PDA

View Full Version : Important Community Notices Merged

Laemin
02-02-03, 11:33
Alright folks, its your friendly GM Laemin here with a simple word of advice for you all. To most this will come as a statement of the obvious, but it has been brought to my attention that to some the following facts have not yet sunk in, so here goes:

Lets make up a fictional runner, John Q Gameplayer. He owns a Wyatt Earp pistol which he was able to find the tech parts for and get constructed. After some time his gun becomes heavily damaged and needs repairing. But John does not have the ability to repair it himself.

Hence, John takes a trip over to Plaza 1. There he broadcasts that he requires a high level repairer (as so many people do) on zone. He gets a reply from runner 'Sneaky Thief'. Sneaky says of course he will repair the gun for a cost of 1000 nc, payable when the job is done. John agrees, opens a trade window and passes the gun to Sneaky. John figures that this will only take a moment, and checks out what else is being said on zone chat. When he finishes reading the chat, he looks up to see Sneaky running away at full speed.

Scratching his head, John writes a direct message over to Sneaky asking what the problem is. Sneaky actually replies yelling stuff like 'Thanks for the free gun you IDIOT' and other less savoury comments and is never heard from again.

Sound familiar to any of you? The same applies to research and construction as well. If you're going to hand things over to another player, take the time to think about who you're giving it to and what you're giving over. The guy who's got the best construction skills isn't necessarily the best guy to give those tech parts to a Cursed Soul to.

As in real life, people can be evil and cheat you. Let the Buyer Beware still applies in Neocron. The game allows you to take on a virtual persona, either good or bad, helpful or harmful. So if someone chooses to be a con-artist, thats their choice. And if you are the guy who gets conned, guess what happens? You lose out.

So please realise that if you're not careful and you get conned like this, you have 3 choices.

1. Cry about it. Pro's: makes you feel better. Con's: nothing else will happen.
2. Learn from this mistake and never deal with that guy again: Pros: You've become a better person. Con's: The guy got away with it.
3. Offer a nice bounty on a bunch of chat channels: Pro's: You will get revenge. Con's: will cost you more.

But thats it, I'm sorry to say that despite my rugged tin can appearance, amazing powers of invisibility and speed, I cannot force an evil player to be good and give your stuff back. So when it comes to this, watch your wallets and your gear.

Nidhogg
03-07-03, 19:13
Just merging a few of the stickies to clear up some room.

Posted by MoonUnit
There was an incident where a player gave out his account details to someone who claimed to be a Gamemaster via the ingame Custom help channel. Needless to say this was a ruse by a player to cause all sorts of mischief, however now they are enjoying the benefits of a permanent ban from the game and a 1.2 gig desktop Icon.

Some facts:-

1) No KK employee, GM (ISS, ISW, ECT, QA, PR or CO) or Mod will ever ask for user details. The tools we have at our disposal for addressing ingame situations do not require them.

2) The custom chat help channel is a Player 2 Player help channel. GMs may monitor it, but the Support request tool is the primary means of contacting the support staff (I will make a request that the channel name is changed in light of this incident).

Keep it secret, keep it safe

Moonunit

Nidhogg
03-07-03, 19:14
Posted by Odin
Since people have forgotten how to properly file character complaints this post will give a quick refresher on how to properly do so.

If a player is verbally harrassing in zone/local etc on a consistent basis or using untolerable language then please email us with screens to abuse@neocron.com

If you are highly sure that something isn't right with a character then you can email exploits@neocron.com or better yet use the private message feature to send me reports. Please make these as detailed as possible and try to include screens where valid.

Any other way will probably result in your report not getting the attention it deserves. Also note that one report doesn't mean we will instantly turn around and ban said person. We need a few reports (and that doesn't mean getting your clan buddies to email them in for you to) before we can commit the man hours to it.

Also note that posting about such behaviour on the forums is NOT permitted. 60-70% of the time the player is clean which means you are just harrassing them in the end. Not to mention if the player isn't clean all you do is tip them off.

Nidhogg
03-07-03, 19:17
Posted by Danae
An Unofficial IRC Help Channel is available at:

irc.enterthegame.com
#cronhelp

Just type !help and a brief description of the problem you are encountering and be patient. If you get no response, feel free to msg anyone who has @ or + in front of their nickname. Some people in that channel have been assisting folks since Beta2, and some are GM's.

