PDA

View Full Version : Research speeds

PaulVinten
03-08-03, 21:57
Look. I'm getting sick of this. Leveling a tradeskill by doing that skill SUCKS ASS. A) Cos of the absolutely SHIT xp, and specially for researchers, the obscenely stupidly long time it takes to do. I can understand construction taking a while, but researching in many cases takes as long as 4-5 times as long then to const it. Damnit KK, sort out the XP gain!

John.nl
03-08-03, 22:32
Hear hear!

Offering researching at plaza is just not worth the xp effort.
I find myself researching only for friends upon request since a while.

Anyone actually enjoying the art of researching?

ex-machina
03-08-03, 23:54
does it take longer to build a snapfit piece of furniture with a clear plan, or to disassemble a fully constructed one and write down a plan for assembling it?

HellHound
03-08-03, 23:57
Originally posted by ex-machina
does it take longer to build a snapfit piece of furniture with a clear plan, or to disassemble a fully constructed one and write down a plan for assembling it?

Try constructing a piece of furniture in less than a second, which is how construction works at high skill levels... where researching still takes time!

I haven't verified it myself, but does skill actually make any difference on research times?

John.nl
03-08-03, 23:59

Nope, just about as long as a remote implant.

Mumblyfish
04-08-03, 00:10

Okay then, that makes sense. But what about duping BPs? Why does it take longer to "build a snapfit piece of furniture" than it does to run a "plan" through the photocopier 50 times?

ex-machina
04-08-03, 01:05
Originally posted by John.nl
Nope, just about as long as a remote implant.

erm it wasn't a yes - no question O_o

and dude - you can dupe BPs? Just as well I know that now - I rolled a researcher yesterday lol

KidWithStick
04-08-03, 01:07
erm it wasn't a yes - no question O_o

and dude - you can dupe BPs? Just as well I know that now - I rolled a researcher yesterday lol

not anymore...thats why they make the time longer and not allow you to click 'start' alot real fast...thats why the window jumps all over.

HellHound
04-08-03, 01:09
Nah, they mean you can research from a bp instead of an item - which you can still do, can't you? o_O

Eddie
04-08-03, 02:39
Well.. IMO researching from objects should be long.. whilst researching (copying) BPs should be mega quick.

This would allow bulk copies to be err.. copied.. in no time at all.. whilst the "one-off" jobs wouldn't be affected too much.

Eddie

enablerbr
04-08-03, 02:44
BTW folks if research has now been made longer. then they can remove the research substance then. cause that was the OG for it. so if slow, RS should go.

yes you can still make a BP of a BP.

KidWithStick
04-08-03, 02:55
they should also make it so that the TL of a blueprint is really tl30 instead of whatever the TL of the item was..

Mantus
04-08-03, 03:03
Originally posted by Eddie
Well.. IMO researching from objects should be long.. whilst researching (copying) BPs should be mega quick.

This would allow bulk copies to be err.. copied.. in no time at all.. whilst the "one-off" jobs wouldn't be affected too much.

Eddie

Eddie, thats a damn fine suggestion

Arcadius
04-08-03, 03:18

Disassemble and reassembling it? Interesting...........so researchers by nature should be able to construct just as well also then right?

ex-machina
04-08-03, 03:21
Originally posted by Arcadius
Disassemble and reassembling it? Interesting...........so researchers by nature should be able to construct just as well also then right?

no i said disassembling it and writing down a plan for how it was assembled.

Arcadius
04-08-03, 03:23
no i said disassembling it and writing down a plan for how it was assembled.

Yes but the researcher doesn't give it back to the person disassembled.

ex-machina
04-08-03, 03:26
then it should take even longer, the dude has to research the thing without pulling it apart.

Cass
04-08-03, 05:03
Originally posted by KidWithStick
they should also make it so that the TL of a blueprint is really tl30 instead of whatever the TL of the item was..

No, cuz the XP could only be shit. But they should have accurate label numbers on BP's instead of them all saying 30. Even TL1 BP's say 30. Lame.

They also need to give us SOME DEX XP for researching. CST's get INT, DEX and STR XP. We get INT XP only, and it's crappy at that. (10k XP for a TL95, which costs us 1000+ in research substance). 10k is fine when you're somewhere around 60-70 INT but after that it's peanuts. The ONLY way to make that XP worthwhile is by sitting yourself in a corner with a stack of cubes and RS, keep clicking "start" while reading a book / watching TV or something. Is that how this game is supposed to be?

The research times (obviously) go down the higher your skill. They should also lessen the amount of RS used based on your skill. Ever do any of the "hard" research missions? The money reward is 1600cr. If you don't fail on any of the cubes, you use about 1100 in substance. Yippee! I made 500 cr! Maybe!

da_zero0
04-08-03, 05:15
Anyone actually enjoying the art of researching?

res is boring :/

and more exp. gain would be good !

IceStorm
04-08-03, 07:29
With Construction Boost 1 and my imps, I have 132 construction and 110 research.

Researching even a TL 5 item nets me a liittle INT XP. It may be only 20 or 40 points, but when you're doing 1000 parts, it adds up.

Constructing anything below, say, TL50, nets me no XP (or a fractional point).

If being slower means I still get my XP, then keep it slower by all means.