PDA

View Full Version : New launcher feedback and bugs thread.

Bifrost
21-02-17, 00:06
Please use this thread to feedback and report any bugs on the experimental Neocron launcher

The new launcher is experimental and should be considered a alpha/beta release. The code that handles the downloading/updating of the client is very stable and has been used extensively internally by the NST for years.

The parts that are still a work in progress is the launcher UI - so we welcome any constructive feedback in this thread. The NST is able to frequently update the launcher and is independent of any patch releases to the actual test server.

Screenshot of the current layout:
https://www.neocron-game.com/Media/Default/images/launcher_full.jpg (https://www.neocron-game.com/Media/Default/images/launcher_full.jpg)

Updates:

04/03
- Main Layout Grid re-arrangements
- added more button states
- added scaleable buttons
- overhauled some layout graphics
- added some tooltips
- added modal dialogs for NCAPS and Client selection

Known issues:
- Sidebar Client colors are not right
- Add client button does not trigger the selection popup
- Client language dropdown has wrong styles
- News item layout is not final
- Context menu für client options only appear on right click on the icon

Nysek
21-02-17, 03:25
Launcher seems to be fine so far, but noticed I log in after but it will simply go back to the login without any error as to why it won't go in.

The only things I will note... when selecting a server (bottom left dropdown next to "+" does not show the server selected. But does seem to update fine after selecting the server type and selecting it's folder.

Edit : Also seems that the launcher executable has vanished after launching... which is strange.

Odimara Orca
21-02-17, 10:17
1. Launcher doesn't create subdirectory at target path
2. Side Scrolling News Feeds are cancer and have to go
3. Feed is not up to day
4. Select Drop Down is one third the length necessary for the text inside
5. Drop down doesn't show which server I'm targeting because it's the same colour as the background (I have to click INSIDE to see where I'm going to connect)
6. Version and Language fields are badly positioned and mean nothing to me

It's just to fancy.

Just orient yourself on the old launcher please... In terms of usability and information overview a recticle with 3 button at the top and the newsfeed underneath is unbeatable.

Mal
21-02-17, 11:02
Personally liked the new launcher. It's responsive, and it's quicker.

I'd say anyone having issues so far, it's been due to their own misunderstanding. Installing files into their existing NC folder seems to be the main cause so far.

It would be nice to have the port information more easily configurable for dual-logging.

Mal
21-02-17, 11:14
I thought I'd pop my own opinion on in one place, rather than all three places you've copy/pasted this :)

1. Launcher doesn't create subdirectory at target path

I don't believe it ever claimed to. Easy enough to rectify by naming the sub directory you want it to create. Installation paths are always going to be something that at least one person doesn't agree with - but you have the option to name your own path, so utilise it.

Agree

3. Feed is not up to day

That's not an issue with the launcher - neither launcher is updated frequently enough.

Can't say that I noticed an issue with this.

5. Drop down doesn't show which server I'm targeting because it's the same colour as the background (I have to click INSIDE to see where I'm going to connect)

Both options on the drop down were obviously enough for me to distinguish them

Where would you prefer to see them? I think the choice between German, French and English are pretty obvious. It mirrors the original 3 servers - and English is the agreed internation language. It might be better if it was just labelled English, but it's not confusing enough to claim that they don't make sense.

It's just to fancy.

It's a heck of an improvement on the old launcher. But again, what would you prefer to see? Please don't say 'the old launcher' as you have that option anyway, and the old launcher is garbage.

Odimara Orca
21-02-17, 11:36
Do you have any experiences with designing GUI's?

Creating a subdirectory at chosen target is the norm since 20 years.

From a usability perspective all of these points are valid and not contestable.

There is a reason simple colour schemes are encouraged across the board, tell me how a colourblind person would navigate this mess?

Everything considered the old launcher is everything but garbage.

That is if "configure Hardware" was working properly.

Farril
21-02-17, 12:02
That is if "configure Hardware" was working properly.

It does since last patch.

Mal
21-02-17, 13:21
Do you have any experiences with designing GUI's?

Yup

Wasn't attempting to contest your opinions - I was interested to hear more about your proposals for change. That gives devs more of a constructive basis for considering change.

There is a reason simple colour schemes are encouraged across the board, tell me how a colourblind person would navigate this mess?

Yup - I've already raised colour-blindness in my list of general accessibility suggestions previously.

Odimara Orca
21-02-17, 14:30
It does since last patch.

Nope it doesn't 2 different computers, up to date patches, just get a dos window circling through.

@Mal I'll make a rough painting, using the currently existing new launcher as a basis, as soon as I got the time.

Might be a day or two until I can sit down.

Farril
21-02-17, 14:42
Well in that case, a bug report would be handy.
If possible, could you open the taskmanager and under details create and post an image dump of the blocked process?