If you need help with IRC please feel free to private message me. You can download an IRC client at www.mirc.com/download

OR

You can connect to irc.enterthegame.com via the www.neocrononline.com webchat feature. When you join IRC via www.neocrononline.com 's webchat feature you automatically join #neocron, just type: /part #neocron and /join #cronhelp for assistance.

If you need anything don't hesitate to ask

Jolene
aka. Danae

PS. If you are reading this and are interested in helping please consult this thread (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?threadid=42903).

Ragnarok
05-07-03, 00:18
I hear people saying "I've emptied my PM box but the Forum keeps telling me it's full!".

Solution?

In addition to deleting the PMs you've recieved, you must _also_ delete the PMs in your "sent items" folder (You can access it via a drop-down menu on the PM screen, said menu is named "Jump To" with the name/names of the folder/folders next to it).

-Ragnarok

Nidhogg
09-07-03, 17:32
The NCPD uses the Private Message system to communicate important information to individuals. Examples include: Official warnings
Signature change requests
Signature removal noticesFull PM boxes or unread messages are not grounds for delaying a moderator's decision so it is in your best interests to ensure that you:

a) Have sufficient space available in your PM box to receive messages (see Ragnarok's post above if you are experiencing problems in this regard), and
b) Check and read your PMs at regular intervals. It is advisable to check the option to have new PM's pop up whenever they are received.

Thanks

N

Odin
27-07-03, 21:43
Please note that use of 3rd party programs are at your own risk. Many of these programs can have hidden issues within them such as keysniffing. All too commonly people have lost control of their accounts after downloading such programs as they've stolen your account information. So please remember that use of these programs is at your own risk and that you should fully check around for the validity of any program.

Callash
28-07-03, 03:30
As I keep getting more and more messages on all media about this topic, here it is for everone:

To contact me, your best bet is to write me an email at callash@neocron.com
Like I said earlier, as I may not always answer to everything, rest assured that I read everything :cool:

A forum PM will do either, if necessary. I do prefer an email though, as those make it easier for me to organize everything.

Please do not even bother with ingame Mails (well, nobody can stop you that is, but with those, even reading all of them may be questionable, let alone answering), as due to my work, I frequently have to delete my character, which always wipes my mails. :eek:

Callash
29-07-03, 23:17
When contacting me, please note the following: You can send me questions and comments, positive and negative criticism about the ingame content and the storyline. However, support calls or other non-content related stuff is NOT to be sent directly to me, dont expect any help there. Use the official support email adresses. Thanks. :rolleyes:

Nidhogg
15-09-03, 12:56
May I remind you that passing on messages from banned users (whether on the forums or by PM) is a bannable offence.

N

Nidhogg
17-10-03, 14:54
Leaving threads allow people to indicate that they are no longer playing Neocron; a job difficult to do by PM or by in-game methods alone. We hate to see them of course, since they mean that friends are leaving or that issues with the game are serious enough to put some people off playing. Also, they are bad publicity.

Out of the 64 people who posted leaving threads in the last 100 days, 45 of them (>70%) continued to post on the forums. Two people posted more than one leaving thread yet are still around. We've also noticed an increase in posts such as:
Not that I really give a shit, I quit months ago. Its just my take on the whole ridiculous situation.As our older members will be aware, after a community poll we agreed that the forums should be restricted to paying customers only to cut down on spamming/trolling by ex-users. However, since account cancellation does not currently de-register the user's forum account we have essentially got back to the situation we were in before we went customer only.

The following changes are therefore to be made:
From this point forward, all leaving threads or posts indicating that the poster is leaving or has left will result in the immediate de-registration of that forum user's account. Moderator's judgement will be used in gray areas and users are reminded that the moderator's word is final.
KK are to automate the de-registration of forum accounts upon game cancellation (this to be implemented over the next few weeks). Manual de-registration will stop when this new mechanism is in place and plenty of notice will be given in advance.
We did not feel that it would be fair to de-register people who have already posted leaving threads however we reserve the right to immediately de-register accounts for people who have returned to break the forum rules.
De-registration does not mean a ban. It merely excludes the user from the customer-restricted parts of the forum (all boards except Newbie Talk and Forum Bugs). Newbie Talk will be monitored closely for de-registered users and any non-newbie threads will be deleted.

N

Odin
20-11-03, 01:06
If you are using a hotmail account or ANY email account that gives you the option of using a secret word to retrieve passwords (ie: What's your pets name etc) please change your account emails over to an account that doesn't ask for secret words. Or at the very least give very oddball answers (ie: Q: What's your mother's maiden name? A: Albert Einstein).

