PDA

View Full Version : more bandwidth for gameplay

Mr Friendly
30-06-03, 20:09
ok, i heard it a while back when i was also first being shown the RPOS color editor, but anyway.......

the file itself is here: \neocron\ini\net.ini

the option im talkin about in this file is: "//maximum bandwidth for each client"

now, the default for this is "set net_maxclientbw 3000", which is set to that for modem users. SO, im asking if anyone knows what the number is for 300mb cable........somthin like 7000?

mods, u guys would really help also btw

Sunab_Naverith
30-06-03, 20:14
Yes, someone post an answer to this! I remember near the end of last year, someone saying how he "tweaked" his net.ini file, and all of a sudden his lag DISAPPEARED!!! He had virtually NO synch/lag errors from then on out, but I don't remember what he did at the time :(. Can a mod/dev help with this plz?

Heavyporker
30-06-03, 20:15
Uh... I don't know much about this stuff, but maybe it has to be set that way for everyone, so nobody pulls more bandwidth from the server?

As I said, I don't know much about this thing. 3000 sounds like 3kb a second, which, yeah might be for modem users, but if I remember correctly, the game server sends out what, 2 or 3 kb a second to each client, positional data and all that, so what point really, to upping bandwidth? More bandwidth wouldn't help, really, if the data being transferred is using less room than the bandwidth offers.

Sunab_Naverith
30-06-03, 20:51
Ok, I just upped mine to 7000, and I was able, for the FIRST time EVER, to walk through Plaza 1 on a busy day, with easily 50+ peeps in it, without lagging once. Not a single synch error, zilch. Will continue testing to see if this helps in the wastelands, but not now. I gotta go do work :( . Will test tonight.

Heavyporker
30-06-03, 20:56
Well if you say so sunab, then I am going to try that. Of course, the plaza one walk is the crucible :D Get no lag there, you won't anywhere else most likely.

/edit - hmm.. mine seems to be set to a default of 2000! damn.

Krll
30-06-03, 21:07
Mine is default 2000 too.

Looking forward to hearing what effect this has if any. :)

-Krll

Judge
30-06-03, 21:11
Oooh.... interesting. I look forward to seeing what people have to say about this, and what the results of your testing are Sunab.

I think that it would be cool if the mroe computer literate among us post what sorts of setting they have tweaked to get optimal performance out of neocron. Then again it may be their ub3r secret :p

Lexxuk
30-06-03, 21:16
Change...

//maximum time between player full updates(in secs)
set net_playerupdtime 2.0

to

set net_playerupdtime 1.0

Mr Friendly
30-06-03, 21:19
Originally posted by Lexxuk
Change...

set net_playerupdtime 2.0

to

set net_playerupdtime 1.0

OH YEAH, that was the other part to it........but i remember a GM posting that, & i think i remember him sayin u must have at least cable or dsl or higher, no ISDN or lower to raise to 1.0, but yeah, that'll also get rid of lag.

someone raise it to 60000 to see if it stand for bytes, cuz it does make sense that default (for german version at least) is 3000 which is 3kb which is what a modem gets.

Lexxuk
30-06-03, 21:25
Originally posted by Mr Friendly
someone raise it to 60000 to see if it stand for bytes, cuz it does make sense that default (for german version at least) is 3000 which is 3kb which is what a modem gets.

tut tut tut, basic puter science, 8 bits to a byte, 1024 bytes = 1k. 2048 = 2k, 3072 = 3k :p

Now, if KK were silly enough to leave in an option for people to increase the amount of data they can get per second, well, they "should" have a limiter on the other side.