Bifrost
21-02-17, 15:40
Creating a subdirectory at chosen target is the norm since 20 years.

This was bugging me. A change has been to put in to create a directory for the selected installation type.

Can users who have not used the installer tell me the path where you have installed the launcher to, I may need to do a bit more work on the default directory.

All points are contestable. This is why we have a discussion forum. /word /mod :)

AlvaroT
21-02-17, 15:47
Sidescrolling patchnotes are bad, make them vertical.

Bifrost
21-02-17, 17:54
It would be nice to have the port information more easily configurable for dual-logging.

This is already implemented since patch #186. If you leave the "Use local port" unticked, Neocron picks a random port when it starts to allow dual-logging.

Odimara Orca
21-02-17, 20:33
This is already implemented since patch #186. If you leave the "Use local port" unticked, Neocron picks a random port when it starts to allow dual-logging.

Same error, full with missing libs.

Here's what I suggest you do:

1. You get a Win 7 VM
2. You try to install the Testsever with the new launcher
3. You try to connect to the Testserver
4. You create fixes for any errors you find
5. You create a new package which contains a working client to the testserver
6. You come back and inform us that the process to get on veedeena is not a broken mess
7. ???
8. profit

:angel:

Edit: Wrong thread, belongs into the Veedeena thread

Still though. Asking for testing while the connection mechanic is broken is kinda o_O

Odimara Orca
21-02-17, 20:44

Didn't have that one before.

Bifrost
21-02-17, 22:38
Same error, full with missing libs.

Here's what I suggest you do:

1. You get a Win 7 VM
2. You try to install the Testsever with the new launcher
3. You try to connect to the Testserver
4. You create fixes for any errors you find
5. You create a new package which contains a working client to the testserver
6. You come back and inform us that the process to get on veedeena is not a broken mess
7. ???
8. profit

:angel:

Edit: Wrong thread, belongs into the Veedeena thread

Still though. Asking for testing while the connection mechanic is broken is kinda o_O

Working fine. Here's what I suggest you do.

1. Right click on your "Neocron 2.3 - Testserver" and select remove.
2. Then re-add the test server using the drop down in the bottom left to select "Neocron 2.3 - Testserver" and then click "+"
3. Let it re-install your test server client.

Odimara Orca
22-02-17, 10:47
Working fine. Here's what I suggest you do.

1. Right click on your "Neocron 2.3 - Testserver" and select remove.
2. Then re-add the test server using the drop down in the bottom left to select "Neocron 2.3 - Testserver" and then click "+"
3. Let it re-install your test server client.

[ edited ]

This is the equivalent of telling me to turn it off and on again.

I'll try it, but if it fails I expect one day with all my skills set to 255 to beat the shit out of a certain player :D / no entirely serious

Xortag
22-02-17, 14:14

Placeholder and not existent in the final version

3. Feed is not up to day

It will be as actual as news are provided

See 2

You don't target a server there, you target a client/game which goes along to 6.

The right part are informations for the selected client/game and would update properly; the language field wasn't meant to be the client setting and will change to the server language

At a first start you will be promted to select a client and for further clients the dropdown and plus button will become a "Add" button that triggers a small dialog.

The UI wasn't merged for a while, so consider most things done/fixed/changed

Odimara Orca
23-02-17, 18:48
Placeholder and not existent in the final version

It will be as actual as news are provided

See 2

You don't target a server there, you target a client/game which goes along to 6.

The right part are informations for the selected client/game and would update properly; the language field wasn't meant to be the client setting and will change to the server language

At a first start you will be promted to select a client and for further clients the dropdown and plus button will become a "Add" button that triggers a small dialog.

The UI wasn't merged for a while, so consider most things done/fixed/changed

Okey so whens the merge coming?

Mal
10-03-17, 22:44
Hi chaps

I tried to get onto PTS tonight via the old launcher and the new.

The old launcher installs the patches, then will not start at all.

The new launcher would not start initially. It also would not remove clients from the list, or perform an install.

So I removed the files and restarted, then tried the launcher again. It took a while, but allowed me to remove the client files.

When I click on ADD CLIENT - nothing happens. All I get is a swirling circle in the bottom, next to the Add Client button.

Chazz
11-03-17, 01:30
Hi
got nearly the same problems cant get the new launcher to do anything
tried everythin I know but it just wouldnt install itself or launch at all just freezes my winexplorer

and with the old launcher i cant get on testserver either it updates and then just doesnt start up anymore

Xortag
12-03-17, 00:17
Try to re-start your launcher to let it get the latest update. I have temporary added the old client selection until the popup is finalized. Some elements have no style applied, they will be back in the next update.

If you have the swirly icon, it means you either updating or downloading, the whole progressbar shouldn't appear without anything triggered (Download, File check, Install).

