.
but omg.... it was a little better when i do it from 2 different PC's even tho i got a pretty beefy PC.

H

jernau
07-08-03, 17:09
DirectX is not designed to support two applications at once. It assumes it will get a lot of resources. Windowed mode is a lot better than full-screen though.