PDA

View Full Version : Halp, NC won't start

$tormbringer
24-11-16, 11:07
Hey, tried to get NC running again, since i wanted to take a look at the new patch stuff.
Sadly i can't get the game to start, after a fresh install i get the attached error when trying to start the launcher.
Tried starting it in admin mode, same error
Tried disabling my antivir, same error
Tried desinstalling, cleaning the registry, reinstalling, same error

Soooo... halp... plx?

phunqe
24-11-16, 12:58
Did you install in \Program Files\ by any chance?

$tormbringer
24-11-16, 13:02
Nope, i installed it in a Custom Folder (D:\Neocron) - since D: is my Games drive.

Trivaldi
24-11-16, 13:24
Was your fresh install completed using the latest installer from the link in my signature?

$tormbringer
24-11-16, 13:49
Yes, it is the same installer.
And, just in case it matters: my OS is Win 8.1 x64

Tenchiro
24-11-16, 14:25
Move the folder to C:\ and try again.

$tormbringer
24-11-16, 14:27
Tried it, same problem.

Tenchiro
24-11-16, 14:52
Disable your Antivirus temporarily. Try again.

$tormbringer
24-11-16, 14:57
As i said in the Opening Post, i already tried disabling it - to no avail.
Tried again, on the C: drive - also didn't work :/

Tenchiro
24-11-16, 15:17
Ups. I am sorry. Have you checked the file permissions? Ownership > Run as an Administrator -> http://www.thewindowsclub.com/take-ownership-windows-8

Trivaldi
24-11-16, 15:19
Other than the install path, did you make any other changes in the options given by the installer?

$tormbringer
24-11-16, 15:41
Nope, only changed the Path (didn't even change the language ;))

Also tried the ownership thingie - owner was admin - changed it to my account, again didn't work :/

$tormbringer
25-11-16, 21:46
Hmm, seems like noone can help me further :/

Could one of the devs (or someone who knows it) tell me which registry keys are added while installing?
Also is there a folder where settings are saved? (apart from the neocron.ini in the game folder)

I guess the problem is some old installation leftovers - and i'd like to stomp everything existing of old installs out and try again.

$tormbringer
26-11-16, 12:02
And yet another post - hope thats ok

Interestingly enough, the only thing that doesn't seem to work is the launcher. I can start the client.exe just fine.

Also i, again, deinstalled and installed anew - this time i didn't change anything in the install. But the problem still occurs with the launcher.

Brawl
05-12-16, 15:28
Try changing the port number manually I get stuck on sync sometimes and that fixes it

hudsonbeck
05-12-16, 15:57
And yet another post - hope thats ok

Interestingly enough, the only thing that doesn't seem to work is the launcher. I can start the client.exe just fine.

Also i, again, deinstalled and installed anew - this time i didn't change anything in the install. But the problem still occurs with the launcher.
It sounds like you are able to play now by running the Client.exe? If so, that's great. If you want to continue troubleshooting the issue with the launcher I would suggest running Procmon. Are you familiar with this utility? Here is a simplified tutorial on how to trouble shoot issues with it:
http://www.howtogeek.com/school/sysinternals-pro/lesson5/all/
(I would scroll down to the "Troubleshooting Problems with Process Monitor" section)

Its a great utility to see what all is going on and help you identify if its permissions accessing a file or what is the culprit.

Hope this helps,
H

/Edit to add - Also permissions are an interesting thing.. Just because someone is Owner doesn't mean everything is 'good'. if somehow an explicit deny got added it overrides all allows. They can be difficult to find sometimes and I have seen applications set deny on files/folders. I would manually review the permissions and look for any deny setting.... but I would investigate with Procmon before anything else as it is your best chance to see whats going on.

$tormbringer
06-12-16, 20:12
Yep, i can play with the client.exe just fine - patching is a bit bothersome though :/

It's not a permission problem - we tested that already (we, that is Kronos and me)
Also we took a look with procmon, didn't find anything, maybe we didn't look enough

Atm i use a workaround of a VM which starts the launcher just fine - i just patch, then copy the nc folder over and play with the client.exe