PDA

View Full Version : Technical question on routers and neocron...

RayBob
04-08-03, 22:24
I noticed something recently when my router died and I was forced to connect my PC directly to my cable modem.

I am now able to log one account off and log another character on instanly. When I was using my gateway router, I always had to wait about a minute whenever I wanted to switch characters (until the first character faded from the Neocron world).

Does anyone have any idea why a router would force me to have this delay in switching characters?

-FN-
04-08-03, 22:42
I'd like to know that too :/

At work I can switch between my PvP and TS alt quickly, but at home, behind my NAT/Firewall box, I have to wait roughly a minute between switching accounts because trying to login again too fast results in an endless synch.

Kugero
04-08-03, 23:08
it's possible the router was taking longer to close the open connection with the game server.

my best guess - when you log out the client sends a disconnect to the server. Since you NAT through the router it maintains an open connection with the game servers for a bit longer than your PC would with a direct public IP address. The game server thinks you're still connected so it kicks you back when you try to log on an alt too quickly.

Now that you're connected directly, your PC closes the TCP pipe quicker so you can log back in (an alt) without waiting as long ...

Eddie
04-08-03, 23:09
Yup. Me too. Do share with us....

Maybe (I'm guessing) packets aren't routed properly?

I've got LOCALHOST set in my neocron.ini.. and am forwarding that port alone. Maybe some other port forwards are necessary?

Eddie

RayBob
05-08-03, 01:09
Originally posted by Kugero
it's possible the router was taking longer to close the open connection with the game server.

my best guess - when you log out the client sends a disconnect to the server. Since you NAT through the router it maintains an open connection with the game servers for a bit longer than your PC would with a direct public IP address. The game server thinks you're still connected so it kicks you back when you try to log on an alt too quickly.

Now that you're connected directly, your PC closes the TCP pipe quicker so you can log back in (an alt) without waiting as long ...

I think you nailed it. Is there any way to change some setting on the router to force it to close the connection faster?

Kugero
05-08-03, 02:17
well on most SOHO routers you really don't have much control over the embedded IOS so you probably can't (short of a hard/soft reboot). I'm not sure if it's just related to lousy port management or a hardware horsepower issue ...

You might be able to just unplug the CAT5 cable running from the WAN side of the router to the high speed modem - this might accelerate the router disconnect without having to wait around for the entire IOS to come back up. simple enough and worth a try I guess ...

RayBob
05-08-03, 23:14
There must be a simple script that I can use to force a port to close. Can anyone help?