PDA

View Full Version : A PLAYER’S RETURN: thoughts on Neocron after other MMORPGs.

Mantus
04-08-03, 20:47
Well after a trip around the MMORPG block I decided to come back to Neocron.

I learned quite allot while playing other game: we are all a little to harsh on Neocron. Neocron was the second MMORPG I have ever played. So I was pretty new to these types of games and perhaps expected a bit too much form such a new game and small company. In the past five months I have played countless MMORPGs. Asheron’s Call 2, Ragnarok Online, Helbreath, Dragon Raja, Lineage, Anarchy Online and some free online games as well. None even come close to the quality of Neocron.

Allot of games have bugs and unbalanced systems. Games such as Anarchy Online, which is actually two years older then Neocron still has allot of bugs. Every single MMORPG out there has terrible lag, yes people EVERY MMORPG game has terrible lag. Most companies have awful customer service. The companies who run Ragnarok or Helbreath don’t even care about peoples complaints. Most companies are incredibly slow in their service. When I had an account problem KK’s tech support people got back to me within a day and when I stopped responding send me an e-mail to ask if I still required their help. While with a company like Active, I am still waiting for a response to four of my e-mails a month later.

I found out that if there was any part of Neocron that bothered me there are countless games where things are way worse. What’s more these game are actually popular. Take Lineage, the most popular MMORPG in the world. Its 2d engine lags my 128meg GeForce4 and every time you take a step the screen jerks to follow the movements of your avatar. Its fucking unbelievable. Yet people play this game…

As far as game play goes Neocron can’t be beat. No amount of loot and quests can make a game fun. They add to it, but only in a minor way. What makes a game fun is the interaction with other people. Players cant be replaced by NPCs or by MOBs and no mission/quest will ever be as fun as an OP war. Oh sure there are games like Everquest or Ragnarok where you can level for eternity. But would you want too? The MOBs in Neocron arnt the best, in fact they can use quite a bit of work but that really doesn’t matter because the real challenge comes from the players.

Considering Rakktors small size and their small customer base and therefore income they are absolutely the best company behind an MMORPG I have ever seen. I think the Neocron is a great game as it is, and has potential to be WAY above anything else out there. Yet Neocron hasn’t really grown in the five month I was away. I really think that allot of the players are way too harsh on this game. I have to admit I was guilty negativity towards KK as well. When I first started this game. I never contributed anything good to the forum. I helped out a few newbies with simple answers but that’s about it. On the other hand I did make quite a few bitchy posts stating how unsatisfied I was.

In the end it’s us who potential players listen too. Negativity is contagious. A company such as KK doesn’t have money for a huge advertising budget. Has any one heard of Starwars Galaxies? Of course, the damn adds are burned into my retinas just because I see them on every single Gamming site I visit. For a game like Neocron, its us the fans that can make or break this game. Remember Counter Strike was never advertised yet it’s the biggest game ever. So never doubt the power of your opinions.

I know Neocron is the best MMORPG out there I just hope that it grows into something bigger because it has so much potential. Ill try to contribute as much as I can to the game. Starting with this post.

Cheers :D

bounty
04-08-03, 20:54
I've said this from day one as well, couldn't agree with you more. You realize just how lame the genre can be after being spoiled with how exciting neocron can be. There are definite flaws and i've come to realize that it is mainly the publisher's flaw and due to a current lack of capitol (also the publisher's fault imo, not KK). But with that aside, after playing some bad mmorpgs, the minor flaws that come with neocron are very tolerable.

edit: you are far from the only one that will be coming back.

alig
04-08-03, 21:29
I'll say why nc pisses me off....u may find it stupid, who knows and i dont care either;) but the only other RPG ive played was Final Fantasy 7 thru to 10 all the way thru each of em at least twice for each one except FF10(damn hard boss at end:()and they are flawless and fun to play even if they are Offline RPG's...so there u go my reason to bitch kk :lol: :D

:angel:

/edit....still tho kk hav me wrapped around there middle finger even tho the game can/does get extremely annoying at times _especially_ cuz i play Uranus :( still its ace to play and i think my money was well spent, not sure wot keeps me tho:confused: the ppl u meet or the game or both or the anticipation for D-o-muthafukin-Y

