PDA

View Full Version : Transparency?

William Antrim
27-04-16, 19:42
So 3 threads popped up recently with lots of good discussion about the game but they all have a common theme when you boil away the arguments, criticism and the passion showed for the game.

Nobody actually knows the full story. Only one person actually apparently has any idea and everyone else seems to be unable to say "more than they should".

What is stopping complete transparency on this whole project? What is the problem with being 100% honest about the state of the game?

There is no commercial reason, there are no subscribers or shareholders, there is no market to compete with. There is no need for secrecy but yet it continues. It encourages speculation and negativity, neither of which are good for the project as a whole.

Why is that?

aKe`cj
30-04-16, 01:38
unclarity around ownership and legal accountability combined with a reluctance to address either as it might endanger the status quo.
... of course, that is just an uneducated guess.

William Antrim
30-04-16, 12:31
That's exactly the problem, it leads to speculation and negativity. It's akin to burying your head in the sand and doesn't exactly lend itself to inspiration.

Loads of people want to help but how can they when they don't know how and why is information withheld, it serves no purpose.

It just seems so futile when some decent discussion and optimism has sprung up recently.

eNTi
30-04-16, 17:44
honestly... i think the nst just wants to keep to themselves and not have any form of criticisms towards their free time involvement. every other sentence that's being written as either an indirect or direct critique starts with: we are so grateful that you spend your valuable time on this project but...

it really makes the situation worse. why should i be grateful for something i don't care about... and if all the nst is doing is purely on a voluntary basis, why does triv still talk to us as if he was pr? why would he apologize constantly for stuff he has obviously no control over?

i'm starting to think that all this is for naught... we know a little more what is going on behind the scenes but we have no idea how this all will turn out. a lot of people obviously still care about the game but i can't see a future where i want to play it again. i will certainly come back to the forums every odd month or so... like the last few years... and check for some progress.

Hell-demon
30-04-16, 19:55
honestly... i think the nst just wants to keep to themselves and not have any form of criticisms towards their free time involvement. every other sentence that's being written as either an indirect or direct critique starts with: we are so grateful that you spend your valuable time on this project but...

Let's be fair it is a big undertaking to run an mmo with a near skeleton crew, so we do have to give some credit. It is also the undoing of this game. The team simply can't do enough, there is no monetary incentive and we don't know what the long term goal of this is. Get more people to play?

And then...???

Zoltan
30-04-16, 22:21
I really need to count the usage of the word "legal" per post written by a special forum member ;) Anyway.

The main goal is to keep Neocron running as long as possible and while we're trying to keep things up we do some random work in the meanwhile.

It may not sound that promising in the firts place but do not underestaminate 'random work'.

I am honest: I didn't spent much time in the last months because of some heavy workload in RL so there is no huge progress in the remaining 5-10% (= I need to do until the client/server is ready to work with the balancing changes) but at least I am not the entire team.
I hate to repeat myself that's why I don't write about the things I did since the last post... because there is nothing new so far.

Things I did so far:

I/O improvement on the server side - some of the 'readonly' stuff is now cached in RAM
Finetunings in the tool I called "Balancing playground" - It contains all the new playerskill calculations which influences the weapon damage, handling and aim - for example: Tank - STR, DEX, WEP, HC, TC, etc..
Changes in the DEFs and code: weapons do have a 'family' now. For example: baseball bat and peacemaker are part of the same family
A new proxy software which is still work in progress
A new tool to replace textures of actors without rebaking them - Because we didn't have all the source files - KK simply lost them
A rework of our internal 'Neocron Suite'
A tool which allows us to reorganize the existing weapons -> Weapon Families
Some bugsfixes in our definition-database service (to handle DEFs - read+write)
Some refactorings in the code to align with our guidelines

Our content and assets team are working on several things like new missions and graphical changes etc. - It's just awesome but I don't wanna spoil something yet, It's there job ;) Wait I do repeat myself: IT'S AWESOME :D

You're right. Every single team member is just a clone of Kim Jong Un.

Note to myself: Delete this user.

Hell-demon
30-04-16, 22:48
Come on Zoltan give him a break. He's just frustrated like so many others. I mean it's Saturday night and only 16 players are on.

Thanks for the update and if you could be so kind as to post this in the anouncement forum to get more coverage that would be cool.

Any idea as to when some of these awesome things will be implemented?