Think of it this way. Their server can handle the bandwith of 2000 people, they set it at 3000 wotevas. 500 people change their ini to 6000. That means 5000 people are using the server allocated bandwith for 1000 people, which in turn, would clog up the network (500 people downloading at 6kps instead of 3kps = double bandwith), slow down the entire server for everyone, and cause major lag. Just a small thought on the matter ;)

Krll
30-06-03, 21:30
I can see it now... one person standing in Plaza 1 with his rate set to 6,000,000, so he can watch without lag as everyone around him grinds to a laggy halt ('cos he's hogging all the bandwidth). :)

Yes, I know it won't happen for technical reason X, but it's just a funny thought. :)

-Krll

Mr Friendly
30-06-03, 21:36
2000 ppl at 3kb default = 6mbs a sec with no lag

but each server has no more than 450 ppl at max at a time.....so if say 200 ppl saw this thread and changed theirs to 7000 (7kb) that would make 750 kb/sec with the modem ppl + 1.4 mb/sec == a total of 2.150 mb/sec.......still more than 3 1/2 mb/sec under the limit of lagdom...........so yeah that rules out my 60000 thing :\ & that means that they must have a limit on it........but 7000 is still a good raise without lagging the server.

even if everyone on the server (max 500) changed theirs to 7000, the server would be goin at 3.5 mb/sec when it can handle 6 mb/sec.......so im guessin that either.....& i think i remember this that 12000 was the max limit (for dsl users)

test the frame rate.......change it to 6000, & go to plaza 1.....remember the frame rate & log out there, log back in with a diffrent adjustment to your liking

Ren
30-06-03, 21:41
/me watches the devs scream as the bandwith bill tripples......

Ormy
30-06-03, 21:47
Im on 64k ISDN, but still ill have a fiddle and see how badly i can screw it up AND fix it without reinstalling (again :mad: ).

Mr Friendly
30-06-03, 21:52
Originally posted by Ormy
Im on 64k ISDN, but still ill have a fiddle and see how badly i can screw it up AND fix it without reinstalling (again :mad: ).

its adjustable, it wont screw up anything, just dont go any higher than 12000

Judge
30-06-03, 22:57
I put my bandwidth up from 2000 to 3000 then the player update thing down to 1 second and found a huge decrease in lag. It might ahve just been taht the serevr was having a good night or somethign but it was alot better....

I would feel bad if i put it all the way up to 7k, I wouldfeel like i wasn't sharing :p

I might try puttng it up to 4k then 5k and seeing what the diff is in plaza 1.

btw are we actually allowed to do this? I'm just asking cos KK might not like that we are putting too much strain on the servers or something. Probably me just being newbish.

Krll
30-06-03, 23:10
I'm sure they'll post here screaming "NO DON'T DO IT OR WE'LL BAN YOU!" soon enough if they don't want us to do it. :)

-Krll

BramTops
30-06-03, 23:39
Get real... according to the stats NC displays, it never gets over 1 or 2 Kb/sec. I can image that upping the setting in the INI to 7000 or something will make NC happier (in rare occasions) - but it will *never* cause any problems to the servers. So go ahead and adjust it to your liking (remind that cable users have shared up/down bandwith).

MortuusLupus
30-06-03, 23:56
I just switched mine to 7000 and 1.0 seconds, and even with KaZaA running in the background I'm getting a ping of 150-170. Normally it's 180 or so. And Plaza 1 was as smooth as a baby's butt that had been sanded with 2000 grit sandpaper and then polished to a mirror finish.

EDIT: I did get hit by the "You have to wait a bit longer" bug, but I think that was a one time thing.

One thing I noticed that might make a lot of people happy: Resists seem to work better. I jumped off a few high places in a few different zones and my health jumped back up just about instantly. I don't know if it works the same for damage by weapons and stuff, but it looks promising.

Mr Friendly
01-07-03, 02:08
Originally posted by Judge
I put my bandwidth up from 2000 to 3000 then the player update thing down to 1 second and found a huge decrease in lag. It might ahve just been taht the serevr was having a good night or somethign but it was alot better....

