PDA

View Full Version : EVE online: A few questions.

Helen Angilley
05-08-03, 21:19
While I'm _far_ from quitting Neocron, I've gained quite a lot of interest in EVE Online, needless to say, if things go well I should have my grubby little mitts on a copy by the end of a week.

But a few questions before I _do_ fork out...

1.) Just how detailed is the character creation process? I've heard that this is one of the strongest (Asethically that is) features of the game, can your avatar be truly "unique" in the game?

Likewise, how is the ship creation handled? Are guns, shields...etc visible?

2.) I have a 2.4GHZ Athlon with 256MB DDR RAM and a 64MB GeForce 4 FX card.

Will that get acceptable frame rates?

3.) How is the PVP system/atmosphere? I can't see myself being too combat orientated (For some reason, mining, trading and fabrication seem more important to me than blowing seven bells of crap out of someone else), but I'd like to know just how big he chance of a ruddy great Battleship gobbling up my wee little Mining ship is.

4.) Finally, how is death and "ressurection" handled?

Ta for ya time.

enablerbr
05-08-03, 21:28
you thought of trying the EVE forums. apart from that from the comments i've seen there quite a lot of new players moan about death being handled. on the griefer front these days i've no idea. it was bad at start but not sure now.

oh i'd suggest you got another stick of 256ddr mem. just for the fact most games and appz these days play better with it. unless your playing unreal2 in which case 1 gb ddr is whats needed.

Lord Cypher
05-08-03, 21:33
My crystal ball sees this coming O_o

The famous Thread Closed line by Nidhogg
Thread Closed.

No advertising for other games

N

Helen Angilley
05-08-03, 21:33
I would try the EVE forums, but I'm a little sceptical about "breaking in" to the community that way.

Also, I don't know the URL for the forums anyway. :p

Cypher:
It's not advertising, it's asking a feq questions about the game.

enablerbr
05-08-03, 21:36
i was interested in EVE but i had hoped the combat would be similar to ELiTE. instead it's a click & click system. which is no real skill.

Helen Angilley
05-08-03, 21:38
Originally posted by enablerbr
i was interested in EVE but i had hoped the combat would be similar to ELiTE. instead it's a click & click system. which is no real skill.

I prefer that system, to be perfectly honest.

Gives me more time to think about my actions as well as being a little easier on my connection (56k modem).

Having said that, I doubt my opinion would be the same if I had a monster connection...y'know, like 256k or something. :p

CkVega
05-08-03, 21:39
Some answers

1) yes, you spend a while making a great unique face only to have it shrunk down to a postage stamp never to be seen again.

2)that will be fine

3)your dealing with human nature, mostly people will leave you alone but you get some plonkers there. EVE has one of the best revenge systems ever, you can set a bounty on someones head and it will appear in the missions list for other people to accept.

4)To answer this you must realise that skills are gained in real time via buying and running training programs. If someone/something blows up your ship you will end up in a life pod which you can pilot back to the station and get a noob ship for free, if someone kills your pod then you die. Once you have died you are replicated at the last station you tagged for replication, but your clone will not have as much skill as your dead character did (not to mention the price of loseing you ship), Death is kinda harsh in EVE but not terrible.

The one thing I'll say about eve is Don't expect an action game, it take patience to play and much dedication to master. I enjoyed it but I prefer neocron :)

/edit Something I forgot to mention, Don't think that because its point and click that its boring in a fight! Fighting in EVE takes raw cunning and big ass lasers (read - Large hybrid turrets)

enablerbr
05-08-03, 21:40
then u'd best play that westwood space mmorpg. it has no PvP.

oh i have a 2.2mb dsl. not bad for being unemployed living in london.:D

Edit: earth & beyond. POS imo

ncadict
05-08-03, 21:41
I played beta Eve and tbh it suxx badly, Beatifull graphics but unless u like mining which is very very boring for like 20 hrs then flying halfway across the universe to sell it {another 1hr} it suxx.
Also unless ur idea of PvP is point and clik its not for u.

I personally would have played it and loved it if it had had a freelancer interface but point and cliks not for me.

Also the game has very harsh death penatly ie u lose ur ship and everything installed on it ie guns etc {ships insured if uve payed for it your guns and installed items are not} after ur ship has been blown up you eject in a pod if ur pod gets kileld then ur back to the begining again wiuth a char with 0- stats.
All in all i was very dissapointed in this game it could have been so good.

But maybe u should check it out for your self as i dont know what kinda player u are.