Zoltan
01-05-16, 03:05
Any idea as to when some of these awesome things will be implemented?

No idea. I guess soon(TM) ;)

There is an another thing. We do not have an automatic build process for the PTS (Vedeena) yet once it become true the team is able to push out patch by their own.

I do need to do this currently by hand ;/

Z

Celt
01-05-16, 03:11
'Any idea as to when some of these awesome things will be implemented?'

They cant answer that. They will never be able to. Once the question is asked, they can only lose no matter what answer they give (including if the answer is in declining to answer).

Fixed date will be optimistic, and fall by the wayside. Broad date will upset people due to lack of specificity. No date will upset people due to the assumption that it means it isn't really being worked on.

Doc Holliday
01-05-16, 05:43
I really need to count the usage of the word "legal" per post written by a special forum member ;) Anyway.

The main goal is to keep Neocron running as long as possible and while we're trying to keep things up we do some random work in the meanwhile.

It may not sound that promising in the firts place but do not underestaminate 'random work'.

I am honest: I didn't spent much time in the last months because of some heavy workload in RL so there is no huge progress in the remaining 5-10% (= I need to do until the client/server is ready to work with the balancing changes) but at least I am not the entire team.
I hate to repeat myself that's why I don't write about the things I did since the last post... because there is nothing new so far.

Things I did so far:

I/O improvement on the server side - some of the 'readonly' stuff is now cached in RAM
Finetunings in the tool I called "Balancing playground" - It contains all the new playerskill calculations which influences the weapon damage, handling and aim - for example: Tank - STR, DEX, WEP, HC, TC, etc..
Changes in the DEFs and code: weapons do have a 'family' now. For example: baseball bat and peacemaker are part of the same family
A new tool to replace textures of actors without rebaking them - Because we didn't have all the source files - KK simply lost them

Our content and assets team are working on several things like new missions and graphical changes etc. - It's just awesome but I don't wanna spoil something yet, It's there job ;) Wait I do repeat myself: IT'S AWESOME :D

This is the sort of thing people want to see/read. Yes its infuriating not hearing much.

Please keep the updates coming even if its just to say ok today this bit got done. Any progress on anything no matter how small is still progress. People need to temper enthusiasms and understand that yes this does take time but honestly from reading this thread since the new posts appeared im glad to see something is progressing. A wall of silence demotivates.

Please for the love of god though harness the community in some way. we WANT to help. Figure out what we can physically do to help and let us do it.

Odimara Orca
01-05-16, 11:36

Things I did so far:

Give us a Post like that every 14 to 21 days and I'm happy.

William Antrim
01-05-16, 16:22
Dont even need to put a time limit on it like the other guy said, but seriously more of this was what i envisioned in the thread.

Also while youre at it can you post some sort of framework of what you still require? Like you obviously know you have bottlenecks in production - tell us what they are and if there is someone here who can help then let them know what tools/programs/languages they need to be familiar with?

Someone might even fancy taking up a position and learning on the fly - you NEVER know unless you ask.

Bottom line is nobody here thinks this game is going to compete with WoW or any of the big EA titles - however EVERY single one of us who knows how good it used to be with 300-500 players online would like to go back to those kind of populations in a stable (even if it is dated) environment.

Zoltan
01-05-16, 16:38
Things which improves our development

Speed up build times and reduce I/O - Solved some seconds ago (https://twitter.com/GM_Zoltan/status/726779667726917632)
Refactoring of the patcher / hash libs & developing a CLI app to make automated patch builds possible for the PTS - Assigned to Avalon
Create new weapon damage / handling / aim code in the 'Balancing Playground' - Done: Finished yesterday
Move the new weapon damage / handling / aim stuff to the client / server - The last 5-10% i have talked about recently - My part
Reorganize all weapon (-families) - Assigned to Aegir
Fix mailserver problems - In progress by Bifrost and Trivaldi

aKe`cj
01-05-16, 19:33
I really need to count the usage of the word "legal" per post written by a special forum member ;)

Don't waste your time, it applies to about 000.528355054596689% of a special forum member's posts, hardly impressive ;)

… doesn't mean it aint true ^^
until kirk pulls the finger (or the plug), I predict NC will remain on life support at best (and I shall, statistically speaking, repeat that sermon in 173 days).

William Antrim
02-05-16, 20:01
Anything we can do outside of code monkeying? anything for the low tech crowd?