I would feel bad if i put it all the way up to 7k, I wouldfeel like i wasn't sharing :p

I might try puttng it up to 4k then 5k and seeing what the diff is in plaza 1.

btw are we actually allowed to do this? I'm just asking cos KK might not like that we are putting too much strain on the servers or something. Probably me just being newbish.

well, in the file it has about 7 other options......and about 2 of them say "DO NOT CHANGE THIS" ......whilst the others say nothing.............but like lexx said...(i tihnk it was lexx) that the servers can handle 2000 ppl goin at 3000, but each server has no more than 300 ppl.....& im guessin they mean for ALL servers so........300 on all 4 servers is only 1200 players......thats leavin 800 less players, meaning 2.4mb/sec of unused bandwidth > : )

but ya look at the servers all the time & see mostly 150 on all servers & about 200 on saturn, so normally we have only 650 players.........so basically i figure there's no problem if everyone raises there's to 7000, but everyone goin higher than that might create some lag.

hinch
01-07-03, 02:11
i started a thread on this along time ago (couple of months) it got deleted without a trace within abot 15 mins

basically the analysis is that if you know "CS" netcode then the stuff here runs on basically teh same principles although the underlying stuff is different the packets rates etc can be based on teh same principle for your connection.

however that does mean that if all adsl and cable users stick their rates to 12000 (use their max rates) then thats going to in turn suck more bandwidth away from the servers for them meaning that the 56kers get screwed

Mr Friendly
01-07-03, 02:14
Originally posted by BramTops
Get real... according to the stats NC displays, it never gets over 1 or 2 Kb/sec. I can image that upping the setting in the INI to 7000 or something will make NC happier (in rare occasions) - but it will *never* cause any problems to the servers. So go ahead and adjust it to your liking (remind that cable users have shared up/down bandwith).

view some ppl's posts in here who HAVE changed it & tested it, that it does work.

plus i think I remember back in december when the GM posted the range.....i think i was 3000 to 5000 for modem users (which would be 3k to 5k, which is true since 3k is typical v.90 modem & 5k is a v.92 modem)
5000 to 9000 for normal cable/dsl modems
& 9000 to 12000 for very fast modems (500mb dsl & higher)

i know there was a range but i "think" thats what it was. not sure about the 9000 to 12000 tihng though, maybe was only the 2 previous ones

Shadow Dancer
01-07-03, 02:18
Wait a second, does this mean I can participate FULLY in op wars now? :eek:

Lemme try this out.

Mr Friendly
01-07-03, 02:19
Originally posted by MortuusLupus
And Plaza 1 was as smooth as a baby's butt that had been sanded with 2000 grit sandpaper and then polished to a mirror finish.

One thing I noticed that might make a lot of people happy: Resists seem to work better. I jumped off a few high places in a few different zones and my health jumped back up just about instantly. I don't know if it works the same for damage by weapons and stuff, but it looks promising.

lol, ow man, hurt ma stomach :(

no, i remember that change, it was some 170 somthin patch, an early one, that made it so ur health lost from falling refills in 1 second

Mr Friendly
01-07-03, 02:21
btw mods, im PMing Odin right now to see what i should tell yall for him bout the maxes & such, so dont close the thread 'yet"...........but u should have seen the thread by now, so im guessin yall arent gonna close it unless a GM tells yall to, but thats what im gonna go ahead & find out.

Mr Friendly
01-07-03, 10:19
it might take a few days, so continue posting ur results etc

phunqe
01-07-03, 10:59
Originally posted by MortuusLupus
And Plaza 1 was as smooth as a baby's butt that had been sanded with 2000 grit sandpaper and then polished to a mirror finish.

Ok, that was too much information... o_O o_O

:D

Ulrich Haar
01-07-03, 11:00
All these options are disabled client side, so feel free to change them as you wish.

Lucjan
01-07-03, 11:04
There is nothing more powerful then the power of suggestion ;-)

Argent
01-07-03, 11:10
Originally posted by Ulrich Haar
All these options are disabled client side, so feel free to change them as you wish.

You moon-faced assassin of joy.....

Empty wishes of lagfree Neo.

