PDA

View Full Version : Make shields (PAD) last longer

Drake6k
03-03-17, 03:37
Protector, Absorber, Deflector. They last 3 minutes. Could they last 5 minutes?...

Mal
03-03-17, 10:26
+1 it's a pain to have to sit and re-buff constantly and reduces my effective time in PVP.

Sure, my 'effective' time in PVP is negligable, but I still don't want to spend it throwing buffs up :D

Zoltan
03-03-17, 11:01
++ imho

JoshCooper
03-03-17, 18:16
+1 too

AgentKane
03-03-17, 22:56
+1 for sure! Do it dev-team, do it <3

JoshCooper
04-03-17, 13:36
How about extending this and making all "longs" last 10 mins - at the moment they scale 6 / 8 / 10 mins for each tier Crahn, Blessed, Holy?

Zoltan
04-03-17, 13:39
I have an another idea... let us make the duration scaling up with the "skill vs TL" factor.

Odimara Orca
04-03-17, 13:46
I have an another idea... let us make the duration scaling up with the "skill vs TL" factor.

As long as we get a proper countdown I'd agree.

Else I'd love a fixed time.

Drake6k
04-03-17, 20:17

It would be annoying if the buffs ended at different times. I wanna be able to recast them all at once.

Chazz
06-03-17, 00:33
If they last longer then higher TL should overwrite lower TL Shields or else if i get "shit" Buffed i have to wait 5 min to get Back into the Fight with my PPU

Mal
06-03-17, 11:15
If they last longer then higher TL should overwrite lower TL Shields or else if i get "shit" Buffed i have to wait 5 min to get Back into the Fight with my PPU

Not sure I agree - we need a way to be able to counter a PPU. Perhaps if it was on a timer before you could over-cast it. Like 10-20 seconds or something.

Chazz
07-03-17, 13:52
Not sure I agree - we need a way to be able to counter a PPU. Perhaps if it was on a timer before you could over-cast it. Like 10-20 seconds or something.
There is a counter already with the debuff/deshield dont know if its a apu or ppu module now , it gave the apu as a debuff and target caller a certain role ,when i played years ago

Drake6k
19-05-17, 04:50
Bump! Please don't forget about this suggestion. At least 5 minute shields is totally fair.

bobhoskins
19-05-17, 09:43
As much as I would like to disagree with jackdrake.... On this one I can't... longer sheilds would benefit the current player base if I'm being honest...

William Antrim
19-05-17, 12:20
I would suggest making all of the primes last 1 hour and all of the shields last 30 minutes.

I would then allow all shields and primes to be overwritten by a fresh cast.

I would then give all classes some form of antibuff (RoF scalable with TL).

I think stopping to twat about with buffs is one of the major reasons why group pvp felt so disjointed in this game. It isnt a skill, its an annoyance. The fight should be about movement and maintaining your lock on your opponent, not staggering around trying to rebuff because 2 minutes is up. If you need to rebuff due to an aggressive action that is a different thing as your opponent has given up his ability to damage you in order to weaken your defences. Therefore they likely will need to be quick to capitalise but having a buff fall off because the UI is so old is not something I think has a place in modern NC.

Chazz
19-05-17, 15:06
If i can overcast low tl shields with higher ones no problem with longer shields / Buffs but making everyone albe to deshield is not good.

if I cant overcast lower tls and you make shields last longer it will be pointless to play a PPU because you cant fight with a Shitbuff for long.

It wont benefit PPUs much because in Fights even with 3 min shields you can make it work
but the Buffs should have a longer duration.

maybe make it so that you can antishield rare Shields only with Rare antishields , would make Apus a bit more useful counter to PPUs and give them an edge over Hybrids again.

It requires skill to reshield in the middle of the fight (Teammates) and makes it a little challenging to play PPU

JoshCooper
19-05-17, 15:50
I don't like the idea of everyone getting getting anti - why bother with apu then?

I don't think overcasting shields with higher TL should be a thing either, it dumbs down the skill ceiling and makes anti + "Shit buff" pointless - again harming the apu in the process

Making them last too long would harm the ppu though. I'd just buff and then log out to a fighter for the 30-60 mins. The extra DPS would outweigh the lower heal ticks.

I kind of like the idea of an anti only stripping it's own tier and lower HOWEVER, you've just killed the hybrid as most fights involve ppu. Maybe add an effect which reduces the effectiveness of shields? The higher TL anti the higher reduction in shield strength? I feel this would be a big job though and honestly this point shouldn't be changed till many other things are addressed.

Summary:
I think the duration should simply be increased and other mechanics left as is 10 min all longs 5 min all shields.

All other issues regarding anti, "shit buffing", overcasting can be solved with just 1 apu & 1 ppu.