Nakomi43
03-05-16, 10:30
Anything we can do outside of code monkeying? anything for the low tech crowd?

Test test and more testing I'd assume is the answer that will be given, but you have to be honest it has come a LONG way since Terra, I mean the cheats have been patched, the team is active, and the server is stable, that is a big thing overall really considering we used to be overrun with dupes, speed hacks, and the occasional immortal player who could snipe you with a CS from across the zone lol

Maybe a thread with an overall status of individual items assigned to the team would be great, and updating this thread on a weekly basis so that people can see that work is still being done would be cool? *shrugs*

Odimara Orca
03-05-16, 12:23
Test test and more testing I'd assume is the answer that will be given, but you have to be honest it has come a LONG way since Terra, I mean the cheats have been patched, the team is active, and the server is stable, that is a big thing overall really considering we used to be overrun with dupes, speed hacks, and the occasional immortal player who could snipe you with a CS from across the zone lol

Maybe a thread with an overall status of individual items assigned to the team would be great, and updating this thread on a weekly basis so that people can see that work is still being done would be cool? *shrugs*

Honstely I don't feel like testing or brainstorming anymore.

You give Feedback and then all that answers you is dead silence.

JustVisiting
03-05-16, 14:17
Things which improves our development

Refactoring of the patcher / hash libs & developing a CLI app to make automated patch builds possible for the PTS - Assigned to Avalon

Just use common / tried and tested off the shelf tools. We use Jenkins/Ant/Gitlab/slack/gerrit for all our dev stack work with automated CI and building + deployment to a test server then we can merge in to upstream for automated deployment to live with build artifacts auto pulled out and put in to the "launcher" for patch deployment to clients. Took about 2 days to setup/configure.

What are your mailserver issues it takes less than an hour to correctly configure a high throughput redundant postfix mailserver so whats the issues you keep facing?

eNTi
03-05-16, 15:02
Yeah sure... shoot the messenger.

Nakomi43
03-05-16, 18:24
Just use common / tried and tested off the shelf tools. We use Jenkins/Ant/Gitlab/slack/gerrit for all our dev stack work with automated CI and building + deployment to a test server then we can merge in to upstream for automated deployment to live with build artifacts auto pulled out and put in to the "launcher" for patch deployment to clients. Took about 2 days to setup/configure.

What are your mailserver issues it takes less than an hour to correctly configure a high throughput redundant postfix mailserver so whats the issues you keep facing?

It sounds like you literally just described the Cyanogenmod build process...

Bifrost
04-05-16, 14:59

Ever since the NST took over development on Neocron, we have been using a combination of TeamCity, SVN, TFS and Slack for continuous integration. Updates to our internal test server (ITS) are deployed every check-in however deployment to the Public Test server is a little more complicated since this still uses the current Neocron patching system, and that tool needed some changes.

Most of the issues have been caused by DNS configuration issues - myself along with Trivaldi have spent a few weeks looking at the config and tweaking it. The reporting is much better now and there is still an outstanding issue that keeps coming up with GMail - for some reason our mail server randomly wants to talk ipv6 with Google servers.

JustVisiting
04-05-16, 16:40
Ever since the NST took over development on Neocron, we have been using a combination of TeamCity, SVN, TFS and Slack for continuous integration. Updates to our internal test server (ITS) are deployed every check-in however deployment to the Public Test server is a little more complicated since this still uses the current Neocron patching system, and that tool needed some changes.

Most of the issues have been caused by DNS configuration issues - myself along with Trivaldi have spent a few weeks looking at the config and tweaking it. The reporting is much better now and there is still an outstanding issue that keeps coming up with GMail - for some reason our mail server randomly wants to talk ipv6 with Google servers.

I left svn world a while ago as I found git+gitlab to be far superior for managing builds/merges/ci and automated testing.