General Crazy
05-08-03, 21:42
I played the beta for it and it was very boring click wait 2 hours click again wait another 2 hours nothing to really shoot at mostly mining and trading

Pill
05-08-03, 21:44
1) You can be unique as you want, with a few million dollars, and 6 months.

2) Please, I ran the game on a 16 mb video card with UBER framerates

3) PvP is PvP, you can shoot someone out of the clear blue, for no reason, and get away with it.

4) Death is handled in 2 ways, first there is ship destruction, where you are put into a pod when a ship is destroyed, then there is podding, when your pod is destroyed, this sends a corpse into space, when you regenerate, you get a new newbie ship, and some of your skills are gone, depending from the last point you saved your character so to speak.

If you want a good corporation to start with, go Gallente, and look for Draconis Heavy Industries, tell 'em Ezekiel Hammer sent ya :D.

Note: I quit 3 weeks in, because i was already raping people without trying, and i wasn't even on medium guns yet. I had also accomplished every aspect of the game in this time.

Best Guns Ever: 450mm Large Hybrid Cannons, Antimatter ammo,
650mm Large Artillery Turret, Tungsten Ammo,

Helen Angilley
05-08-03, 21:44
Originally posted by CkVega
Some answers

Thanks. :)

Although you didn't answer about ship creation. :p

Anyway....hmm, definitely sounds like my sort of game (Y'know, freeform, can choose from a wide range of careers....etc), and the bounty system looks fairly nifty. :D

Is their anyway to "protect" yourself from losing all those Uber M4dskillz you learn though? In PCGamer I've read about Insurance, Cloning...et al, so it got me wondering.

QuantumDelta
05-08-03, 21:49
I can hook you up with a couple friends.
One of whom says he's a good RPer but I'll leave you to judge :P

CkVega
05-08-03, 21:59
Originally posted by Helen Angilley
Thanks. :)

Although you didn't answer about ship creation. :p

Anyway....hmm, definitely sounds like my sort of game (Y'know, freeform, can choose from a wide range of careers....etc), and the bounty system looks fairly nifty. :D

Is their anyway to "protect" yourself from losing all those Uber M4dskillz you learn though? In PCGamer I've read about Insurance, Cloning...et al, so it got me wondering.

hehe, They were bringing in insurance as I left EVE (tempory), it should be in the game by now so you should be able to insure yourself against losing your skills.

Its not exactly ship creation (although I think different weapons do appear on the ship and I'm almost sure you can have your corporate logo on your ship). I tended to buy ready built ships for myself although the corps I was in did start shipbuilding as I was leaving. I heard you could research blueprints in order to gain more proformance or lower production costs of the item.

the greatest thing (and most cumbersome) about EVE was the economy, its ALL player run (apart from skill kits which you buy from the universitys). people place orders for minerals and miners fill the orders.

If you do decide to play, look up a corparation called Mining Unlimited Corparation (MUC) and tell em CkVega sent you ;)

/edit urrg I still didn't really answer your question..... um.... um...
DM me in neocron and I'll tell you about it better (server: pluto - character: mierin eronaile)

hivemind
05-08-03, 22:34
Best.

Mining.

Sim.

EVAR!!!

Pill
05-08-03, 22:54
Draconis Heavy Industries, Gallente Corporation, they will learn you good.

EDIT: Learned today that the members of that corp changed over to Draconis Industries.

Helen Angilley
05-08-03, 22:58
Hmm....actually, all this brings up a couple more questions:

1.) How many servers are there? What would most be suitable for one like me (ie Someone heavily into Roleplay, doesn't mind being blown away in a hideously out-matched fight...but as long as there's a reason)?

2.) Is joining a Corporation neccesary? Or could a Miner (My pre-chosen profession :p) do fine on her own?

3.) How is the Roleplay in EVE? Fanatical? "Calm"? Populated by "I pwn j00" people? o_O

Ta again.

EDIT: Oh, could someone PM me a link to the forums, please? Rather not get this Thread closed for advertising.

Pill
05-08-03, 23:01
there is Tranquility and Chaos, Tranq is main, Chaos is test,

you don't HAVE to join a corp, but it's within your better intrest.

Roleplay is to an extent, but i wouldn't stretch it.

d3ik
05-08-03, 23:24
Okay, I have to put in my two cents and say that I 'hate' Eve Online. It has to be one of the most pointless games in history. Oh, and I have to wonder how a game that's still in BETA got so many people in it when the gameplay and re-playability are horrible . Wow, I feel much better now. Thank you, that is all.....

Pill
05-08-03, 23:28
mmorpgs have no replay value, as there is no 'the end'

btw, technically, the game is retail, but in fact, the only game that can beat it for bugginess, is neocron, so all the beta vets still say it's in beta :)

EDIT: Taking a short leave from nc to partake in that which is eve, will be back, learned can't play 2 mmo's a month :?

