PDA

View Full Version : Router Problem, How To Connect With?

Kendo Averly
05-08-03, 18:06
I aquired a nice 4 Port Linksys Router, so, obvious question...

Neocron isn't connecting, it gets to 'synchronising' and stays synchronising. What do I need to do to get it to connect to the net? I've tried the suggestions on the main page but I must be doing something amiss? O_o

Please help.

CkVega
05-08-03, 18:25
PM me model number and current config details, I'll see if I can help

/edit don't send me any info on your IP address or open ports

Shujin
05-08-03, 18:28
Originally posted by CkVega
PM me model number and current config details, I'll see if I can help

also give him ur ip number and open ports

Kendo Averly
05-08-03, 18:44
Originally posted by Shujin
also give him ur ip number and open ports

*frowns*

Kugero
05-08-03, 18:51
don't forget to send any checking account or relavent credit card info :)

Hippieman
05-08-03, 18:53
And send me any and all of your Neocron log info so I can rip you off just for the heck of it. ;)

Kendo Averly
05-08-03, 18:57
yes, thanks for the "help"

Hippieman
05-08-03, 19:00
Your welcome. Now wheres my $50 bucks?

d3ik
05-08-03, 19:00
What everyone else meant to say is that you need to open up port 8040 on your router and point it to your neocron pc's ip. Alternately if you want more than one comp on nc at a time, you need to include 'LOCALPORT=XXXX' in neocron.ini (add it to the end), and then open/point that port from the router to the other comp. Hope this helps...

Oh, if you're using a linksys router you should be able to do this by typing in http://192.168.1.1 into your web browser, put admin for the username, no password, and click on 'Forwarding'... also make sure to change the password if you're just setting up the router.

Kendo Averly
05-08-03, 19:07
Originally posted by d3ik
[B]What everyone else meant to say is that you need to open up port 8040 on your router and point it to your neocron pc's ip.

Done that, still synchronising

Alternately if you want more than one comp on nc at a time, you need to include 'LOCALPORT=XXXX' in neocron.ini (add it to the end), and then open/point that port from the router to the other comp. Hope this helps...

Not entirely sure what you mean there, tried what I could, still doesn't seem to help?

d3ik
05-08-03, 19:11
So, just to confirm... you are able to log in, it brings up your char listing for that server, and then you click on the char and it just stays black screen / "Synchronizing"?

Kendo Averly
05-08-03, 19:12
Yup

Spoon
05-08-03, 19:12
Firewall or built in Firewall, perhaps?

Kendo Averly
05-08-03, 19:14
Not using one on the system, the box mentions that the linksys router has a zonealarm firewall, but there's no sign of it anywhere. So I assume it's either disabled, or not on this model of router.

d3ik
05-08-03, 19:15
there is an option under the configuration page (http://192.168.1.1) to configure a 'DMZ Host'. Set that option for the IP of your nc pc. This will, in effect, open that computer up just like it wasn't behind a router.

Kendo Averly
05-08-03, 19:18
Originally posted by d3ik
there is an option under the configuration page (http://192.168.1.1) to configure a 'DMZ Host'. Set that option for the IP of your nc pc. This will, in effect, open that computer up just like it wasn't behind a router.

Well, that doesn't seem to let Neocron work either.

d3ik
05-08-03, 19:53
<-- stumped

being the violent person that I am I would probably flash/update the router's ROM... but first I would just triple check your settings.. simply forwarding the port should do the trick. I would research more indepth the firewall possibility also.

Kendo Averly
05-08-03, 19:54
Updated the firmware before I set it up... hrmph.

Kugero
05-08-03, 23:58
ok here are a couple of things to check assuming you've got normal access to everything else on the internet other than Neocron:

a) try creating another runner and see if it lets you in. If it does then your first runner could be stuck in 'perma-sync' and you should email support@neocron.com or something and ask for them to reset your character. It's happened to me before but it always seems to clear up either over time or after a few logins with an alt.

b) I use a linksys router and did NOT have to enable port forwarding or anything exotic to get neocron to work. Since the PC initiates an outbound connection with the game server you should not have to open up ports or set up port forwarding UNLESS you are trying to run multiple neocron clients on the same internal LAN. I did set the static IP of the neocron game server in neocron.ini but I think that's it.

c) zonealarm is something that the linksys supports if you have zonealarm installed on your PC - if you don't have zonealarm installed then don't worry about it. Just make sure it's unchecked in the linksys admin page. However DO check to make sure you don't have some other software firewall installed on the PC interfering with the connection

d) Sometimes ARP tables get fubar on routers and need to get cleared. Do a complete hardware reset of the linksys router and see if that clears up the problem (you probably have already done this). You can also try changing your private ip address to something else temporarily to see if that clears the problem.

e) try running tracert to the game server IP and see if it fails anywhere along the line. This will also help verify that you are getting out onto the net and that the WAN side of the router is configured properly

f) longshot - check the MTU setting. Read this for a quick how-to:
http://kb.linksys.com/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=228873

type in "mtu setting for linksys router" and select the 2nd article "Determing the proper MTU size"

g) suicide option - if all of the above fails and nobody else's suggestions work then delete and reinstall the game (make sure to save your patch folder some where else - search on this forum for the best how-to on reinstalling the game).