Assume you're using postfix as your MTA? disable ipv6 transport and dummy interface from your transport map. Also check your spf's don't have dodgy records pointing to ipv6 addresses if you used an auto creator spf tool for example sometimes they put catch alls in. you could also look at overriding with srv protocols if you really wanted though tbh they're not used that often. If you're really stuck I'm happy to look at all your config for you as your actual SPF's /dns setup looks correct so I'd guess its more of an MTA config issue pulling the ipv6 data back from googles so attempting to switch to that instead but guessing your server doesn't have an ipv6 address or routing setup. You could always just give your vm/box an ipv6 route ofc hetzner certainly support it and have core routing over ipv6/

/etc/postfix/main.cf:
transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport

/etc/postfix/transport:
gmail.com smtp-ipv4:

/etc/postfix/master.cf:
smtp-ipv4 unix .. .. .. .. smtp
-o inet_protocols=ipv4

# postmap /etc/postfix/transport
# postfix reload

Bifrost
04-05-16, 17:25
I left svn world a while ago as I found git+gitlab to be far superior for managing builds/merges/ci and automated testing.

Assume you're using postfix as your MTA? disable ipv6 transport and dummy interface from your transport map. Also check your spf's don't have dodgy records pointing to ipv6 addresses if you used an auto creator spf tool for example sometimes they put catch alls in. you could also look at overriding with srv protocols if you really wanted though tbh they're not used that often. If you're really stuck I'm happy to look at all your config for you as your actual SPF's /dns setup looks correct so I'd guess its more of an MTA config issue pulling the ipv6 data back from googles so attempting to switch to that instead but guessing your server doesn't have an ipv6 address or routing setup. You could always just give your vm/box an ipv6 route ofc hetzner certainly support it and have core routing over ipv6/

I'll skip the svn vs git etc discussion for now. (I also prefer git by a long mile)

I guess you haven't twigged onto the fact that Zoltan is a big Windows fan. So no Postfix is used here (Or Exim which is my personal preferred choice) we have Windows mail service. You are right something in the MTA config is wanting to talk ipv6 when we told everything we have found so far not to use ipv6.

Odimara Orca
04-05-16, 17:45
... Zoltan is a big Windows fan...

Damn you Zoltan! :mad: *shakes fist in the air*

General Crazy
04-05-16, 18:48
I'll skip the svn vs git etc discussion for now. (I also prefer git by a long mile)

I guess you haven't twigged onto the fact that Zoltan is a big Windows fan. So no Postfix is used here (Or Exim which is my personal preferred choice) we have Windows mail service. You are right something in the MTA config is wanting to talk ipv6 when we told everything we have found so far not to use ipv6.

This is something I looking forward to seeing if the new bash shell for windows will allow for running Postfix or Exim with dovecot and git servers as well. In most cases it pointless to throw extra resources for a Linux mail/private git server if you already invested in windows servers the extra Linux server will require cost for server and will have to be configured and maintained. This is why SVN is still used a lot in small business windows development.

One trick to try is if the server doesn't use or have IPv6 configured just disable IPv6 on the network adapters that way programs can't detect that IPv6 is available and will be force to use IPv4. On newer windows OS IPv6 is installed and enabled by default and no one ever disables them if they are not using it.

Nakomi43
04-05-16, 23:02

--Snips--

TeamCity is great, we are using that with Git for automated builds of our projects. Works great for building a devel branch for testing and a master branch for current.

The patch system that NC has is a disaster, would be great to see some type of streamlined patching system put into place to eliminate individual patches and be able to update from your installer straight to current with one update session instead of multiple.

JustVisiting
05-05-16, 09:21
Windows mail services (basic version) or exchange?

If you're more familiar with exim then why not just run up a VM using virtualbox or vmware on the windows machine and run a small linux distro with a proper MTA on it?

Failing that you have a few other options for bulk sending (million + a week) we send through amazon's email services costs like £10 a month for massive quantities + no need to deal with blacklisting etc just alter your SPF's to delegate their mail servers.
Or if you just needed a sending server hell you could use one of mine or even just pick up a micro vps and do it properly. I wouldn't trust windows mail services as far as I could throw the server that they ran on for just an hour or 2's work your savings would be massive in future time investment.

@general crazy: I have postfix kinda running on win10 ubuntu VM at the moment for testing its not quite right but not far off being useable.

Zoltan
05-05-16, 13:48
There is no problem with the services running on Windows. The admin who maintained the mailserver went awol end of the last year so important things were left undone. Bifrost and Trivaldi are going to clean up that mess now.

@ Odimara Orca
KOS!

;p

JustVisiting
05-05-16, 14:13
Just seems a waste of effort to spend a couple of weeks on and off fixing something that is fundamentally a simple/easy task using a proper industry standard MTA. I have done a brief technet search and can't find any standard windows smtp/mta without going to full blown exchange or using some thirdparty software which quite frankly all look terrible.