Darkborg
05-08-03, 23:45
eve is a very interesting game, as long as u get to the next step if your personal development stops or slows ( which it will) it gets sooooooooooo boring minig is vital as long as u produce things but in reality the best way to earn money is hunting pirates which Get boring when u have to make 19 jumps to get to the hunting areas.

Which is my biggest prob with that game u spend WAAAAAAAAAAAAY to much time travelling doingnothing but watching your dumbass slow cruiser moving through starsystem after starsystem... *sigh* i can imagine that some people will find this game interesting because of the player based economy

Shakari
06-08-03, 01:08
Originally posted by Helen Angilley
Hmm....actually, all this brings up a couple more questions:

1.) How many servers are there? What would most be suitable for one like me (ie Someone heavily into Roleplay, doesn't mind being blown away in a hideously out-matched fight...but as long as there's a reason)?

2.) Is joining a Corporation neccesary? Or could a Miner (My pre-chosen profession :p) do fine on her own?

3.) How is the Roleplay in EVE? Fanatical? "Calm"? Populated by "I pwn j00" people? o_O

Ta again.

EDIT: Oh, could someone PM me a link to the forums, please? Rather not get this Thread closed for advertising.

1/ 1 main server 1 test

2/no u don't have to but cosidering the cost of ships its pereferable battle ships cost 17 mill or the abouts
cruisers start from 3 mill

I got about 30k per mining run so takes ages lol

3/ yeah there are idiots one being a corp called mega :(

I quit because it basically one bloody big time sink, lvling is done in real time ie. cruiser 4 took be 10 days to get :) but I loved ther variety of ships weapons amd equipment there was. If you have the patience You could enjoy it..

P.S. I am not ruling out, going back to eve but atm NC and AO get my attaention, and NC won't be losing it any time soon lol

jernau
06-08-03, 01:11
Originally posted by hivemind
Best.

Mining.

Sim.

EVAR!!!

What he said.

BlackPrince
06-08-03, 01:18
The Gang, up until recently, played EVE and earned quite a name for ourselves as the better Pirates in game. That said, here are a few things:

The Community is one of the worst I've ever seen, period. The nastiest, most disrespectful, idiotic, pathetic excuses for human beings I've ever had the displeasure of meeting (the carebears there make the worst hackers in CS look like Rhodes Scholars, the Griefers are worse).

I absolutely hate that game. if you think Neocrons form of refund loss is bad, Eve has a 0 refund policy. That means when you lose your Cruiser to a bug, and it will happen, you get 0 recompense. In that game, it literally takes weeks to get there. While there is no levelling treadmill, the money treadmill is worse than anything I've ever come across. Playwise, its EQ in space. Everyone is after the Uber loot and if you even think about fighting, you have to have the Rares to even stand a chance to win. Gotta camp certain mobs out in the middle of nowhere to get anything, and even then the loot table there is so nerfed it makes Neo's look easy.

Travel time there is Timesink #1. It can literall take you HOURS to go anywhere to pick something up. If you start a corp, or are looking to expand yours, good luck as theres not one station left that has free space that is decent. Factory and research slots still get gobbled up, trading is a huge money farm (dominated by those with remote buy orders setup).

Just to give you an idea, a battleship (low end) will cost you ~75m isk (Eve money). Before the loot nerf, a good 3 weeks of fighting NPCs could get you there, if you were smart. Now its more like a month, unless you do a continuous chain spawn (which is mind numbingly boring). Also, at this point, the odds of you losing that battleship within the first 72 hours of owning it are almost 100%.

CkVega
06-08-03, 02:06
So in sumery Helen: You might like it, you might not.
( which is kinda where you were before you started the thread :/ )

Drake6k
06-08-03, 02:22
Originally posted by hivemind
Best.

Mining.

Sim.

EVAR!!!

well said.

I was really hyped about getting EVE online. It has so much going for it. I would find myself mining for an hour and saying 'fuck this' and going into neocron. I did this every day for a week. I didnt find it worth the time. Getting to and from the astroid field is STUPID long. They need the warp system from earth and beyond. Movement also sucks. You cant drive around (like e&b) you click on where you want to move and wait a few seconds. A very very slow game. I got bored.

Pill
06-08-03, 03:24
hell, before i canceled my now reactivated acct, i was big bling rolling on 24's in a gold trim purple caddilac w/ cheeta fur interior until they nerfed arknor and bistot.

boy, that was the biggest downfall of mine ever :/