PDA

View Full Version : please help

kin
05-08-03, 08:58
i keep getting this error over and over. i dont know why, but it happens. http://www.waaazup.com/p/uploads/WTF.JPG

FBI
05-08-03, 09:01
I got this the other day, something crashed on my system while
playing NC (not to blame nc) and got that.

Something is causing a system file to close unexpectedly or it's
crashing because of some kind of configuration. Do a virus scan,
adaware scan.

Archeus
05-08-03, 09:03
Update to the latest service packs + patches.

phsoot
05-08-03, 09:04
I got that one last night too O_o
I thought i was getting haxored there for a while.
Maybe the techies got a clue.

FBI
05-08-03, 09:09
Originally posted by phsoot
I got that one last night too O_o
I thought i was getting haxored there for a while.
Maybe the techies got a clue.

thats creepy ... cause i never got it before, in a year or so.

kin
05-08-03, 09:12
Originally posted by Archeus
Update to the latest service packs + patches. you sure?

Archeus
05-08-03, 09:19
Originally posted by kin
you sure?

Yes

ezza
05-08-03, 09:19
yeah i got that the other day as well, first and only time(so far), had to run out of the graves before it shut me down

Psycho_Soldier
05-08-03, 10:00
I just got this also while writing a bunch of idea's down for that 5 things you wish were NC thread and I lost all of it. Really pissed me off because it wouldn't let me copy and paste what I posted into notepad and I dont know why. So I investigated this and went to a few sites I go to for new information. I checked out http://www.hardforum.com/ and found this.

http://microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp

I patched, now I can only hope it fixes it.

phunqe
05-08-03, 10:00
There is a vulnerability in windows RPC (wow, wouldn't have guess it 8|), which basically makes you an open target to hackers if you have your windows machine connected directly to the internet. Often, the RPC service crashes or shuts down.

I have seen in happen live on windows machines while I was randomly checking some network traffic. I could see what the supposed hacker was sending, and it was a part of the exploit for the RPC service. The RPC service reacted in the same way as yours, it shut down. I would guess many attempt are done in the wrong way (i.e wannabe script kids) and the RPC service simply crashes.

I myself would never connect a windows machine directly to the internet, not even with a firewall installed. I only trust physical firewalls, like unix boxes I have set up at home and also at work.

Sometimes I actually wished I wasn't a techie and was unaware of how unsecure a windows machine really is (sure, with firewall program it IS better :)).

phsoot
06-08-03, 00:13
Ok, theres some wird shit going on. Ive got hax0red for the second time today.

I was out a couple of hours visiting some family. when i got back i found my windows messenger open with a full conversation in it. Anyhow i didnt know anyone in the conversation, but it kinda freaked me out..

What the fu** is going on 8| o_O
Im just a unlucky victim on random hax0ring?

Ps: Im watching you swedes, I SAW YA ALL!!

Kugero
06-08-03, 00:19
windows messenging vulnerablity on certain OS's.

as mentioned before RPC hack that basically reboots your machine.

install virus protection software, clean your PC of adware/spyware, get the OS patched up to the latest versions and for all the Win2k/XP people, shut down any non-critical services running on the PC, oh and run NAT between you and the public internet. running your PC on the net with a direct public IP address - only a matter of time before you get hacked.

Shujin
06-08-03, 00:21
that sux, to bad i cant help and im jus spammin

Drake6k
06-08-03, 00:22
Originally posted by Shujin
that sux, to bad i cant help and im jus spammin
yeah :rolleyes:

jernau
06-08-03, 00:22
Originally posted by phunqe
Sometimes I actually wished I wasn't a techie and was unaware of how unsecure a windows machine really is (sure, with firewall program it IS better :)).

Windows isn't the problem - lazy idiots are.

Expose almost any other OS to the amount of inspection and attacks as the Windows environments and it will come off many times worse. As for Linux - don't make me laugh, theory and practise are never further seperated than in a weenie's server.

That said IIS blows monkey chunks security-wise.

IMO though most users can't be trusted with a mail client on their desktop let alone a full-blown web-server. MS's biggest crime is letting people do too much. A trend that many Linux distros are following:rolleyes: .

/edit - on the specifics of RPC - Win2K allows you to completely relocate RPC to a non-standard port if you want - it's seriously non-trivial but it can be done. Unless you are in a domain environment you could even conceivably live without it entirely though I'm not sure I'd recommend that approach.

Arcadius
12-08-03, 01:02
omg iv'e started getting this problem too.

plz help me. What do I do exactly? Can you walk me through it like i'm a 2 yr old?

phsoot
12-08-03, 01:04
Originally posted by Arcadius
omg iv'e started getting this problem too.

plz help me. What do I do exactly? Can you walk me through it like i'm a 2 yr old?

The first step is to admitt that youve been hax0red 8|

Weazle
12-08-03, 03:22
^ ^ What he said :D

Then follow this ;) :

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html

Scikar
12-08-03, 04:34
Originally posted by jernau
on the specifics of RPC - Win2K allows you to completely relocate RPC to a non-standard port if you want - it's seriously non-trivial but it can be done.

How do I do this, would it work and would it affect any of my programs like Neocron? I only have 56k so if there's something I can do to tide me over until I can find the time to download all the stuff I need I'd be grateful.