Lethys
04-08-03, 21:32
The only other MMOs i've played are:

Phantasy Star Online (Xbox Live): Brilliant, but got bored after the 2 month free trial :lol:

Ragnarok Online: Again, was good to play for free, but then beta ended, and if they think I'm actually gonna pay for that boring carebear game, then........... :rolleyes:

enablerbr
04-08-03, 21:34
how can you call Ragnarok Online carebear. you get to bash and slaughter cute look mobs.:D

Talios
04-08-03, 21:42
I agree... neocron is by far the best online RPG I have ever played. I have played many online games like Anarchy Online, Mankind, Eve (big dissapointment) and Star Wars Galaxies ( a even bigger dissapointment.

You cant even compare offline games with online games... they are two totally different animals.

alig
04-08-03, 21:44
Oh yeah almost forgot this.....u _have_ to wear these for 1 week so the main man says, MJS!!.....

http://www.smalltimerivalry.com/sschost/alig/2778174_F_store.jpg

http://www.smalltimerivalry.com/sschost/alig/6608575_F_store.jpg

:rolleyes:

Mantus
04-08-03, 21:54
Only if they have them in pink :rolleyes:

Tregard
04-08-03, 22:24
Originally posted by Mantus
Only if they have them in pink :rolleyes:

Well a little bit of red dye will fix that :D

/me thinks pink thong would be awesome!

enablerbr
04-08-03, 22:27
Originally posted by Tregard
Well a little bit of red dye will fix that :D

/me thinks pink thong would be awesome!

only if it's pure silk.

Forget My Name
04-08-03, 22:32
Nah, fiber glass all teh way....

Tregard
04-08-03, 22:39
Originally posted by enablerbr
only if it's pure silk.

mmmmmmm......a pink silk NC thong :o

excuse me for a little while ;)

KuifJe
09-04-04, 13:20
snip...
In the past five months I have played countless MMORPGs. Asheron’s Call 2, Ragnarok Online, Helbreath, Dragon Raja, Lineage, Anarchy Online and some free online games as well. None even come close to the quality of Neocron
snip...

Ur basing ur whole story on 5 months of playing other MMO's, 6 in total. Either u've been playing 24/7 or u never got into any of those games for real.

Neocron isnt the worst out there I agree, but there are better games. Content being a major factor. I'm not complaining about bugs in NC, or lag, it's game content thats lacking in NC and its been out for 2,5 years now. No content = kill the game.

Stigmata
09-04-04, 13:27
Ur basing ur whole story on 5 months of playing other MMO's, 6 in total. Either u've been playing 24/7 or u never got into any of those games for real.

Neocron isnt the worst out there I agree, but there are better games. Content being a major factor. I'm not complaining about bugs in NC, or lag, it's game content thats lacking in NC and its been out for 2,5 years now. No content = kill the game.

you living in an imaginary world or what ?

NC was launched in october 2002, that is exactly 19 months.

i agree in the comment about 5 months not being long enough to evaluate all those games

olavski
09-04-04, 13:54
Been out for like 6 months or so ... and came back.

Played SWG (did not like it) and Daoc for a few months.
Although daoc seems to have good customer support, i just hate the combatsystem, the interface and many more things. Content is quite good tho.

I like Neocron as i liked it in the beginning, an active clan can do miracles. :)

Still the best MMO i played so far.

Saza
09-04-04, 14:08
N-TACBTM

Neocrack - They Always Come BackTM

:rolleyes:

Sleawer
09-04-04, 14:20
[edit - might be cool if idiots stopped bumping threads]

ezza
09-04-04, 14:59
another ancient thread bump

johngreen2000
09-04-04, 15:26
Well after a trip around the MMORPG block I decided to come back to Neocron.

I learned quite allot while playing other game: we are all a little to harsh on Neocron. Neocron was the second MMORPG I have ever played. So I was pretty new to these types of games and perhaps expected a bit too much form such a new game and small company. In the past five months I have played countless MMORPGs. Asheron’s Call 2, Ragnarok Online, Helbreath, Dragon Raja, Lineage, Anarchy Online and some free online games as well. None even come close to the quality of Neocron.