PaIn_EaSeR1337
19-05-17, 16:22
if I cant overcast lower tls and you make shields last longer it will be pointless to play a PPU because you cant fight with a Shitbuff for long.

It wont benefit PPUs much because in Fights even with 3 min shields you can make it work
but the Buffs should have a longer duration.

maybe make it so that you can antishield rare Shields only with Rare antishields , would make Apus a bit more useful counter to PPUs and give them an edge over Hybrids again.

It requires skill to reshield in the middle of the fight (Teammates) and makes it a little challenging to play PPU

Please learn how to play the game, it sounds like you have difficulty aiming, otherwise you can overcome this.

You quoted, "it requires skill to reshield in the middle of the fight (Teammates) and makes it a little challenging to play PPU" .... There is your issue my friend, you lack the skill. No one has ever moaned about this, it has been around for a long time.

I see no issue with shit buffing, as a ppu you should be more focused on your buffs.

Failing that, play an LE'd char, you sound like a carebear.

Chazz
19-05-17, 16:43
Please learn how to play the game, it sounds like you have difficulty aiming, otherwise you can overcome this.

You quoted, "it requires skill to reshield in the middle of the fight (Teammates) and makes it a little challenging to play PPU" .... There is your issue my friend, you lack the skill. No one has ever moaned about this, it has been around for a long time.

-> you really dont read the post im replying too ,its no moaning its stating a fact ,if you change the duration ,you have longer shitbuffs and then shorter fights but you wont understand that

I see no issue with shit buffing, as a ppu you should be more focused on your buffs.

-> so i just should buff myself and do what exactly in an Opfight , if i read your post correctly you are a member of rekless and then its no wonder you dont understand my point of view because noone of you guys plays a PPU just your hybrids

Failing that, play an LE'd char, you sound like a carebear.

-> maybe you should just do that , you sound so biased and dont really contribute anything to the discussion except trying to troll guys that try to improve , balance the game or have ideas

I would like to point out that most guys that have ideas or discuss here keep the personal stuff or ingame flaming in the game except some special snowflakes that somehow cant stop insulting or flaming people.
My answers are in the Quote

William Antrim
22-05-17, 14:51
I don't like the idea of everyone getting getting anti - why bother with apu then?

He has other roles to play besides antibuffing.

JoshCooper
22-05-17, 16:11
He has other roles to play besides antibuffing.

Yes dps, which all other classes can also do with more survivability whilst outputting virtually the same dps.

Chazz
22-05-17, 18:12
Yes dps, which all other classes can also do with more survivability whilst outputting virtually the same dps.

Most other classes do more dps atm , so the only upside a Apu has is his Anti , but hybrids can also anti singleshields even rare PPU shields

William Antrim
24-05-17, 11:58
Then post feedback in the balancing section. If the APU doesnt have good enough DPS output for his (lack of) survivability that issue is to do with the APU, nothing at all to do with antibuffing.

The two issues are intrinsically linked, yes, but entirely separate at the same time.

This is why we had Monkocron all those years ago. I am keen to see that playing field levelled and I see this as one of the integral changes which needs to happen to give this game a much more appealing pvp playing field.

greensoldier
21-06-17, 19:03
+1 for this idea, is this idea still under consideration?

Drake6k
21-06-17, 20:35
If I understand correctly, the only downside to longer buffs/shields is it makes shit-buffs more powerful against PPUs. If the NST could figure out how to let us right click on buffs to cancel them, it would solve a lot of problems. PPU having to stop for a second to cancel a shit-buff seems fair and more powerful than the current run around in a panic for 3 minutes. Also, if someone gets a drone1 buff or something else they don't want, they could easily take the buff off.

I've been playing my blessed PE lately and having to rebuff constantly isn't fun.

William Antrim
22-06-17, 14:11
Just make a higher tl shield overwrite a lower one and a self cast shield overwrite a foreign one.

Problem solved.

bmurph101
22-06-17, 16:27
Honestly other buffs in this game are aids.

They make fights drag out so much longer than they should. Let PPUs buff themselves. Hybrids, PEs, and Spies can buff themselves with significantly shittier buffs. Tanks get no buffs. Period. End of story.

Just my 2 cents.

Skansy
23-06-17, 08:19
Hey there :)

I think, making shields longer would be shitty.
Im playing PPU and sure, it would be much easier to support ... but you dont have to support 10 players with one PPU ...
So i dont want longer shields, but i would like to have "recast" enable again :)

i also loved the "mechanic / feature" with wear down the shields by getting damage.

maybe we can get that back :)

Kalonji Faya
28-06-17, 10:30
No need to make them last longer, a good ppu recast them as much as possible as they fade when they got hit !!
When I had my ppu, I casted the shields every minutes minimum !! So making it last longer is bullshit imo.

