View Full Version : Overcap discussion

Zoltan
09-08-16, 00:05
I have implemented the overcap now I was talking about some days ago:

On rares:

http://neocron-game.com/media/overcapp.png

On non-rares:

http://neocron-game.com/media/overcapp2.png

These changes are getting deployed with the next vedeena patch.

Drake6k
09-08-16, 06:58
I have implemented the overcap now I was talking about some days ago:
So you wont be able to cap guns? I love weapon caps! Im sick of having to put all my int in weapon lore. On the test server I made a termi pe build and was able to figure out exactly how many points I needed to cap it. I then got poking and some hacking. If I went for a higher TL weapon then I'd have to sacrifice some extra skills in order to cap it. Characters had more variety when there were caps. At least this is my 2 cents. What does everyone else think?

Zoltan
09-08-16, 10:37
There is a softcap implemented aswell and its up to you if you invest those points in RC or AGL instead. Doing slight more damage or running faster :)

n00bs will have a slight damage bonus aswell if they get a rc/pc/hc/mc/psi boost. I really liked that back in the day (NC1) when my TL 19 did more damage than a TL 32 when I met the minimum requirements to use it.

Arcaine
09-08-16, 11:58
n00bs will have a slight damage bonus aswell if they get a rc/pc/hc/mc/psi boost. I really liked that back in the day (NC1) when my TL 19 did more damage than a TL 32 when I met the minimum requirements to use it.

I love it.....like back in the good old days <3

Drake6k
09-08-16, 13:57
There is a softcap implemented aswell and its up to you if you invest those points in RC or AGL instead. Doing slight more damage or running faster :)

I'd enjoy a soft cap that nearly becomes a hard cap. You can always improve, but 10 points for 1% might not be worth it.

Zoltan
09-08-16, 17:41
I'd enjoy a soft cap that nearly becomes a hard cap. You can always improve, but 10 points for 1% might not be worth it.

Yes, this is the intention :D You are fine with this? :)

William Antrim
09-08-16, 19:30
This has been a long required change.

Zoltan
10-08-16, 00:40
This has been a long required change.

Glad we have you aboard. :)

yavimaya
10-08-16, 04:17
awesome, thanks team.

Drake6k
10-08-16, 10:53
Yes, this is the intention :D You are fine with this? :)
Alright, I'm gonna trust you! Harder soft cap than current Titan I hope.

Thanks!

Zoltan
10-08-16, 11:15
I'll push a patch to vedeena when I am getting back home so you guys can test this <3

carnaged
11-08-16, 08:10
I don't fully understand. Is this going to raise the max level you can reach in a skill, or is it just going to be added stuff for or from something else?

William Antrim
11-08-16, 13:56
I think I understand it correctly. They are going for the best of both worlds.

A soft cap where you "need" to reach to get to optimum efficiency for your weapon - points invested up to this point will give an equal return for your investment. 1 point (skill not level up points) should give the same % all the way to soft cap.

Beyond this point investing further RC/PC etc points will bring a diminishing return and cost infinitely more for very little return before ending at hard cap - the last possible point you can spend to get your bonus.

I have 2 questions - 1) will implant bonuses (PC RC etc) contribute to the hard cap over and above the soft cap from skill points? and 2) can we get documented details of the soft AND hard caps for ALL weapons/spells/modules when finalised and after retail.

This sort of stuff is gold dust to a set up junkie and (I dont want to make any leaps of faith) could honestly be the biggest change you guys have made since balancing began. If this hits retail along with balancing it could finally give a level playing field to the game and is something I hope that many will see the benefit of.

carnaged
11-08-16, 16:59
if I got this right, your saying that there will be a difference between the base skill points and the ones added by spells or implants and power armor for using the equipment to optimum efficiency?

Nidhogg
11-08-16, 18:02
Spells, son?

BlueRobot
11-08-16, 19:47
There has been a softcap since 2.2 right? So the only difference is how it's calculated and displayed in the info window?

William Antrim
12-08-16, 14:02
There has been a softcap since 2.2 right? So the only difference is how it's calculated and displayed in the info window?

Honestly I didnt think there was but I think the more important point is the lack of clarity on how the mechanics work.

I think there should be a hard cap in all honesty and encourage variety, melee Spies I salute you!

Odimara Orca
12-08-16, 19:48
I still don't understand what needs testing.

Do you just want us to just take a look if it "feels right"?

Is it implemented in a way that low TL weapons are easier to overcap than high TL weapons? Or is it about the same on every weapon?

Without formulas this isn't that easy to test.