As a simple suggestion stop making life hard for yourselves especially as Bifrost mentions he knows exim already! Reduce your usage of obscure technologies and free up more time for you to do useful stuff.

Bifrost
05-05-16, 15:06
I believe I mentioned earlier, than some of the issues were caused by some DNS misconfiguration, so changing the MTA would not have fixed all the issues. The NST uses Exchange a lot, so I can't exactly go and replace it overnight with another MTA.

I don't consider Exchange an obscure technology. I see it more of a challenge to re-apply my skills and knowledge to fix the the problem. :)

JustVisiting
05-05-16, 16:04
I believe I mentioned earlier, than some of the issues were caused by some DNS misconfiguration, so changing the MTA would not have fixed all the issues. The NST uses Exchange a lot, so I can't exactly go and replace it overnight with another MTA.

I don't consider Exchange an obscure technology. I see it more of a challenge to re-apply my skills and knowledge to fix the the problem. :)

You know as well as I do correctly configuring DNS takes all of 5 minutes :)

Try openchange its a protocol complete re-implementation of exchange. If you're looking for more of a "drop in" windows server ad/exchange/av/fileshares etc look at zentyal.

Gotta remember the overheads of exchange are immense which would free up a load of resource both compute and storage/ram for you to use else where. Barking up the windows tree is costing you serious time/money especially when you have better linux based skills available to you. Perhaps time to stop thinking like a big enterprise and start thinking like a 2/3 man band.

Just suggestions but I've just gone through exactly the same migrations with 2 of my clients both are 400+ members of staff and the cost savings have been insane let alone the administration time/costs on an ongoing basis. I'd much prefer you had solid ancillary services and so could spend more time working on the actual game code base :) I don't have loads of time available to me but could probably help out with a couple of hours a week if you need help with smaller bits to allow you to focus on the important stuff.

Zoltan
05-05-16, 16:52
Lemme answer this in german:

"Hä?"

I mean I don't get it... Changing stuff on a DNS is just a damn *rightlick* on the domain-node.
The exchange is configured well, but in the meanwhile... wait.. in the absence of the admin who maintained that stuff * THE INTERNET * has changed, you know?

Changing stuff on a DNS will take some time,... days.. maybe weeks until all the stuff is replicated to other nameservers and caches.
Apart from that we do have replaced our dns servers as well - the old one at 'SchlundTech' had stopped working which led to a inconsistent dataset in * THE INTERNET *. Needless to say that other mailservices will reject your stuff if something is screwed with the dns, so tell me... where the heck is the relation between exchange, big enterprise, 400+ members and our problem with the dns?

JustVisiting
05-05-16, 17:36
OK since you're being all defensive about simple suggestions and an offer to help you out with the simple admin work side of things.

1) Why are you using exchange as your mta costs (licenses) + administration time are insane so unless you're using unlicensed you're wasting resources.

2) The internet has NOT changed in the couple of years you've been doing this I have several mail servers running none of which including their DNS has been changed in over 5 years none are black or block listed and none ever have delivery problems ever... where did your issues arise from ? what "changed" on the internet to cause you issues.

3) Why the living hell are you running your own dns servers ? common issues with small companies running their own dns servers are that the primary dns servers don't scavenge them often enough. Allow me to give you an example. Register domain with say 123-reg (bad example only one I could think of off top of my head) use their NS servers + their web panel for creating domain records. You'll have 99% propagation in under an hour globally. Alter said A record (this is the bit that can take a max of 48 hours usually altering existing records rather than creating new). You'll have global propagation in under 6 hours usually.
So I'll repeat again... why are you wasting time/resource running your own name servers.

4) Replacing dns servers again is a trivial job and if done properly you can deploy a fresh OS install + a dns server lets say bind in under an hour fully and correctly configured.

You're getting defensive and angsty over simple suggestions and offer to help but please do not assume anonymity is lack of knowledge. I've been doing all of what you're doing for a very very very long time I know what I'm talking about and broad statements without backup evidence or proof (as you're so fond of saying to others where they ask you to fix broken shit in the game) will not work to pull the wool over my eyes. I'm happy to discuss technical stuff with you to any detail you like if you doubt my knowledge you can pick my brains over system administration, network engineering, infrastructure design and coding (12+ languages you can pick from if you want).