IronMonkey
01-07-03, 11:29
ulrich you meant disabled server side right? =-p

which is your client not ours hehe

Krll
01-07-03, 11:36
Originally posted by Ulrich Haar

Hehe, you should have kept quiet and let everyone convince themselves that altering the numbers was having a effect. There might have bee less moaning after that. :)

-Krll

Sunab_Naverith
01-07-03, 12:30
Ulrich, no offense meant, but either you are mis-informed, or there was one HELL of a coincidental LAG FREE environment going on for over 14 hours today (something yet to be heard of in NC), or my tweaking worked. I just spent 4 hours in caves, only lagged 3 times, recovered from that, but had one bug. No FRE's. No synch errors. Zilch.
When I first made my post, and did the tweaking, I went into a VERY packed plaza 1 zone (easily 50+ people just near medcare). I didn't have a single glitchy, jerky movement. Nada. I usually walk PAST someone before they "zone" in on my screen. Now I see them almost a whole zone away :lol: .
So I reiterate my previous point of either you are misinformed, or its the greatest coincidence ever to happen in the NC community.:rolleyes:

I will let you and the community decide.

Nidhogg
01-07-03, 12:48
Originally posted by hinch
i started a thread on this along time ago (couple of months) it got deleted without a trace within abot 15 minsI investigated this (as you know I'm never one to allow such statements to just pass by ;)) and the only thread you've ever started that was removed from the forums was one about masturbation. It's far more likely that your thread was merged into another existing thread - it can appear that threads are removed this way.

N

Stigmata
01-07-03, 13:36
So does this work or will it be a waste of time ?

Stigmata

evs
01-07-03, 13:53
actually, i think that this does work, but not in the way most of your are thinking.

most games do have a link between network connection and FPS, look at UT2003 for example - it even has a line of code that can be disabled in the ini.

Normally this is to stop having a super high frame rate, and basically your game 'getting ahead' of your connection data update - as this would cause huge warps as your connection corrected what was on screen.

So i reckon that because you have raised your rates, the game itself regulates your frame rate up to those rates (client side of course) - and ta-dah, smoother framerate/gameplay.

Mr Friendly
01-07-03, 17:43
Originally posted by Nidhogg
I investigated this (as you know I'm never one to allow such statements to just pass by ;)) and the only thread you've ever started that was removed from the forums was one about masturbation. It's far more likely that your thread was merged into another existing thread - it can appear that threads are removed this way.

N

......o_O :lol: :lol: this thread talks about masturbation??

Mr Friendly
01-07-03, 17:45
Nid, id also like it if you could find out of PM me the range & max number (7000 etc) for the bandwidth thing we're talkin bout. im already waitin on Odin's reply so......l8r

Ulle
01-07-03, 17:50
Mr Friendly, please stop posting back to back 2 minutes appart from each other, if you have something to add so close together to when you origionally posted use the edit option.

Nidhogg
01-07-03, 18:00
Nid, id also like it if you could find out of PM me the range & max number (7000 etc) for the bandwidth thing we're talkin bout. im already waitin on Odin's reply so......l8r I'm afraid only KK will be able to answer those questions.

N

Ren
01-07-03, 18:08
/me points at the mods power posting spam..........

within 10 mins... :P

anyways on topic - i doubt it does make a difference, KK will regulate it on there end, so people dont steal bandwith :P

KuifJe
01-07-03, 18:42
Really OT here...

But shouldnt the lead mods be ELITE STORMbots or sumthin ;)

On topic again,
I've adjusted but not tested yet, but I tend to believe Ulle. In an online game that relies completely on connection status what company would be daft enuff to let the end users decide the amount of bandwidth the can use :confused:

I think higher of KK tbh :p

booboo
01-07-03, 19:28
So the actual limit is 2000
Now, let's say I put 9000 instead i don't think i'll suck all the bandwidth 'cause i won't use the whole 9000 just for myself

I'll just raise the limit and IF HAPPENS to receive 9000 then i will be able to get it
But if you say the NC client is made to send no more than 2k, then what's the problem in having an higher limit

I just put a 6000 limit, 'cause i own an adsl and i'm sick of lag
Doesn't happen often at all, but i'm sick of the few times it happens

If the NC clienti will send me like 3000 everytime fine, it means 2000 was too low (a problem then) and i won't suck 6000 by the way

Mr Friendly
02-07-03, 01:11
Originally posted by Nidhogg
I'm afraid only KK will be able to answer those questions.

N

Odin is part of KK right?

or will i need to email Reakktor?