After that if it still doesn't work then the contact somebody at KK for more help or just give in and accept that the Great Gaming God's in the Sky don't want you playing Neocron for some reason.

hope this helps.

Kendo Averly
06-08-03, 00:01
Thanks for all your assistance.

I found if I use the 1.44.2, Dec 13 2002 Firmware, it works fine. The June 23 2003 firmware causes problems.

Ascension
06-08-03, 00:06
Well, I have also just aquired a Router and we have 4 comps connected to it, We have it all setup etc. runing NC but if sum 1 fatals and they log back in the other 3 become out of sync and all runners and mobs disapear so then we have 2 relog:confused:

Any Ideas?

P.s Soz 4 hi-jacking the Thread kendo the problem might be linked

Kugero
06-08-03, 00:24
did you set up each PC with a different port number in the neocron.ini file as suggested? You'll also need to set up the router to forward to each specific port/ip combo since you're sharing 1 public IP address ...

Kendo Averly
06-08-03, 00:48
P.s Soz 4 hi-jacking the Thread kendo the problem might be linked

Not a problem, I only hope that the GMs get a few facts from this and shove them in the FAQ/whatever.

Ascension
06-08-03, 10:55
Originally posted by Kugero
did you set up each PC with a different port number in the neocron.ini file as suggested? You'll also need to set up the router to forward to each specific port/ip combo since you're sharing 1 public IP address ...

Hmm. This is my 1st Exp with a router. Its a ZoomX4 Router and i cant quite work out what ya mean by -> You'll also need to set up the router to forward to each specific port/ip combo --> how i do this? maybe the setting page might be the same as the other router. Just need a direction?

Kugero
06-08-03, 16:48
@Ascention:

Hmm not sure about the Zoom ADSL X4 right? - never used one so I couldn't comment on how to set it up. However, if it's similar to all the other SOHO routers on the market you should be able to enable port forwarding.

assign each neocron client a unique port number in the neocron.ini file (on each client). Log into the admin section of the router and try and find something that allows you to enable or assign port forwarding. According to the product literature the 5551 ADSL X4 does support Port Forwarding.

Take each internal IP addess and the coresponding unique port you assigned it and enter it into the port forwarding table - seperate line entry for each PC. You may have to reboot the router for it to take effect. Scan the manual for a detailed how-to - this is just me guessing on how your router would handle the config.

What you're doing is telling each neocron client to use a seperate port to connect to the game server. when the game server responds to your client request the router knows where to forward the data packet to becuase you've told it "if I get a request to forward traffic on this port (from the public side) then I know to route it to this specific IP address (private side)". Otherwise if all the clients use the same port in neocron.ini (default install config) return requests from the game server get grabbed by the first random PC on the internal LAN - causing sync errors since the traffic you get may not be what the client requested but somebody elses traffic.

get it?

ZardOf
06-08-03, 17:08
check port 25 have a simular prob here at work its the firewall stopping port 25:(

Kugero
06-08-03, 17:31
uh TCP port 25 is the default SMTP port.

shouldn't have anything to do with neocron unless you're waiting on a reply out of game email :)

Lord Cypher
06-08-03, 17:44
I used to have a LinkSYS Router, without any settings on it for Port Fowarding, and DMZ Host I was able to connect to Neocron and play fine.

Currently I have a Cisco Systems ADSL Router, again with no special settings assigned, Neocron works perfectly.

Only thing I can think of is make sure the router IP is '192.168.1.1'
and that the computers connected have the IPs '192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101, etc..' and that they are all using '192.168.1.1' for the Gateway address.

Also, if your doing the IP Address via DHCP (meaning the router assigns IP addresses to your computers), would be the only problem I can think of. So if your dunning DHCP, switch everything over to manual configuration (see above).

Here is the router I'm currently using: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps4866/products_data_sheet09186a008010e5c4.html My brother also has the same type of Router and we have them setup for a VPN connection between the two of us. :cool:

Kugero
06-08-03, 18:22
hey Lord - is that the Cisco 800 ADSL router?

always wanted to take a gander at that - does it run the full IOS or something stripped down?

I'll eventually replace my current Linksys with that or a PIX 501 now that it supports PPPoE :p

/edit: doh - should've just looked at the product sheet

/edit: double doh - that SOHO 97 looks like the one and it rocks! now I just gotta see how much its gunna cost ...