Chazz
12-03-17, 14:38
Tried everything even the old Launcher, after it updates , the Launcher restarts and just doesnt start anymore

It seems the test server just doesnt like me

Hell-demon
27-03-17, 16:44
This new UI is just awful! Say what you want about the old launcher but at least it was functional. Was typing login details and for soem reason ended up typing into a sticky note on my desktop. Moved the launcher and attempted again. Got my password wrong and got locked for two hours - okay my bad. Tried to escape the launcher and had to ctrl alt delete because the background was blurred and wasn't clear where the close button was.

It's pretty but it's pretty bugged. No wonder population is low when you got this buggy launcher. Please sort it out lads.

aelfkins
13-04-17, 16:23
I like the look of the new launcher, but it seems that we've lost the ability to change the video resolution.

Achilles3
17-04-17, 00:18
I've recently started getting an annoying 'no disc inserted' message popping up that has to be closed multiple times until the game will launch

aelfkins
21-05-17, 17:32
How do we change the game resolution with the new launcher? Without having to delete and reinstall.

Mal
21-05-17, 19:01
Right click the server's name, click configure from the menu.

danmalone
03-06-17, 01:54
Has anyone had any issues with it overwriting/deleting other files? I only ask as I just tried the experimental launcher, set it to download the test server to my D drive which had absolutely nothing else on it besides Overwatch, and now the Overwatch folder/installation has completely vanished and it's just filled with NC files

Maybe it's trying to tell me to play NC more, but yeh :P

Odimara Orca
04-07-17, 06:29
Error after installation: ~800 Missed files.

None of the Options accessable through the menu (reinstall, update, remove, repair) are working.

-> Still can't connect to the testserver.

necrocon
25-01-19, 14:16
So, I'm only recently back, and trying to pull some friends into the game with me. It takes 5-10 minutes for the game to actually launch after I click the start button. That is NOT a good selling point to convince new people to play.

Xanthos
25-01-19, 16:21
Can you give some more info please?
Your OS/CPU etc would be helpful.

necrocon
26-01-19, 10:29
Windows 10, AMD 8350. Ask away, or I can probably email all the specs. I'm not sure what my buddies have off hand. Most of their stuff is within the last 3- 6 years... I think

ulx
26-01-19, 11:34
ive been running neocronclient.exe with compatability mode for windows 8 for a while now because the client often wouldnt start up. Try that. And close the launcher!!! its burning ressources like hell

necrocon
27-01-19, 07:52
Sadly that didn't change the load time. I do close the launcher though. I hadn't considered the amount of resources though.

ulx
27-01-19, 18:55
do you have an old slow hard disk or sth xD? I got nc on on ssd on all my machines cuz its so tiny
But in general, nc feels way too cpu consuming for a game that used to run on ancient machines from the last century xD

necrocon
30-01-19, 21:09
just a slow hard disk 7200 raptor 1 tb. The game itself runs just fine, it's that 5 minutes for going from the launcher to the game that's really annoying

ulx
13-02-19, 18:25
just make a shortcut to neocronclient.exe on your desktop and use the launcher ONLY for patching

btw, one has to rightclick and then select update. If i do leftclick and select update it does nothing...
Will we ever get a launcher update xD??

nikkon
11-12-19, 03:32
just redownloaded the game and love the launcher look but after updating it wont start when i hit the start button i get a 0% then nothing

Xanthos
11-12-19, 08:13
Can you post you applog.txt please? (NC Launcherfolder /_nclapp)

- Have you installed all files during the install process (Redists, .NET Framework, DirectX)?
- Have you checked your AV for exceptions?
- Have you tried to start in admin mode?

X.

nikkon
12-12-19, 04:57
having trouble adding the file to attachments and text is too long any suggestions ?

Xanthos
12-12-19, 07:24
having trouble adding the file to attachments and text is too long any suggestions ?

As a file attachment ;)
Or send it to: xanthos@neocron-game.com

X.

nikkon
12-12-19, 09:12
thank you i have sent you a email

Xanthos
13-12-19, 12:01
thank you i have sent you a email

/fixed ;)

25-12-19, 00:13
Is it still possible to play using the old 2.2 launcher/client?

The box I usually run NC on is unable to run the 2.3 client but the 2.2 client just sits at 'connecting to server' with a blank window (so I guess the answers going to be 'no')

Xanthos
25-12-19, 11:05
No, you have to use the new Launcher/Client.

What is the problem you have with the new Launcher?

26-12-19, 11:07
It's totally my problem, the box I historically ran NC on is a 32bit Windows 2003 server (yeah I know, don't ask!)

Zoltan
26-12-19, 16:41
I have bad news about that...
You should be able to run the neocron client itself but updating....

Achilles3
20-03-20, 00:11
I also can’t get the new launcher to load. The download gets to 25% every time then packs in. I keep deleting _nclapp and starting again, but no luck. Any ideas @Zoltan