Allot of games have bugs and unbalanced systems. Games such as Anarchy Online, which is actually two years older then Neocron still has allot of bugs. Every single MMORPG out there has terrible lag, yes people EVERY MMORPG game has terrible lag. Most companies have awful customer service. The companies who run Ragnarok or Helbreath don’t even care about peoples complaints. Most companies are incredibly slow in their service. When I had an account problem KK’s tech support people got back to me within a day and when I stopped responding send me an e-mail to ask if I still required their help. While with a company like Active, I am still waiting for a response to four of my e-mails a month later.

I found out that if there was any part of Neocron that bothered me there are countless games where things are way worse. What’s more these game are actually popular. Take Lineage, the most popular MMORPG in the world. Its 2d engine lags my 128meg GeForce4 and every time you take a step the screen jerks to follow the movements of your avatar. Its fucking unbelievable. Yet people play this game…

As far as game play goes Neocron can’t be beat. No amount of loot and quests can make a game fun. They add to it, but only in a minor way. What makes a game fun is the interaction with other people. Players cant be replaced by NPCs or by MOBs and no mission/quest will ever be as fun as an OP war. Oh sure there are games like Everquest or Ragnarok where you can level for eternity. But would you want too? The MOBs in Neocron arnt the best, in fact they can use quite a bit of work but that really doesn’t matter because the real challenge comes from the players.

Considering Rakktors small size and their small customer base and therefore income they are absolutely the best company behind an MMORPG I have ever seen. I think the Neocron is a great game as it is, and has potential to be WAY above anything else out there. Yet Neocron hasn’t really grown in the five month I was away. I really think that allot of the players are way too harsh on this game. I have to admit I was guilty negativity towards KK as well. When I first started this game. I never contributed anything good to the forum. I helped out a few newbies with simple answers but that’s about it. On the other hand I did make quite a few bitchy posts stating how unsatisfied I was.

In the end it’s us who potential players listen too. Negativity is contagious. A company such as KK doesn’t have money for a huge advertising budget. Has any one heard of Starwars Galaxies? Of course, the damn adds are burned into my retinas just because I see them on every single Gamming site I visit. For a game like Neocron, its us the fans that can make or break this game. Remember Counter Strike was never advertised yet it’s the biggest game ever. So never doubt the power of your opinions.

I know Neocron is the best MMORPG out there I just hope that it grows into something bigger because it has so much potential. Ill try to contribute as much as I can to the game. Starting with this post.

Cheers :D

My view is a bit diffrent. Ive play UO, EQ, AC, AC2, DAoC, SB, Darkness Falls(online beta text mud) dragons gate(another beta text mud) and im sure im forgetting some oh and horizons. None and I mean none had as many bugs or crashes as Neocron does. UO around 97-98 was really laggy and you lost connection alot, but you know what the developer got off there ass and fixed the netcode and it became near flawless(not including personal isp problems). Sure UO had its bugs but most got fixed within a week if it was major. I only play EQ for around a month but you know what I could play hours on end without crashing, same with AC. DAoC...I played about 2-3 month I never saw a bug personally. If I did it was so minor I can really remember it. I can go on and on about other game and how much better than stability is. I never got into anarchy online which I did hear was buggy as hell, and a few of the other games that were buggy so I cant comment on those.

You know shortly after retail I notice a bug in the rpos where when I hit f5 and have my stats pop up 1/2 the time I click on a stat it closes the rpos down then another 1/2 the time it goes to the wrong stat. So I got about a 1/4 chance of getting it to go where I want it to each time I try...this simple simple bug is still there today. What about the "box exploit"its been in since retail at the very least. You mean they cant figure out how to get you character to work properly on boxes. Or I wont get started on drones..there are simply tooo many problems with drones to start naming them..most are minor but they are there.