What I'm trying to understand is why you are doing certain things in certain ways as to me a lot of what you're attempting is simply re-inventing the wheel and causing yourselves work for the sake of work, or as is commonly termed making a mountain out of a mole hill. You've repeatedly asked for volunteers and help and I don't have much time available to me but what little spare I have I was willing to donate to you with no expectation of anything in return.
After your previous response though I'm beginning to reconsider as it reads (now I know English isn't your main language so it may just have come across badly) you're basically saying "screw you i know what I'm doing you don't go away" which if that is your attitude I'm not surprised you don't have many volunteers and people who do say they'll help vanish randomly on you.

Zoltan
05-05-16, 18:01
OK since you're being all defensive about simple suggestions and an offer to help you out with the simple admin work side of things.

Because there is no help needed.

1) Why are you using exchange as your mta costs (licenses) + administration time are insane so unless you're using unlicensed you're wasting resources.

That's not right. We're just logging into exchange if we have to create a new mailbox. Example: If a new member joins.
I have no clue what you're talking about... seriously. Pretty sure we've stated very often that the exchange ISN'T that problem

2) The internet has NOT changed in the couple of years you've been doing this I have several mail servers running none of which including their DNS has been changed in over 5 years none are black or block listed and none ever have delivery problems ever... where did your issues arise from ? what "changed" on the internet to cause you issues.

No comment on this because it deserves no attention. You're right, there are no spambots, no botnets, no security risk, the internet is still the unicorn-rainbow-land we had back in the 90ths :)

3) Why the living hell are you running your own dns servers ? common issues with small companies running their own dns servers are that the primary dns servers don't scavenge them often enough. Allow me to give you an example. Register domain with say 123-reg (bad example only one I could think of off top of my head) use their NS servers + their web panel for creating domain records. You'll have 99% propagation in under an hour globally. Alter said A record (this is the bit that can take a max of 48 hours usually altering existing records rather than creating new). You'll have global propagation in under 6 hours usually.
So I'll repeat again... why are you wasting time/resource running your own name servers.

You better read and understand the need and concept of a DNS, ActiveDirectory and how a "hidden" primary is working and of course WHY you have to run it on a infrastructure such like neocron-game.com.

4) Replacing dns servers again is a trivial job and if done properly you can deploy a fresh OS install + a dns server lets say bind in under an hour fully and correctly configured.

I am afraid to say: Nope, you still didn't got it.

You're getting defensive and angsty over simple suggestions and offer to help but please do not assume anonymity is lack of knowledge. I've been doing all of what you're doing for a very very very long time I know what I'm talking about and broad statements without backup evidence or proof (as you're so fond of saying to others where they ask you to fix broken shit in the game) will not work to pull the wool over my eyes. I'm happy to discuss technical stuff with you to any detail you like if you doubt my knowledge you can pick my brains over system administration, network engineering, infrastructure design and coding (12+ languages you can pick from if you want).

What I'm trying to understand is why you are doing certain things in certain ways as to me a lot of what you're attempting is simply re-inventing the wheel and causing yourselves work for the sake of work, or as is commonly termed making a mountain out of a mole hill. You've repeatedly asked for volunteers and help and I don't have much time available to me but what little spare I have I was willing to donate to you with no expectation of anything in return.
After your previous response though I'm beginning to reconsider as it reads (now I know English isn't your main language so it may just have come across badly) you're basically saying "screw you i know what I'm doing you don't go away" which if that is your attitude I'm not surprised you don't have many volunteers and people who do say they'll help vanish randomly on you.

Yes please keep in mind we're a bunch of scriptkiddies with huge servers and just a knowledge of some youtube tutorials.

Z

Zoltan
05-05-16, 18:12
TeamCity is great, we are using that with Git for automated builds of our projects. Works great for building a devel branch for testing and a master branch for current.

The patch system that NC has is a disaster, would be great to see some type of streamlined patching system put into place to eliminate individual patches and be able to update from your installer straight to current with one update session instead of multiple.

^ This.

As new distribution system is already planned - the new "patchformat" implemented but the rest isn't done yet.
An very early version of it is already in use for our internal testserver and tools.

The focus has changed in the meanwhile so we still stucked at the old patchsystem which is - you're right - ... a mess.

A CLI version is just a workaround with low risk and high value ROI. The team is able to push out updates to vedeena without waiting for me to just do it manually. Win for everyone, because creating patches by hand is just a PITA.