Maybe make them take less psi pool, or fade less fast ?

Kalonji

William Antrim
28-06-17, 13:36
Honestly other buffs in this game are aids.

They make fights drag out so much longer than they should. Let PPUs buff themselves. Hybrids, PEs, and Spies can buff themselves with significantly shittier buffs. Tanks get no buffs. Period. End of story.

Just my 2 cents.

So you then basically remove the benefit of having a PPU at all in any kind of fight.

Hey there :)

I think, making shields longer would be shitty.
Im playing PPU and sure, it would be much easier to support ... but you dont have to support 10 players with one PPU ...
So i dont want longer shields, but i would like to have "recast" enable again :)

i also loved the "mechanic / feature" with wear down the shields by getting damage.

maybe we can get that back :)

.... and you want to take 1 ppu for every fighter that is in the fight. That is effectively what your idea suggests.

You do realise that having a single PPU to look after the majority of the fighters is actually the FAIREST way to balance the PPU class right?

If you limit them to a ratio of 1:1 then any team not comprised of that ratio or as close to it as possible is automatically gimped by design.

If the ration is 1:10 or 1:8 or something similar - effectively allowing the PPU to become a good solid force multiplier without being dependent on him/her then you get a "proper" fight where he is as useful as the rest of his team is for dps. Jacks suggestion is actually a whole massive step in this direction and helps ALL players NOT be reliant on the PPU. How this is not an obvious benefit is completely beyond me.

Or would you guys rather relegate the ppu to purely being there to grind regants/other pve encounters and not see the light of day in pvp ever?

Skansy
28-06-17, 16:21
i can support 2 - 3 Runners and myself in OP Fight ... no 1PPU : 1 Damage Dealer

In an OP Fight with just 1 PPU and 5 Damage Dealer on each side, the PPU would be the target ... the Team that kills the enemy PPU first win ... or you have more PPUs but nothing to do :)

ALL players HAVE TO be reliant on PPU ... if u wouldnt need them, why should i play it?

William Antrim
28-06-17, 17:21
I cant see your point sorry.

Kalonji Faya
28-06-17, 22:52
I cant see your point sorry.

did you ever play a ppu ?
I mean a real clan ppu who have to support all the clan members that are here to fight and that means sometimes 2-3 and sometimes 6-8ppl...
If you never did that, ofc you can't see the point...

Kalonji

William Antrim
29-06-17, 10:24
Lol. I can assure you I know more about playing a PPU than most people on this board currently. I dont need to list my credentials, others can do that for me. :)

I mean I cant understand what you're on about. Please try to make more sense. I realise english isnt your first language but could you have another go at your post or explain it better so we can have a decent discussion.

Kalonji Faya
30-06-17, 12:52
Sorry dude I definitively misunderstood something about what Skansy said so my answer was not good at all as I was missing a point...

Speaking and reading english is kinda hard sometimes when you have to debate...
Sorry again.

But I'm still thinking PAD should not last longer, but it's just my opinion... I think a good ppu even with 4-5 ppl to handle should be able to PAD each one. Ofc it's hard work, but that's what makes a ppu so fun to play imo.

Kalonji

JoshCooper
30-06-17, 13:51
I don't think anyone wants this change to make a ppu's job easier. It's for convenience.

Recasting every 3 mins is a pain. They run out too quick and give the impression that all your doing is rebuffing all the time. Almost all group fights are lasting far longer then 3 minutes so require multiple recasts per skirmish.

Rebuffing that often is not adding anything tactical or to increase skill ceiling - it just gets in the way of the fights.

It's not even like you can use the buff running out as an opening as you can upkeep 100% of the time.

I think shit buffs should be left as they are too. They are a group fight mechanic and any group has access to multiple ways of anti-buffing covering 3 of the 4 classes.

William Antrim
30-06-17, 14:13
But making something more convenient also makes it easier. However it seems I am alone in thinking this is a good thing. At the end of the day in order to attract and retain new players this game needs to get over itself and all of the stumbling blocks it has to retention of the player base.

If that means reducing the grind and making it more accessible - like it was in NC1 - or improving fighting mechanics to make the ppu job easier, these things all need to be at least discussed and debated and then potentially added to the game. You wont win any new players making things harder or more annoying than they are currently.

Drake6k
06-09-18, 17:22
Bumping this thread because please give us longer lasting shields already.

LiL T
27-03-19, 17:31
bumping thread also because recasting buffs is a pain in the neck, yes 5 minutes would be perfect but I think increasing the freqency so they cast much faster could also work with making it less of a pain. I'd be happy with either longer duration or faster casts.