Not every game out there has terrible lag, if you got a cable modem, dls or equivalent then most games will run fine barring isp problems on your side. Noecron on the other hand doesnt matter how well your bandwidth is your screwed, especially sunday afternoon on saturday, its a fucking pattern that is turning out the be as accurate as the tides changing or the moon phases. Oh look its Sunday 10:29 am we got about 23 minutes before our spells dont cast properly and we lag to death.

On a final note I bash neocron pretty badly. I love neocron and agree its one of the better if not best out there game play wise and player interaction wise. But the cold hard facts are...they have shitty service. And im not talking about GM service or customer service(they are par or better in those fields, ive had email responded to without hours of me sending them/when gms are on they respond quiet quickly as well)but there system is not what is should be.

THE_TICK!!!!
09-04-04, 16:37
well here goes..i LOVE neocron..its my third online game and its quite nice...ive played for quite a while now..in a couple different countrys..and its funny..i hardly ever bugged..yea yea i hear ya..i got the APU/PE bug and occasionally crashed..but once i straightend out my puter and isp.. i had little to no problems. I personaly think KK is working hard to make this better and its our responsibility to help out in anyway we can. Bugs and what not should be addressed by the clientel. KK should be made aware of it..im sure the ARE aware of it..but you have to remember the BIG picture. one thing affects the other so on so forth. As far as content is concerned DOY is goin to be great and exciting..but i warn you in advance.. to much content to quick will kill a game as fast or faster than not enough. well there is my peice have a good day!

olavski
09-04-04, 19:31
doh, now i see, it's an old thread.

Why did you bump it Kuifje? Because you left NC again for Daoc? Or the other way around? :D

You'll be back anyway :p

joran420
09-04-04, 20:01
wtf??? old thread? its from yesterday

and yes i agree :) I played EQ for 2 and 1/2 years, I played DaoC for 2.5 months, I played SWG for 3 months, I played AO for 7 days and they all suck next to neocron

I remember EQ crashing on me at least once a week and it takes like 20 mins to get back in game on that....so yeah i crash more but it takes 20 secs to get back in game in neocron so its more like a lil hiccup to gameplay(still wish they would fix it) and its not really a gamestopper(less it happens in the middle of a fight, which it never has happened to me in 1 year and a half)

SO YEAH NEOCRON > ALL.....no amount of content can replace the rush of a good OP war

olavski
09-04-04, 20:07
wtf??? old thread? its from yesterday

Might be my eye implant but the thread started 04-08-03 :confused:

Glok
09-04-04, 20:37
This thread is 8 months old, and all but 3 of the original posters in this thread are MIA, probably quit.

edit: I guess that's only half of them.. meh.

joran420
09-04-04, 21:00
oh oops

Rai Wong
09-04-04, 21:45
Well you should keep in mind that people have different views. In my own view Neocron is lacking in these areas pvp is great but limited cause there are not enoough players, and apart from PP1 and the occasional op fight and NF where else can we pvp?

* Places to explore and hunt

* Character Customization

* Content

* Stability

While I admit other games are not completely stable either or bugless, Neocron's stability is near unplayable people like me can bear crashing every 20 minutes or getting stuck in zoning. I mean in what other games do you get stuck in zoning...

Everyone at the high end looks "exatcly the same" with no customisation and even less after PA, there is also a serious lack of content as high level players literrally have nothing to do but do the occasional pvp. leveling is reduced to farming in aggies and MB which frankly compared to other games its quite bad the AI is crap and PVP is where Neocron really shines.

For the rest of us who like to hunt and explore the world apart from the occasional lets all get killed in the deserts of DOY there really is nothing interesting in the world, once you're about 4-6 months into the game you've seen it all. Most other games e.g everquest and anarchy online 2 years you've seen nothing yet.

PVP is where Neocron truly shines and people who play neocron usually like it for the PVP, hence the bias agreement that all the other MMORPGs suck, which in fact they obviously don't because we have saturn on 300 players and even AO would have 800-1000 players on non peak times. The biased agreement is based on the fact that all the other MMORPG don't support good PVP in the FPS sense, but while they lack that they make up for it by being better then neocron in nearly every other area.

Vithar
09-04-04, 22:47
Do not bump old threads.

Thread closed.

Vithar