PDA

View Full Version : Always considered trying NC

Nuvibe
29-11-15, 11:46
Hi many years ago I was considering trying NC, but after trying to download the game and what appeared to be a dodgy account set up (around the time of developers demise I think) I aired on the side of caution and gave up. Now during another mmo dry spell I see it appears to be still running, but then I read about a conversion to a browser game and I'm totally lost as to what form this game is playable in?
So I have a few questions...do people play this game? I see on tech havens webby 14 online 1% full? Do people actually run this game for no financial gain for around 20 people? Is it safe or a scam (that's probably a stupid question not like they'd admit to it heh)
Maybe I'm just nervous from my experience when I did try to play NC years ago...when links seem to take me to 3rd party account sub pages if memory serves me right

aKe`cj
29-11-15, 12:52
Hi many years ago I was considering trying NC, but after trying to download the game and what appeared to be a dodgy account set up (around the time of developers demise I think) I aired on the side of caution and gave up. Now during another mmo dry spell I see it appears to be still running, but then I read about a conversion to a browser game and I'm totally lost as to what form this game is playable in?
So I have a few questions...do people play this game? I see on tech havens webby 14 online 1% full? Do people actually run this game for no financial gain for around 20 people? Is it safe or a scam (that's probably a stupid question not like they'd admit to it heh)
Maybe I'm just nervous from my experience when I did try to play NC years ago...when links seem to take me to 3rd party account sub pages if memory serves me right

Yes, it appears odd, but the game is indeed kept afloat with 20+ concurrent players. However I would disagree that people run this game _for_ 20 players ... they run it because it is a fun hobby for them.

Is it a scam? Nope ... but you should still assume that any details you enter could eventually fall in the hands of third parties. [edit] That said, it is certainly not a scam - just make sure to use throwaway passwords and maybe not your most pristine e-mail account.

What form is this game playable in?
Windows installer / game launcher, runs on DirectX and is not a browser game. Porting NC to Unity never left the stages of a very early tech demo and never received any publisher interest or funding.

Is it worth playing the game in the current form?
Not for me, but YMMV.

Nuvibe
29-11-15, 14:04
Thanks for the reply. I've Been checking out YouTube reviews and oddly enough it still appeals to me so don't be surprised if I don't ask a few more questions before I take a punt :)