Trip
02-07-03, 01:18
off topic:

the only thread you've ever started that was removed from the forums was one about masturbation

damnit nidd your good at this forum bashing thing. You remind me of a English teacher who always talked as if he was the most serious guy ever yet that was just the way he talked. He said the most funniest things in the most serious way. Kinda like Jack Dee but better lol :)

*ahem*

neways back on topic

can KK look into this plz? I must say that we the players are kinda intrigued about jacking your bandwith bills up *cough* i meant getting a better gaming experience..........*cough* i mean giving you praise

hehe

edit: just posted this exact time as nidd yet beat him to it! HAH!...i need sleep

Nidhogg
02-07-03, 01:18
Odin is part of KK right?

or will i need to email Reakktor? Odin works for Reakktor, yes.

N

Mr Friendly
02-07-03, 01:25
k, i emailed him sometime yesterday so i guess ill get it soon, but im leavin on vacation in 2 days & wont be back for a while, so i guess ill just try & find this thread & reply his answer then

Ren
02-07-03, 01:40
bringing old threads to life? no necromancing the topics please........IT CAUSES DEATH BY HAMMER

MortuusLupus
02-07-03, 06:05
Umm....this thread is only a few days old, and it's been posted in every single day it's been up...

Mr Friendly
02-07-03, 17:26
just did some more testing, but not with the bandwidth option, but more of the game settings, to see what would get me the best fps with good screen size.

farely simple when i noticed everything besides 1024x768x was a bit blurry at the log in screen, but went to the tutorial, tried 1152x864x16 & got only 25 fps normal walkin around, & 35 at the calm zero lag hall i know of. then tried 1024x768x16........got 35 fps walkin around & 75fps in that hall :P
so for some reason, u get alot more fps than anything higher than 1024x768 (for big screen guys im sayin)

hmm.....i wonder how much i could get with 800x600 or lower! :):lol:

Mr Friendly
03-07-03, 03:58
Odin still hasnt replied.........but i think there's somthin wrong with PMs or somthin.......one guy was telling me to empty my box so he could PM me........it was empty though :eek:

did i accidentally change somthin?

anyway, i was looking through alot of my pics when i had low fps & high fps, (looking at the bandwidth that was coming in with it set to 3000. it ranged from 1000 to 3000.......as i thought. so i guess Id say for nobody to raise it above 5000.

but the 2.0 to 1.0 was the main change to about everyone for less lag

ZoneVortex
03-07-03, 05:27
Nice, just tweaked my net.ini. Will test it out tonight *Crosses fingers*

Whitestuff
04-09-03, 06:26
Ping is nearly the same on my cable modem, but my bandwidth is now 7k instead of 2 and it is smooth running in plaza 1.

FPS is now 30, where is was 20 a few minutes ago. THIS DOES APPARENTLY WORK.

ZoneVortex
04-09-03, 06:27
Holy shit, can you say BUMP??

Man! No bumpa the old threadz!

Shadow Dancer
04-09-03, 06:29
Odin still hasnt replied.........but i think there's somthin wrong with PMs or somthin.......one guy was telling me to empty my box so he could PM me........it was empty though :eek:

Odin has ignored some of my pms in the past too.

Mr Friendly
04-09-03, 23:18
question: how u guys gettin 2k bandwidht and higher?..........i think i have some setting lowered or somthin cuz i dont get over "bandwidth: 1000"

(pressin alt+F)

\\Fényx//
04-09-03, 23:21
haha i bet my FPS is a bigger number than some people's bandwith :p

Mr Friendly
04-09-03, 23:28
what kinda gpx card u got that gives u sooooo much fps??

\\Fényx//
04-09-03, 23:30
what kinda gpx card u got that gives u sooooo much fps??

XP3000 barton
2Gb DDR 2700
FX5600 ultra
MS6712
Audigy 2 EX

Motherboards probably the weakest point on my PC.

Mr Friendly
04-09-03, 23:31
ahh, ic, in that case, dont tell me where u live, i WILL make that pc mine if u do :eek: :p

Nidhogg
04-09-03, 23:55
This is a two month old thread. o_O Please don't bump the stiffs, thanks.

N