Z

Divide
05-05-16, 18:13
you're basically saying "screw you i know what I'm doing you don't go away" which if that is your attitude I'm not surprised you don't have many volunteers and people who do say they'll help vanish randomly on you.

Yes please keep in mind we're a bunch of scriptkiddies with huge servers and just a knowledge of some youtube tutorials.

Z

that just happened

Drachenpaladin
05-05-16, 18:50
Well, I guess now ist obvious why they are so opaque about all their work... petty discussions on technicallities and every bum joins in because they know it better anyway. Merry times we have! :angel:

JustVisiting
05-05-16, 19:04
wow... i just wow... i don't even have an answer for such responses.

I'll just make it clear I never questioned your abilities however bifrost did make it clear that there was an ipv6 transport issue which believe it or not isn't a DNS issue. The only response I can give to your's is really just to say this and walk away.

"Yes please keep in mind we're a bunch of scriptkiddies with huge servers and just a knowledge of some youtube tutorials."

Drachenpaladin
05-05-16, 19:15
The only response I can give to your's is really just to say this and walk away.

Wheren't you just visiting anyways?

yeah, i know, i feel terrible smug right now...

Zoltan
05-05-16, 20:04
Well, I guess now ist obvious why they are so opaque about all their work... petty discussions on technicallities and every bum joins in because they know it better anyway. Merry times we have! :angel:

I am always open for new things. The infrastructure we have is now working well so far since 2012. Yes, sure we do had encountered problems like HDD crashs, DDOS attacks, problems with external services. We do have it, google, amazon, microsoft aswell will have it and I pretty sure other people will have those problem too from time to time.

I am aware about the people around here who are sceptical of everything Microsoft releases but this is just unworldy and I am pretty sure the most of them didn't made their opinion their own by using ms products on a productive system.

We do not have the 90s anymore where MS was the bad and evil monopolist ;)

Nakomi43
06-05-16, 05:32
^ This.

As new distribution system is already planned - the new "patchformat" implemented but the rest isn't done yet.
An very early version of it is already in use for our internal testserver and tools.

The focus has changed in the meanwhile so we still stucked at the old patchsystem which is - you're right - ... a mess.

A CLI version is just a workaround with low risk and high value ROI. The team is able to push out updates to vedeena without waiting for me to just do it manually. Win for everyone, because creating patches by hand is just a PITA.

Z

Understandable it will take awhile to implement. Neocron is a fragile creature originated in VS6 if I recall. The amount of work to bring it into the new age, and then force a new patching system down its throat without it throwing up all over you must be insane.

I tip my hat to you.

Odimara Orca
06-05-16, 12:07
"You fixed the problem, thank you. I don't give a shit how you run your infrastructure."

- I'm Odimara Orca and i approve this message

JasonX2000
07-05-16, 01:42
wow... i just wow... i don't even have an answer for such responses.

I'll just make it clear I never questioned your abilities however bifrost did make it clear that there was an ipv6 transport issue which believe it or not isn't a DNS issue.

Thats not fully true.
They said that gmail wanted to communicate in IPv6. That does not point to a transport issue. It still could be possible they don't get a IPv4 Adress back when resolving DNS.
You don't know. They did not mentioned why it wants to communicate in IPv6.

2. You are not helping either.
Help means fixing a Problem in an existing System and not to say "change your system, it is bad."Just because you do not preffer it.

3. A good configuerd Exchange Server does not need a lot maintenance either.
Our Company has exhange too and it runs and runs. No Problems there.
You said it like a fact. But its "just" your opinion. Fact != Opinion.

And license costs? If they already own some licenses it costs 0$. So why not use it?

And before anyone says something.
I have some Debian Servers running too, cause i like playing around on Linux systems too. So no MS fanboying.

@ Zoltan, just keep going. As you said. MS is not the bad monopolist ;)

Best Regards.
Jason

William Antrim
09-05-16, 13:03
Let's not snipe each other gents, this is brainport. Community talk is the other end of the forum. However getting down to details of what is delaying things is a great insight for all of us. Even if people don't all understand the issues at heart it really helps to know that there are people who do.

Keep up the good work, it is appreciated by everyone.

bmurph101
14-05-16, 07:04
*Pokes head into thread. Sees a ton of computer/tech talk that looks like walls of mumbo jumbo.*

*Slowly backs out of thread.*