The reason we ask you to do this is that we are encountering certain individuals who are gaining people's trust and during conversations asking for their emails and then later on prodding them in conversations for clues as to the answer without the user realizing it. They then get the passwords for your accounts and log in and either remove all items or outright delete the characters.

Fenris
04-12-03, 11:26
translation of Callash post.

After the Kamikaze-chip fiasco I had hopes that this wouldn't happen again but evidently I was wrong. There are some runners that are still exploiting without a second thought to get into closed areas.

Yes, exploiting. Are you realising that? Do you realise that the fence around Regents Legacy isn't an obstacle to get over? Do you realise that we didn't close OZ8 for you to seep in through cracks and then complaint that there is nothing there? Do you realise, that the wall in front of the ConCenter on the Testserver isn't meant as as an invitation to go in? And finally: Are you realising that crossing barriers is exploiting and should be punished as such?

Please realise, we don't put up barriers to tease you or to keep something from you. We put up barriers for 3 reasons:

1) danger of exploiting
2) bugs, and
3) surprise.

So there is no reason for any player to be in these areas. Especially in the last case, it is stupid and unfair to exploit into these zones, make a lot of screens and to post them on the forum. Apart from the "Look, I have exploited" effect, you will cut yourself. On one side there are complains about boredom and that there is nothing new in the game and that you've seen it all on the other hand every form of surprise is ruthlessly destroyed. We planed to enable the access to the ConCenter after the retail patch in form of a Diamond Real Estate release party and during this party the new ConCenter would have been offically opened. We will do the release party anyway but the surprise is gone. With this behavior you are damaging me, the Counsellor Tabhita Patten (who is really working very hard, I have to mention) and ultimatly yourself, because you ensure that there will be no variety in your runner lives.

Try not search the whole appartment this year for yor presents two weeks before Christmas, keep away from the barriers in NC and if you can't stand the temptation then try not to get caught and don't post your results on the forum. Thanks.

Nidhogg
04-12-03, 12:54
Might I add that anyone posting screenshots or describing areas they are not legally able to witness will be banned from the forums immediately. You have no excuses.

N

Callash
27-12-03, 16:28
Not only concerning Arbiters Event (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85797) is why I am addressing you. Some people seem to have forgotten the rules along with the most common human friendlyness guidelines.

PvP is a core element of the game. PK is not and will never be forbidden entirely. BUT if a GM or KK employee does an Event with the rule "No PvP", then you will follow it. End of story. Those who didn't at the Event yesterday will get a warning resulting in an immediate Ban an the slightest next provocation.

You will always do what a GM tells you. If you can absolutely not tolerate the thought to follow the guidelines an official gives you, then press Escape and log out until the entire situation is resolved. If you think the GM is "out of line", then report him to abuse@neocron.com or helpdesk@neocron.com. We take these issues pretty seriously, believe me.

So again: You will do what a GM tells you to do, no questions asked. Log out and report him if you think his orders are crap, but you will follow his decisions. Period.

PS: The old "postapocalyptic cyberpunk world" is the worst excuse I have ever heard. True, Neocron is one of these worlds. And this is exactly the reason why PK is not forbidden. But if a GM hosts an OOC Event with the rule "No PvP", you know pretty well that it is not expected nor tolerated that you raid it. So stop making up excuses, ffs.

Odin
29-02-04, 01:14
Anyone posting unfounded accusations against mods/GM's or KK staff will receive a one week ban effective immediately. Second offenses will result in posting privileges being revoked. The amount of frivolous, unbased, unfounded, heard from a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend comments has gotten to be too much of an annoyance. These volunteer mods and gm's work anywhere from 6-10 hours of their day on a volunteer status and don't need the bs that comes from those that hold grudges during the course of their work.

Any complaints about GM's/mods etc can be filed either through PM with myself or via abuse@neocron.com and will be dealt with internally as it always has been.

Daishi
18-06-04, 08:21
Hi,

the persistent mail flood to Abuse@neocron.com, forces me to create this post.

Neocron is not the right medium to vent your frustration at other players. Things like these, do NOT belong ingame. Especially insults to other players have exceeded the acceptable limit. I had to witness swear words and insults, I wasn’t even aware they existed.
This can NOT go on. The GMs will be instructed to inspect the ingame chat closely. If players are caught abusing others, they will receive some time off. The same procedure applies to “Abuse mails”.

Please be reminded; this is not a soccer stadium or school. I am sure you can find another way of anger management, because this game is NOT the right place!